Ascent Vaporizer by DaVinci

nigel

And shepherds we shall be,for Accuracy & Discovery
wait.. wat??
{EDIT: did you apply that yourself?}

{EDIT EDIT: NIce temp and nice treatment of a Stealth. HINT: I haven't used the cap that @Dreamerr suggested, but allow me to suggest you want that lower.}

nigel

And shepherds we shall be,for Accuracy & Discovery
I thought everyone's looks like that.:brow:

When you very first showed up on this forum, you know, back then... when you first rode in here? That horse? Yeah, screw the both of you.

SRSLY, man: That is the vape a lot of us wanted. Good call. I know DV mentioned it early on, but your followed through. Oh, good call here... and that whole "horse thing". Win for you on both. :rofl:

Last edited:

rsqemt911

Just kickin back with my ascent. I really do love this thing!
oeiQ9zY.jpg

Ever thought about making a patten and selling them on eBay (or here)?

I bought a couple skins off eBay for my Pax that were awesome for about $9. One camo, lone all red, and one green and black sparkles.

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd

JoDa Glassworks
Glass Blower
Ever thought about making a patten and selling them on eBay (or here)?

I bought a couple skins off eBay for my Pax that were awesome for about $9. One camo, lone all red, and one green and black sparkles.
My brother sold his vinyl plotter about 2 months ago. If he still had it, it'd be easy to do.

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd,

Smknbud

Very nice with the carbon fiber skin. Now these would be a nice accessory.....skins.

Too bad QC issues put a damper on the release of this. And I know I'm personally harping on the OLED screen thing, but everyone that looks this over turns and say's 'what's wrong with the screen'. I remember DaVinci commenting about being all about perfection.....that not until then would they release/sell it. They should have stuck to that motto a little closer.

When they iron out the issues, they have a sure winner.

This is my go to portable right now. The form factor is perfect.

Elmafuf0

China, but there are many things that are made in China that are excellent. Things that are not manufactured in-house can still be great product but it takes additional QC efforts to make that happen.

What's kind of an interesting question though is, does the savings of manufacturing off-shore still make sense when you factor in the additional QC efforts that need to take place to make the product viable?

Also if you're getting a lot of returns and have to ship out new units at what point does it make sense to not offshore production.

I was hoping not to have to exchange mine as it had minor issues at first (cloudy screen, funky smell that's going away - I think it's a piece of silicone under the bowl (The first DV's mouthpiece had a really smelly end piece), a less than perfect seal in the uptube and between glass screen and bowl).
But now it's getting really buggy. Last night, turned it on, wouldn't begin heating. Either on the auto cycle mode or just with one temp. Turned it off and on a couple times. Nada. The screen is lit just not heating up.
Finally opened it up and only then did it start heating up. This morning same thing and worse. Will only start heating up when it's open and at one point it showed the temp @ 430 when it was likely under 200. Finally go to charge it and now guess what? It will only show that its charging when it's open. I can't charge it closed. Hopefully I can get a session or two out of it before I figure out how to do an exchange.

Last edited:

trezhunter

Had to go to work. Still hasn't hit the 10 hour charge mark but it looked full when I left the house.

Called GV and told them about the missing WT adapter. Girl asked which one I wanted and thought that was the end of that.

Woke up to a missed call and VM from somebody there asking me to call back and "explain" the issue.

["You didnt include the WT Adapter"]

This was 3 hours after I called and an hour before they closed. and I didn't get the message till 10 pm. And the message ended with we are closed till tues due to the holiday so I won't be talking to them till then. Plenty of time to pick this thing apart and decided if its staying or going.

I got the same treatment from GV, basically.. I actually called them to followup on my RMA since I hadn't heard anything, they told me the person I talked to wasn't in yet and that I had emailed her the pics afterhours. Then I get a voicemail saying I have 1-2 hours to call her before she's gone for the day... ok... I called her and she tries to run me through the entire process and schpiel all over again with the burnoff, saying it can take up to an hour.. Obviously she didn't even read my email explaining the 4+ hours of burnoffs, nor do they apparently track in their system that I explained that 3 other times.

Triple-whack.. If your keen, just send the pics to customer service and request an RMA and skipp the pointless, untracked, troubleshooting calls with the other techs who aren't going to start jack-squat for you except golden advice like "it's usually ok to inhale that.."

