• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Ascent Vaporizer by DaVinci

Ricardo

Just a question which I know some of you can answer - what size/gauge & material are the DaVinci Ascent screens? If I buy a sheet of mosquito netting (metal? steel?) and cut it up - will that work?

UNRELATED EDIT: I've been looking at backups for the Ascent. Was sold on the Flowermate 5.0S mini but my grow store doesn't stock them. I came very close to buying an Air, but then I saw the Xvape Vital - for 70€. and took a chance on it (after a quick Internet search, - no great reviews but no shockers either) and was very impressed straight out of the box. The only other Vape I've ever used is the Ascent with the ceramic chamber and glass stems so I wasn't expecting a cool session with this one - the chamber is very close to the mouthpiece and the mouthpiece is hard plastic. But the chamber is ceramic, easy to load and @ 195°C (383°F) it didn't seem harsh at all. I think this is partly due to the air vents surrounding the chamber - the draw is easy and smooth, basically just breathing in. I see there are glass stems and a dinky water attachment available as accessories but I doubt I'll get those. The Vital is super stealthy, fits in the palm of the hand and could be mistaken for an asthma inhaler (but stylish). The airpath is separate from the electrics so no worries there. It has a non-removable battery and charges via usb port. It wasn't the Vape I set out to buy but for 70 bucks I think it'll be a fine secondary Vape.

Last edited:
Ricardo,

sickmanfraud

Hi! I PM'd you to get information for warranty. The Ascent bowl should not get that hot. I'd love to take a look at the unit and see whats going on. Sorry for the trouble.

DV, It has been a week since you offered to help and there has not been 1 word via e-mail to get the ball rolling.

sickmanfraud,

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
For me I don't like too easy of a draw. I have rigged my Ascent so it's not so airy when taking a draw. I used a small gasket around the mouthpiece at the top of the opening and use a GonG or a WonG for a mouthpiece. I also push the mouthpiece down close to the oven. I use the glass spacers and a tight pack.

My Ascent will be 3 years old come this September. I pulled it out of the box just yesterday. It worked flawlessly. I still had a 1/4 of a battery. I hadn't used it in months. I charged it up before using it. I like temp 385 and 390.

I'm curious how the new models would compare to mine?

Davinci_vaporizer

Clean First Technology
Manufacturer
DV, It has been a week since you offered to help and there has not been 1 word via e-mail to get the ball rolling.
Hi! I just sent you an email to get everything started. Sorry about the delay, we've been quite busy here the past few weeks but we'll definitely make sure you are taken care of.

Davinci_vaporizer,
Reactions: OF

ArthurJ

Hey, whats better for the DaVinci Ascent, ground herbs or coarse hand torn? My buddy just got one and what we're playin around with it.

ArthurJ,

OF

Hey, whats better for the DaVinci Ascent, ground herbs or coarse hand torn? My buddy just got one and what we're playin around with it.

It's conduction, so good contact is key. Keep it well cured (dry), medium to fine grind, lightly packed and let it 'heat soak' between hits and you'll get a good start.

If you want 'bigger clouds' do a search on "glass flowers" on this thread, lots of discussion of them. Including half a dozen or so mixed through the load will give thicker hits on less herb (for a shorter time of course).

Good unit, just don't jam it up. Pulling harder won't make more vapor, ironically less. A lot less. Sip it, and let it recover between hits, and it's gonna reward your efforts.

OF

Anaconda Gs

Vapor Adventures
Just a question which I know some of you can answer - what size/gauge & material are the DaVinci Ascent screens? If I buy a sheet of mosquito netting (metal? steel?) and cut it up - will that work?

UNRELATED EDIT: I've been looking at backups for the Ascent. Was sold on the Flowermate 5.0S mini but my grow store doesn't stock them. I came very close to buying an Air, but then I saw the Xvape Vital - for 70€. and took a chance on it (after a quick Internet search, - no great reviews but no shockers either) and was very impressed straight out of the box. The only other Vape I've ever used is the Ascent with the ceramic chamber and glass stems so I wasn't expecting a cool session with this one - the chamber is very close to the mouthpiece and the mouthpiece is hard plastic. But the chamber is ceramic, easy to load and @ 195°C (383°F) it didn't seem harsh at all. I think this is partly due to the air vents surrounding the chamber - the draw is easy and smooth, basically just breathing in. I see there are glass stems and a dinky water attachment available as accessories but I doubt I'll get those. The Vital is super stealthy, fits in the palm of the hand and could be mistaken for an asthma inhaler (but stylish). The airpath is separate from the electrics so no worries there. It has a non-removable battery and charges via usb port. It wasn't the Vape I set out to buy but for 70 bucks I think it'll be a fine secondary Vape.

