Ascent Vaporizer by DaVinci

njluvdr

Keep calm and vape on
Very little to no visable vapor and hours of trying to burn off that mystery smoke. Its going back tomorrow for an exchange for a "tested and vetted" replacement.

sam reynolds

because "Samantha" is a mouthful.
clip it!

it's always the red wire that diffuses the bomb :D
Is that red with the green stripe, or green with the red stripe?

This is the dealbreaker for us. Time to clean it up for shipping. Very sad. Lord knows what my brother and I have been inhaling the last few days.

I would be okay with the internal "GonG" connection if the lining was a single piece of silicon, separating the airpath from any other possible ingress. This seems so basic to me that I can't comprehend how this slipped by after months of planning and development.

theCerberus

I am very glad this community exists, if it wasnt for @Rexxe I wouldnt have been shining a LED down my Ascent and I would have never seen the wispy burn off or that wire.
I knew it smelt like overheating electronics, and I am fairly convinced this wire seals the deal.
I am glad I did not just take it out of the box and hit a bowl like I was very tempted to do.

Edit: thanks @thesoloman too

Last edited:

Rexxe

I am very glad this community exists, if it wasnt for @Rexxe I wouldnt have been shining a LED down my Ascent and I would have never seen the wispy burn off or that wire.
I knew it smelt like overheating electronics, and I am fairly convinced this wire seals the deal.
I am glad I did not just take it out of the box and hit a bowl like I was very tempted to do.

You can thank @thesoloman, I think he's the first one to have used the flash light, I just followed suit.

Now, if I can just get some sort of reply from them with an RMA number....

stickstones

Vapor concierge
no...and I didn't have any of the air leakage other beta users reported, either. Mine was the second best tasting vapor I'd ever had after the Vapolution 2. These problems you guys are having aren't design issues, imo, because most of them did not exist in my unit. I think it is a manufacturing QC issue.

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd

JoDa Glassworks
Glass Blower
Here's the glass bead I've been using with GREAT success!
FoLVoe3.jpg

And in the unit:
h2Ozz5W.jpg

Also I'd like to note, I have an incredibly powerful tactical flashlight and I'm no dummy, I have no off gassing nor can I see any exposed wires. I am having great success with my ascent! At this very moment as a matter of fact!

alphabj

Mine is orange and white :) If anybody (@nigel) doubts that a bunch of that vapor would go out from in between the straws and into that void, take the glass out and mate them a few times. Note the looseness. Then at your next session, look down the straw while you're waiting for that cloud and note the vapor that has creeped up in the straw floating around that gap. I do doubt that a high percentage of vapor from the bowl would enter that recess while you're hitting, but while you're waiting it will undoubtedly get some leakage.

Re: clouds. I used the oil can to tamp the bowl down with some half-baked herb. THAT produced a couple clouds that rivaled the beta testers'!! So that sucker needs to be super tight AND you have to take slooow draws with the sipping method, but it can be done. From what I've heard you'd just be sucking harder on the solo to get the same cloud, so, whichever you prefer. Also, I did not have any off-gasing; I had a good(better) stealth.

EDIT: Those 2 clouds were with 1/4 bowl of half-baked herb tamped down reaaaly tight. But those 2 clouds with a couple other small hits were basically 2-2.5 cloudless MFLB hits :/

I was surprised how sticky the bottom stem was after just that little session.

EDIT2: OH! I also covered up the bottom grill really tight and took a draw with the glass in. There was quite a bit of extra air coming in from somewhere.

Last edited:

mmenzie

My friends call me "Menz"
I've tried every number they have and dialed extension 601 and I keep getting their v-mail (and have left a message). Kinda frustrating not to be able to talk to someone. I have literally tried all day today.

Honestly, I've run this thing for well over an hour of combined sessions and it's not burning off. When I tried this morning, I found the smoke to actually be worse than before.

Also, if it is curing, then it's a chemical gas release so I can't imagine it's good to inhale it.

sorry you had such bad luck. i called 3 times and only once got the machine.

mmenzie,

Pappy

shmaporist
I've tried every number they have and dialed extension 601 and I keep getting their v-mail (and have left a message).
Emailed DV requesting RMA this weekend but no reply so far. Will give it another day or so, they must be inundated with inquiries from the launch. I do regret returning a product with so much potential.

I love this forum too. :)

I think the consensus is that @Pappy has a bum unit. There are most likely a few other people in his boat.

My unit doesn't have that issue, and I can make fine clouds. (OThers have said the same thing.
Have generated wisps of vapor compressing the load and vaping at hight temps (215C and above). I endorse the tight pack method. My biggest concern is efficiency. The results didn't live up to my expectations, considering the amount of herb this vape consumes. My desktop vape requires half the amount and gets me twice as medicated. I grant this is an apples to oranges comparison but my expectations due to pre launch marketing suggested the Ascent would rival a desktop. Also concerned about battery efficiency, it seems to be all over the map. I do believe this is a quality portable that will garner a big fan base. I wish DV well!

sam reynolds

no...and I didn't have any of the air leakage other beta users reported, either. Mine was the second best tasting vapor I'd ever had after the Vapolution 2. These problems you guys are having aren't design issues, imo, because most of them did not exist in my unit. I think it is a manufacturing QC issue.
If the bottom silicone piece went up just a liiiiiiittle higher in the tube (1/4" or so), it would close the gap exposing the wires.

Perhaps that piece was made too short in this production run. Are most of us experiencing this issue?

sam reynolds,

theCerberus

If the bottom silicone piece went up just a liiiiiiittle higher in the tube (1/4" or so), it would close the gap exposing the wires.

Perhaps that piece was made too short in this production run. Are most of us experiencing this issue?

I've really studied my photo since I can zoom in, I think its that the wires got wedged in between the silicone and the air path, i dont think that piece was made wrong/created the gap, the wedging of the wires did.

theCerberus,

sam reynolds

I've really studied my photo since I can zoom in, I think its that the wires got wedged in between the silicone and the air path, i dont think that piece was made wrong/created the gap, the wedging of the wires did.
That's not the case for me. The wires don't stick out in the airpath, and the gap could easily be closed if the silicone was longer.

sam reynolds,

theCerberus

That's not the case for me. The wires don't stick out in the airpath, and the gap could easily be closed if the silicone was longer.

Interesting. I dont mean to scare you but that probably means even more of your electronics are exposed than mine. :(

On the plus side, the Ascent that I refuse to use is now fully charged :uhoh: Excuse me while i hit my solo instead :(

baltik

I spoke to davinci today regarding replacing my unit - they seems genuinely concerned and stayed with me on the phone for a bit going through my issues. Right as I was finishing up I randomly asked if I would be able to receive a refund if my second unit continued to have some of the same problems - I was told that I could only have the refund within 14 days of the original purchase/send date. IE by the time I send in the faulty unit and receive the new unit my refund window has already closed. I am a bit of a stickler and at $250 I expect close to perfection (no led fogging, no offgassing, solid vapor production with reasonable efficiency, no air leakage at the stem or clasp and no overheating near the grille). Bottom line I did not have the confidence that the new unit would fix all of these issues - so I opted for a refund instead. I am still holding out hope that with a bit more development this will still turn out to be the king of portables, I think the form factor is great and the design principles are sound. I am just not willing to beta test with my lungs at this price point (and I have a solo to tide me over)

Stthings

I spoke to davinci today regarding replacing my unit - they seems genuinely concerned and stayed with me on the phone for a bit going through my issues. Right as I was finishing up I randomly asked if I would be able to receive a refund if my second unit continued to have some of the same problems - I was told that I could only have the refund within 14 days of the original purchase/send date. IE by the time I send in the faulty unit and receive the new unit my refund window has already closed. I am a bit of a stickler and at $250 I expect close to perfection (no led fogging, no offgassing, solid vapor production with reasonable efficiency, no air leakage at the stem or clasp and no overheating near the grille). Bottom line I did not have the confidence that the new unit would fix all of these issues - so I opted for a refund instead. I am still holding out hope that with a bit more development this will still turn out to be the king of portables, I think the form factor is great and the design principles are sound. I am just not willing to beta test with my lungs at this price point (and I have a solo to tide me over)
Wait, so you were offered a refund? I was a bit thrown off when you said the "refund window has already closed"

Stthings,

theCerberus

Nice to know I'm not crazy. That awful taste had to come from somewhere...

The second I smelled it I new it was overheating electronics, its just amazing that the rep assured me it was the "curing". I trust my nose damn it.

The reps advice was unwise, he told me it was safe, and to keep burning it off. That has got to stop.
I will patiently await @Davinci_vaporizer public response, but I am for sure asking for a replacement 1st thing tomorrow when they open.

Last edited:
theCerberus,
Reactions: marvil701
Top Bottom