Custom Glass Ideas/Designs Thread

treeman

IDK, I'm kind of against VXL hydratube patent, the rockzap bubbler is basically a hydratube and was out before VXL had any glass made, I'm pretty sure there are other examples as well. I certainly don't think VXL came up with the concept and they've went and patented any bong with the inlet on the bottom of the piece. I wouldn't be opposed to China making them. I think patents get a bit daft at points.

Those sputnik pieces are insane! I'd kinda' be impressed if Chinese glassblowers could recreate them well.

Erwin

Honeybuckets!!! Yes. I'm so happy to see honeybucket-related discussion suddenly spring up both here and in the cheap bubbler thread at the same time. I was planning to bring up honey buckets here. I know they've been found from time to time on alibaba, but I've never seem them sold reliably, and never on dhgate. I think a quartz honeybucket-esque design would be a huge hit. I'd be all over one.

More specifically, though, what I'm interested in and have not found everywhere is the OFZ to accompany it. For those unfimiliar, an OFZ is a carb cap custom designed by MS for the honeybucket:

Mothership_OFZ_carb_cap__03375.1414230209.1280.1280.JPG

gfg-104-045.jpg

They're designed to crate the perfect convection oven inside the bucket, and are praised as being considerably more efficient than the standard titanium carb cap. I've only tried one once, but I can attest that it was one of the best dabs of my life.

I'm all about the low temp dabs, so I haven't been interested in the alibaba buckets due to lack of OFZ. The two need to fit together pretty well, so I can't imagine a stand alone OFZ would be of much use to anyone, but a set... well that's where I'm betting the money is. :brow:

Anyone else here interested???

Also, @EverythingsHazy: I hope there's no ill will between us, my comments above were in no way meant to criticize or offend. I'm very appreciative of the role you play in this community and have no intention of undermining that. I'm simply very excited about the idea of glass design which isn't bogged down by arguments of intellectual property, and enthusiastic about being a part of that process. I'm also quite happy to be getting back to coming up with ideas and desingns!

EverythingsHazy

Also, @EverythingsHazy: I hope there's no ill will between us, my comments above were in no way meant to criticize or offend. I'm very appreciative of the role you play in this community and have no intention of undermining that. I'm simply very excited about the idea of glass design which isn't bogged down by arguments of intellectual property, and enthusiastic about being a part of that process. I'm also quite happy to be getting back to coming up with ideas and desingns!

We're cool. No bad blood man.

blankrider

@EverythingsHazy would you mind responding to my question
Them who? Did you find someone interested in working with you?
I feel as though you have been pretty disrespectful to me and everything I have contributed to the forum. I would really like to see your contributions considering all I have seen is you starting a thread based on something that I had already been working on. The fact that you try to take credit and control is even more bothersome. That once it was made public who I was working with you thought it was OK to try and go around me and FC in an attempt to get your way. You seem to be an incredibly selfish person and you have taken a small slice of joy out of this project.

Please let us know if and when you are ever able to find a different seller to produce your designs

EverythingsHazy

Yes, I found another seller. I haven't given them any designs yet tho out of respect to Steven. I've said that in a few posts already.

I feel as though you have been pretty disrespectful to me and everything I have contributed to the forum. I would really like to see your contributions considering all I have seen is you starting a thread based on something that I had already been working on.

I posted a pic of a concept piece I thought would be awesome, a bunch of people thought it would be cool as well, you told me to message you about working on pieces, and I made a thread to showcase any pieces that were just concepts to see how the other members responded, without clogging up the other thread and having people asking where to get the bubblers in the pics, as they don't exist yet. I started with the first piece, which was the one I originally posted.

The fact that you try to take credit and control is even more bothersome. That once it was made public who I was working with you thought it was OK to try and go around me and FC in an attempt to get your way.

If I wanted credit, I would've justskipped over you and gone to the source in the beginning with some pictures based on what people on here asked for in this thread. That wasn't my goal. I just wanted to see the fc-186 made since it'd be awesome. Also, if you aren't getting paid from this, why do you want to be the only one who gets to talk to steven, aside from having your name behind all the pieces that everyone designs? I personally don't care about that.

You seem to be an incredibly selfish person and you have taken a small slice of joy out of this project.

Not only did I find another glass blower who is willing to make new pieces to stock, but they are also able to make single custom pieces. I could easily give them the design and ask for one, but odds are they are going to just want to use it for their stock anyway, and steven will lose business when he was the first one willing to work with the fc community.

Please let us know if and when you are ever able to find a different seller to produce your designs

Replies in quote. I'm on good terms with most people here, and I'm not going to spite myself by holding any grudges. Whatever anyone else chooses is up to them. I have nothing else to say on the matter.

EverythingsHazy,
Reactions: grdwaste

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Replies in quote. I'm on good terms with most people here, and I'm not going to spite myself by holding any grudges. Whatever anyone else chooses is up to them. I have nothing else to say on the matter.
As I mentioned before, please take this discussion to PMs. It's the holidays for Christsakes....

