Cannabis News

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Well, I really don't care if he is a dick. I care that he develops the technology we need. Rockets to carry Americans (and others) to the ISS and beyond, rather than being dependent on Russia. Electric cars. Solar energy panels AND POWER PLANTS. New cheaper, better, safer and more efficient battery technologies. This is what we NEED for the future. His personality is not really my concern. I would rather he not be an asshole, but his brilliance is exactly what we need. And if we can't get the latter without the former, I'll deal. YMMV

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
@cybrguy - can you think of any other currently famous "CEO level" person who is viewed as an eccentric, hurtful, a-hole by their followers that is always given a pass by those followers because his contributions/actions are seen as highly valuable to them? Common decency is becoming less common because of ass-hats like that.

I don't care what your contribution to society is if one of those contributions is lowering the bar for how people SHOULD treat each other. A hurtful prick is a hurtful prick regardless of their accomplishments/status AND they should be called on it consistently.

Who knows...maybe if those who follow and even admire these types of "high value" people called them on their crap they might stop doing it in public and might stop setting the example for the masses.

florduh

More CEO's on video imbibing weed, please. I always worried more about drug tests than cops. :science:

The shitty part is... Tesla drug tests their employees. If the media wants to make an issue out of something here, it should be that.

I watch/listen to basically every Joe Rogan Experience episode.

Elon barely inhaled. I've never seen a more nonsensical Media panic in my life.

Prior to handing him the blunt, Rogan even joked "I'm sure you can't... the shareholders".

Well... he was right. Musk even got a text moments later, with someone bitching at him over it. He said he never smokes weed. Anyone watching him saw that was likely true. Yet our media made him out to be a full-on Stoner. Ridiculous.

Maybe instead of clickbait, the News could've focused on the MANY fascinating topics discussed on this podcast episode. Elon talked about the civilization disrupting effects of Artificial General Intelligence. Something most of us will have to deal with in our lifetime. His passionate defense of a "green energy economy" was also quite interesting.

Oh. He also mentioned the upcoming release of his "neural lace" that will connect brains directly to the internet. But every news site chose to focus on the guy taking an anemic puff on a blunt.

Talk about burying the damn lede.

steama

Elon Musk is known to be ruthless with his employees and now we see how he and his companies manipulate employee reviews, and drug testing as tools to cut employee numbers. I have read horrible stories of employees being fired for a single late whether there was a reason or not. Elon Musk is indeed a brilliant genius, a 20 billionaire, and a MASSIVE FUCKING HYPOCRITE. When it comes to Elon, Elon does what he fucking wants. He does not care about firing a single mother with three kids to raise because she failed a drug test for weed. If you or your company fires people for using cannabis you DO NOT GET TO USE CANNABIS YOURSELF fucking asshole! Is there something about this you do not understand Mr. Genius.

I have been an Elon Musk fan forever, but not so much anymore.

:mad:

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member

florduh

Elon Musk is known to be ruthless with his employees and now we see how he and his companies manipulate employee reviews, and drug testing as tools to cut employee numbers. I have read horrible stories of employees being fired for a single late whether there was a reason or not. Elon Musk is indeed a brilliant genius, a 20 billionaire, and a MASSIVE FUCKING HYPOCRITE. When it comes to Elon, Elon does what he fucking wants. He does not care about firing a single mother with three kids to raise because she failed a drug test for weed. If you or your company fires people for using cannabis you DO NOT GET TO USE CANNABIS YOURSELF fucking asshole! Is there something about this you do not understand Mr. Genius.

I have been an Elon Musk fan forever, but not so much anymore.

:mad:

I agree Tesla shouldn’t be drug testing their employees. But Musk barely took a puff on an offered joint, just to be polite. He doesn’t smoke at all. So he’s a dick for testing Tesla employees. But I’d hardly call him a hypocrite. Refusing the joint would’ve just been weird.

I’m not any angrier at him than I am at every other CEO who drug tests. But none of those motherfuckers are actively working on making us a multiplanetary species, so I’m willing to cut Crazy Elon a little slack.

florduh,

steama

I agree Tesla shouldn’t be drug testing their employees. But Musk barely took a puff on an offered joint, just to be polite. He doesn’t smoke at all. So he’s a dick for testing Tesla employees. But I’d hardly call him a hypocrite. Refusing the joint would’ve just been weird.

