• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Gear Concentrate accessory questions (Ti, SS, Nails, Dabbers)

Atomsk

Floating In My Tin Can
Actually @Atomsk I've used the very same set of dental picks, and the white tip nearest the metal has melted away slightly! I would get some different ones, prefer an all stainless steel design since that happened. They sell an entire set of all stainless steel dental picks at Harbor Freight for 3 bucks. Good luck!

Thanks, Shoff! I really appreciate it, I was about to buy 'em this morning. There are three H&F stores in my area by the looks of it, so that's freaking perfect. If you'll forgive the outdated saying, you the man!

or look for wax or pottery carving sets on amazon
That'll be plan B, Bob! And only 'cause I'm trying to find them locally. I've been a little ansy waiting for my second third Persei in the mail, I'd much rather have some good ol' American instant gratification on this. Thanks bud!

farscaper

Made by 4.0 the Breezeway can be found: http://www.highpriorityglass.com/categories/brands-a-f/4-0.html

looks like they have sold quite a few... seems like a vast improvement to the curve! :clap: only bummer is that it will only work with "select" nails. that is why i shied away from them... i enjoy universal type fittings and tools... i would also enjoy a quartz version of this.

I don't know a local source but those dental picks should be good- dabbers don't heat up that much. You might have a bigger issue if that metal is low quality though. Stainless steel or titanium is ideal.

On another topic, I got a tube today and it came with an oil attachment I've never seen before. Apparently it's called a breezeway, and it works surprisingly well.

IMG_20130214_174853.jpg

farscaper

So... Firsties... Baked as fuck. Next, ill snap som pics tomorrow prolly... Compaired to a dime... Cause I was really suprised by how diffrent all these quartz pieces are... Lastly... Do I have to pull my combustion free status cause the last 3 dabs totally combusted... On that note, I think people shy away from "new" quartz because it is hard to "read" like ti turns red... Period. Nut new fresh quartz literally doesnt have a noticable color change... Not until little spots and pits and tiny fishers become visible... They show the red tell tale color that say "you got me hot dummy".. But imo getting it hot isnt so much the key so much as being able to tell it has cooled enough to reach vape temp.... So ive been combusting this week old wax... New buzz though... Trippy actually... Oh and ALT sent me the wrong dome... I wanted the 15$ mini 14mm they sent the 20$ reg 14mm which looks like a fishbowl... With a nail swimmn round... N round... N round.. N °... Yea, but I dig it :D

Divited vs cup to come as well.

SD_haze

So... Firsties... Baked as fuck. Next, ill snap som pics tomorrow prolly... Compaired to a dime... Cause I was really suprised by how diffrent all these quartz pieces are... Lastly... Do I have to pull my combustion free status cause the last 3 dabs totally combusted... On that note, I think people shy away from "new" quartz because it is hard to "read" like ti turns red... Period. Nut new fresh quartz literally doesnt have a noticable color change... Not until little spots and pits and tiny fishers become visible... They show the red tell tale color that say "you got me hot dummy".. But imo getting it hot isnt so much the key so much as being able to tell it has cooled enough to reach vape temp.... So ive been combusting this week old wax... New buzz though... Trippy actually... Oh and ALT sent me the wrong dome... I wanted the 15$ mini 14mm they sent the 20$ reg 14mm which looks like a fishbowl... With a nail swimmn round... N round... N round.. N °... Yea, but I dig it :D

Divited vs cup to come as well.
Did you try heating the quartz in the dark/low light? Might be able to see a color change there.

z9

I couldn't see the color change in my quartz nail either until I used it a few times.

Can't wait for the comparisons!

z9,

Bouldorado

Made by 4.0 the Breezeway can be found: http://www.highpriorityglass.com/categories/brands-a-f/4-0.html

looks like they have sold quite a few... seems like a vast improvement to the curve! :clap: only bummer is that it will only work with "select" nails. that is why i shied away from them... i enjoy universal type fittings and tools... i would also enjoy a quartz version of this.

very true. I was hoping to add a quartz nail, since my friend has an extra, but it was too long to fit. Although I imagine it's not hard to find a new one that does.

Compared to a curve, I think you lose a bit more vapor.

Bouldorado,

farscaper

I guess I just would have gons with a sleeve instead of a cup to put nails on... How long can,it,be? The short cup I just got is pretty short.

very true. I was hoping to add a quartz nail, since my friend has an extra, but it was too long to fit. Although I imagine it's not hard to find a new one that does.

Compared to a curve, I think you lose a bit more vapor.

Edit: the short cup is 14mm and the shaft from the base of where it sits in the joint to the tip or bottom of the shaft is 1 1/16" btw

farscaper,

Bouldorado

That nail would probably fit, but I can't say for sure. On the breezeway, the part the nail sits in is just over an inch deep. Max nail height if it touches the bottom is 2", maybe a little over. As or width, my nail is just under a 1/4" in dia. and it has a little bit of play.

Bouldorado,

z9

The breezeway looks great. I just don't have that much money to drop on something that functions just like my dome and nail set up. If it was just a sleeve those runaway dabs might drip everywhere.

Farscaper how are all those quartz nails treating you?

