Cannabis News

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Mulvany may push it along for his own reasons. These guys are all out for themselves, they don't give a shit about us. A couple (maybe most) of them only support Trump for the access he gives them. Mulvany will buy up a bunch of industry stocks on the sly and or find a way to manipulate the laws that will get them (or him) a big payday.
As long as they don't limit what people can access (like concentrate only) I don't really care if he steals from us. After this admin is history we are going after all these guys for their thieving anyway. Pruitt, Zinke, Devos, Mnuchin, Ross, all these guys seem to think they can get away with anything but I'm really hoping they are gonna find out that as private citizens their teflon degrades substantially.
Anyway, Mulvany in this spot is unlikely to hurt this issue. He appears to also be keeping his other 2 jobs, head of the OMB and head of the CFPB (which he has all but shut down) where he has been doing plenty of damage.

ClearBlueLou

unbearably light in the being....
In passing, I’m reminded that a major flaw in our governmental structure is that we’ve never taken any steps to prevent members of Congress from enriching themselves via insider trading (as legislators and regulators, they are the ultimate insiders).

My issues pale compared to the crap you folks have to deal with.
It is like sharing a house with crazy people - crazy as in unable to tell truth from falsehood, to distinguish reality from fantasy.

It’s also like an abusive relationship with a fellow inmate....
I’m rather glad your issues pale in comparison. Glad y’all are okay.

Last edited:

Tranquility

MedMen may have some trouble. Class actions against an employer is going to cost them tens of thousands in defense costs to even attempt to avoid a class being named. If the action is approved, they are going to need a metric boatload of cash in defense because, if they lose, it could be devastating to cash flow.

https://www.cannalawblog.com/cannabis-employment-law-the-class-action-lawsuits-are-here/
MedMen, a popular California cannabis retail company, has been hit with a class action lawsuit from former employees. Class action lawsuits are no joke. These lawsuits involve a few plaintiffs suing on behalf of multiple similarly situated plaintiffs. The claims, money, and other associated costs add up very fast.

In MedMen’s case, two former employees, Chelsea Medlock and Anthony Torres, allege that MedMen failed to pay them for all hours worked, failed to pay overtime wages, failed to provide mandatory meal and rest breaks, and failed to keep accurate records of employees hours worked. Medlock and Torres worsened the blow by bringing the lawsuit as a class action on behalf of all MedMen employees (current and former) from the last four years. If the class is “certified” by the Superior Court of the State of California, where it was filed, the class of plaintiffs could include thousands of employees.

Specifically, Medlock and Torres allege MedMen required them to perform work “off-the-clock” for which they received no pay. Medlock and Torres are seeking minimum wage, liquidated damages, interest and attorney fees for the unpaid time. Although Medlock and Torres have not made specific allegations in the complaint, Starbucks was recently ordered to pay an employee $102.67 for the time the employee spent locking up the store and setting alarms, without compensation. While this amount may seem small, if Medlock and Torres get their class certified, MedMen could be paying out a similar amount or something much greater, to thousands of employees.

Medlock and Torres also allege in their lawsuit that MedMen failed to pay employees required overtime wages. In California, employers must pay overtime rates to non-exempt employees who work in excess of eight hours per day. Medlock and Torres also allege they either were not provided the required meal and rest periods, or were not paid for the meal periods they had to work during. Medlock and Torres have not identified specific dates these alleged violations occurred, but if done over a significant period of time, the back wages and penalities owed will add up quickly.

In addition to their claims relating to their wages, the plaintiffs allege they were not provided accurate wage and hour statements as required by the California Labor Code and failed to provide accurate payroll records. Failure to provide accurate wage and hour statements can result in a penalty of up to $4,000 per employee.

Finally, Medlock and Torres allege that MedMen failed to timely issue final paychecks. Failure to issue final paychecks can result in penalty wages of up to thirty days of pay at the employee regular rate of pay.

In short, Medlock and Torres’s claims are numerous and serious. If they have merit, MedMen will have to pay pack wages and may be hit with treble damages, attorney fees, and interest. Of more important, if the class is certified, MedMen will have to pay those types of damages to potentially every employee they employed in California over the last four years.

Cannabis companies are growing. With growing businesses come more employees. More employees means a higher chance of litigation. For these reasons, if you are ever unsure whether your employment practices are compliant with state and federal law, it is best to have a cannabis employment attorney evaluate and provide advice. You may be able to stave off litigation, or, if you are hit with a lawsuit, you’ll have procedures in place to adequately fight it before it gets too far.​

howie105

My issues pale compared to the crap you folks have to deal with.
.....It all depends on what one wants. Many people just don't want to have to worry about getting busted for growing weeds in their backyard. They are more then willing to let the commercial guys, tax guys and the I cant's deal with each other.

howie105,
Reactions: macbill

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Marijuana Use Doesn’t Actually Change The Structure Of Your Brain, New Study Finds
https://www.marijuanamoment.net/mar...-the-structure-of-your-brain-new-study-finds/
This is your brain on marijuana…and it looks pretty much the same as the brains of non-users.