I buy 1" stainless steel screens for $1 a pack of 5 at my local smoke shop and I cut it up to my desired size. Instead of buying the glass flowers, I just roll the screens to fill up the space since I had extra screens on hand.

OF

I buy 1" stainless steel screens for $1 a pack of 5 at my local smoke shop and I cut it up to my desired size. Instead of buying the glass flowers, I just roll the screens to fill up the space since I had extra screens on hand.

Have you actually tried the glass flowers (or to a lesser degree the factory glass spacer)? I have and IMO screens are just not the same thing. Even if they didn't bother the 'all glass vapor path' crowd to distraction.

The extra mass of glass in the bowl serves as a (much needed it turns out) heat reservoir in the load itself. If you hit hard enough the load temperature drops like the proverbial rock. Like from here:
95Muirb.jpg

To way below here (remember, I had to put it down, get the camera, frame the shot and so on):
ReTyLPE.jpg

You can actually pull the core temperature in the load down 100F or more. Even I can, and I'm no Ripper...... Cloud Chasers no doubt do this to at least part of their loads with every hit.

While we might expect solid vapor at 400F, not so at closer to 350, let alone 300. Notice that the unit still thinks it's fine at 400F (the sensor is in the center of the load, that's it sticking up out of the 'six o'clock hole in the bottom of the bowl:
VEM60ZH.jpg

There is a huge 'temperature drop' from the Ascent sensor to load. This is why you need to give it time to recover between hits (the heater, oven and sensor are happy, heater shut down, but the load itself is still cool/cold. Adding the glass mass, as a heat reservoir to support continued production after the hit starts, adds to the output even thoguh it reduces the actual amount of herb in the load (for fewer hits of course). Funny how that works out. Stainless Steel just doesn't do that function as well. Brass does better than SS, but has it's drawbacks. Glass seems to work best in the modest testing I did, although a bit of a pain to fish out of the ABV (not really difficult, but still harder than not putting anything but herb in.

A lot of owners have tried lots of stuff in there. I don't recall a single owner reporting trying the flowers and not finding them a true advantage. Although some find it 'more trouble than it's really worth', all report improvement in vapor production (with less herb) AFAIK. Please correct me, folks, if that's not true? TIA

Screens are useful, but I suggest you invest ten bucks in some flowers and try them before you dismiss the idea? Put several throughout the load and give it a full minute between hits to 'heat soak' the load and get it all up to magic temperature. Once you start the hit it's all going to cool off, it's just a matter of degrees (I love that pun....).

Your call, but I think you might be missing a bet?

Regards,

OF

BreeJay

Suggestions?

I have a wonky connector issue. The reseller is requesting a vid clip detailing the issue.

Currently, in order to get a charge its hit and miss. I never use more than 1 bar of power. I can plug it in, leave it overnight, and get no juice back. I'll then wiggle the plug/connector, leave it, then check back and see if that worked. Rinse and repeat as necessary.

How would you document this? Everything my Lyme addled brain comes up with requires many hours of shooting ( not even sure I have the capability to film that long ) and create a large file..............that would be uploaded through a 1mbps connection.

Thanks. :)

BreeJay,

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
If you have a bad contact it's either due to a faulty solder point or that the springy part in your female jack is bent somehow. For the latter it's easy to fix, for the former it's also easy in theory, but in practice it's a pain to disassemble the bottom of this device.

A third cause could be fault in the cable of your charger, happens often right next to the male jack due to stress. You could test that with a multimeter and jiggling the cable around to see if you get intermittent voltage or not. It's also a rather easy fix with a soldering iron and some heatshrink tubing.

OF

How would you document this? Everything my Lyme addled brain comes up with requires many hours of shooting ( not even sure I have the capability to film that long ) and create a large file..............that would be uploaded through a 1mbps connection.

Should be pretty easy with a video while you wiggle the connector?

