Crafty/Crafty+ by Storz & Bickel

biohacker

Thanks @VapeCrafty I should have known better, that the s&b herb mill is designed to grind on the fine side! This could explain my lack of clouds and thick dense vapour. I think I tried fine back in my higher temp days (straight to 210) but the taste greatly suffered even on that first hit. And then I have issues with irritation and coughing. I'd love to try out the capsules again with fine grind at a more reasonable human temp.

The Crafty is the best vape for hiking IMO! Wide open airflow, great bowl size to get you where you wanna be. The only issue I find is that I also feel sort of rushed due to the conduction aspect of the heating tech. I wish they dialed down the conduction on it, or at least made the conduction ring removable for those of us that prefer more convection. I guess it would be a completely different device then though.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I am not a fan of very fine grind in Crafty/Mighty, without parsing the details too much. Medium always does it for me, assuming there's vg material, properly conditioned, dried, etc.
Also, finely ground material tends to escape from the capsule holes, before use, after use; and when it happens during use it will trap in cu screen or inside cu itself.

I've found the S&B grinder to be variable compared to grinders with holes that material falls thru, which tend to yield consistent results (of course there are ways to 'over ride' this, like grinding upside down, etc.) . The S&B results are a factor of how many turns you give it. So, if you you just turn once and done, you get a medium material. If you keep grinding away, because it has no escape, the result will be a fine grind.

lumholtz

My first unit died at 93 hours, was replaced under warranty, took delivery of new unit (2.52) and at 42 hours it is failing the same way as the last unit: 'temperature too low' warning, even at 25 degrees C ambient temp.
Pretty frustrated tbh, thought this unit might last a little longer under revised firmware and better battery life.
I never have the unit plugged in during use or while the unit is still hot, and it doesn't leave my house.
Think I might try for an upgrade to a Mighty this time, as I have lost faith in the Crafty, and sending them back every few months is not acceptable for a premium product at a premium price.

lumholtz,

lumholtz

Yesterday I couldn't get the unit to turn on at all, nor take charge. Then I gave the unit a shake to see if anything was loose inside, and to my surprise the unit started working again. A loose temperature sensor perhaps? Now I'm wondering if this is all that was wrong with the last unit. Anyway, can only see how long it keeps working for, and if/when it funks out next time I will def be trying for an upgrade to a mighty

biohacker

I'm so damn curious about this new 20% stronger battery @psychonaut that i'm thinking I may need to test another Crafty out. Wonder what heat ups would be like on the 2nd and 3rd sessions? The slow heat up was something that bothered me due to the "extra" conduction with the herb stewing longer. But that small size sure was convenient at times!

SirCrackKillaH

What's good! crafty and mighty cool beans yo, those dosing capsules though, them are righteous. Any of you guys ever clean these things? I've been using the same like 8 or 9 for months now and they haven't gotten sticky or anything. These things are like icky-sticky free. Curious..

SirCrackKillaH,

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
Question:
I use my Crafty mostly at home, exclusively with flowers. Lately, (per many FCrs suggestions, thanks!) I put the concentration pad on top of the flowers which has brought the potency level up 10 fold. It has made me very happy!
My question is, do I need to invest in the dosing capsules? Does it bring on different effects that I don’t already get standard or with the concentration pad?
I get the convenience factor of them, but for me, unless it changes taste and/or potency, buying a pack of 40 of these things will probably just end up in my already cluttered vape-junk drawer.

Jill NYC,

SirCrackKillaH

Question:
I use my Crafty mostly at home, exclusively with flowers. Lately, (per many FCrs suggestions, thanks!) I put the concentration pad on top of the flowers which has brought the potency level up 10 fold. It has made me very happy!
My question is, do I need to invest in the dosing capsules? Does it bring on different effects that I don’t already get standard or with the concentration pad?
I get the convenience factor of them, but for me, unless it changes taste and/or potency, buying a pack of 40 of these things will probably just end up in my already cluttered vape-junk drawer.
Biggest thing with those dosing capsules is convienence really. They enable you to prefill like 40 capsules in one shot if you so desire. It's a little time consuming but man oh man, having, that many ready is awesome, having a little carrying cylinder on deck is damned convienent too yo. No fumbling with the filling tool or trying to place concentrates or flower while out and about.

That s is like baratatatatata, reload, ba bam, dosing capsule with the quickness. Yeah, I love them.