That’s essentially what researchers concluded after comparing the brain morphology of 140 cannabis consumers and 121 people in a control group. Contrary to most previous research on the subject, they found marijuana use had “no significant effects on cortical surface morphology.”

ClearBlueLou

National Enquirer's Bat Boy is my child....
New study finds that marijuana can reprogram sperm genes

We already know that cannabis lowers sperm count, but new research suggests that the drug actually causes genetic changes to the sperm itself — which might have implications for the health of a potential baby.
I’m kind of stunned: what a meaningless collection of words.

Someone was surprised by test results, because epigenetics, because huh.

What it seems to be trying to say is that a study found “changes” in epigenetic methyl groups (tho it waves *very* vaguely) that were “more” in general pot smokers, so more study.

A simple announcement that ‘evidence suggests a relation between cannabis use and epigenetic ‘state’ of some sort in sperm cells’ was just too hard, I guess?

(Macsbill, I tried to copy your “not so fast on the brain damage” article, but my computer has decided it didn’t know how to do that)

I find it interesting that as the dominance of cannabis demonology gives way before science and experience, we start discovering that the hysteria was propped up by the worst kind of pseudo-science. The same kind of pseudo-science used to “show” that cigarettes were safe, that smog is good for you, and that herd-immunity isn’t a thing. Then again, when all the history of cannabis disappeared from the shelves under Nixon, it was to make smooth the road for cultural and political oppression. Nice to see the sunshine!

I appreciate the effort you put into this, Bill(?). Thank you for it!

Last edited:

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Anheuser-Busch InBev is teaming up with medical marijuana company Tilray to research and test drinks containing THC and CBD.
They won't even need to change the name.:cheers:

Beer_WeedIntersection__WIDE.jpg

:peace:

neverforget711

Someone puĺed a fast one in congress an hemp is now authorized. And Orange man receives passive credit as a result.Remember when Obama pussyfooted and said this was not a way to grow the economy? Let's measure up.
I don't wamt to believe this will be a disruptive i.e. move fast and break things nature of enterprise.

Article follows.

Legal hemp is here.

The 2018 Farm Bill, which legalizes the cultivation of industrial hemp, was signed this week by President Donald Trump. This marks the start of a clean, green agricultural-industrial revolution in America.

For the last ten years, I’ve been CEO of Hemp, Inc., working with local American farmers and entrepreneurs in states where growing hemp is legal (despite the up-until-now federal prohibition). Removing the federal ban on industrial hemp cultivation opens up interstate hemp commerce and bank financing. According to Forbes, China currently dominates the cannabis market by producing 50 percent of the world’s supply. However, the great news is the Farm Bill sets the stage for the U.S. to dominate the industry.

Here are my predictions for what’s going to happen in the next few years with legalized hemp:
Bringing Back Small Family Farms

According to government data, since the Great Depression, two-thirds of small family farms have disappeared. What was once the backbone of many communities has been lost. In today’s world, traditional crops—corn, soybeans, etc.—have tight profit margins that can’t support a family anymore.

Legal hemp will change all that.

By growing high-CBD hemp, I’ve seen a small farm (7 acres!) earn $1.2 million in one year; I’ve seen another farm (55 acres) make $8 million in a year. Other crops will typically leave new farmers earning, on average, $26,000 for the first five years. It only takes a few acres of hemp while growing other crops to turn a substantial profit.

As hemp has become legal in states over the last few years, there has been a tidal wave of farmers eager to grow hemp, because they’re not making money in other plants.

In states like North Carolina, Oregon and Florida, we’re seeing hundreds of high paying jobs emerge because of hemp farming. We support the local farm worker by paying more than the average farm worker’s $10.95 hourly wage; as an example, we employed 40 trimmers this year that were making more than $35 an hour.

In the 60s, there was a back-to-the-land movement, but for many idealistic people seeking a simpler way of life, the economics of an agrarian lifestyle didn’t work. Hemp will make back-to-the-land financially viable and return the small family farm to a prominent place in the American economy—without the need for massive government subsidies.

Unleashing Several Multi-Billion Dollar Industries

Some expect the global industrial hemp industry to hit $20 billion by 2022. According to Congressional Research Service, up until now, the U.S. has imported on average $100 million worth of hemp products each year. Legalization means that money can now go to American farmers and companies.

