Combust/Concentrate/Vapor in one piece?

OnlyHuman

Hello all, just about to make my first bong purchase...ever, once the ALT's sale goes live!

Just curious, what if I plan on combusting (very occasionally), burning oil, and vaping in the same piece? Does combusting in the glass pretty much ruin it and very hard to clean? What about if I got an ashcatcher?

What about concentrates? I seen a few people using theirs and it looks pretty nasty with oil all over the place, is that easily cleaned?

Should I really own three different pieces for these three different smoking methods?

Thanks for any help everyone!

OnlyHuman,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
if you're anal about cleaning your pieces, they will be fine. check out the pbw thread here for some good cleaning tips. I smoked out of my matrix, gave it a quick, immediate clean and had no problem with it for vapor taste.

stickstones,
Reactions: OnlyHuman

OnlyHuman

Yes, I will be anal. If I smoke out of it, I should clean it IMMEDIATELY? Going to check the PBW thread now, thanks!

OnlyHuman,

AdmiralAlpacha

As long as you keep up on the cleaning you will have no problem. For instance if you've been combusting with friends all day, just be sure to wash it at the end of the day.

My friend uses his glass for the entire trio and it doesn't bother him at all. Personally I wouldn't dare combust in my vape piece though :p

AdmiralAlpacha,
Reactions: treeman

OnlyHuman

As long as you keep up on the cleaning you will have no problem. For instance if you've been combusting with friends all day, just be sure to wash it at the end of the day.

My friend uses his glass for the entire trio and it doesn't bother him at all. Personally I wouldn't dare combust in my vape piece though :p

huh, the main reason why I asked is because a few people in the classified section state on their glass pieces, 'have combusted a few times in this'. Why would that matter in ANY WAY if it is completely able to be cleaned off?

OnlyHuman,

z9

huh, the main reason why I asked is because a few people in the classified section state on their glass pieces, 'have combusted a few times in this'. Why would that matter in ANY WAY if it is completely able to be cleaned off?

Poeple state that because repeated combustion without proper cleaning can cause staining on logos and the glass; it can also cause the glass to get a yellowish tint. I smoked out of my GDB frit once just to try it, immediately cleaned it with iso and salt, only a slight smell remained. I vaped right afterwards and there was no taste of combustion and the smell was gone after the first hit of vapor.

I find it impossible to use an uncleaned combustion piece for anything but combustion. Vaping and dabbing in the same piece doesn't bother me unless I'm hitting high temps, but others avoid this. I know poeple who do all of the above through the same piece and don't have a problem with it.
It just comes down to preference, I don't combust anymore but I do try to keep my high temp vapor piece (GBD frit) separate from my dabbing/low-temp vapor piece (Colie Recycler)

Speaking of GBD and Colie Glass have you looked at options beside ALT? You can get quality pieces elsewhere for much less, often directly from the manufacturer.

Last edited:

mlo4sho

Some people want to give full disclosure when listing items and also some people (myself included) will not buy a glass piece that has been combusted in, since all they're going to be using it for is vapor. Whether or not you can "completely" clean it to where there is no effect on taste.... I'm not sure about that. I just know that since I vaporize 100% of the time I do not want any piece I vaporize with to be used for combustion. I wouldn't mix the two. :2c:

OnlyHuman

Poeple state that because repeated combustion without proper cleaning can cause staining on logos and the glass; it can also cause the glass to get a yellowish tint. I smoked out of my GDB frit once just to try it, immediately cleaned it with iso and salt, only a slight smell remained. I vaped right afterwards and there was no taste of combustion and the smell was gone after the first hit of vapor.

I find it impossible to use an uncleaned combustion piece for anything but combustion. Vaping and dabbing in the same piece doesn't bother me unless I'm hitting high temps, but others avoid this. I know poeple who do all of the above through the same piece and don't have a problem with it.
It just comes down to preference, I don't combust anymore but I do try to keep my high temp vapor piece (GBD frit) separate from my dabbing/low-temp vapor piece (Colie Recycler)

Speaking of GBD and Colie Glass have you looked at options beside ALT? You can get quality pieces elsewhere for much less, often from the manufacturer.

I did look around, but I have to say, I am completely infatuated with the stereo matrix Mobius. That is what I have my heart set on right now, but that certainly could change. I did not look at GBD, and I am pretty sure I looked at Colie Glass and didn't see anything that caught my eye. I really do not want a straight tube traditional 'bong'. I know I want a stemless piece as well.

I mean, now I am thinking about buying two pieces though (one for combust and one for vape/oils), which would make the Mobius completely out of my price range. Decisions Decisions...are killing me.