I was looking at a piece at a local head shop that was pretty interesting but I don't know the name and I didn't like way the nail was held. It was a 3 inch tall dome that held the nail outside of the dome on a sleeve. The opening on the dome was on the side the nail was held. It looked very inefficient but with some modifications such as nail placement it could have some potential to be a good addition to any lineup.

z9,
Reactions: Shoff

Shoff

@z9 That would either be a Boro Farm periscope or a Hitman Outie Bellie Button. Also, to counter your claim, I've never hit one that was inefficient, not that I'd want to hit this thing in front of a fan or anything like that.. They tend to have much better air flow than nails - with exceptions of course, the DYD among them. This could be what you refer to as "inefficient," because until you get the timing of the dab down it is necessary to pace your breath.

Totally with you on the price though, not looking to spend that (>$100) on something virtually equivalent to a traditional dome set up! You really are paying for the gimmick in my opinion

Shoff,

Bouldorado

I agree that if you only consider function, the breezeway is kind of pricey. I would never buy one individually (luckily this one was included with the tube), but I think the artistic aspect/originality can justify the price to some degree. For example, a quartz honey hole/noodle retails about the same, but is much uglier IMO.

I'll probably order that borosyndicate nail if I can't something at my LHS.

Bouldorado,

farscaper

A quick rundown... 18mm divited nail: thos thing has a massive shaft. Twice the size of all the others... So far its got the largest surfacevarea of them all. Great for bhombs! The 14mm divited nail heats the fastest... But tbh ive had the greatest issues with combustion on the divited nails... Maybe it just a lack of familiarity to how they cool... Put my old quartz cup back in easy to read and works perfect..... Aint nothin like a nice broke in quartz nail.

Out of the new ones ive used the 14mm divited the most, and I have been noticing more and more as I get it broke in that with smaller dabs it seems superior, but I am an animal of many appities... So ive obveiously been playing with all of them.

More to come

z9

Yeah I thought you were the one that bought all the quartz nails farscaper. I'm about to pick up a 14mm diveted quartz nail because after using the cupped nail for about a week I'm starting to prefer the shape of my diveted boro nail. Im having trouble vaporizing and not combusting on my quartz nail. From my experience, red quartz means that its wayyyy too hot even if I wait 10 or more seconds to dab. I've even combusted without my nail turning bright red then I dabbed. When I actually vaporize my dabs the quartz is great. With quartz I'm vaporizing about 75% of the time, the other 25% of the times I use it I combust. As earlier mentioned, maybe that's why people usually ditch the quartz so fast.

I don't know what all this nonesense about quartz starting to taste bad after the first 10 dabs or so that I've read. I guess people just don't know how to heat it consistently. I sure as hell don't.

Ive been switching between boro and quartz regularly so maybe I just haven't used it enough yet to really get a feel for it.

z9,

farscaper

I havnt made a video before, but I feel like tryn cause I can show alot better then I can tell. Maybe a quartz enthusiast thread too while we're at it :D

Edit: however I will explain this thought... With a divitedd head nail u are using the "dish" as your primary heat source... Since the dab flows into the dent. with a cup head you actally use the walls to heat and the center is less importaint...
when using a cup head wait for the walls to lose color before appling the dab... When its a divited nail i have been waiting until the very center "pupil" of the dish loses color. I think that is why I had (enphisis on had) been combusting dabs... With said technique... We're back to fuckn' baby!

SD_haze

z9

Yeah I'd like to get it without the nail too for a lower price. I've never used ioffer before so I'm a little hesitant to try it. But I want it for some reason. Isn't it more of a curve?. I'll skip on that nail though...

z9,

SD_haze

Yeah I'd like to get it without the nail too for a lower price. I've never used ioffer before so I'm a little hesitant to try it. But I want it for some reason. Isn't it more of a curve?. I'll skip on that nail though...
Yeah it's like a curvey dome.

Interesting, but this seems like a much better buy: http://www.ioffer.com/i/14-19mm-oil-dome-set-with-quartz-nail-523402059

dome set w/ quartz nail for $20
I agree function-wise the basic dome just works perfect.

What's cool is if you search his store (which is too massive to browse normally, 172 items) for "oil dome" you get dozens of different sized dome setups, different shapes/fittings, and then some nicely worked dome setups for $50 or less.

http://www.ioffer.com/selling/greenbuddah?query=oil dome

SD_haze,
Not sure if this belongs here or in another thread, but...

What torch do you guys recommend for use with a ti nail?

I have a nail and glass dome on their way and this will be my first oil rig. :science:

UpUpandAway,

farscaper

Stay away from mapp gas. It leaves behind a flavor. I suggest a vector torch. They are great! Ive,got a lil bernzomatic, but the tank is small and its got a pretty small flame too. Id shoot for a butane torch, but I know guys who use big propane jobs for large ti.

Bob Loblaw

Astralnaut
creme brulee torches are very useful in this application

you can find them anywhere from 25 to 60 bones. check amazon, or ur local culinary store.
be aware, no matter the cost/manufacturer/style, you most likely will burn out the electric ignition switch (has happened on 2 of my 3) and will need to start it with a bic. can't be beat for fast heat up and size balance, imo. however dremel makes a small torch that just makes the cut and like farscaper says, you can go up to propane to get her done quick

Top Bottom