On another note.. after 5+ hours of burnoffs it's starting to smell less like soldered plastic and more like hot glue.. still some offgas billows occasionally tho, I'm still sending this back and waiting till "the new batch comes in next month.."-According to GV

rsqemt911

I got the same treatment from GV, basically.. I actually called them to followup on my RMA since I hadn't heard anything, they told me the person I talked to wasn't in yet and that I had emailed her the pics afterhours. Then I get a voicemail saying I have 1-2 hours to call her before she's gone for the day... ok... I called her and she tries to run me through the entire process and schpiel all over again with the burnoff, saying it can take up to an hour.. Obviously she didn't even read my email explaining the 4+ hours of burnoffs, nor do they apparently track in their system that I explained that 3 other times.

Triple-whack.. If your keen, just send the pics to customer service and request an RMA and skipp the pointless, untracked, troubleshooting calls with the other techs who aren't going to start jack-squat for you except golden advice like "it's usually ok to inhale that.."

On another note.. after 5+ hours of burnoffs it's starting to smell less like soldered plastic and more like hot glue.. still some offgas billows occasionally tho, I'm still sending this back and waiting till "the new batch comes in next month.."-According to GV

I will never order from got vape ever again.

I just did a burn off and got wisps of smoke for a bit. I wiped all parts i could get to down with alcohol wipes and then threw a little abv in there. Got a few little wispy clouds but I also didn't pack it super tight either. Tasted like abv. And got me a little headed. I think this might be OK. Probably going to have to keep doing burnoffs but I think I will keep it. Few scratches and scuffs but most of the QC issues people have been having don't appear to be present on mine.

I'm sticking to the glue theory. Def smells like hot glue and all the little "fibers" lead me to think its little wisps of stringy glue. A lot seemed to collect on all the rubber seals as well as the grille below.

And my bottom grille on 430*F gets PAINFULLY hot.

Also if you're getting a lot of returns and have to ship out new units at what point does it make sense to not offshore production.

I was hoping not to have to exchange mine as it had minor issues at first (cloudy screen, funky smell that's going away - I think it's a piece of silicone under the bowl (The first DV's mouthpiece had a really smelly end piece), a less than perfect seal in the uptube and between glass screen and bowl).
But now it's getting really buggy. Last night, turned it on, wouldn't begin heating. Either on the auto cycle mode or just with one temp. Turned it off and on a couple times. Nada. The screen is lit just not heating up.
Finally opened it up and only then did it start heating up. This morning same thing and worse. Will only start heating up when it's open and at one point it showed the temp @ 430 when it was likely under 200. Finally go to charge it and now guess what? It will only show that its charging when it's open. I can't charge it closed. Hopefully I can get a session or two out of it before I figure out how to do an exchange.

Sounds like a crimped or melted wire in the hinge. When you open it you complete the bad connection so it heats and charges. Just a guess though.

rsqemt911,

rsqemt911

Just did a half bowl of blue widow and I can see why you need that glass bead as long as the load stayed at the bottom I got decent results. Ended up wedging cotton in there and it worked fine.

Tried a little shatter in the oil can and the rattling was noticeable but not bad. No visable vapor production but taste and results said otherwise. WOW! My results were way better than anticipated. I still like my cloud pen better though.

My current opinion is if you like stealth go with the Pax. If you like taste and performance go with the solo. Those are so far the best in their perspective niches. But the ascent does both and pretty well so if you can't decide between stealth and performance go with the ascent.

More to come soon.

Snake Plissken

Transcendentalist
I have never rode the fence so hard on an item before. One minute I would hate it, the next I would love it. I was all set to return my stealth (or at least exchange it). Now I love it and will keep the one sent to me. I am too worried about getting a replacement in worse condition after all the horror stories.

The battery life was the main concern for me. It's like the battery meter should have a question mark behind it..... 1/2 full?, maybe I don't know. I don't think the meter is super accurate, but I'm getting decent battery life (while no where near what was advertised). It does seem pretty commonplace that manufacturers falsely inflate battery potential. I typically have a 3stage session. around 6 pulls @ 385, 6 @ 410 and finish off at 430. I have been able to get about 6 of these sessions on a charge w/o running the battery completely out.

Another main issue was how the empty chamber seemed 'open' to the vapor path w/ massive leaking. If you have the standard glass stem/screen in place - open the oven, cap the bottom and blow through the mouthpiece. Massive air leak. NOW: follow the same process w/ the straight water adaptor in place instead of the standard stem. Virtually airtight! Who cares what's happening outside of the airpath as long as you can succeed in creating a near airtight pathway. The issue is how loose the stem to screen connection are. Probably worth the sacrifice of incorporating some type of grommet.

