Ascent Vaporizer by DaVinci

baltik

Wait, so you were offered a refund? I was a bit thrown off when you said the "refund window has already closed"

I was offered a refund since I am within 14 days of purchase, however had I opted for replacement first that window would not have restarted so I would be SOL if the replacement unit exhibited similar problems

baltik,

OF

Right as I was finishing up I randomly asked if I would be able to receive a refund if my second unit continued to have some of the same problems - I was told that I could only have the refund within 14 days of the original purchase/send date. IE by the time I send in the faulty unit and receive the new unit my refund window has already closed.

Great question, unfortunate answer.

What that seems to mean is the only smart move is to return it for a refund then buy another new one so you can get the two weeks to check that one out? I don't see how that really benefits anyone.....

Hopefully it will all be sorted out in due time, but a lot of ill will might happen in the mean time.

Has anyone figured out if you can open the case? If so, it seems to me that vapor leakage would also be leaving tell tale 'wand hash' deposits in the works? Finding that I would think would be pretty conclusive......

Nice to know I'm not crazy. That awful taste had to come from somewhere...

You can still be crazy too if you want you know......we're kind of informal that way.....

OF

sam reynolds

because "Samantha" is a mouthful.
Interesting. I dont mean to scare you but that probably means even more of your electronics are exposed than mine. :(

On the plus side, the Ascent that I refuse to use is now fully charged :uhoh: Excuse me while i hit my solo instead :(
Just hit mine for the first time in three days. My god, what a difference.

If only Arizer made a solo in a slim a form factor like the Ascent.

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
Mine aren't visible directly above (they don't stick out), but from an angle.

At the bottom...a gap? Or just shadow?
The picture links to a few more, I'll post here.

20130826_214822_zps1827bdb8.jpg

2013-08-02104453_zps59b9f28a.png

2013-07-31001046_zps45c2a9f3.png

tre-ert

Well I just had a proper roast of it, trying what I mentioned earlier: removing the glass screen tube. The vapor is hitting the cylindrical inner wall on its way, but I have a feeling it's doing that anyway. Couldn't detect any difference in taste. I put a metal screen in front of the airpath - lodged in place into the rubber, worked like a charm. I did of course still use the bigger mouthpiece tube.

It's quite liberating to be able to draw on it speedily and fully into your lungs. Those four little holes on the glass stem really limit your intake and they make pulling the Ascent a bit of a chore. I'm in definite agreement with those saying vapor escapes from this device, and by widening the air path a bit more, I might have even caught more vapor that otherwise would have escaped.

Having the open pull also let me feel around where air might be getting into. It's the middle. It's not airtight, you can cover it with your palms and feel your draw getting tighter, coming straight from the silver opening on the bottom.

2 friendly tips for DaVinci:
1. Another approach to the glass screen. I picture an inner glass tube that's open on the end, looks like a bowl and is designed to hold a replaceable screen, all matching the oval shape of the bowl. Ability to pull at normal speed = good. And most definitely is getting you MORE vapor.
2. A chassis where the middle doesn't take in air. This is probably a bit more extreme requiring fundamental re-design. It might not be possible with a swiveling portion that bisects the whole thing. It'd have to be something that closes airtight at that section, leaving only the bottom open. Some kind of coverable carb or lid on the bottom would be a great idea too.

As the Ascent stands now, you're pulling through those 4 tiny holes to slowly get air including non-vapor coming through the middle. It's no wonder we're all complaining about it depleting our herbs for scant vapor. It still gets me blazed, I might keep using it this way but it looks a bit wacky indeed with the screen sort of stuck into the inner airpath.

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
Why doesn't that screen come out golden instead of looking like sludge?

Dreamerr,

WakeAndVape

VapeLife X
People keep saying davinci needs to widen the air path for better hits but I think the wider path is what is making it harder to get vapor for some, think about it...it has no draw resistance, the solo is said to be the best by some and it also has some of the greatest draw resistance. ..ijs:2c:

Tweek

Has anyone been able to figure out why slim was getting such great clouds? There has to be some reason...technique? Dryness? Was something tuned differently in that batch?

