Cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome

Monsoon

CubanGrower's wife just got diagnosed with it, there was a good discussion on his IG that's worth checking out here. Lots of interesting theories on causes but nothing definitive yet.

Monsoon,

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
Thankfully I did not have CHS. I had something else going on because I'm back to smoking with no vomitting issues. I did use a months worth of dirty BHO so I'm sure that played a roll into it to. Apparently I had a really bad case of viral gastroenteritis. It took 11 days.

I do need to go to a doctor and figure out the root cause of my problem so that I don't have to medicate so much.

newVaper420,

Detonator

ok, I had another bout of CHS today.... my last one was over two months ago Jan 20 or so...

My usage since Jan has been the same ,,, all day , all the time... probably too much

I been dabbing a lot lately, the past cpl weeks..

I started researching CHS a litle on FB found this article - http://www.unitedpatientsgroup.com/...g-cannabinoid-hyperemesis-syndrome-explained/

In the comments from that article a woman talks about how her husband died from what they now think was CHS.... She remembers all the hot showers.... oh my

Seems like more people are actually talking about it now....

Now what I want... I don't want to completely quit cannabis, but I think maybe I need to cut back on my usage... or better yet Someone Please figure out that I need a multi vitamin or some others bs,,,, because I just dont want to cut down on nothin.....

It all fucking pisses me off... I was ready to go out today at 1:30 ... all of a sudden I had sever stomach ache, ended up in hot shower for 3-4 hours, finally took xanax to relax and sleep....... I feel better now, but not 100% the entire day got away from me and it 2 am, damn.

Glass004

Consumer Advocate
Let me emphatically repeat. Do not smoke any herb product. High temps with combustion form toxic compounds. If you vape with high temps then you are probably combusting the herb.
If you have CHS then symptoms should ease within a week of not smoking.
Chlorine in hot showers can destroy your lungs, get a chlorine filter, avoid the hot chlorine vapors, ventilate.
SHOWERS If you stop combusting you will not need showers. Abnormalities of your body's heat regulation occur with CHS and hot showers. Post shower chills, excessive sweating, and dehydration are common. If you are in a shower, avoid chlorine vapors, suck on ice to prevent dehydration (your body is sweating in the shower trying to cool off). The ice helps keep the hypothalamus cooler, post shower chills less intense. The relief a shower gives from nausea makes it a good time to take appropriate meds like Ondansetron or Acid blockers. I find that tactle stimulation such as deep massage reduces nausea, relaxes anxiety and helps me get to sleep.I lay on the floor and my wife sits and prods my back with her feet. I wish I could have afforded a real massage, I'd bet that would be like heaven.
Healing: Deep regenerative sleep is best. Early dosing of anti emetics and acid reducing meds will prevent prolonged illness. Transcendental Meditation or similar technique helps ne heal.
My body has gotten even more sensitive to the toxic cannbinoids produced with combustion. I know combustion gives a different high, or maybe vaping uses too much pot when your stash is almost gone. Like you I had hoped I could get away with just a few hits off the pipe and not get sick, NOT! If you have CHS, combustion is no longer an option. It can only get worse, and will harm your health.
Again, I have so much compassion for those who suffer so much from this syndrome. I hope they can make positive changes in their lifestyle to become healthy again. I pray for your health.

Glass004,
Reactions: grokit

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
The point of high temperature vaporization is that it's not combustion. On top of that, combustion causing "toxic cannabinoids" is a new one to me. have any sources on that?

Quetzalcoatl,

Detonator

I do vape at high temps but I'm no combusting... Nothing is burnt, no ash..

Lately I been using a lot more shatter and wax so I think my THC level have to be up..

Millions of people take hot showers everyday in chlorinated water so I'm not worried about that..

If stopping cannabis use is the only way to get over this,,,,,,, then I'm fucking pissed... I don't think I can.

Lately I've been dabbing a lot so my total THC consumption is high, cutting down seems like something I can do now.... But as I type my nail is heating up for a quick dab before I go back to work.

Detonator,

Glass004

Consumer Advocate
The point of high temperature vaporization is that it's not combustion. On top of that, combustion causing "toxic cannabinoids" is a new one to me. have any sources on that?
Just as with nicotine, combustion changes chemical compounds. When you burn grass, the chemistry of cannabinoids is changed. I have no references, I am a health scientist and the relationship between smoking and vaporizaton became apparent long ago to me. Higher temperatures, approaching combustion for grass, will change the cannabinoid's chemistry. Your hypothalamus is involved with conditions of nausea and GI motility. It is loaded with receptors for cannbinoids. Paradoxical reactions do occur with the human body to drugs. Normally the grass helps with nausea and vomiting. Cannabinoid receptors in the hypothalamus can be hypersensitized to cannabinoids. By smoking grass, you alter its chemistry, I am sure I have increased sensitivity to these compounds, but I exihbit no sensitivity to vaporized cannabinoid compounds or oral cannabinoid compounds.

Many vaporizors do get hot enough to combust, many people often vaporize with temperatures too high. Temperature differences in the type of cannabinoid extracted are well documented. Higher temps extract different cannabinoids, and have potential to change these chemical compounds.