Peace, love and vapor for all!

:peace:

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
So just saw this in the cheap thread:
@NorthernHuskie just wait. I'm working on getting an FC-242 made. It is going to be amazing. Here is the very first rough prototype.
other_955099468_00.jpg

If the GB-242 does come back in stock I do recommend picking one up. Mine has become my daily driver dab rig

Just my quick :2c:
I personally would like to see that return funnel a bit bigger...
More like the return funnels on the kathy double recycler in shape...
(I'm talking say increase the diameter of the funnel by 25%, and increase the height of the funnel by 50-75%)

I can't see if it has one already from the pics, but a slight restriction at the bottom of the return funnel seems to help with vortexing action.

Ideally the uptake arms will connect to the return funnel at an angle instead of straight in to the sides. (Looks like it might already have that, bit hard to tell from that angle :))

But aside from those very minor notes, holy shit will I be buying that :lol:

Just got a new laptop for Xmas :D so I'll be able to knock up some rough sketches of the ideas I'm talking about if needed :)

tennstrong

Hmm @Frederick McGuire got me thinking, why are we so quick to pick up this style of return funnel/vortex chamber as opposed to something more like the baby cake double barrel style? Personally I think it would fit the form better, look more mobius-ey/professional with maybe a mouthpiece styled similarly to the pyrology rigs (pyrology/sov/mob/ms have best mouthpieces of what I've used, with pyrology just behind MS imo[aside from the massive width of MS mouthpieces]), and adding a couple maria's (hollow would help but not necessary) to the mouthpiece to avoid splashback.
TLDR; my vision of this piece would have a
1. larger (than the currently made) baby cake chamber above the matrix perc with a large open funnel (these function better in my opinion, with many recyclers with small down funnels there will be a point the water is getting backed up and not correctly functioning/mouth full of water), still with 2 intake tubes (but honestly, vortexing is out of the picture for most tubes from china anyway due to difficulty to reproduce without flaw),
2. with a pyrology-style mouthpiece (as in this pic). And since the recycling tube is now above the piece (hollow marias can/will help with splashback if they are do-able by the factory),
3. a jointed lead (preferably high up on the piece/reinforced) into the piece is necessary (as in toro/other stemless tubes). Anyway this is just me spit balling ideas. The d-cycler knockoff (if it ever happens) will be an insta buy for me though (and others so I hear) so it might be a good source for ideas.
Pyrology_D_cycler_18_mm_female_2.JPG

NorthernHuskie

I posted it on the other thread but I'll post it here as well.

1 - There looks like theres still part of the downstem coming down after the martix
2 - Arms need to enter the recycling chamber at an angle
3 - The recycling chamber needs to be a tad bigger

Also whats up with all the interest in honeybuckets? I read on the Cheap Bubbler forum that they are more conservative or something like that but I've never really looked into them. Anyone care to shed a little light?

NorthernHuskie,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I feel the exact same way but you beat me to the post. Hamm is the godfather and everyone else in the game kind of owes him. I have no problem with knocking off MS and plenty of others. Of course no carbed gongs. If anyone Chinese or American started making them I'd hope they would get zero support.

Did you see earl jr just redefined the honey bucket because he is an original gangster. He is calling it the Erlr

OK, this has to be said. I have no dog in this fight and haven't even been making design suggestions for these products that I am perfectly happy to see made, some of which I intend to buy. But I m very confused and a little disturbed by some of what is being said and what directions this project may take.

I would seem to me that we are either encouraging Chinese blowers to knock off other peoples designs or we are not. But to suggest some DESIGNERS are sacred and untouchable and others are not seems like a fools game. I wouldn't buy a @VaPeD&CoNfUsEd knockoff because I feel like I know him and that would be disrespectful. On top of that @VaPeD&CoNfUsEd designs are financially within my reach and I can buy something he makes (at this time before he becomes nationally known) if I choose to. That is a personal decision and an exception.

But we can't encourage the Chinese to knock off Hamm because he is an eminent designer? I thought that is why we are DOING this. Why is Hamm safe and MS is not? Who decides who is OK to knock off and who isn't? There are Earl Jr designs that I might like to own, but I can't BUY an Earl Jr. I'd like a Fab Egg. I'm certainly not buying one of $2K. It was a unique design just a bit ago, and now several vendors make them. Or a Klein or an Incycler.

Picking winners and losers in the general glass market isn't what were here for, but it seems like that is what we are doing. Somehow WE are deciding who can be knocked off, and I'm not sure how to do that fairly. I think we either need to make it open to anyone without a design patent, or we need to decide if we are doing the right thing. Sorry if I am a wet blanket... :worms:

grdwaste

Glass Psycho
I have a connect on MS OFZ quartz knockoff buckets, posted in the other thread. Let me know demand so I can place an order.
Pic: http://imgur.com/71izVL3
Still kinda worried about these. Definitely need more pics. Whats the minimum order you need? I would just be careful because the design looked pretty weird from the first pic. No O-Rings where the swing attaches too the bucket and the OFZ stem seems a bit short as stated by @Deadshort480 in the honey bucket thread. No problem buying one after these minor details are sorted out.

tennstrong

Still kinda worried about these. Definitely need more pics. Whats the minimum order you need? I would just be careful because the design looked pretty weird from the first pic. No O-Rings where the swing attaches too the bucket and the OFZ stem seems a bit short as stated by @Deadshort480 in the honey bucket thread. No problem buying one after these minor details are sorted out.