Today’s hemp demand far outstrips supply. In the past hemp was primarily used for textiles. With the new Farm Bill making hemp research possible, hemp is poised to disrupt multibillion-dollar industries like healthcare, construction and even energy.

According to Forbes, CBD (cannabidiol) oil is poised to grow to a $2.1 billion consumer industry by 2020, 700 percent growth from 2016. CBD oil can reportedly help treat a wide range of ailments—everything from pain to acne to epilepsy.

And CBD oil is just one of the thousands of possible uses for hemp. Scientists can now investigate the dozens of other cannabinoids and terpenes present in cannabis. Who knows how much these hemp-derived chemicals will be worth in the future?

The legalization of hemp will also usher in a new cast of entrepreneurs who transform existing industries. Products like Hempcrete allow for sustainable housing to be built. Hemp plastic is cheaper than some alternatives and is also biodegradable. Hemp can even be turned into biodiesel.

Transforming the Health and Wellness of Our Country

We’ve only begun to scratch the surface of hemp’s uses, but one of the clearest benefits it will have is on our nation’s health and wellness.

Just this year, the FDA approved the first cannabis-based drug to treat epilepsy. Other research suggests even greater uses. Cannabinoids has been used to help keep opioid addicts from relapsing. It has been used to help treat diabetes. Some research suggests CBD oil can reduce anxiety. According to a recent survey, nearly 50% of people who used CBD to treat a medical issue stopped using traditional prescription medications.

With more research funds and greater acceptance of cannabis-derived products as a viable medicinal substitute, the healthcare industry will be transformed. According to a report in Health Affairs, Medicare could have saved a billion dollars a year on prescription costs alone if medical marijuana was legal. With the highest medical costs in the world, relief can’t come soon enough to Americans.

Challenges still remain for the hemp industry after legalization. We need to build up the local infrastructure and educate people about hemp. But the worldwide demand for the environmentally sustainable products and medicines made possible by hemp shows no signs of slowing down.

Bruce Perlowin is the CEO of publicly-traded Hemp, Inc. He currently is facing SEC fraud charges that were filed in 2016. Perlowin was also formerly known as the “King of Pot,” after spending nine years in prison for marijuana smuggling. He denies all current SEC charges and is locked in a legal battle to clear his name.
https://www.foxbusiness.com/small-b...e-hemp-revolution-will-now-be-made-in-america

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Hemp farming, too, will be overtaken by the super farms. The super farm will be able to bring economies of scale to a basically fungible good. Like wheat and corn, the cheaper you can produce it the cheaper you can sell it.

A nurseryman I met in Oregon told me the average plant he grows takes four years and produces $16 in profit. He will do better than that in one year in hemp per plant, but believes in 4 years everyone will be growing it and high profits gone.

Last edited:

C No Ego

Hemp farming, too, will be overtaken by the super farms. The super farm will be able to bring economies of scale to a basically fungible good. Like wheat and corn, the cheaper you can produce it the cheaper you can sell it.

A nurseryman I met in Oregon told me the average plant he grows takes four years and produces $16 in profit. He will do better than that in one year in hemp per plant, but believes in 4 years everyone will be growing it and high profits gone.
there goes the end of medical cannabis plant grown outdoors... Well, there goes before we even had a chance legally . Hemp pollen will Rue the Day

YaMon

Vaping since 2010
there goes the end of medical cannabis plant grown outdoors... Well, there goes before we even had a chance legally . Hemp pollen will Rue the Day
Actually, the cross pollination will work both ways, preserving strains will become important. This will also drive legalization as it will become difficult to keep crops from being cross pollinated. (They'll have more THC than is legal) I'd be happy to help Mother Nature cross pollinate if it helped speed Cannabis legalization.

Krazy

Actually, the cross pollination will work both ways, preserving strains will become important. This will also drive legalization as it will become difficult to keep crops from being cross pollinated. (They'll have more THC than is legal) I'd be happy to help Mother Nature cross pollinate if it helped speed Cannabis legalization.
Monsanto woes?

C No Ego

after one crop turn around that hemp pollen will completely take over sativa indica varietals... after three grow cycles hemp would be the main chemotype and completely over take any other types.

ClearBlueLou

It might be a whack to outdoor sinsemilla, but it likely won’t “take over” other crops in most cases.
Not saying pollination from off premises wouldn’t happen, but winds and distance *will* send most pollen away from any general point (YMMV obvs). If one is growing personal, then just don’t plant the seeds you find. If someone else picks the seed out of a bag, it won’t affect your crop at all.

It’s *as* likely that someone’s towering sativa will juice up a downwind hemp crop....

Top Bottom