Gear Concentrate accessory questions (Ti, SS, Nails, Dabbers)

dannkk

How much you wait after red?

Answering that question won't really help you. To many factors go into how long you want to wait. How big is the nail? How big is the dab? How hot did you heat it in the first place?

What you need to do is just experiment when you get a new piece. Heat it, and wait a bit, then dab. Did the dab burn? Wait longer. Did the nail just cool off and let the dab slowly vape? You waited to long. Want the sweet spot, where it's just hot enough to fully vape the dab.

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
Oh believe me, I know nearly everything on that site is made in China, I was just pointing it out because people are using them. I am ignorant of the exact risks posed, but did up getting a HI nail myself.
ogb-14mm-oil-dome-set-angled-ti-nail-made-in-oregon-47-fc87.jpg

That's not the nail I got from him.

How long ago, did you order? Though, I know he doesn't make his nails. Mike's purely a glass guy.

BigDaddyVapor,

b0

Cloudy...
Yeah, mine is different too. I think we have the same nail BDV, because when I ordered I told him I wanted a set like yours.

I got my ogb nail sometime just before christmas, used it less than 10 times. Maybe his new nails are better, but that pic is what he's still got up on ioffer.

mrboote,

Squeeky

Any update on OGB's nails? I'm considering getting a setup from hiim as I'd only be using concentrates once in awhile.

Squeeky,

timmahsan

treEnt
I would stick with a more well known brand for the ti nail. His glass is great though, maybe try a glass nail. :)

timmahsan,

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
Well I did a magnet test all over Mike's. Nothing magnetic. It is marked like the other legit nails I've seen, with the USA and GR2. According to both guys at my LHS, its at least a $40 nail, though the dabber guy, said quite a bit more than that. Personally, I don't know. It works well for me. I've got a Dremel polishing/buffing kit that should be here tomorrow... so it will get its first real cleaning.

BigDaddyVapor,

DubCRider

All the nails I have seen marked "GR2 Made in USA" are anything but that. I can spray perfume on a turd and give it to a blind person, but it's still a turd.

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
:shrug:

As I said. New to this, so I don't know. Both the experienced dabbers I showed the nail to, were both impressed. Its worked well for me. Today, I received a Dremel polish kit and used it cleaning up the nail bed/cup and around the edges. Cleaned up nice, for a turd.

BigDaddyVapor,

DubCRider

Using a dremel will actually score the metal(scratch it away). I suggest using an SOS pad so you don't damage the integrity of the nail.

DubCRider,
Reactions: fake name
:shrug:

As I said. New to this, so I don't know. Both the experienced dabbers I showed the nail to, were both impressed. Its worked well for me. Today, I received a Dremel polish kit and used it cleaning up the nail bed/cup and around the edges. Cleaned up nice, for a turd.
The difference between grade 5 ti and grade 2 is supposedly safety, not functionality. People selling authentic grade 2 are invariably quite vocal about it, those selling grade 5 usually have no info about their product (other than it has a stamp on it).

mrboote,

matthend

I have been using my OGB nail for a couple of weeks without issue, but you now have me nervous...

matthend,

DubCRider

A few weeks is too long, stop while you're ahead!

Are you buying these from a friend or a businessman? A friend will inform you of what's good for you, a businessman will inform you on the most profitable item for him. My guess is that the people selling these dont have a lot of friends but plenty of money.

StickyShisha2

my friend's ti nail had a little eruption on the outside of the cup. He was overheating it and it seemed to pop at the torch. after it cooled, it looks a little wavy next to a small pocket with razor sharp edge.

my guess is a tiny bit of not ti in it. I then pointed out to him that the threaded rod of his nail was magnetic.

StickyShisha2,

Puffers

Micro-Climate Mastermind
Stay away from mapp gas. It leaves behind a flavor. I suggest a vector torch. They are great! Ive,got a lil bernzomatic, but the tank is small and its got a pretty small flame too. Id shoot for a butane torch, but I know guys who use big propane jobs for large ti.

I been meaning to ask about this i use a mapp torch nightly, i have a butane torch but dont use it often. I havent noticed a taste difference but it may be just me. I was wondering if people aren't letting full combustion take place with the torch. I notice i have to turn my torch way up (particularly as :t gets more empty) to get the both gasses to light and all the fuel to fully combust then i turn it way down to heat my nail. Usually If you just light it has a flame similar to propane torch but you can smell the uncombusted fuel, wondering if this is the taste some people are getting?

Puffers,

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
Using a dremel will actually score the metal(scratch it away). I suggest using an SOS pad so you don't damage the integrity of the nail.

As I only used a small nylon brush and the buffing pads, I doubt I did more damage than SOS pads, which also, wouldn't come close to reaching down inside the cup edge.

BigDaddyVapor,

DubCRider

This is what I'm trying to help avoid....

AD3A622C-D5E5-44BF-82B8-2E42C2E0DA94-2551-000002D1BF0680F2-2.jpg

That nail used to be the same shape as yours when it was new. It wasn't magnetic either but clearly is not grade 2 Ti. Between torching it red hot every use and scraping it clean with a dental pick every so often this is what my old roommates nail looked like. It tasted like death, every dab.

Do you have a pic of what it looked like before being cleaned? How much Ti oxide was built up on your nail?

Puffers

Micro-Climate Mastermind

AD3A622C-D5E5-44BF-82B8-2E42C2E0DA94-2551-000002D1BF0680F2-2.jpg

That nail used to be the same shape as yours when it was new. It wasn't magnetic either but clearly is not grade 2 Ti. Between torching it red hot every use and scraping it clean with a dental pick every so often this is what my old roommates nail looked like. It tasted like death, every dab.

Do you have a pic of what it looked like before being cleaned? How much Ti oxide was built up on your nail?

:o
WTF happened there!!!!
:puke:

Puffers,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Lol.. So what's worse ? Chinese sweatshop nail :glass vs ti :) ?

Abysmal Vapor,

weedsmkn

smmmmerk
anyone have info on the nail they sell on the delta9 site? i bought one a while back, and its beed good to me, just wondering if its safe to use.

weedsmkn,

[pic]

I have no way of knowing what the nail in the picture is made out of, but I do know this: Grade 5 titanium is stronger and more resistant to oxidization than grade 2. So if you have a nail that is actually made from cheaper grade 5, that sort of carnage is unlikely. From my extremely limited understanding of the topic, the real bad news about grade 5 is that it is an alloy that contains aluminum. I honestly don't know the exact health risk this may pose.

Note, I know the one I have from ogb is a re-engineered bone screw, I don't know what he sells these days, they may be perfectly "legit". Unless yours looks exactly like mine, I'm not claiming to know anything about it. :)

mrboote,

Bob Loblaw

Astralnaut
I have no way of knowing what the nail in the picture is made out of, but I do know this: Grade 5 titanium is stronger and more resistant to oxidization than grade 2. So if you have a nail that is actually made from cheaper grade 5, that sort of carnage is unlikely. From my extremely limited understanding of the topic, the real bad news about grade 5 is that it is an alloy that contains aluminum. I honestly don't know the exact health risk this may pose.

Note, I know the one I have from ogb is a re-engineered bone screw, I don't know what he sells these days, they may be perfectly "legit". Unless yours looks exactly like mine, I'm not claiming to know anything about it. :)
smoking aluminum can increase chance of alzheimer's, iirc. glad i stopped smoking outta soda cans when i was in my teens (glass pipes didn't exist then and no one had a hundred bucks for a bong)

Top Bottom