Not sure how the OFZ knockoff stem is short/can't find the post saying it is, you don't want it to be touching your material and it seems as though the buckets sit slightly higher which may be the reason. Also as stated in the other thread they do have o-rings on their enail buckets (pic) & it is extremely easy to add your own like a silicone solo o-ring but smaller. But I've inquired if they will add them to the honeybuckets as well. I can get measurements and such on the ofz knockoff stem length if people really are put off by that alone.

tennstrong,

Deadshort480

We're here to fuck shit up.
The bottom of the stem has to sit at least even with or below the slit in the Quartz. A bucket is made, then the Quartz is fitted, finally the cap is made to fit everything. If that stem doesn't sit in the quartz properly as far as length then it does not do its job well and oil will pool.

Buckets, the Quartz swings, and the caps are all pretty much made to order as a set. MS has standardized their sizing so that parts can be exchanged. Custom orders not made by MS are usually made as matching sets which is why you see the high prices they go at.

Deadshort480,

blankrider

@cybrguy I totally feel you and what you are saying about not picking and choosing who is off limits. I see it similarly to racist jokes, it's not that bad if you make fun of everyone. I hope you get my analogy.

I wasn't trying to say that anyone was off limits. I guess I was just voicing my soft spot for a few very original artist. Ones that bring a hell of a lot to the game but have kind of a smaller following. Like I said in my last post pretty much everyone owes Hamm. He is a wizard of function. Yet many people seem to not even know who he is. There is a literal mothership fanboy army that goes around talking trash about everything that is not MS calling it a ripoff or fake. Gets under my skin to the point I almost get a sick satisfaction out ms knockoffs now. I feel far less good about ripping off Hamm but to be impartial no one is off limits. Carry on

edit: also some things should not be ripped off because they could not be done right. Like most sculptural glass art is out of the question. If China did make a munny or a Dino it would be all wrong

Last edited:

EverythingsHazy

I get both sides to the being selective about who we make piece a based on.

On one hand, it isn't fair to choose who gets cheaper versions of their stuff made, but on the other hand, part of what makes these Chinese pieces "acceptable" is the insane price gouging from some of the bigger companies. It's almost a Robin Hood situation, where you don't want to steal from the poor, or in this case, the small business owners trying to make a living without being able to have the pieces made in a huge factory for cents on the dollar.

With the lack of patents due to legality, and the fact that a lot of this glass is art mixed with functionality, the morality line is a bit fuzzy.

blankrider

@tennstrong your design would look good but I am doubtful it would function well. The entire purpose of the baby cake can shape is to control the splash and keep it from reaching the top. Each step up in the cake is like a splash guard of sorts. Also adding extra flare to things can increase difficulty and production time which increase cost. Not that it will be a substantial difference and not that it wouldn't be worth it, just something to think about.

@EverythingsHazy somehow I missed your response. Since you do have someone else who wants to make custom glass I suggest that you start right now on designs that are not currently being worked on by Steven and I. That way we could all have more glass sooner. Because even though I have prototypes for some of these it will take a bit for them to be ready for sale. Perhaps you could look into a Hamm design or that Revere rig with the hollow center or something. There are so many designs that could be produced no one has to step on anyone's toes and everyone can win.

Deadshort480

We're here to fuck shit up.
I must admit that I don't dig straight copies. A lot of artists do the same patterns, but may change certain things or add their own flair. I can respect this. If an artist takes an existing design and somehow makes it their own by adding something, removing something, or even scaling it larger or smaller, then it's just drawing inspiration. I'm not a big fan of seeing a design that an artist worked on for however many days, weeks, months being directly copied to look exactly like the original. If you're going to draw inspiration from an existing design, at least try to add a twist or make it different enough to set it apart from the original. That's my opinion.

By the way, MS has not driven their prices to what they are now. As far as I know, MS still offers their work at somewhat reasonable prices. Secondhand sales have driven them to the price points they are at. We as the consumers have let them become expensive by paying the ridiculous prices private sellers are asking. Shops and Galleries see the trend in the upswing of prices and jump on board. It's the American way. If people refused to pay the prices then you would see a rapid reduction in cost. I absolutely blame the fanboys and label whores that throw money at what's hot.

turdhole

vagabond
the reason these chinese pieces are even selling is because of the extremely low cost to produce a brand/style that's been overhyped over here, lots of profit to be made off melted sand

edit. disclaimer, i've been drinking...

turdhole,
Top Bottom