Here is the one I am infatuated with, just wish it had a percolator as well.
http://aqualabtechnologies.com/scie...0-mm-stemless-bubbler-with-stereo-matrix.html

OnlyHuman,

OnlyHuman

Some people want to give full disclosure when listing items and also some people (myself included) will not buy a glass piece that has been combusted in, since all they're going to be using it for is vapor. Whether or not you can "completely" clean it to where there is no effect on taste.... I'm not sure about that. I just know that since I vaporize 100% of the time I do not want any piece I vaporize with to be used for combustion. I wouldn't mix the two. :2c:

That was what I originally asking, I thought the glass COULD be completely cleaned? I suppose not than?

The truth is I won't be combusting often, but when friends come over (or my sister), they want the option and I would like to give it to them if that is what they want.

OnlyHuman,

mlo4sho

That was what I originally asking, I thought the glass COULD be completely cleaned? I suppose not than?

The truth is I won't be combusting often, but when friends come over (or my sister), they want the option and I would like to give it to them if that is what they want.
I don't know that it can or can't be. My glass pieces are all vapor only and have never been combusted with. When I smoked I didn't use glass.

If it's only a rare thing it shouldn't be a big issue if you cleaned it thoroughly soon afterwards. You probably wouldn't notice much of a difference.

I guess I was just saying, personally, I would not want to vape and smoke in the same piece especially if it's a beautiful piece like a Mobius (even if it was only once in a while). But buying two pieces at once just to avoid occasional combustion isn't really a better option.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean but the Stereo Matrix is the percolator (perc)

OnlyHuman

I don't know that it can or can't be. My glass pieces are all vapor only and have never been combusted with. When I smoked I didn't use glass.

If it's only a rare thing it shouldn't be a big issue if you cleaned it thoroughly soon afterwards. You probably wouldn't notice much of a difference.

I guess I was just saying, personally, I would not want to vape and smoke in the same piece especially if it's a beautiful piece like a Mobius (even if it was only once in a while). But buying two pieces at once just to avoid occasional combustion isn't really a better option.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean but the Stereo Matrix is the percolator (perc)

Well, I guess I should have known that was the perc, however I was looking for an additional one near closer to the mouth piece. Quite a few of the Mobius's have the two percs.

OnlyHuman,

mlo4sho

Well, I guess I should have known that was the perc, however I was looking for an additional one near closer to the mouth piece. Quite a few of the Mobius's have the two percs.
Ah, I see what you mean now. You either want the straight tube design with a downstem and perc higher up in the tube or you want a stemless piece. You'll notice from ALT's selection of Mobius that you won't find both on a single piece. I'm curious as to why you'd want additional diffusion? In my opinion, even if being used for combustion, the stereo matrix should offer plenty of diffusion but then again I don't know your situation. This is an entirely different topic, though, so if you want to talk about that you might consider discussing it in the Mobius thread.

weedemon

enthusiast
I like this question.

I have 3 pieces, (but only really need 2)

one is for my oil rig. it's a little 100ml angled neck ehle with a Ti swing on it.

the other is a 420 special 1.5 foot bong with 2 chambers. (one normal, the other a 4 arm tree)

then I have a plain ole 1 ft (thick has hell) glass one that I use for my sublimator dry. (this one i don't really need, but it gives me the best of all worlds.

if you want to use the same piece for all 3 uses. (smoking, vaping and oil) I would say clean it every time you switch styles. (save the oil/vapor iso separate from smoking iso. oil/vap iso make great oil!)

weedemon,

OnlyHuman

Ah, I see what you mean now. You either want the straight tube design with a downstem and perc higher up in the tube or you want a stemless piece. You'll notice from ALT's selection of Mobius that you won't find both on a single piece. I'm curious as to why you'd want additional diffusion? In my opinion, even if being used for combustion, the stereo matrix should offer plenty of diffusion but then again I don't know your situation. This is an entirely different topic, though, so if you want to talk about that you might consider discussing it in the Mobius thread.

Actually, I don't know, I have heard people state that the stereo matrix is great for oils and vape, but I was looking for an everything piece. Glad to hear that the matrix is fine by itself, because I really like the look of the one I linked above, thanks a ton for your input!

I like this question.

I have 3 pieces, (but only really need 2)

one is for my oil rig. it's a little 100ml angled neck ehle with a Ti swing on it.

the other is a 420 special 1.5 foot bong with 2 chambers. (one normal, the other a 4 arm tree)

then I have a plain ole 1 ft (thick has hell) glass one that I use for my sublimator dry. (this one i don't really need, but it gives me the best of all worlds.

if you want to use the same piece for all 3 uses. (smoking, vaping and oil) I would say clean it every time you switch styles. (save the oil/vapor iso separate from smoking iso. oil/vap iso make great oil!)

