1. Interested in a popular vape? Short on time? Be sure to check out the Best Of threads for Plug-Ins and Portables.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

Cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome

Discussion in 'Medical Discussion' started by Nosferatu, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Glass004

Glass004 Consumer Advocate

We eat the same diet LOL
    Esophagitus can occur for other reasons beside diet selection. Some have a physical defect allowing acid reflux. Elevation of the bed's head is what we did before three were medications. A short course of a PPI could be diagnostic.
    I have had CHS for decades using many different types of herb. I don't think I could say the type of weed smoked mattered, only that I smoked it.

2. darkrom

darkrom Great Scott!

I know a LOT of people who think they have organic cannabis when in reality the "nutrients" they use are far from it.

It's highly unlikely as a tourist in Jamaica you had some indoor hydro etc. It was probably outdoor grown organic.

You might know your excellent grower. But do you know every single nutrient and soil material? Just something to consider.

syrupy likes this.
  3. Garysfriend

Garysfriend Member

Darkrom, I think you're right. I didn't vape lastnight and feel fine this morning. (Even though I ate pizza yesterday). I need to find out what is going in this stuff as far as nutrients, because I think that's what is effecting me. When I said I know my sources and how they grow, I guess I meant I know where it comes from, and it's indoor hydro. That's about it....

I know the Jamaican stuff was outdoor, and probably organic because i got it from my driver who brought me to his farm and showed me his whole operation (pretty cool!)

darkrom and Glass004 like this.
  4. darkrom

darkrom Great Scott!

No doubt the indoor is better bud but there probably is something in it bugging you. Any chance you can find other good buds from a different source? Try to find a common denominator. The Jamaica bud was definitely weaker, and had less products added to it. There's a start. Perhaps it's time to start your own organic garden. If not keep shopping around until you find bud that doesn't irritate you.

Just curious. Does dabbing result in the same thing?

5. Garysfriend

Garysfriend Member

Thanks for the reply. Finding different sources is difficult in my location, but I'm working on it. Your absolutely right that the Jamaican stuff was weaker. I actually kind of preferred that. I've never tried dabbing, as it's not really available here and I'm not all that interested in it.

For the chs suffers, in your experience, if you smoke/vape just a little bit (<.1g) do you automatically get stomach pains the next morning?

6. grokit

grokit well-worn member

It's also about flushing whatever nutrients out before harvest, and curing afterwards. If the weed is not stored properly it gets too much cbn, which has always had horrible effects on me. With hydro it's much easier to flush the nutrients out of the plant, but it's possible with soil as well it just takes longer. Of course with hydro it's even more important to flush, because you're typically not using organic nutrients. Another important issue is if the flowers aren't cured properly, then the thca won't convert properly into thc.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
    OldOyler, syrupy, darkrom and 2 others like this.
  7. Garysfriend

Garysfriend Member

Interesting. What are these effects?

8. Glass004

Yes, just one or two tokes brings on symptoms. For me, it was as if my body became hypersensitive to smoking herb. Vaping causes no problems.

9. Garysfriend

Garysfriend Member

Gkass004, and was this stomach pain, nausea, vomiting or all 3? If it's pain can you describe exactly what you feel? Sorry, just want an accurate picture to compare my pain to.

10. Glass004

The only pain I have associated with CHS is right upper quadrant abdominal pain due to gallbladder dysfunction from not eating. It showed up on the day 3 or 4 and lasted for a couple of weeks sometimes.
    I start with a "backed up" feeling in my stomach like last night's food not passing. My bowels start to empty. Then nausea. Migraine sometimes wakes me up. After the first vomit, it goes full blown. Sometimes I could abort with sublingual Zofran and try going back to sleep before vomiting
    Lately with my body's increased sensitivity to smoking herb, the migraine with nausea are the pre attack symptoms.

11. steama

steama Well-Known Member

I just got diagnosed with cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome. Things have gotten out of control and I have ended up in the hospital once in the last three weeks including three major attacks. I am talking 12 hour bouts of uncontrolled vomiting, hot baths every 15 minutes, and of course anti-nausea suppositories that do not help a bit. I seriously thought I was going to die and I wanted to die. My voice has been completely ripped from the vomiting. I honestly have been fighting this for years but I finally ran into a solid brick wall with the severity of the attacks. I wanted to be in denial that it was marijuana but couldn't do it any longer. I have to face the truth.