I’m not any angrier at him than I am at every other CEO who drug tests. But none of those motherfuckers are actively working on making us a multiplanetary species, so I’m willing to cut Crazy Elon a little slack.
FUCKING HYPOCRITE 100% >>> Elon cuts absolutely nobody slack. Elon Musk is much, much, more angering than the average CEO because he is absolutely ruthless when it comes to rules and his employees and fires people for doing what he does regardless of explanation. Elon Musk is a huge hypocritical dick and NOBODY that enjoys cannabis should support such a person as him.

Cannabis should be off limits to Mr. Musk and he deserves absolutely ZERO slack. Elon Musk has a lot to do what is wrong with planet earth. He needs to clean his act up.

:myday:

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
I've become sensitive to people like Musk, who act in a childish, vengeful, entitled manner whenever they are challenged or feel defensive. I'm tired of it in politics, big business and even in my work-a-day world. It's on the rise.

When Musk, without proof, began calling one of the people involved with the Thai cave rescue a pedophile because he and others on the rescue team said that Musk's rescue pod was either not workable or a publicity ploy....Musk ended up on my entitled asshole list. I'm aware that the argument was bi-directional and that the rescue person said "It never had a chance of working, was a publicity stunt and Musk should shove the pod where it hurts" BEFORE being called a "pedo guy" by musk. When Musk realized he went one step too far he apologized, removed the "pedo" tweet and then re-upped on the accusation again, still without proof, when someone else put him on the defensive by calling out the tweet and lack of proof.....smelled like someone having a hard time controlling themselves to me without regard for how low he could sink......entitled dick move.

IMO....He's not an amazing person. He's a person of low character who is successful.

florduh

FUCKING HYPOCRITE 100% >>> Elon cuts absolutely nobody slack. Elon Musk is much, much, more angering than the average CEO because he is absolutely ruthless when it comes to rules and his employees and fires people for doing what he does regardless of explanation. Elon Musk is a huge hypocritical dick and NOBODY that enjoys cannabis should support such a person as him.

Cannabis should be off limits to Mr. Musk and he deserves absolutely ZERO slack. Elon Musk has a lot to do what is wrong with planet earth. He needs to clean his act up.

:myday:

Agree to disagree. I think it would have been weird for him to refuse the joint on that podcast. And he barely puffed on it for 2 seconds. You're making it sound like he's taking huge bong rips every night while his employees are being tested. THAT would be hypocritical. But as he said, he never touches the stuff.

Maybe people who didn't actually watch or listen to the 3 hour podcast, like every member of the News Media, shouldn't comment on it?

Musk said he didn't feel anything (how could he?) so maybe this will cause him to rethink his policy?

Last edited:
florduh,
Reactions: hibeam

steama

Agree to disagree. I think it would have been weird for him to refuse the joint on that podcast. And he barely puffed on it for 2 seconds. You're making it sound like he's taking huge bong rips every night while his employees are being tested. THAT would be hypocritical. But as he said, he never touches the stuff.

Maybe people who didn't actually watch or listen to the 3 hour podcast, like every member of the News Media, shouldn't comment on it?

Musk said he didn't feel anything (how could he?) so maybe this will cause him to rethink his policy?
Wake the fuck up. This is not about Musk smoking cannabis or puffing on a blunt. This is about hypocrisy when Musk FIRES employees for doing exactly what he did. What don't you understand about this situation?

How is it you do not understand that this is NOT about cannabis use? This is about Mr. Musk having different rules for his employees that he does not follow himself. Rules that when enforced ruins people lives. Musk is a pure bred hypocrite 100%.

florduh

Wake the fuck up. This is not about Musk smoking cannabis or puffing on a blunt. This is about hypocrisy when Musk FIRES employees for doing exactly what he did. What don't you understand about this situation?

How is it you do not understand that this is NOT about cannabis use? This is about Mr. Musk having different rules for his employees that he does not follow himself. Rules that when enforced ruins people lives. Musk is a pure bred hypocrite 100%.