On the flower end, it really enables you to dial in exactly how much bud you wanna use per session. I'll scale out .05-.07s for quick sessions and then max them out for full. It makes cleaning occur less too I've found. There is no difference really as far as potency goes. Just makes loading and unloading easier and faster.
The one thing I do have to point out is that if you exclusively use them, there is potential build up that occurs along the upper air intake of the bowl portion. This over time limits the airflow a bit to the point where more of a temperature drop occurs when taking pulls.
The older one I had would drop by 25-30 degrees sometimes when taking a pull. I sent it in for servicing about three weeks ago.
Just be mindful of any accumulation under that lip. I use a small brush to get under the mighty lip. The Crafty I kinda let go over time and didn't realize this being the cause till it was too late. The center bowl portion and even the bottom for the most part remained pristine, but that intake right up there, that darkens with accumulation over time. I missed that.

Last edited:

Used2use

Sometimes to stupid to become a fool
buying a pack of 40 of these things will probably just end up in my already cluttered vape-junk drawer
U can only get 4 caps with the capsule caddy or 8 caps with the magazine, no need to get 40 they last a long time - i would go for the concentrate version with liquid pads to have half pack spacers. Can't tell much difference between cap and no cap besides a tiny bit more resistance.

SirCrackKillaH

U can only get 4 caps with the capsule caddy or 8 caps with the magazine, no need to get 40 they last a long time - i would go for the concentrate version with liquid pads to have half pack spacers. Can't tell much difference between cap and no cap besides a tiny bit more resistance.
I'd love to know what these things are made of. If it's a non-stick steel or what. I really have never cleaned mine in months. They simply don't get that stickyness the same way other stuff does.

SirCrackKillaH,

Mr. Me2

Question:
Have you ever tried using a screen instead of the pad?

I found that I preferred the screen. Just cut out a wedge so the screen looks like pac man. Pull the 2 edges together to make a cone, and push the point into your material.

I find it works great, has better air flow and is much easier to keep clean than the pad.

SirCrackKillaH

Have you ever tried using a screen instead of the pad?

I found that I preferred the screen. Just cut out a wedge so the screen looks like pac man. Pull the 2 edges together to make a cone, and push the point into your material.

I find it works great, has better air flow and is much easier to keep clean than the pad.

I never thought about that. That'd save me actually a good chunk of change over using the pads. That's really cool man.

SirCrackKillaH,
Reactions: Mr. Me2

Used2use

Sometimes to stupid to become a fool
i would also say some kind of aluminium alloy
Yes, the capsules eat up some space/suface - the normal bowl liquid pad is 15mm diameter, the capsule pad 13mm. That decreases capacity and has 24% less surface (not accounting the larger diameter at the capsule top here, but they thought something by leaving a bit of airspace between chamber walls and bottom capsule walls...) which explains the bit less dense clouds, but imo still hard to distinguish with the same amount of load in a blind test session...

Used2use,
Reactions: Jill NYC

lumholtz

I'd love to know what these things are made of. If it's a non-stick steel or what. I really have never cleaned mine in months. They simply don't get that stickyness the same way other stuff does.

Really? I have to clean mine regularly, guess it depends on the quality of the material you vape

lumholtz,
Reactions: JCat

JCat

Accessory Maker
Really? I have to clean mine regularly, guess it depends on the quality of the material you vape
Same here ... they quickly get sticky (golden resin) especially on the tops ... they start sticking everywhere! ... soak in 99% ISO for a short time, rinse, good to go!

JCat,
Reactions: lumholtz

Modicum

Hi Mr.Me2 I'm thinking of getting a Mighty,I have a 12mo. Crafty with 5 hrs on it and want to gift it a friend. What happens to the warranty and the phone app, don't know the protocol . Can you or anyone else advise me? Thank you ahead of time.

Modicum,

Mr. Me2

I looked at the Crafty instructions and found this:

If another CRAFTY Vaporizer is to be controlled by the same smartphone, the previous connection is to be dis- connected by use of the “Connect to other CRAFTY“ button and the serial number of the other CRAFTY Vapor- izer entered.

Not exactly on point, but leads me to believe you can connect to a different phone after it downloads the app.

If you haven't made a RMA, and if your Crafty serial number is readable, I expect your friend won't have a problem. Can't promise, though...

Mr. Me2,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
@Modicum ,
S&B doesn't care about chain of ownership, only age of the device, so it should be fine - warranty wise- to give it away, especally if you still have an invoice or other proof of purchase to provide if it does need a warranty related service.

And @Mr. Me2 is correct, installing app on anotherr phone and then connecting to Crafty is not a problem. Use the serial number that's on bottom of Crafty or on the box.

vapviking,
Top Bottom