The doctor has prescribe a 90 day cessation of cannabis to see if it changes things. She seemed pretty sure as to my diagnosis (me too), it's not like it was a few years ago --- they all know about it now. Lucky for me I have always been able to put down the herb with no problem whatsoever. My path is going to be different moving forward. It is clear I will have to change my relationship with herb.

Thanks for reading.

12. grokit

grokit well-worn member

That sucks! Keep us posted :(:\

OldOyler and RUDE BOY like this.
  13. steama

steama Well-Known Member

Thanks @grokit I already have a plan. :rockon:

First I need to have a 90 day break to clear my system of cannabinoids. Then I am going to adopt a micro-dosing regimen.

I pretty much have been using herb far too much for a very long time. I created a cannabinoid toxicity in my body. I have no doubt this can be controlled with the correct strategy that minimizes the amount used.

This rarely happens to people that use herb casually so I feel there is hope to get back to normal.

OldOyler, RUDE BOY, Squiby and 2 others like this.
  14. grokit

grokit well-worn member

Kinda like me and ice cream :mental:

RUDE BOY, Silat and steama like this.
  15. syrupy

syrupy Authorized Buyer

What a strange condition. One thing I don't understand from reading up on it is the warm baths. One article said it's a learned behavior, something compulsively picked up? Just wondering because that part jumped out for some reason.

RUDE BOY and steama like this.
  16. steama

steama Well-Known Member

Update regarding my CHS.

I have found if I do not do a behavior that triggers nausea I do not have a CHS reaction at all. For example shoving a double bacon cheeseburger down my throat Carl's Junior style. If I don't attack Panda express' beijing beef like I have only three minutes to live. All I am saying if I do not induce that feeling of overdoing it leading to nausea I will not have a CHS reaction. I have not had a single episode when I eat small portions at a slow, easy, pace like you should anyway. I hope this can help someone else out or maybe see if anyone else has experienced this with CHS?

Still taking it easy and will be working on a micro dosing regimen. I think this is going to work out just fine now that I have figured out how to avoid a serious CHS reaction. I have came to the conclusion micro-dosing may be the only truly responsible way to use a substance rather than abusing a substance.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
    CarolKing, OldOyler, RUDE BOY and 4 others like this.
  17. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

This is great news, Steama. Probably for a number of reasons. First, it would appear you have found a solution to your CHS and found a way to continue to use cannabis. Second, not shoving Carl Jr or Panda Express down your throat like you have two a-holes will probably extend your life! LOL

Cheers and congratulations on finding a way...a really healthy way...around the CHS.

CarolKing and syrupy like this.
  18. syrupy

syrupy Authorized Buyer

Are you still going through with the t-break @steama ..or is it straight ahead to micro-dosing?

CarolKing, OldOyler and RUDE BOY like this.
  19. OldOyler

OldOyler Fire it again. I can still find the ground.

Yeah careful my friend.

I thought I had CHS when I first started cannabis for pain, for about a year. Turns out the underlying condition - pancreatic cancer - was brought out because *cannabis will always attempt to return pancreas function to normal*.

Pancreas and gall bladder are of course interlocked. So my point is to keep pushing with your doctor if symptoms return, I was lucky to have had a very stubborn Primary Care doc at the time.

My point here is that a CHS diagnosis, even if just a first guess at the problem and ends up not being the case 100%, can still lead someone to another underlying problem. So anything the pancreas affects - diabetes, digestion, etc. could be getting shaken out *by* the cannabinoids.

My first thought after you posted about your Carl's, etc. was a diabetes-type problem or pancreatitis (which meat just kicks off like nobody's business) - both of which center in the pancreas and can be symptoms of a more serious problem.

Peace, good micro-dosing to you, and much healing!

CarolKing, Squiby, syrupy and 3 others like this.
  20. steama

steama Well-Known Member

I cannot thank you enough for this information as I already could be having what you have described. My blood was tested and they found very elevated levels of triglycerides (600+ because of meds). The worry here is this it could lead to pancreatitis (just as you have said).

How do I press my physician to dig deeper into the pancreatitis question? What you have posted got my attention.

Thanks again @OldOyler --- it's possible you could be saving my life. Holy shit.

