**Ball vape comparison megathread** Compare your balls.

Which ball vape do you prefer?

• Flowerpot B0

Votes: 47 18.9%
  • Flowerpot B1

Votes: 70 28.1%
  • Flowerpot B2

Votes: 43 17.3%
  • Old Head freight train

Votes: 25 10.0%
  • Pinky

Votes: 19 7.6%
  • Qaroma Ceroma \ Quartz

Votes: 25 10.0%
  • Qaroma Taroma 2 \ XL

Votes: 29 11.6%
  • DC ELEV8R with Rubies.

Votes: 24 9.6%
  • Cloud connoisseur Halo \ Atlas

Votes: 24 9.6%
  • DDave Extraction Contraption

Votes: 3 1.2%

• Total voters

2pumpchump

I don't think the Tiodw Pro mini would fit very well into a 25mm axial, my omega doesn't fit nicely into the 25mm axial. If you want a 3d printed housing, dm me I'd be happy to print one for you.

here is an example of one I printed.
Is the Omega a 25mm vape??????
Is because I use a standard 25mm coil for my tidow pro ??

mixchu69

Not going to purchase but a full ball vape set (head, sic balls, and bowl in titanium) for less than $40. Need coil and controller

Wondering if we are paying too much

coolbreeze

Not going to purchase but a full ball vape set (head, sic balls, and bowl in titanium) for less than $40. Need coil and controller

Wondering if we are paying too much
Prolly, but price is what we pay. Value is what we get.

It's also the half-price sale, fwiw. But there's Crossing's Thermal Twist too which is $30 for the head, no fill necessary, 20mm coil needed. I haven't tried it but it seems less efficient but apparently great flavor. And similarly, Camouflet's Injector is likewise ball-less but not quite as inexpensive at $101 (also a sale). I assume that the costs reflect the cost to manufacture which has variables including access to capitol, development costs, etc.

Fwiw I will try the Camouflet first because I have enjoyed their previous work and find it pretty innovative and useful. It's off the trend of lower pricing but it fits an ecosystem I've invested in and really enjoy, and they're a mfr trying to build their market share from 0. Cost really measure things beyond purely the planned profit margin. Likewise other small mfrs skate the edge of survival by innovating at the fringes due to the costs they must demand to survive. The Phase3 ZX for instance is currently selling the head, bowl, and coil on sale far below the cost of the head and bowl together. Building brand recognition and trust means he needs to get these in peoples' hands no matter the cost in order to survive. I think most owners would agree that they have not overpaid for their Phase3 gear, even at full price. The Flower Kettle has recently announced dropping its premium pricing a bit due to lower mfring costs. It wouldn't have gotten this far without support, and it look like it will keep growing its fascinating ecosystem as far as its reach will let it.

I think there's room for these smaller mrfs if we give it to them, but I certainly don't blame people for buying only what is responsible for them. Those who can afford more have the opportunity to help make the vape world an innovative space by helping small companies survive to create the next amazing approach. Otoh, more established small companies like Highfive and CrossingTech will help everyone by creating a dry herb vape awareness in their space, which hopefully will help extend that awareness generally, bolstering other small mfrs in the process.

Upshot: hobbyists have some of this in their hands. We generally have a better view of what is out there and can support creativity that will eventually find its value in a healthy, innovative company and perhaps general adoption beyond. Some will be inexpensive, some not. But does the Flower Kettle deserve to live along side the Titanium Herb Nail? That's up to us.

Last edited:

Varden

My quick cheap set up for my cordless ball vape. I plan to make something heavier in the future, but as a stop gap on the cheap I'm very happy. It is surprisingly practical.

The parts are just some SS measuring cups (only need one but they came together), a glass ashtray and a couple of cable ties.

And this is the result:

The coil, the round part, does not touch the metal, it "floats" over it.

Cheesgr8r

My quick cheap set up for my cordless ball vape. I plan to make something heavier in the future, but as a stop gap on the cheap I'm very happy. It is surprisingly practical.

The parts are just some SS measuring cups (only need one but they came together), a glass ashtray and a couple of cable ties.

And this is the result:

that is a surprisingly elegant DiY design, well done! Now a cobracoil thats stable enough or a proper stand to suspend this contraption and its perfect. i like what you've done here!

coolbreeze

And this is the result:

Fwiw, I shared this to the Zeal and Omega thread where there's a growing collection of wireless stand builds suitable for most things.

Varden

that is a surprisingly elegant DiY design, well done! Now a cobracoil thats stable enough or a proper stand to suspend this contraption and its perfect. i like what you've done here!
I have an idea on what I want to do next but still giving it some though.

I want to put the SS measuring cup in clay to make the whole thing heavier. The only issue is that the cup is not heavy enough and sometimes it requires a bit of dexterity to remove the head from the coil. Clay is cheap, isolates heat, heavy and can look good, so it seems a good option. Plus I want to put some magnetic pieces on the bottom so the whole thing can be attached on top of the PID box.

Also, I want to put some protection in the head. Similar to the metallic protection that people are putting around the coil, but in the head, with an opening in the opposite side of the handle so it can go inside the coil. That way the head has some protection when moving it around for use.

But still open to suggestion, giving it last thoughts.

martinstraka8282

I've been looking at this kit that was posted here. For someone completely ignorant to and overwhelmed by ball vapes, can anyone point out anything like pro's/con's to this model or things I should be aware of? Or, a comparable one? I do like that price and they ship to Canada.

My priorities are that it's something that's available now, not a pre-order. A fairly all in one kit. Simple in operation, at least in relation to the competition I could buy instead. And most importantly, hits hard.

coolbreeze

I've been looking at this kit that was posted here. For someone completely ignorant to and overwhelmed by ball vapes, can anyone point out anything like pro's/con's to this model or things I should be aware of? Or, a comparable one? I do like that price and they ship to Canada.

