Crafty/Crafty+ by Storz & Bickel

Modicum

Guy's thanks for the input. A gentleman at a local smoke shop thinks the warranty would be voided.He says my friend could get his own app & reregister the Crafty
as his own and the setup would work fine but in case of a problem, S&B would only recognize the original owner for warranty claims and that the serial number of the unit being reregistered voids the original agreement. I can't see any way around this, can you?

Modicum,

ktmstick

Guy's thanks for the input. A gentleman at a local smoke shop thinks the warranty would be voided.He says my friend could get his own app & reregister the Crafty
as his own and the setup would work fine but in case of a problem, S&B would only recognize the original owner for warranty claims and that the serial number of the unit being reregistered voids the original agreement. I can't see any way around this, can you?
I warranted a Crafty I bought 2nd hand off ebay. The vibrate failed and they sent me a new one. As long as you have a receipt for proof of date of purchase they will cover you. Re registering the Crafty on another phone has nothing to do with the warranty. I have lent my Crafty to multiple people that have set it up on their phone.

Poostuff

Please delete
I’ve got the updated version with 5 hours use so far & I’ve been getting 36 minutes out of the battery.
That would be about 29 minutes without the extra 20% I guess.

I run it on 210c with vibration on, auto shutoff at 120 seconds & the LEDs on the lowest setting.
Sessions last around 5 - 6 minutes typically but if I use a capsule it’s over in a couple of draws.
I imagine if I lower my preferred temperature & turn the LEDs completely off & it’d last longer.

The Crafty performs pretty well & with a magazine full of capsules convenient portability is not just a concept anymore.
The capsules definitely do not put out as much vapor as overpacking the chamber does but they do work & with the ease of cleaning & convenience I’ll use them quite a bit.
It’s just a shame the Crafty is let down by the short battery life, what a winner it would be with a replaceable battery.

I see some people upgrading to a Mighty but I don’t feel a Mighty is an upgrade except for the price. Sure it costs more but it does exactly the same thing as the Crafty does just for longer & with less options.
It feels cheaper than the Crafty & the screen looks a bit crappy for the price.
On saying that if battery life was was a primary concern I’d buy the Mighty instead.

biohacker

The capsules definitely do not put out as much vapor as overpacking the chamber does

Ah yes, this was my experience also! I guess I just got used to the massive plumes of vapour when overpacking that bowl directly compared to a full capsule that gave me mostly wispy vapour that didn't last very long.

I see some people upgrading to a Mighty but I don’t feel a Mighty is an upgrade except for the price. Sure it costs more but it does exactly the same thing as the Crafty does just for longer & with less options.

I wouldn't say it does exactly the same as the Crafty. The Mighty can heat up faster, maintain its temp better, heat up time isn't affected by the battery life (Crafty heatup on 2nd session is slower, and 3rd even worse). The Cooling unit is bigger and is slightly better at cooling IMO. The Mighty doesn't get super hot in my hand like the crafty nor give overheating warnings.

I'd say the opposite in that the only benefit of the crafty over the mighty is its size.

vapviking

Old & In the Way

From Support page at S&B website, under "Purchase and Warranty":

What is covered by the warranty?
The warranty covers manufacturer defects within the warranty period. The warranty is 3 years with the VOLCANO and the PLENTY and 2 years with the MIGHTY and the CRAFTY. The warranty will be valid for any original STORZ & BICKEL Vaporizer, regardless of where it was purchased. Defects due to normal use or wear are not covered by the warranty. Parts subject to wear such as batteries, screens, and similar are excluded from the warranty.
Where do I register my Vaporizer?
The proof of warranty for the Vaporizer is your invoice or sales slip showing the date of purchase. We do not have an extra warranty card in the box and you do not have to register for it.
Is the warranty valid, although I did not order directly in your store?
The warranty will be valid for any original STORZ & BICKEL Vaporizer, regardless of where it was purchased."

There is no registration process, only a claims process.
There are references made to "registering" with the app, but this really on means "pairing" a Crafty to a given phone/device, and it can be changed at will.
Lots of folks here have reported that, even as second-hand owners, they have received warranty service.

It feels cheaper than the Crafty & the screen looks a bit crappy for the price.
On saying that if battery life was was a primary concern I’d buy the Mighty instead.

Materials/ quality of build are almost identical, so I don't agree that one "feels" cheaper than the other. Screens are identical and inter-changeable (unless you're referring to the temp readout screen!, which, on mine, has been flawless for 2 years now).

@biohacker is correct that heatup time is faster with Mighty and it (and it's batteries!) stay a little cooler during use.

Because there are two batteries in Mighty, their useful lifespan without replacement will be approximately double that of the single one in Crafty.

The charging circuitry in Mighty is more robust (at 12 volt vs. 5 in Crafty's usb method) and Mighty will charge to full faster than Crafty.

Mighty uses pass-thru charging and can be used as a plug-in even when batteries are depleted.