As KZ so wisely suggests (doesn't he always?) there's a chance it's a cable issue, I'd direct my wiggling there?

Good luck.

OF

BreeJay

Should be pretty easy with a video while you wiggle the connector?

As KZ so wisely suggests (doesn't he always?) there's a chance it's a cable issue, I'd direct my wiggling there?

Good luck.

OF
Ahhh, see, thats why I ask stupid questions. A brain on lyme is no fun.

I guess my mind blanked as to just wiggling it on video. Maybe as I was trying to avoid making the matter worse. Yeah, wiggling it about causes all sorts of weirdness. Will be easy to get in a clip.

Man...........I swear to god I didn't use to be this thick.

Thanks OF.

Thanks KZ, I initially fixed this issue ( wouldn't charge at all ) by wiggling the male connector alone. That had me thinking it was likely the faulty sodder. I'll get a vid clip to the reseller than go from there.

Oh, and today I learned what a Multimeter is and how I can use it to check power supplies, chargers, etc. :)

OF

Ahhh, see, thats why I ask stupid questions.

Thanks OF.

You're welcome. But a favor please, don't call me stupid (even capitalized). Either 'why I ask FC', or maybe 'you guys', even 'OF' but I don't need the reminder of not being like the other kids........

Congrats on the new meter. Cool tool, lets you work with stuff you can't see (or hopefully feel). It can open up a whole new world to you, or ruin your life. Or both.

OF

Davinci_vaporizer

Clean First Technology
Manufacturer
Suggestions?

I have a wonky connector issue. The reseller is requesting a vid clip detailing the issue.

Currently, in order to get a charge its hit and miss. I never use more than 1 bar of power. I can plug it in, leave it overnight, and get no juice back. I'll then wiggle the plug/connector, leave it, then check back and see if that worked. Rinse and repeat as necessary.

Thanks. :)
Chargers and charging issues are covered under warranty. Have you contacted DaVinci Customer service about this issue yet?

You can email them at customerservice@davincivaporizer.com to open a service ticket.

Bad Ocelot

Solid post on the temp drops there OF. I'd assumed it would drop quite a bit but wouldn't have thought 100 degrees! That's crazy. I do let it heat back up a bit but may increase my wait times once I get mine back. Finally sent it off for servicing the other day.

Bad Ocelot,

OF

Solid post on the temp drops there OF. I'd assumed it would drop quite a bit but wouldn't have thought 100 degrees! That's crazy. I do let it heat back up a bit but may increase my wait times once I get mine back. Finally sent it off for servicing the other day.

Thanks. Definitely caught me by surprise as well. I even repeated it the next day with a fresh rig up

However, in Science you're supposed to follow your observations not opinions or assumptions. So after the 'WTF, over" moment I knew I was on the track. Then, once it finally sunk in that this was a conduction deal with very slow transfer, it was 'how do we counter this?'. A few trials with metal bits (SS wire cut in small pieces) added to the load and I was off to trying beads and stuff. Then came the understanding that the solution involved more surface area if we had to stick with glass as the heat reservoir...... The glass flowers were the last link in that.

Makes a huge difference, doesn't it? I don't recall a single case of 'I tried it, it doesn't work for me'. IMHO it made Ascent 'come alive' with the modified technique. More fixes in life should be this easy and effective.

Thanks again, good move on sending your unit in. When it comes back with a clean bill of health fun and games times start?

OF

Bad Ocelot

The glass flowers are great, and probably the cheapest vaporizer accessory i've purchased, ha. I wonder how a ceramic pie weight or two would perform? Might have to test that out when I get my ascent back.

Ricardo

Has anyone in EUROPE bought glass flowers/spacers? The links here are all for US suppliers - flowers cost $5, postage $20! Can't find anything on Amazon UK or EBay (from Europe). Thanks.

Ricardo,

Esmeralda

My Ascent arrived last week while I was out of town. Just now finally having a chance to load it up and try it out. So far, so good.
No weird tastes, a little bit of an odd smell but just like a rubber smell, not BURNING rubber, just rubber. Assuming that will dissipate. The taste is great so I am thrilled with that.
I don't want to vape too much right now because I have a ton of stuff to do, getting ready to move, but a couple of puffs tasted great!!

Top Bottom