Gear Concentrate accessory questions (Ti, SS, Nails, Dabbers)

timmahsan

treEnt
I plan on dabbing either in the garage or my back patio. Since wind is a potential element, does domeless still work OK? The Dualti domeless from HE looks nice!

timmahsan,

Bouldorado

+1 on the b b & b torch. The igniter broke on my first one, so I took it back to the store (no proof of purchase at all) and they sent me a brand new one.

Bouldorado,

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
Allison at SSFG has been trying to talk me out of using the Ti nail (she's all into the Earthy stuff and thinks the heating metal is bad for us).

She said, they get a lot of compliments on The Snork.

IMAG0124_zps98a1c13e.jpg

Though, she's not sure when Ray's going to make them again.

BigDaddyVapor,

Doug

Just passing time
What's a good ti nail (HE, etc) for the infamous bubbler?

Well, I just ordered the Ti set from Oregonglassblower, and it sure is working out great for me. I asked him to make the adapter a short version since I was only working with 4 inches from the top of the joint to the top line of the mouth piece. He obliged and the whole thing works out perfectly I have to say.
0y82fWm.jpg

timmahsan

treEnt
Well, I just ordered the Ti set from Oregonglassblower, and it sure is working out great for me. I asked him to make the adapter a short version since I was only working with 4 inches from the top of the joint to the top line of the mouth piece. He obliged and the whole thing works out perfectly I have to say.
0y82fWm.jpg
Nice Doug. I made the same purchase, but didn't request the short male-to-male adapter. I am hoping it will work out and I don't burn my face or something crazy lol.

I haven't picked up any concentrates yet (going tomorrow) -- did you have a weird blue hue show up after you applied heat with the torch? Freakin' me out. I'll ditch the nail after I figure out if I like concentrates and get an HE nail, just to be safe.

timmahsan,

Doug

Just passing time
I do have that same blueness a bit, but it has gone away for the most part. Definitely have no idea what it is/was.

Doug,

SD_haze

I do have that same blueness a bit, but it has gone away for the most part. Definitely have no idea what it is/was.
Nice Doug. I made the same purchase, but didn't request the short male-to-male adapter. I am hoping it will work out and I don't burn my face or something crazy lol.

I haven't picked up any concentrates yet (going tomorrow) -- did you have a weird blue hue show up after you applied heat with the torch? Freakin' me out. I'll ditch the nail after I figure out if I like concentrates and get an HE nail, just to be safe.

From Highly Educated:

Titanium oxide is not an off gas nor a vapor. It is that white, chalky substance on the inside of your nail or on the outside of your pad. It is created when oxygen reacts with the titanium creating a thin oxide layer on the outside of the metal. The hotter you get your titanium the more readily it reacts with the oxygen in the air and subsequently the faster it oxidizes. When you see your titanium changing blue, purple, and gold in the open flame, this is also a result of the oxidation process.

A thick oxidation layer on your nail or pad can effect its efficiency. Over time a nail head can become so oxidized that it has lost much of its original heat retention capabilities.

Preventing oxidation or slowing the process can be achieved by applying heat uniformly and not taking the titanium to a glowing red. The moment you notice the titanium start to radiate even slightly it should be plenty hot.
On a final note, “Water Seasoning” is the idea that you can season your titanium by heating it up and placing it under water. It is of my opinion that this doesn’t do anything to season the titanium but we do know it jump starts the oxidation process.

EDIT:
This basic chemistry video explains the process at the molecular level. Notice how it changes from silver to green :D

dannkk

I plan on dabbing either in the garage or my back patio. Since wind is a potential element, does domeless still work OK? The Dualti domeless from HE looks nice!

I think it'd work fine. Probably not as good as a dome, though. I have the infiniti, and have learned that the people you see losing vapor in vids are making mistakes. They're heating the nail to hot so the hit vapes instantly and they lose half the vapor. It's not like a skillet or small nail where you kind of have to overheat it so that the initial shock of the oil hitting it doesn't cool it to the point where it won't vape. Pretty sure this is why people are hitting them to hot.

dannkk,

timmahsan

treEnt
Nice, OK. Yeah, that was my understanding too. As soon as you see red turn off the torch. Dab.

timmahsan,

TommydCat

With a creme brulee torch (looks just like the Vector, but the iginitor broke - is this a common issue on the Vectors, too?), it takes between 15-20 seconds tops to be cherry red, reheats around 10 seconds. A smaller torch I have (but more efficient) takes ~25 seconds but I don't have to worry about setting the cat on fire either! ;)

TommydCat,

TommydCat

Here's my routine -
1. Grab beer. Sit to side.
2. Start torch - it sits on level with my (Cosmic) Ti nail, so hit the on lock and hands-free
3. Set up dabber with a dab.. I have a hockey puck with a groove in it so it has a stable place to stay that I can move around - I sit it here so it's ready to go
4. At this time the nail is starting to glow.. Made sure it looks fairly evenly heated, turn off torch, put in safe place, grab dome, sit dome on gong joint (this takes like 2-3 seconds, but no rush)
5. Pick up dabber and.. dab

For me, anyway, this is a flow with little wasted time/effort, and I get a dab down 4-5 seconds after the nail is no longer glowing red (usually stops glowing a second or two after the dome is on).

I'll give you a clue: If it costs under $20 usd..... well, you can fill in the rest. Until then, please pass the sweet and sour shrimp. Every nail on that page is Chinese nail.
Oh believe me, I know nearly everything on that site is made in China, I was just pointing it out because people are using them. I am ignorant of the exact risks posed, but did up getting a HI nail myself.
ogb-14mm-oil-dome-set-angled-ti-nail-made-in-oregon-47-fc87.jpg

SD_haze

Never heat past dull red.

I'll give you a clue: If it costs under $20 usd..... well, you can fill in the rest. Until then, please pass the sweet and sour shrimp. Every nail on that page is Chinese nail.
The fact that gorillaglass.com is selling i-tal hempwick only further supports what I've heard about it being an import hemp wick. Unlike the Beeline brand.

SD_haze,
Top Bottom