This is what I'm talking about. You didn't watch or listen to the podcast. You just heard a clickbait news story. It would've been bizzare for him to refuse the blunt. That's just how it goes on the Joe Rogan Experience. If he refused, THAT would've been what people are bitching about.

I agree he shouldn't test employees. I'll even grant that it was a little hypocritical. But you are acting like Musk blazes 24/7 and doesn't let his employees do that same. Not the case. He was just being polite on a podcast where guests often smoke weed.

In any case, I am PRO more non-imbibers trying weed. Especially CEOs. Maybe they will see it's not really a big deal.

florduh,
Reactions: hibeam

steama

This is what I'm talking about. You didn't watch or listen to the podcast. You just heard a clickbait news story. It would've been bizzare for him to refuse the blunt. That's just how it goes on the Joe Rogan Experience. If he refused, THAT would've been what people are bitching about.

I agree he shouldn't test employees. I'll even grant that it was a little hypocritical. But you are acting like Musk blazes 24/7 and doesn't let his employees do that same. Not the case. He was just being polite on a podcast where guests often smoke weed.

In any case, I am PRO more non-imbibers trying weed. Especially CEOs. Maybe they will see it's not really a big deal.

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Just a comment about the employee situation because I do NOT want to get in the middle of this debate, however, something that needs to be considered is insurance. I spent a lifetime in the car business. When you are first hired they test you so you can be supported by the company insurance should you damage a vehicle, or cause/have and accident/injury. After the initial test, they didn't test you unless you had an "incident" and if you tested dirty the insurance company wouldn't pay anything. This included prescription opiates as well.

I think Musk is probably constrained in a similar way. If someone at Tesla or SpaceX gets hurt, damages a vehicle/rocket, or releases a vehicle/rocket to the public with a defect which may cause damage or injury during normal use, the insurance companies are going to make damn well sure no illicit substances were involved.

Having said that, if it was me on the Joe Rogan show, I would have declined the blunt and said it would not be fair to the employees if I did such a thing. I think that would have been the best way to handle the situation, just my opinion, YMMV . . . :peace:

Last edited:

florduh

Re-read my comment. We aren't disagreeing.

I granted that he shouldn't be testing employees. Though it's quite unlikely any of his employees would be fired for doing what he did: being polite in a social situation and holding half a puff in his mouth for 2 seconds. But the fact that most of his employees wouldn't feel safe taking that risk, while Musk did, is very problematic.

I don't think arguing over what percentage hypocrite Musk is is very productive. I just think the more powerful people who see that weed isn't a big deal... the better.

Having said that, if it was me on the Joe Rogan show, I would have declined the blunt and said it would not be fair to the employees if I did such a thing. I think that would have been the best way to handle to situation, just my opinion, YMMV . . . :peace:

Totally fair point. As a JRE fan, I think that would've been a really bizarre move based on how the show usually operates, but refusing would've been the more honorable move, I agree. Just would've been really weird in the context.

steama

Re-read my comment. We aren't disagreeing.

I granted that he shouldn't be testing employees. Though it's quite unlikely any of his employees would be fired for doing what he did: being polite in a social situation and holding half a puff in his mouth for 2 seconds. But the fact that most of his employees wouldn't feel safe taking that risk, while Musk did, is very problematic.

I don't think arguing over what percentage hypocrite Musk is is very productive. I just think the more powerful people who see that weed isn't a big deal... the better.
I vehemently disagree with you. People are not a certain percentage of hypocrite they either practice hypocrisy or they don't. Mr. Musk practices hypocrisy.

You do not understand what hypocrisy is.

steama,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Totally fair point. As a JRE fan, I think that would've been a really bizarre move based on how the show usually operates, but refusing would've been the more honorable move, I agree. Just would've been really weird in the context.
It may seem bizarre/weird but as CEO he has to set the example and tone for the company, that's his responsibility. He was already drinking whiskey so he was relaxing and having fun. Refusing the blunt on the grounds that it wouldn't be fair to his employees would have been acceptable IMHO. YMMV . . . :peace:

florduh

I vehemently disagree with you. People are not a certain percentage of hypocrite they either practice hypocrisy or they don't. Mr. Musk practices hypocrisy.