Most"shower" people that stop, or switch to low temp vaporization would agree with me from what I have read here. Most know not to take another toke. I have found my body to be too sensitive to even consider taking single combustion hits, recognizing the prodrome symptoms that show up quickly.

Just saying, no references, a lot of experience, and a trained scientific mind calling it as I see it. I know the suffering involved, and what it takes to stop it. I treated suffering for years on the job.

Glass004,

Glass004

Consumer Advocate
I do vape at high temps but I'm no combusting... Nothing is burnt, no ash..

Lately I been using a lot more shatter and wax so I think my THC level have to be up..

Millions of people take hot showers everyday in chlorinated water so I'm not worried about that..

If stopping cannabis use is the only way to get over this,,,,,,, then I'm fucking pissed... I don't think I can.

Lately I've been dabbing a lot so my total THC consumption is high, cutting down seems like something I can do now.... But as I type my nail is heating up for a quick dab before I go back to work.
Turn down your temps, you are getting compounds your body doesn't like. I have a very high consumption rate via vaporizer, but never above 450F.
I don't have shatter or wax available, but the fact you get sick again confirms in my mind that the higher temps lead to changes in the cannabinoid, no matter the source, weed, hash, wax or shatter.
Even after no longer having to use the shower, I still use a filter, which are very effective. Yeah, I think as a general health thing, people should avoid long hot chlorinated showers.

Glass004,

CBDFarm

QUIT.
I fucking hate CHS 2 fucking years they kept saying i have CHS... Turns out I have SMA(superior mesenteric Artery syndrome) fuck CHS, fuck stupid doctors(oxymoron lol) even though they can be stupid as shit. End rant lol.

Glass004

Consumer Advocate
I fucking hate CHS 2 fucking years they kept saying i have CHS... Turns out I have SMA(superior mesenteric Artery syndrome) fuck CHS, fuck stupid doctors(oxymoron lol) even though they can be stupid as shit. End rant lol.
How terrible that you were discriminated against for smoking grass. There are so many brilliant doctors that are socially inept. Both of us have suffered because of their mistakes, I understand your anger. I am glad you don't have CHS, enjoy the herb. I wish you better health

Glass004,
Reactions: darkrom

CBDFarm

QUIT.
How terrible that you were discriminated against for smoking grass. There are so many brilliant doctors that are socially inept. Both of us have suffered because of their mistakes, I understand your anger. I am glad you don't have CHS, enjoy the herb. I wish you better health

Thats the thing, I don't smoke weed, only wax! It's more pure, less plant matter,etc(assuming it purged properly) and they still kept saying it was it. Then they found out my GERD got worse, turned to crohns, now SMA after they stuck cameras everywhere and saw blood everywhere inside my intestines. Really angered me... 2 fucking years.... Granted they cant do much for what I have, but at least I fucking know.

Garysfriend

Hey guys, first post here. I decided to join this forum after lurking for a while because I too have been having stomach issues but I don't know if it's due to cannabis or a condition that is not caused by but made worse by cannabis.

I've been partaking for about 12 years, vaping 90% of the time for the past 6. Almost daily but averaging less than .1g. I'd estimate I go through 3/4oz a year. So not very heavy use. Only flower. Mostly in the evenings.

My symptoms are general stomach discomfort located mostly on the upper left side just next to my sternum. For example I woke up with gnawing cramping sensation last night around 3am. I took some pepto and ginger and was able to fall asleep about an hour later. Still don't feel great this morning. I'd say naseua accompanies this pain 50% of the time.

This has been going on and off for about 6 months. I've never vomited because I stop using and take a break when the pain gets bad. I'm trying to search for correlations but that has been difficult.

I know my sources and how they grow. When I stop for a while things do improve but not completely. If I start using daily again it's almost guaranteed that I'll have issues later that night or next morning.

One strange thing: I just got back from a week in Jamaica. Smoked 4-5 joints a day and had no issues...

Those who suffer from chs, can you describe your pain? Do you have pain and nausea for days before vomiting?

My diet is good and I saw a naturopath who put me on an elimination diet, but I've seen little improvement. I'm rather healthy besides this. The most frustrating thing is not knowing what this is. I know I should go to a regular doc, but I know his plan will be acid reducers/ppi, and then scoping or other expensive tests I don't have money for (my high deductible insurance sucks).

I know this is a forum and not a bunch of doctors, but any thoughts?

Thanks.

Garysfriend,

grokit

well-worn member
My symptoms are general stomach discomfort located mostly on the upper left side just next to my sternum.
Upper left is your spleen/stomach according to this drawing, so try and figure out if you have stomach issues or if your spleen is functioning correctly. Unless you have it backwards, then try liver support.

Location-of-the-Liver.jpg

grokit,

Garysfriend

Grokit that is interesting... I'm convinced (unless chs produces gurgling, gas and bloating) that I also have some type of bacterial overgrowth or "sibo" going on... It seems this could cause issues with the spleen since this is part of the lymphatic system...

I should probably get to a regular doc.

Anyone else who's reading this, do you think I possibly have chs? Based on my symptoms (mostly pain and nasusea, no vomiting) and light use (although daily) and almost always vaping?

