Butane Torches

MileHighLife

Blower of glass, grower of grass
I have the blazer gt 8000, blazer es 1000 and the ugly, orange harbor freight torch.

http://www.harborfreight.com/micro-torch-42099.html

I went through a few different cheap chef/soldering torches from amazon and ebay and the piezos all ended up breaking fairly quickly. When the cheap torches would break I would use this harbor freight torch. I've had it for about 5 years for snowboard maintenance .... it's gaudy and it feels cheap in my hands but it has been put through hell and the piezo still works flawlessly. Not sure if this is an isolated incident I've thought about getting another to see if they are really as indestructible as this first one seems.

After a few cheap torches i read a bunch of reviews and ended up going with the blazer es 1000 because of the easy 1 hand operation. First thing I did was break off the safety which made it really easy to use. I like the 1 button on off function of this torch but wish the flame was a little bigger it'll get the job done but my domeless nails take a good 20 to 25 seconds to heat up. The piezo on this torch is really good but it doesn't light on the first try about 20% of the time after the torch has fully cooled down ... no big deal and it's been like this since day 1.

The longer heat up times with the es 1000 led me to the blazer big shot 8000. This thing is a beast ... giant tank and huge flame. I wish it was 1 button operation like the es 1000 then this would be the perfect torch IMO. This thing heats up my domeless nails in 5 seconds or less. I don't think I've ever had a missed fire with the piezo on this torch.

Seren

Away with the fairies
Ok, so I was searching online earlier for a new jet lighter - and look what I found:

45214_327793_FJL-45214.jpg

.... a tad more risqué that I had been looking for I must admit, but a great table conversation piece all the same don't you think!? :D

mlo4sho

.... a tad more risqué that I had been looking for I must admit, but a great table conversation piece
:lol:

I have been using my $15 eBay torch for the past week or so with great success. I needed something cheap that would get the job done until I'm ready to splurge on a $60 or $70 torch and it has answered the call. For $15 shipped I haven't seen too much out there that can beat this one. :peace:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350913248800?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

mlo4sho,
Reactions: Seren

JoeKickass

My suggestion is not to cheap out on these torches, you get what you pay for. Bed bath and beyond seem to be good torches for the money, but i hear you will be replacing them every 6-8months so that could get pricey. Vectors have a 5 year warranty i believe.
+1 for the pricey but long-warrantied Vector Nitro
ZwEzMI1.jpg

This morning I decided to splurge and see if I could make dabbing work for me, so I went to Big Al's in Berkeley and left with a domeless nail and torch

Silver420Surfer

Downward spiral
Last edited:

mmenzie

My friends call me "Menz"
Check this out. 30 dollars and its the same as the 50-60 dollar vector torch. HUGE flame, heats TI things up incredibly quick. Got one from Bed Bath and Beyond locally for 30 dollars, same price as amazon. I highly recommend this torch.

41LTe1jdp5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/BonJour-Brule...2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1334445345&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/BonJour-Brule...1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1334445345&sr=1-1

(this is the same one, new version with fuel gauge)

thats the one i use... same EXACT thing as the expensive Vector torch but half the price!!!

clouded vision

I agree, the $30 BBB torch is a winner. Also BBB will replace just about anything if it breaks, no need to buy one then return the broken one. Seriously just walk in with the broken one, no rreceipt and they will replace or even refund you.

The only thing I don't like about that torch is the hands-free switch could be a little easier to engage. On mine, I have to use 2 fingers, put equal pressure on each side and slide it back instead of just using one finger to push it back (I'm making it seem harder than it is,I got used to it very quickly)

GR

+1 for the pricey but long-warrantied Vector Nitro
ZwEzMI1.jpg
Another vote. 2 years on my Vector and I won't admit to how many oz of oil but more then 5. This is also my kitchen torch and has made many of a creme brûlée in its time. If it fails I will buy a replacement and send this one in under lifetime warranty, $100 later I will be dabbing non stop for a long time, lol.

GR,

PPN

Volute of Vapor
I' have 2 cheap torchs but they have both the same issue:
the clicker don't work anymore and when I want to light it with a bic I spent lot of butane before to be light.

I'm looking for a cheap (20usd) torch that I can use with my flame powered vapes and my nails, so not too big and not too little....

I saw good torch in this thread but it seems really big ....

PPN,

SpruceGruve

Bag of sand in hand,Eyeing up the gold statue
I'm pretty happy with my blazer bigshot gt8000
Heats fast and efficiently,large tank so you don't need to refill to often and it's pretty sturdily built.

I have dropped it many many times on concrete and only once did I break the knob for the butane flow.
I shipped it in for service and they quickly sent me my torch back like new(at my cost of course)

MileHighLife

glad to see I'm not the only one ... these things are beast and it hasn't missed a piezo 1 time that I can remeber out of the year I've owned it :clap:

King

Accessory Maker
This torch was mentioned on the first page as reliable and I gotta say, I'm super happy with my "Extra Large" Honest Torch.
mHqs65H.jpg

I got it on DX for $11.99 but its up to $13.77 now. Its not an ultra fast lighter, but its powerful and sturdy as heck. A lever on the top can change it to a regular non-torch lighter, its pretty versatile as far as lighters go.

MileHighLife

This torch was mentioned on the first page as reliable and I gotta say, I'm super happy with my "Extra Large" Honest Torch.
mHqs65H.jpg

I got it on DX for $11.99 but its up to $13.77 now. Its not an ultra fast lighter, but its powerful and sturdy as heck. A lever on the top can change it to a regular non-torch lighter, its pretty versatile as far as lighters go.

Looks identical to my blazer es1000 @ a quarter of the price.

MileHighLife,
Reactions: King

King

Accessory Maker
Looks identical to my blazer es1000 @ a quarter of the price.

I've never seen the blazer line, thats interesting. Do you know how their different models differ? Spitfire, ES1000, and Stingray?

King,

MileHighLife

I've never seen the blazer line, thats interesting. Do you know how their different models differ? Spitfire, ES1000, and Stingray?

Not sure ... I've got the es1000 and the big shot gt8000 but haven't used the other 2 you mentioned. The big shot is a beast

MileHighLife,
Reactions: King

SD_haze

mHqs65H.jpg

My $12 honest torch is over a year old now...and it works better than when I freaking got it, hahaha

It's amazing how big of a flame you get out of such a tiny torch (just compared to the big shot!)

Last edited:

MileHighLife

If I ever need a new torch I'll be picking up an honest for sure. Honest has a really good reputation in the Lotus thread also.
My $12 honest torch is over a year old now...and it works better than when I freaking got it hahaha

It's amazing how big of a flame you get out of such a tiny torch (just compared to the big shot!)
The flame on the honest is comparable to the big shot? :rockon:

MileHighLife,

SD_haze

If I ever need a new torch I'll be picking up an honest for sure. Honest has a really good reputation in the Lotus thread also.

The flame on the honest is comparable to the big shot? :rockon:
Not quite comparable for heating up BIG pieces of metal like heavy domeless 18mm nails.

It does however have a bigger flame than my microtorch which costs 2x as much.
With my smaller 14mm nail, it heats it up blazingly fast.

wDsnXRy.jpg

The honest isn't quite at maximim flame size. It's not full on butane.
Note: The small size + big flame means it does tend to need refilling more often than my other torch.
Not a big deal for me, I enjoy the process of filling a torch up with butane~

SD_haze,
Top Bottom