My priorities are that it's something that's available now, not a pre-order. A fairly all in one kit. Simple in operation, at least in relation to the competition I could buy instead. And most importantly, hits hard.

I have not seen a review of these but there's nothing apparent to suggest it wouldn't kick ass. It's not clear to me whether or not the diffuser is standard 22mm sized, so I'd ask. That will impact whether or not you can use other bowls, ie, not be locked into a proprietary system. If you get it I hope you'll share your thoughts; be interesting to know more about it.

EDIT: Cannabis Hardware lists their wiring pattern as non-compliant with the common US pattern gear like theirs.

Last edited:

martinstraka8282

I have not seen a review of these but there's nothing apparent to suggest it wouldn't kick ass. It's not clear to me whether or not the diffuser is standard 22mm sized, so I'd ask. That will impact whether or not you can use other bowls, ie, not be locked into a proprietary system. If you get it I hope you'll share your thoughts; be interesting to know more about it.
Ah, excellent point on the potential of being locked in. I'll ask them and see what they say. For the price, it seems like a good value, but there's so many options available.

coolbreeze

Ah, excellent point on the potential of being locked in. I'll ask them and see what they say. For the price, it seems like a good value, but there's so many options available.
There really are. And I'm still amazed when I see the prices..

Oh! There may be further compatability issues: Cannabis Hardware has Highfive PIDs listed as non-compliant with their gear, which means they are not using the standard US wiring pattern, which means that other US coils will not work with that PID, and other PIDs will not work with that coil (unless they happen to share the wiring layout).

canj00digit?

All my days in a daze...
I love the Taroma 360 it was a massive upgrade compared to the Freight Train Pro imo

I am also really digging my Staroma 360 w/ SS bowl (I prefer SS over Ti).
I've replaced the small handle on the bowl with a bit larger wooden one because I use this vape Sublimator style (as I call it).... leaving the head on the bowl so it reaches thermal equilibrium and there is no heat soak needed.

I am loving it like this and sitting at 380F which is incredible for me because I am a a dark ABV kinda guy which usually takes high(er) temps.

Enjoying it very much.

martinstraka8282

There really are. And I'm still amazed when I see the prices..

Oh! There may be further compatability issues: Cannabis Hardware has Highfive PIDs listed as non-compliant with their gear, which means they are not using the standard US wiring pattern, which means that other US coils will not work with that PID, and other PIDs will not work with that coil (unless they happen to share the wiring layout).
Well dats no good. It is like 20% of the cost of a flowerpot, but probably worth looking in to other options that are more universally compatible. Especially since from the sound of it, a new coil is needed periodically.

martinstraka8282,
Reactions: LesPlenty

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Well dats no good. It is like 20% of the cost of a flowerpot, but probably worth looking in to other options that are more universally compatible. Especially since from the sound of it, a new coil is needed periodically.
High Five does sell an adapter for standard D-Nail/Auber coils:

martinstraka8282

High Five does sell an adapter for standard D-Nail/Auber coils:
Thanks! And it's half price too!

Inching closer, just waiting for confirmation on the diffuser size and compatibility.

coolbreeze

None of the ball vapes I own are actually on the poll.
Same, almost. Poll's defunct but there's lots of good info here.
I keep returning to my SSV ball upgrade and for me, it's kicked my flowerpot B1 into the drawer. I think it deserves my vote. :rockon:
Be great to hear your thoughts. People with little kids, etc, might find these safer than other setups.

Marcus

Be great to hear your thoughts. People with little kids, etc, might find these safer than other setups.

In my mind the SSV is loads easier on the anxiety if you think you've not turned it off when you wake up at 3am lying in bed worrying if you turned it off. :lol:

I own a sheepdog with a big waggy tail so the surfer is also loads safer around him than the flowerpot.

But for me, I think the SSV is just more adaptable. I can slow draw and get a lovely flavour for a couple of hits or I can hard draw and get bong like rips.

I think the balls give the warmth for slow rips , then when you pull hard, the heat from the heater gets pulled in. I dunno, it just seems like some Harry Potter stuff.

I've tried really hard not to give out any euphemisms in that description but I;ve probably failed cause it's all balls talk and pulling too hard and getting soft hits etc etc. :brow::lol:

coolbreeze

In my mind the SSV is loads easier on the anxiety if you think you've not turned it off when you wake up at 3am lying in bed worrying if you turned it off. :lol:

I own a sheepdog with a big waggy tail so the surfer is also loads safer around him than the flowerpot.

But for me, I think the SSV is just more adaptable. I can slow draw and get a lovely flavour for a couple of hits or I can hard draw and get bong like rips.

I think the balls give the warmth for slow rips , then when you pull hard, the heat from the heater gets pulled in. I dunno, it just seems like some Harry Potter stuff.

I've tried really hard not to give out any euphemisms in that description but I;ve probably failed cause it's all balls talk and pulling too hard and getting soft hits etc etc. :brow::lol:
are you using a range of temperatures or just setting and forgetting?

coolbreeze,
Reactions: Marcus

Marcus

are you using a range of temperatures or just setting and forgetting?
Set and forget.

I'm on 240V power here, so I just turn the knob onto the lowest setting and it's ready in a couple of minutes. That gets left at that setting all night then... until I forget to turn it off at bedtime again.

I do wonder if there's a different heater for 240v vs 120v units, but I doubt there is. My LSV is too hot to use with the stock wand at the lowest temp, but though the water bowl they sell it's perfect... Now I wonder if there's going to be a ball heater cover for that thing???

Marcus,
Reactions: mixchu69
Top Bottom