Last edited:
Garysfriend,

Sanitas

Grokit that is interesting... I'm convinced (unless chs produces gurgling, gas and bloating) that I also have some type of bacterial overgrowth or "sibo" going on... It seems this could cause issues with the spleen since this is part of the lymphatic system...

I should probably get to a regular doc.

Anyone else who's reading this, do you think I possibly have chs? Based on my symptoms (mostly pain and nasusea, no vomiting) and light use (although daily) and almost always vaping?

Not a doctor by any stretch, but high dose probiotics work well for me in combating nausea, cramps etc.

You can get VSL-3 at Costco.

Sanitas,

Glass004

Consumer Advocate
I would say that unless you have the shower issues, you do not have CHS. This sounds like an irritated esophagus. When lying down at night, the stomach acid regurgitates out of the stomach and burns the esophagus. Late night eating caused by the munchies, going to bed with full stomach, eating fried foods late, etc. could cause this. Try elevating the head of your bed by 6 inches, to help reduce regurgitation. H2 blockers or PPIs regularly until stomach healed are standard stuff for esophagitis. in the USA you can get these over the counter without a physician. Take them regularly for 10 days. Stop eating late night.
Nausea and stomach issues cause a lot of suffering. I am sorry for you and hope you can heal.

Glass004,

Garysfriend

Glass004, thanks for the kind comments and concern. However I've basically been eating super clean for the past few months and am still having issues. Lean meats and veggies.. Occasionally I'll have a beer or some pizza once every few weeks, and I try to avoid late night munchies.

Sorry, I don't mean to take this thread off on a tangent, but I'm glad everyone seems to think its not chs. I love cannabis. I'm very sorry for those of you who do suffer. Based on my Jamaican experience, (although I guess this doesn't apply to me) I wonder if sunlight soil grown vs indoor fake light and hydro grown makes a difference? I just had so few problems there and seem to have issues every time in partake in the u.s. Vaping the indoor grown.

Last edited:
Garysfriend,
Reactions: Glass004

Glass004

Consumer Advocate
Glass004, thanks for the kind comments and concern. However I've basically been eating super clean for the past few months and am still having issues. Lean meats and veggies.. Occasionally I'll have a beer or some pizza once every few weeks, and I try to avoid late night munchies.

Sorry, I don't mean to take this thread off on a tangent, but I'm glad everyone seems to think its not chs. I love cannabis. I'm very sorry for those of you who do suffer. Based on my Jamaican experience, (although I guess this doesn't apply to me) I wonder if sunlight soil grown vs indoor fake light and hydro grown makes a difference? I just had so few problems there and seem to have issues every time in partake in the u.s. Vaping the indoor grown.
We eat the same diet LOL
Esophagitus can occur for other reasons beside diet selection. Some have a physical defect allowing acid reflux. Elevation of the bed's head is what we did before three were medications. A short course of a PPI could be diagnostic.
I have had CHS for decades using many different types of herb. I don't think I could say the type of weed smoked mattered, only that I smoked it.

Glass004,

darkrom

Great Scott!
I know a LOT of people who think they have organic cannabis when in reality the "nutrients" they use are far from it.

It's highly unlikely as a tourist in Jamaica you had some indoor hydro etc. It was probably outdoor grown organic.

You might know your excellent grower. But do you know every single nutrient and soil material? Just something to consider.

darkrom,
Reactions: syrupy

Garysfriend

Darkrom, I think you're right. I didn't vape lastnight and feel fine this morning. (Even though I ate pizza yesterday). I need to find out what is going in this stuff as far as nutrients, because I think that's what is effecting me. When I said I know my sources and how they grow, I guess I meant I know where it comes from, and it's indoor hydro. That's about it....

I know the Jamaican stuff was outdoor, and probably organic because i got it from my driver who brought me to his farm and showed me his whole operation (pretty cool!)

darkrom

Great Scott!
Darkrom, I think you're right. I didn't vape lastnight and feel fine this morning. (Even though I ate pizza yesterday). I need to find out what is going in this stuff as far as nutrients, because I think that's what is effecting me. When I said I know my sources and how they grow, I guess I meant I know where it comes from, and it's indoor hydro. That's about it....

I know the Jamaican stuff was outdoor, and probably organic because i got it from my driver who brought me to his farm and showed me his whole operation (pretty cool!)

No doubt the indoor is better bud but there probably is something in it bugging you. Any chance you can find other good buds from a different source? Try to find a common denominator. The Jamaica bud was definitely weaker, and had less products added to it. There's a start. Perhaps it's time to start your own organic garden. If not keep shopping around until you find bud that doesn't irritate you.

Just curious. Does dabbing result in the same thing?

darkrom,

Garysfriend

Thanks for the reply. Finding different sources is difficult in my location, but I'm working on it. Your absolutely right that the Jamaican stuff was weaker. I actually kind of preferred that. I've never tried dabbing, as it's not really available here and I'm not all that interested in it.

For the chs suffers, in your experience, if you smoke/vape just a little bit (<.1g) do you automatically get stomach pains the next morning?

Garysfriend,
Top Bottom