My oven still gets pretty hot to the touch if I have a long session over 410. While I wish the oven was better insulated, it is not unbearable and I can live with it.

For those who aren't getting much vapor: Have you tried blowing through the mouthpiece to see what was actually coming out the other end? Should be a steady stream of vapor.

I threw a little chunk of scissor hash (1/2 the size of a pencil eraser) in the corner of the oven w/ a lidless glass jar on top and cranked the heat up to 430 last night. Vaped good, over 20 pulls when I gave up. The glass jar did move up and down a little, but no big deal.

Last edited:

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker
oeiQ9zY.jpg
Is that the Stealth? I don't recall the finish having a pattern:shrug:. I like that you put the stopper ring on the stem that way...dual purpose/plug & pull:tup:!

Snappo,

OF

A classic issue for sure. "Build or buy", there are advantages to each subject to circumstances?

I suspect at this point they're 'married' to the vendor. They simply don't have the documentation for (or maybe even the title to) the parts needed to give to the next vendor (foreign or domestic). Those sorts of 'packages' are rare indeed really. Instead shortcuts are taken as they 'work with each other'. Changing that will take a long time.....and I don't think more delays are high on anyone's list? Not to mention scrapping all the in process vapes and buying out of any contracts that might exist for future runs.

Such a change could wipe out your company.

For sure, 'In house' would be a huge change. I suspect DV would take a long long time to set up a manufacturing outfit as I strongly suspect it's basically an office-warehouse deal right now?

The normal idea (Prototype, evaluate, Beta run, Beta testing, Pilot Run, evaluation, production release) is already routinely short circuited (Beta Tests are often rushed and not fully used and Pilot Runs are typically passed off as production releases). This 'rush to market' has a lot of risks as I think we see here? Not the least of which is time crunches on course changes. In true Capitalist fashion that risk is accompanied by the carrot of more profits (if it works out).

"The fleas come with the dog."

OF

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
A classic issue for sure. "Build or buy", there are advantages to each subject to circumstances?

I suspect at this point they're 'married' to the vendor. They simply don't have the documentation for (or maybe even the title to) the parts needed to give to the next vendor (foreign or domestic). Those sorts of 'packages' are rare indeed really. Instead shortcuts are taken as they 'work with each other'. Changing that will take a long time.....and I don't think more delays are high on anyone's list? Not to mention scrapping all the in process vapes and buying out of any contracts that might exist for future runs.

Such a change could wipe out your company.

For sure, 'In house' would be a huge change. I suspect DV would take a long long time to set up a manufacturing outfit as I strongly suspect it's basically an office-warehouse deal right now?

The normal idea (Prototype, evaluate, Beta run, Beta testing, Pilot Run, evaluation, production release) is already routinely short circuited (Beta Tests are often rushed and not fully used and Pilot Runs are typically passed off as production releases). This 'rush to market' has a lot of risks as I think we see here? Not the least of which is time crunches on course changes. In true Capitalist fashion that risk is accompanied by the carrot of more profits (if it works out).

"The fleas come with the dog."

OF

No. From this thread:

Also, someone asked about our production facility so I'll share a little about our background for you guys. We've been manufacturing various products for other people through the years, but have tons of experience with sourcing, qc management, logistics and such. When we entered into this industry, we decided to open up our own factory and build it from the ground up, so we are one of the few manufacturers to actually own our factory. I'll tell you ..that alone has been an interesting experience and lends to an amount of challenges that I cannot begin to explain. However, it gives us much better control than to outsource to some random Chinese manufacturer...not to mention protection from copycats. Probably doesn't help our case for the delays, but we do still rely on outside vendors for materials and such. We are making improvements every day and the same vendors were not used for DaVinci as for Ascent. Totally different build materials all together.

OF

No. From this thread:

Thanks, I think that backs up what I said? The point I was responding too was "Also if you're getting a lot of returns and have to ship out new units at what point does it make sense to not offshore production."

So it seems they're even more 'married' to the guys making their parts offshore. They have no production facilities 'onshore' to fall back on and would have to establish that facility? While there might not be IP issues (there well could be I think, depending on the partnership/ownership deal there) the fact that 'they have all their eggs in one basket' there makes moving it here all the harder and probably delaying it further?

I don't see moving production here right now as being a good way out of the problems they seem to be having. I don't think that time is at hand.

OF

OF,
Top Bottom