WakeAndVape

VapeLife X
People keep saying davinci needs to widen the air path for better hits but I think the wider path is what is making it harder to get vapor for some, think about it...it has no draw resistance, the solo is said to be the best by some and it also has some of the greatest draw resistance. ..ijs:2c:
@Dreamerr, @sam reynolds is right...those are chunks that passed the screen, there is a golden glaze between
@Quetzalcoatl ...no hash, that was build up of abv dust after about two weeks without a thorough clean...I since removed it with a dental pick (metal)
but that is the hardest part of the bowl to clean

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
@Dreamerr, @sam reynolds is right...those are chunks that passed the screen, there is a golden glaze between
@Quetzalcoatl ...no hash, that was build up of abv dust after about two weeks without a thorough clean...I since removed it with a dental pick (metal)
but that is the hardest part of the bowl to clean
Ah, makes sense. In the bowl picture, is the black stuff at the corner also ABV dust/resin?

alphabj

Has anyone been able to figure out why slim was getting such great clouds? There has to be some reason...technique? Dryness? Was something tuned differently in that batch?
IIRC he needs a lot of material for his needs, so he was probably filling the bowl up fully and tightly. I could be wrong, but the clouds would come easily simply because of the extra herbs. Most of us are trying to get clouds on 1/5 or 1/4 of a bowl. @Slightly Medicated ?

alphabj,
Reactions: Tweek

sam reynolds

because "Samantha" is a mouthful.
IIRC he needs a lot of material for his needs, so he was probably filling the bowl up fully and tightly. I could be wrong, but the clouds would come easily simply because of the extra herbs. Most of us are trying to get clouds on 1/5 or 1/4 of a bowl. @Slightly Medicated ?
I saw clouds--once--with 1/5 bowl at 430°F through a WT. But only on the first hit. And it looked like what I get from the Solo on 4.

But then, it was so hot that may have been the entire vapor content of the load.

alphabj

I saw clouds--once--with 1/5 bowl at 430°F through a WT. But only on the first hit. And it looked like what I get from the Solo on 4.

But then, it was so hot that may have been the entire vapor content of the load.
Yeah I got 1 big cloud and 1 little cloud from 1/4 of half-baked at around 400-410.

And assuming you're temp is running low, you could have been vaping closer to the combustion zone. lol.

Tweek

That is the one thing I hate about my PAX, is that I have to always have a full, tightly packed oven to get the most vapour production. If that is the case here, you guys/gals wanting to do smaller loads may be out of luck...:(

Pickz

Vapes on vapes on vapes!
May be similar to the PAX which performs best with a full oven.

After you asked initially I tried loading a bowl of ABV that I had been using in smaller bowls in to one big bowl, packed it tight, and have been getting decent looking clouds. I was also getting pretty good clouds with using an oil jar with a hole drilled in it and slow draws.

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
I believe when slim did the test it was about half full maybe less as I asked him to do it I think. He normally vapes at high temps but again for that same test he was at a lower temp. I don't recall what temp but it was no more then 185 but I think it was 175 IIRC. All this can be in my head of course but that is how I recall it. He did pack it down tight that I also think I remember in my dreams.

It really perplexes me that so many who don't normally vape at such high temps are going high on the ascent. Are you just chasing visible vapor or is it that comfortable at high temps?

dirtydozen12

Just caught up with reading the thread. I also have the mystery gas that I can't get to stop and I can unfortunately see a green wire =[ guess I need to make a phone call but I want to love this device so much... I have the stealth model first batch sent out

8D702395-A78D-4288-801D-0D8C60CCB2A7-7130-0000039A90D24E04_zps92967dec.jpg

Sorry for crapp iPhone pic, you can kind of see it left side

Pickz

Vapes on vapes on vapes!
It really perplexes me that so many who don't normally vape at such high temps are going high on the ascent. Are you just chasing visible vapor or is it that comfortable at high temps?
I only have experience with the Pinnacle and the Ascent as far as portables go and the Ascent at higher temps irritates my throat less than the Pinnacle did. That is of course without the water tool.

Tweek

After you asked initially I tried loading a bowl of ABV that I had been using in smaller bowls in to one big bowl, packed it tight, and have been getting decent looking clouds. I was also getting pretty good clouds with using an oil jar with a hole drilled in it and slow draws.

Maybe the next time you pack a fresh bowl, ramp up the temp from lower for more flavour to higher for more vapour and see what happens? That's what I do with my PAX, and on the highest end I get good clouds.

Top Bottom