Wait, I thought the Ti swing was more used for kief hash/shatter? I thought smoking oils was used with a nail?

Subliminator is something else I looked up and fail to understand so far.

I really appreciate your input as well, when I have more time I am going to look up all your pieces :).

OnlyHuman,

weedemon

enthusiast
nah, a sawing and a nail are used for the same things :)

Ive never known them to have different uses. I sue my swing for all concentrates. granted, I don't usually have any solid hashes, min are always in shatter/oil form.

the sublimator is just another really good vape. It's my daily driver and has been since June now.. it has the ability to vape herbs and oils even simultaneously. watch some vids :) that will probably help :)

OnlyHuman

nah, a sawing and a nail are used for the same things :)

Ive never known them to have different uses. I sue my swing for all concentrates. granted, I don't usually have any solid hashes, min are always in shatter/oil form.

the sublimator is just another really good vape. It's my daily driver and has been since June now.. it has the ability to vape herbs and oils even simultaneously. watch some vids :) that will probably help :)

So, if you dab a drop of oil on the TI piece, is there residue left behind? I thought the idea behind using a glass nail was that it was easily cleaned? Also, if I have some pressed kief cut into chunks, which would be better to smoke that with, a TI platform, or a nail? This question isn't necessarily posed to you, just looking for some clarification.

There really is a shit ton to learn. I didn't just jump into vaping, I jumped into vaping, concentrates, AND glass. I am getting somewhere however.

OnlyHuman,

weedemon

enthusiast
So, if you dab a drop of oil on the TI piece, is there residue left behind? I thought the idea behind using a glass nail was that it was easily cleaned? Also, if I have some pressed kief cut into chunks, which would be better to smoke that with, a TI platform, or a nail? This question isn't necessarily posed to you, just looking for some clarification.

There really is a shit ton to learn. I didn't just jump into vaping, I jumped into vaping, concentrates, AND glass. I am getting somewhere however.

that depends on the quality of your oil. the crappier he oil the more residue left behind. most of my oils leave a (oily, greasy looking) stain on the plate after doing a dab, but usually no black left over stuff. the most solid hashes will leave a residue for sure though.

for cleaning the Ti, all you do is heat it up again. simple as that. for the bong or glass, I clean that with iso. I just put it in shake and repeat until clean.

Personally, If i had solid hash I wouldn't do either. I'd smoke that shit in my pipe. (for this reason i don't usually buy or make solid hashes. Oil(were talking much more pure than solid hashes) is just that much superior imo. haha I know that's not the "right" answer, but I have never found anything better for my solid hash. (well hot knives are best, but that's ghetto. lol.) i suppose a nail might be a tad more convenient but really that's too fiddly for my taste. trying to drop it on a nail or rub it on a swing.

it's a super fun journey man if you convert to 100% vapour you will notice a health benefit and you will develop a better weed palate. WELCOME TO FLAVOUR COUNTRY MY FRIEND :)

when I have more time I am going to look up all your pieces

what vapes have you got and tried yet??? as a guide the ones I have in green are the ones I lied the best or still use today/ on a daily basis.

think of vapes as in 2 tiers... Portables, home vapes cheap/expensive ones.

I think the solo is the best portable vape for me. it hits the hardest, it does it reliably, and i can use it all day.

for home vapes my fave is a toss up, the cloud was amazing! but mine broke. there is a newer version called the cloud evo coming out next month. can't wait to get it. and then there is the sublimator. these are the 2 best imo atm. but this is just one members opinion. you will find lots more than just mine on here :)

Last edited:
weedemon,

OnlyHuman

Right now I am using the Plenty for vaping. For concentrates I have the Cloud pen (not very good) and the dr. dabber with a PNWT that really is great. I do think the solo will be another purchase down the road. The way it is so versatile is something hard to pass up for the amount of money it is. For now though, I really need some glass!

My pressed kief does NOT smoke well in a pipe. I will never do that again. It just scorches it and never really burns it properly. I suppose I could be doing something drastically wrong (any tips), but until I realize that you don't just torch it...I wont be doing that again.

edit: for clarity I take my kief and press it together into little 1/4" x 1/2" patties with a spacecase press.

I figured the TI plate would act just like a hot knife? I suppose not...that sucks.

After heating back up the TI plate, to you wipe it down or something, or does whatever left just magically disappear into the ether?

OnlyHuman,

weedemon

enthusiast
I think hot knives work better for pressed hash because you get 2 hot surfaces pressing it. with a dab style the dabber only moves it around as the Ti part does the vaping. it works, just hot knives are better imo.