As for less options, I consider Mighty's on-board temp. status read-out and controls to be an advantage over needing to use a separate device to control Crafty. For me the app is just kinda gimmicky, other than the readout of #hrs total usage, which is 'interesting' but has no practical application.
(I've owned 4 Crafty's, but only one Mighty, which has outlasted the combined life of the other 4.)

headdoctor

I have a basic question about the Crafty and I'd appreciate any insights. I am a daily user but a light one. My Volcano is over five years old and I love it. It does exactly what I want: it's reliable, it's durable, it's easy-peasy, and it gets the job done.

I have wanted a portable for occasional travel. I've owned the original iterations of both the Pax and Solo ... and gave them both away. Too much fussing for too little result.

Perhaps because I love my Volcano so much, I've been tempted by the Crafty since it was released. I want something that is easy to use, reliable, and produces good vapor. I have no interest in the Mighty. I have read extensively about the battery issues with the Crafty; I'm such a light user that, for occasional travel, I'm not worried about that. I also don't care about the app. I want a portable that is easy to use, dependable, and effective.

So my question is simply that: other than the battery problems (which I don't discount), would the Crafty be a good choice for me? Is there another portable that is more reliable and easy to operate?

(I think I asked something like this perhaps two years ago; I've been pondering this for a while!)

Thanks, everyone!

MinnBobber

I want a portable that is easy to use, dependable, and effective.

So my question is simply that: other than the battery problems (which I don't discount), would the Crafty be a good choice for me? Is there another portable that is more reliable and easy to operate?
..................................................................................................
The Crafty is easy to use and effective but much less dependable than the Mighty. Can you elaborate why the Mighty does not interest you please? That might help the discussion.
Mighty is easy, effective, AND dependable--and bigger battery and the screen readout is so user friendly. Unless you absolutely need the smaller size Crafty, the Mighty is a great option. IMO, neither really are a "pocket vape" (fit in a jeans pocket) but both work in a jacket pocket or backpack so would the Mighty work?

If size is not the issue ( and bigger than Mighty is not an issue) , I'd highly recommend the miniVAP. It's a little bigger than the Mighty but how would you use this vape when travelling- in motel rooms and car and in private? Or out and about in public--then no.
More info would help get you better advice

MinnBobber,
Reactions: vapviking

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
@headdoctor the Crafty is a solid unit, it's expensive, it is limited to a good 3 bowls per charge, it will extract damn near everything from your material. It may fail so you will have to deal with a warranty exchange. This means no vaporizer, this can be a serious concern if you are a patient. If there is a better portable flower vape in a similar form factor I am all ears. Otherwise, I think this may be the best?

Mr. Me2

I have a basic question about the Crafty and I'd appreciate any insights. I am a daily user but a light one. My Volcano is over five years old and I love it. It does exactly what I want: it's reliable, it's durable, it's easy-peasy, and it gets the job done.

I have wanted a portable for occasional travel. I've owned the original iterations of both the Pax and Solo ... and gave them both away. Too much fussing for too little result.

Perhaps because I love my Volcano so much, I've been tempted by the Crafty since it was released. I want something that is easy to use, reliable, and produces good vapor. I have no interest in the Mighty. I have read extensively about the battery issues with the Crafty; I'm such a light user that, for occasional travel, I'm not worried about that. I also don't care about the app. I want a portable that is easy to use, dependable, and effective.

(I think I asked something like this perhaps two years ago; I've been pondering this for a while!)

Thanks, everyone!
I suggest you post a new thread in Ask FC. That way you'll get lots of suggestions and recommendations not just talking about the Crafty. Like consider the Fury2...

headdoctor

Thank you all so much for your responses. I wish there was a portable that was as no-brainer easy as the Volcano.

MinnBobber, I looked very hard at the miniVAP a year or more ago, and about the time that I stopped looking one of the veteran FC mods had started taking on the US distribution. But before that it seemed like an endless series of emails being sent to Spain (??) and I didn't want to get into international issues. It seemed like the miniVAP was high quality but a bit quirky. But maybe that has improved?

My use is never in public, only hotel rooms or houses where I'm staying.

And I know I should be more open to the Mighty, and I'll think again about that. I love the idea of something smaller ... and I just SO want the Crafty to be the thing.

Psychonaut, thank you. I think that sums things up well. I don't mind being without one in case of warranty issues; I have my 'Cano.

Mr. Me2, I hear you. I could post my question there--or I could just do the research by reading more of the portable threads. My reservation about posting the question is that I'm likely to get 20 answers, mostly from well-intentioned people who have never used anything other than their own portable. And, again, I really want a Crafty and want it to work!

Again, many thanks to you all. I guess I'll let it sit ... but not for another two years, I hope.

Last edited:

JCat

Accessory Maker
Thank you all so much for your responses. I wish there was a portable that was as no-brainer easy as the Volcano.

MinnBobber, I looked very hard at the miniVAP a year or more ago, and about the time that I stopped looking one of the veteran FC mods had started taking on the US distribution. But before that it seemed like an endless series of emails being sent to Spain (??) and I didn't want to get into international issues. It seemed like the miniVAP was high quality but a bit quirky. But maybe that has improved?

My use is never in public, only hotel rooms or houses where I'm staying.

And I know I should be more open to the Mighty, and I'll think again about that. I love the idea of something smaller ... and I just SO want the Crafty to be the thing.

