Cleaning Screens/Vape Equipment with Spirits - How Long To Wait Before Safe to Vape Again?

ILExtreme

Hi,

I've got a V-Tower Extreme - the screen/filter got very dirty so I cleaned it with methylated spirits/de-natured alcohol. This stuff is extremely toxic and will kill you if you consume any.. Anyway it's a recommended cleaner as it's great at cutting through crap and removing it..

My filter is clean now and I've washed it twice with boiling water after the methylated spirit. I've had it next to my laptop exhaust for about 2 hours now, do you think this is enough to remove any lingering methylated spirit? I just don't want to end up enhaling any of this crap!

Thanks!

ILExtreme,

Poochka

shoulda just used rubbing alcohol, 91% then rinse with tap water. this is what i use for everything that needs to be cleaned with a solvent.

Poochka,

ILExtreme

Yeah I didn't have any rubbing alcohol, do you think the methylated spirit will have evaporated/cleaned off from the filter now?

ILExtreme,

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
I feel like it should be, your best bet if you DON'T have any other screens would be running your V-Tower fan with that screen but don't put any herb in it.

If there seem to be fumes and an unusual odor you may just want to grab a 2 dollar bottle of 91% alcohol and a new screen.

Pretty sure it doesn't say anywhere recommended for pipe screens.

paytonpenn,

hazy

combustion fucker
Manufacturer
I wouldn't consider methylated spirit extremely toxic. You wouldn't want to drink it, but the tiny amount remaining on some cleaned parts is not going to pose any danger. It evaporates real quick anyway. The only thing I don't like about iso etc is that it leaves a taste that takes a while to get rid of.

I use Polish Pure Spirit. It's 95% alcohol and is actually made for consumption. You can't go wrong with that!

OF

I wouldn't consider methylated spirit extremely toxic. You wouldn't want to drink it, but the tiny amount remaining on some cleaned parts is not going to pose any danger.

Yeah, what he just said. Methyl alcohol evaporates off at basically the same rate as the ethyl alcohol it's mixed with, which is why they use it (hard to separate out). Us Yanks call it 'wood alcohol' and the mixture 'denatured alcohol' if that rings any bells? It's what you used in High School chem lab.

Boiling it in water for even a few minutes got rid of it.

OF

akwardsauce

gold all in my chains...dont believe me just watch
if its just a metal screen, maybe just flicker it over a lighter for a few seconds on each side? i would have definitely not used it in the first place, but i know thats not really helpful advice at the moment...

akwardsauce,

weedemon

enthusiast
the key you cleaning your stuff with pretty much any solvent I can think of is when you are done, rinse out of your pieces with water. then you will be safe to use your things right away! (I'm thinking about my bong in this particular case)

Top Bottom