Regarding Ti cleaning. i just heat my ti up, red next time and it's clean and ready to go by time its cooled and ready to take my next dab. :) with a poor quality oil even I've never had to wipe it down before. the heating process each time is enough.

weedemon,

weedemon

enthusiast
no worries dude. :) this turned more into a pm than a thread :p where did everyone else go? :p

any other q's though, and I am happy to help.

weedemon,
Reactions: Puffers

PhotoRider

Diagnosed with level 11 G.A.S.
I would not use a TI nail, swing or a quartz nail for hash/keif - its not full melt and still has plant material in it. Maybe some hash is full melt, but I have not seen any myself.

If you what to vape that treat it like flower - a sub, cloud etc.

BHO is oil, budder, shatter etc. All the same stuff just different amount of work in it. All uses butane to extract from the plant. CO2 is also used to make full melt. RSO still has plant material so I wouldn't use a nail/swing.

I say herb vaping and oil vaping in the same pipe is just fine, maybe not even cleaning. The oil will flavor the herb vape.

If you are going to combust too, I would at least use an ash collector on the pipe to keep ash out of it. Makes it much easier to clean the main body and you don’t use the ash collector to vape, only combustion. Plus clean in between.

I use grudge off. I have never had a stain and I have 20 year old glass I have combusted out of for years. I replace 4 bottle of it per year. That is $60/year and I have many pipes, like 150 now.

I don’t like to take my $$$ pipes, throw salt and ISO in it and shake or any process that requires shaking. Not with a $4,000 pipe. I think I can invest in a $15 bottle of grudge off for it. I use it over and over. I use the same bottles for herb vape/oil and a separate set for combustion pipe. I never mix though since I have dedicated pipes since I like a different type for combustion.

Finally, do yourself another favor - use a charcoal filter when you combust between the ash collector and the pipe. Once you try it you will not combust w/o it. Use charcoal from a pet store...

Last edited:

OnlyHuman

I would not use a TI nail, swing or a quartz nail for hash/keif - its not full melt and still has plant material in it. Maybe some hash is full melt, but I have not seen any myself.

If you what to vape that treat it like flower - a sub, cloud etc.

BHO is oil, budder, shatter etc. All the same stuff just different amount of work in it. All uses butane to extract from the plant. CO2 is also used to make full melt. RSO still has plant material so I wouldn't use a nail/swing.

I say herb vaping and oil vaping in the same pipe is just fine, maybe not even cleaning. The oil will flavor the herb vape.

If you are going to combust too, I would at least use an ash collector on the pipe to keep ash out of it. Makes it much easier to clean the main body and you don’t use the ash collector to vape, only combustion. Plus clean in between.

I use grudge off. I have never had a stain and I have 20 year old glass I have combusted out of for years. I replace 4 bottle of it per year. That is $60/year and I have many pipes, like 150 now.

I don’t like to take my $$$ pipes, throw salt and ISO in it and shake or any process that requires shaking. Not with a $4,000 pipe. I think I can invest in a $15 bottle of grudge off for it. I use it over and over. I use the same bottles for herb vape/oil and a separate set for combustion pipe. I never mix though since I have dedicated pipes since I like a different type for combustion.

Finally, do yourself another favor - use a charcoal filter when you combust between the ash collector and the pipe. Once you try it you will not combust w/o it. Use charcoal from a pet store...

Thanks so much! Lots of information here.

I am confused when you say my kief block is not full melt... actually, I only have ever combusted it, so I guess I have no idea. Guess I won't be making any more kief blocks, I really really dislike the way they smoke. I will probably just cut it up into pieces and throw it in my Plenty this weekend, sick of looking at this dumb unsmokable block. It never stays lit because it is so solid, so you kind of end up smoking butane from trying to light it up. oh well.

This grudge off that you use to clean your pipes, are you only re-using it because it can be and it's strong to keep working, or are you trying to reclaim or something?

I definitely plan on using an ash-catcher. Was not sold on the charcoal filter... I really want to stay away from combusting, so we will see how much I want to spend on those attachments. So it would go Bowl -> ashcatcher -> charcoal filter -> stem -> can?

Thanks again everyone! Really enjoying the friendliness on this site, I have been asking a ridiculous amount of questions and only once did someone respond, 'read the 20 page thread'. Thank you!

OnlyHuman,

PhotoRider

Diagnosed with level 11 G.A.S.
You have it right on sequence.

Ok don't combust. Vape the block. Many options for that.

Full melt means it fully melts and becomes liquid and vapes away. Little is left behind. Full melt has little plant material in it.

Personally I oil vape bho mostly.

PhotoRider,
Top Bottom