You do not understand what hypocrisy is.

I guess I'm just not a black and white thinker.

If Musk was a known stoner who blazed 24/7, in my opinion, he'd be more hypocritical than what he is... which is a guy who succumbed to social pressure on a weed friendly podcast and fondled a blunt for 4 seconds, but otherwise doesn't touch the stuff.

Agree to disagree.

It may seem bizarre/weird but as CEO he has to set the example and tone for the company, that's his responsibility. He was already drinking whiskey so he was relaxing and having fun. Refusing the blunt on the grounds that it wouldn't be fair to his employees would have been acceptable IMHO. YMMV . . . :peace:

Well...I don't think he lets his employees drink whiskey in the middle of a weekday either. I totally see your point, but from previous JRE episodes I know that refusing the joint and making that statement would've derailed a very interesting podcast. Maybe hearing them talk about drug testing in the auto industry for an hour would've been interesting. But I would rather have heard them talk about Artificial Intelligence and neural lace.

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Well...I don't think he lets his employees drink whiskey in the middle of a weekday either.
Of course you can't drink at work and you can't show up to work drunk/hungover or smelling of alcohol either. If you have an "incident" alcohol is tested for as well.

IMHO, Elon was not "at work" when he appeared on the JRE . . .

florduh

Of course you can't drink at work and you can't show up to work drunk/hungover or smelling of alcohol either. If you have an "incident" alcohol is tested for as well.

IMHO, Elon was not "at work" when he appeared on the JRE . . .

Yeah, I just think it's funny that every news organization on earth was apoplectic over the almost non-existent weed puff, but had nothing to say about hitting the whiskey hard in the middle of the day.

I also can't find any evidence that office workers at Tesla are drug tested at all. It looks like it's just assembly line workers, which is likely an industry standard. So an accountant working at Tesla could've done more or less exactly what Musk did, and they wouldn't lose their job.

Musk further claims this in response to the drug testing controversy:

“Our policy allows trace amounts of THC [an ingredient of cannabis] during work times, provided they are below the safety limit (much like a minimum alcohol level).”

No clue how they are determining that though.

steama

I guess I'm just not a black and white thinker.

If Musk was a known stoner who blazed 24/7, in my opinion, he'd be more hypocritical than what he is... which is a guy who succumbed to social pressure on a weed friendly podcast and fondled a blunt for 4 seconds, but otherwise doesn't touch the stuff.

Agree to disagree.

Well...I don't think he lets his employees drink whiskey in the middle of a weekday either. I totally see your point, but from previous JRE episodes I know that refusing the joint and making that statement would've derailed a very interesting podcast. Maybe hearing them talk about drug testing in the auto industry for an hour would've been interesting. But I would rather have heard them talk about Artificial Intelligence and neural lace.
This is NOT about whiskey, this is NOT about cannabis, this is NOT about how much cannabis a person uses. This is about a CEO having company wide regulations, with consequences for violating those regulations. The problem is when the consequences are not applied equally to everyone who violates them.

It is not fair and sends a mixed message to everyone. Again, this is not about cannabis or any substance, the same holds true if you had those kinds of regulations for peanut butter cookies.

Fair is fair and Elon Musk is not fair.

:2c:

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
I also can't find any evidence that office workers at Tesla are drug tested at all. It looks like it's just assembly line workers, which is likely an industry standard.
This is NOT about whiskey, this is NOT about cannabis. this is NOT about how much cannabis a person uses. This is about a CEO having company wide regulations, with consequences, for violating those regulations. The problem is when the consequences are not applied equally to everyone who violates them.
I know a family that owns a construction company. They have a random lottery once a month and some people are tested. The lottery includes all employees including the owners themselves. No exceptions.

steama

I know a family that owns a construction company. They have a random lottery once a month and some people are tested. The lottery includes all employees including the owners themselves. No exceptions.
Your point? I have worked for many of those types of companies.

If the owners stand behind the rules they make for their employees I am fine with it as long as everyone, including the owners, is fair and on the up and up.

steama,
Top Bottom