EDIT: Just check this new info out with family members and they think it is most likely I have what you say it could be. Thanks again.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
    hotmeals, CarolKing and Squiby like this.
  21. OldOyler

OldOyler Fire it again. I can still find the ground.

Peace my friend!

Well, the question will really be "do you continue to have pancreatitis symptoms", specifically around eating.

Remember, something more serious (like cancer) is actually unusual - but pancreatitis is not. I mean, I am the absolute KING of starting with a Carl's burger. Ah, make it two patties. And some raw onions. Then tomatoes and lettuce and ketchup and mayo. Oh, and about 3 strips of salty bacon. Fries and a shake in case I am still hungry...

Then, I am SO high I attempt to eat said burger in under 7 minutes.

Anybody past the age of 25 or so can't handle that!!!

I have had to permanently cut out certain things, and I don't want to suggest anything in particular beyond what I had to cut out myself - anything tomatoes and onions specifically, and only lean beef (like steak or roast) occasionally, mostly chicken or no meat at all any more.

I also take an over-the-counter enzyme (where the cancer was removed at the tip of the pancreas is where a lot of those enzymes are secreted, and not doing it as much any more), again maybe Google it because I don't want to give you anything wrong or incomplete.

Believe me, if you have more than 3-6 months of pancreatitis type symptoms, your doctor (I am in the U.S. here, it is pretty much a worldwide thing though) will absolutely send you to be "scoped out", maybe some other internal tests.

They probably won't let those symptoms go much longer than that *if* they can't identify the source.

The key has been YOU here all along - you have been honest with yourself, honest with others, and have sought to take action. Keep that attitude, and everything will turn out okay even if it is serious. One pancreatitis-looking attack at a time, my friend!

In the style of @ataxian (whose wisdom is sublime, missing O2 his heart and will simply built skybridges over the affected synapses instead)...

OLDOYLER + FOOD JOY = MODERNIZED
    FOOD JOY + CALM INDULGENCE = HARMONIZED
    CANNABIS AS SERVANT = OLDOYLER'S MOUTH IN CONTROL
    CANNABIS AS MASTER = HUFF THAT BURGER + D'OH

:peace:

Peace and healing, and keep us up to speed on how you are doing!

grokit, steama, Ozyzj and 1 other person like this.
  22. ataxian

ataxian CALIFORNIA

Under the RADAR as one say's!

NO CLAIM + FINE WINE + TOP SHELF CANNABIS + FEMALE 109 POUNDS 5'9" (FRENCH) =

CIVILIZED

SOUTHERN CA = WAY TOO HOT = DIP NOW

BURGER AFTER GAME CHANGER HYBRID in a clean piece = NORMALIZED

THANK GOODNESS I STILL HAVE A BRAIN! (so I think)?
    CANNABIS is the only thing that works? (in my case)!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
    SamuraiSam, grokit, DDave and 3 others like this.
  23. Pyrocity420

Pyrocity420 New Member

Hey, I get abdominal pain after i smoke and worsens when i eat, I have not thrown up but notice that i get diarrhea too. would vaping help at lower temps? do i have CHS? I would hate to stop using cannabis for ever!

24. grokit

grokit well-worn member

Try taking a break from smoking, see if it helps, then introduce vaping and see if it hurts. You'll be rewarded with a lower tolerance in general, and will be able to appreciate the difference between high and stoned.

I did the above, and now I even smoke occasionally to be polite among combustors. But I wouldn't recommend smoking at all for the first year or two, until you've acclimated yourself to vaping.

:spliff:

Quetzalcoatl and DDave like this.
  25. newVaper420

newVaper420 Vapor Enthusiast

Sadly, I'm not a doctor so I can't really give you a definitive diagnosis. I was on a bender with some not so quality wax during that time which probably wasn't purged correctly. That's probably what made me sick, along with my Crohn's disease. If you have no underlying medical reason to use marijuana, then you should give yourself a few days break as suggested above. Once you find yourself feeling better, start to slowly reintroduce and see if you feel worse.

And listen, if marijuana is making you sick, then you shouldn't feel bad about stopping. Another suggestion is maybe you need a different form, edibles, oil, etc.

And just to clarify, my abdominal pain gets incredibly better after I vape. When I eat, I'm in pain then I vape again.

Quetzalcoatl and OldOyler like this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors