Ascent Vaporizer by DaVinci

hoptimum

Just
After a few years of daily wear and tear it's time for a replacement. I say screw the IQ . I'm sticking to the trouble free, easy using, easy cleaning, easy toking and always friendly Ascent. I love how when you accidently drop it , and you will, it still works. I love how I can put a level 1/4 teaspoons worth in the bowl then just add one of those oil jars minus the rubber lid right on top and get a nice long session. I love how all you have to do is remove the glass parts and add alcohol and salt then shake and they look like new. Tips that I've learned is to not drop it and the hinge is the weakest point, so always try to rest the bottom section on a firm surface when scraping out the bowl

just don't drop it with the stem extended

wags1

To each his/her own but after going from an Ascent that I used for a long time to an IQ I would never go back. My Ascent is now packed away as an emergency back-up.

wags1,

waag56

How's the draw resistance compared with the ascent? I bought the firefly 2 and can't get comfortable with the long, suck real slow for 10 seconds thing

waag56,

wags1

How's the draw resistance compared with the ascent? I bought the firefly 2 and can't get comfortable with the long, suck real slow for 10 seconds thing
It all depends on how you pack it. But, IMHO it is much better than the Ascent. Vapor production is much better as well. IMO the entire experience is much better than the Ascent. They fixed most if not all of the problems that the Ascent had.

wags1,

Ricardo

I've never got huge clouds from the Ascent, just wispy, tasty vapor. I have got super-high loads of times - a pinch of weed (no more than in the VapCap), fine grind, glass flowers, stepping up through the temperatures. Even though 90% of my vaping these days is with my OmniVap, I still love to kick back for a 10-minute session with the Ascent :peace:

ASchutz

If you use anything but flower its a mess. You cannot use oils or concentrates as it fails in the heat it produces. I take a layer of fine grind to just cover the holes in bottom of heating bowl, then add some fine grind bubble hash and top it off with more flower. Mission completed.

ASchutz,

Petunia Vanish

Everything about this vape sounds good on paper GLASS on Glass air path, ceramic bowl, long battery...etc

Menu was always confusing to me.

Just never got good extraction or efficacy... Then unit wouldn't turn on.:ugh:

Petunia Vanish,
Reactions: Ricardo

Ricardo

My first Ascent stopped charging while still under warranty so I got a new one. Had it for about 4 years now, I guess and I still like it every now and then. Lovely, flavoursome, clean vapor - nothing wrong with it at all. Then I discovered Dynavap and the rest is history :peace:

hoptimum

My first Ascent stopped charging while still under warranty so I got a new one. Had it for about 4 years now, I guess and I still like it every now and then. Lovely, flavoursome, clean vapor - nothing wrong with it at all. Then I discovered Dynavap and the rest is history :peace:

I liked the Ascent fine as long as it worked, but over time the buttons stopped functioning

hoptimum,

Glass004

Consumer Advocate
The Ascent is a great vaporizer, the IQ is better. I use my vaps really heavy and hot. Such extreme use stresses and breaks the vap. Also stuffing glass shards through the oven walls tends to limit lifespans
DaVinci has always honored their warranty. I find the customer service RMA process to be very slow most of the time. This requires I have a backup vaporizer. I kept two AsCents and now have two IQs.
DaVinci has a great value warranty/repair program for Ascents . They will fix/replace your broken out of warranty Ascent for $60 and you get a 60 day guarantee. Dig up your broken Ascents to be repaired. I gave away a couple of these repaired Ascents to family for their good health.
The IQ is cleaner and more efficient than the Ascent. Both are well designed vaporizers. DaVinci is a good company with innovatively designed vaporizers. They really do try to make the customer happy. They iinsure quality by controlling the manufacturering process by owning the overseas factories. I have bought all my vaps and accessories from them. The costs of vaporizers can be offset by the customer reward program .

PyrPressure

I also want to throw some love DaVinci's way! I recently contacted DaVinci thru FC and related a dissatisfactory experience with customer service.

Short-ish story: My Ascent stopped holding a charge after 6 months and I thought it was a bad wall charger. I replaced it twice with new OEM chargers. Both worked for a few days before the unit would stop charging - again. I contacted DaVinci several times about this within the original warranty but was never told that some Ascents had charger port performance issues (something I discovered by reading FC :)) and that I might need repairs to the unit itself. I was pissed that Ascent negligently failed to tell me this during the original warranty period. I did not get the correct response from customer service so I contacted DV thru FC and told them my story.

Davinci replied almost immediately to my post and generously offered to send me a replacement Ascent with a 6-month extension on my original warranty.

When DaVinci did not respond to my last email I was tempted to just throw it out and never by DaVinci again. But, I really hoped for a response bc I truly love my Ascent. Feels great in your hand, has a very cool, retro look, decent battery life, AND, most importantly it produces amazing flavor and vapor quality!!!!!

Honestly, I prefer the Ascent to my Volcano. It maybe is not the best beginner vape as it takes some experimentation to maximize vapor potential - as is true of every vape I have used. If DaVinci continues to support their products like this I will happily continue buying and recommending DaVinci.

Customer loyalty (tentatively) restored :)

The Ascent is a great vaporizer, the IQ is better. I use my vaps really heavy and hot. Such extreme use stresses and breaks the vap. Also stuffing glass shards through the oven walls tends to limit lifespans
DaVinci has always honored their warranty. I find the customer service RMA process to be very slow most of the time. This requires I have a backup vaporizer. I kept two AsCents and now have two IQs.
DaVinci has a great value warranty/repair program for Ascents . They will fix/replace your broken out of warranty Ascent for $60 and you get a 60 day guarantee. Dig up your broken Ascents to be repaired. I gave away a couple of these repaired Ascents to family for their good health.
The IQ is cleaner and more efficient than the Ascent. Both are well designed vaporizers. DaVinci is a good company with innovatively designed vaporizers. They really do try to make the customer happy. They iinsure quality by controlling the manufacturering process by owning the overseas factories. I have bought all my vaps and accessories from them. The costs of vaporizers can be offset by the customer reward program .

gangababa

Not so long ago I pulled my Ascent out to use and it would not turn on. I learned that I could plug in the charger, turn it on, remove the charger and be fine (off-on-off as needed). However, put away and pulled out later (think pocket on a walk), it refused to turn until I could boost it with my charger-starter.
I can use it at home and so I have.

Even with all its bad-press points (like smell), I have always liked my Ascent, which first brought me to this site. I was thinking, have I not used it for four years since my 50th year high-school reunion, when I drove cross country? No, I remembered enjoying it two years ago on cross country trip for my daughter's wedding. I flew then. Now I have flown again.

With my Ascent well cleaned and packed in my carry-on (rechargeable battery rules), I left the discordant land of trumpets* and now I find myself in the muy agradable pais de Uruguay*, far from my old Oregon home of copious capitalist cannabis. Although the law here fully allows growing, possessing and using weed, I can not legally buy it. The farmacias, home-grows and clubs de cannabis are for legal residents only, not tourists.
An Uruguayan can gift cannabis but how is a 72 year-old who no hablo espanol, going to hook up?

Some stories are best imagined, and magic happens. After all, Uruguay is a World Cup winner.
Even if this unknown bud is not. Long trips start with short steps.
AscentCannabis.jpg

*June 27 1973, 45 years ago, the dictatorship in Uruguay began.
Eleven years later on this same date, a general strike marked the moment when the people reclaimed their democracy. The USA has much to learn. The ignorance is too inbred. The pain will be deep.
This 27th June will be marked as the moment that the last wall of the shining city on the hill collapsed and the slippery slope became the infallible force of gravity dragging all to the lowest levels of inhumanity.

virtualpurple

I also want to throw some love DaVinci's way! I recently contacted DaVinci thru FC and related a dissatisfactory experience with customer service.

Short-ish story: My Ascent stopped holding a charge after 6 months and I thought it was a bad wall charger. I replaced it twice with new OEM chargers. Both worked for a few days before the unit would stop charging - again. I contacted DaVinci several times about this within the original warranty but was never told that some Ascents had charger port performance issues (something I discovered by reading FC :)) and that I might need repairs to the unit itself. I was pissed that Ascent negligently failed to tell me this during the original warranty period. I did not get the correct response from customer service so I contacted DV thru FC and told them my story.

Davinci replied almost immediately to my post and generously offered to send me a replacement Ascent with a 6-month extension on my original warranty.

When DaVinci did not respond to my last email I was tempted to just throw it out and never by DaVinci again. But, I really hoped for a response bc I truly love my Ascent. Feels great in your hand, has a very cool, retro look, decent battery life, AND, most importantly it produces amazing flavor and vapor quality!!!!!

Honestly, I prefer the Ascent to my Volcano. It maybe is not the best beginner vape as it takes some experimentation to maximize vapor potential - as is true of every vape I have used. If DaVinci continues to support their products like this I will happily continue buying and recommending DaVinci.

Customer loyalty (tentatively) restored :)

Great post and great to hear about their customer service.

My first vape was the Ascent and although I had some reliability issues, I found Customer service to be very good to me. I started to crave efficiency more and more and cycled away from the Ascent after awhile, but for the first 2 hits truly nothing touched the ascent in terms of flavor!

I honestly think the biggest Achilles heel for the ascent was their stem ssystem. There were other little things but their stock stem setup really let too much air come in and mix with the vapor and left me feeling umsatisfied with its performance with water. After watching a vape fiend video I bought their gong and made sure I had it inserted as far as it would go, and that was an instant game changer. That gong stem makes it function so superior I honestly am surprised that they don’t just market it with the longer stems to begin with and just include the shorter stem for people that decide they need it to travel. I know that’s a silly idea for a vape marketed as a portable vape but the form factor and the other competition kinda cement it as a home portable and not truly a vape for on the go use.

My second ascent wasn’t used terribly often, it was more like pulling out a cigar or some nice scotch on a special occasion, but eventually I decided it is better off going to a home where it can be used the way it’s intended and can bring someone a smile or some relief, so it was included in a care package to @Vitolo in his quest to give help bring people with a less fortunate deal of the deck a better quality of life as well as the tools that they can put to use with considerations to their abilities. It honestly makes you feel good to know what a difference that can make in someone’s life. As much as I enjoy my vaporizers for my own benefit there honestly is no comparison to how you feel when you hear about the people whose lives you have improved through passing along a respectable device when it has began to to fall out of the rotation.

Like the poster just above, the Davinci Ascent was what brought me to the FC forums in the first place, and it really was a great first vape in that it didn’t have a learning curve. If I had to do it over again I think I would have grabbed a solo instead but I’ve never tried one but I learned from the vapcap that particularly popular vape threads are probably a good indicator that I should hop in or do a YouTube search and see what the fuss is about!

PyrPressure

Thanks for the welcome. I have been an appreciative/grateful reader for some time and have learned so much just hanging out here quietly. I've also avoided A LOT of problems by checking here when I have issues or want to research a potential purchase :)

I read about the hinge on another thread so have always been very careful with the oven door. Are you pretty confident it is a/the source of the charger port malfunction?

Vitolo,

What an amazing way of sharing the green love! We just got our first dispensaries in MD so MMJ and vaping is finally moving aboveground :)

Low-income MD MMJ patients would surely benefit from having access to low or no-cost vapes. Especially since - as we FC folk can appreciate - in addition to the financial cost it can be hard for newbies to sort through the marketing fog. I'd be interested in learning more about how you set it up to see if I could set something similar up in MD.

Last edited by a moderator:

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
@PyrPressure : yup, there are 3 pairs going through the hinge. One between the small PCB with the charger jack that goes upstairs, and two for the heater and temperature sensors that go from the top to the bottom (or well since they are loops they eventually get upstairs again, just a way to describe it)

When the first one is damaged, there are problems with charging. When the second one is damaged, device turns on but doesn't heat up. I don't think we've seen the sensor one damaged yet, but you would get either a cold device (same symptom, doesn't heat up) or a runaway heater that combusts everything.

The mechanical stress on the solder joints and/or the cables themselves is too much for the poor things as the designers didn't include any stress relief (at least in the versions that were around when I cared about these things)

PyrPressure

Yeah, it makes sense that would be a major stress area.

Well, now that the good folks at DV are sending me a new unit I think I'm going to peek under the hood and see if I can get her up and running enough to make it worth donating.

Thanks for the detail; very very helpful ...

Top Bottom