Psychonaut, thank you. I think that sums things up well. I don't mind being without one in case of warranty issues; I have my 'Cano.

Mr. Me2, I hear you. I could post my question there--or I could just do the research by reading more of the portable threads. My reservation about posting the question is that I'm likely to get 20 answers, mostly from well-intentioned people who have never used anything other than their own portable. And, again, I really want a Crafty and want it to work!

Again, many thanks to you all. I guess I'll let it sit ... but not for another two years, I hope.
I've had my Crafty since the start and it's still one of my best portables

Modicum

Has anyone gotten a new iPhone recently ? Looking at iPhone 8 but afraid of losing my IQ , FF2 & Crafty apps . The IQ & Crafty apps seem to be still available thru
Apple but not the FF.

Modicum,

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
@Modicum There is an issue with the FF app. Go over the the FF2 thread for more info. Don’t know about the IQ, but the Crafty App is working just fine.

Jill NYC,

Modicum

Sorry for not being clear enough, my Crafty & IQ apps are working fine and I know that FF is having a problem with Apple. My question being ,is Apple having a monetary dispute with FF or they against the entire cannabis industry ? ( Even if they recently applied for a patent for a vape of their own)
My concern would be, If I get a new iPhone will I be able to keep these apps and download firmware updates in the future. I was asking for anyone who may have gone through this procedure already.

Modicum,

HD Springer

The ff app is back up and running on apple products @Modicum. Not sure what it was all about.
After owning the Crafty for a bit I must admit one thing I've noticed is how easy it is to out pull the heater. The auto shut off is only put in use when I don't actually take a hit for that 3 min. it's set at. As soon as I take a pull the heat drops and the timer is reset when it gets back up to the set temp.

HD Springer,
Reactions: Modicum

justcametomind

Thanks, everyone!
I think you will be perfectly fine with a Crafty.
Since you are a light user and don't like messing with the app, you should be ok with factory set temperature. IIRC base temp is 180C and boost temp is 195C. After experimenting a lot with my first Crafty unit, I'm out of warranty and trying to babysit my new unit. I no more mess with max temp, waterpipe adapters, group use to preserve the unit's life. I think using factory presets is perfect. I also have a Volcano at home and that's where I get my light ABV perfectly toasted.

Crafty Vaper

Ain't easy being green
Hi fellas :wave:, I switched the battery in my Crafty at 343 hours. :brow:
I bought it in December 14 and I had 3 Replacements. First one 80 hours, second 200 hours, third 227 hours and now I have a new battery in my 343 hour old crafty.
So until now I payed ~0,32 € per day and it still works! Vape on fellas!:rockon:

Slagzord

Don't fuckle with shuckle
Picked up my unit just about a month ago. Rocking 15ish hours on there. Loving the damned thing. I set it to 175c and work my way up to 190 in 2 degree increments. 2-3 pulls, up the temps. I also just rock the factory default when I'm feeling less fussy with such fine control. Been fusksing with concentrates with mixed results. Not totally sure if I dig the concentrates feature...

Slagzord,

Astedra

I got a brand new crafty in box unopened, with the extra 20% battery life, if I sell it would the warranty transfer over?

Astedra,

Pimpslapper

I got my crafty today firmware 2.53
But the box said nothing about extra 20 percent battery
Is it indeed the new version?
Thanks

Pimpslapper,

ktmstick

I got a brand new crafty in box unopened, with the extra 20% battery life, if I sell it would the warranty transfer over?

Yes, copy of receipt is all that's required, doesn't matter who purchased it.
I got my crafty today firmware 2.53
But the box said nothing about extra 20 percent battery
Is it indeed the new version?
Thanks

Not sure, that firmware is certainly the latest and the 20% more is just a sticker on the box. Only sure way would be to contact s&b.

Pimpslapper

I use my crafty fairly heavily (5-8 bowls on weeknights, 10-15 on weekends). I'm pretty bad about cleaning it, and only get around to doing so once a month. It's gets pretty gummy in the screen, and I'm always amazed at how much better it tastes after I clean it. I don't usually have to scrape because I put my CU in a small jar with a lid, fill it so the cu is fully submersed in ISO, and then put it into a hot water bath in my plugged up kitchen sink. After about 5 mins, I shake it like crazy and my cu looks brand new.

However, you can totally smoke the vapor resin, so if you want to do that, I would recommend scraping before you soak it in alcohol.

Pro tip from a long time mighty user friend of mine:
Take off gunked up cooling element
Turn upside down
Open mouthpiece
Take a bic lighter and hover high over the hole whike assembled and inhale the heat not the flame! Make sure just to hold it high enough to vape the reclaim but not suck in flames
This cleans off all gunk without mess and fuss and gets you high as fuck
Voila clean and ready to continue with a clean cool element.
Pro tip 2
Plan for a long nap after!

Mine is too new to try this but would be curious to know if it works for you

Last edited:

cgod

Any way to preserve flavor longer? I grind using the Crafty grinder, but notice after my first two or three hits the flavor degrades and goes quite dull

cgod,
Reactions: Jill NYC
Top Bottom