Ascent Vaporizer by DaVinci

OF

I've heard wonderful things about the infamous Randy....

All true, no doubt.

In fact, I don't think he's real, really. That is there's no single guy named Randy. I think there's a team of Randys working in shifts.......no other way I can see to account for all the good deeds and amazing support we discuss here, let alone those poor souls who are lucky enough to buy from PIU but haven't yet found FC.

OF

Lutin malin

This should go away once the silicone buttons break in a bit.
Well, I'll teach you something about your own product then! ;-)
Turns out the keys are working fine in Fahrenheit mode. The Ascent keeps counting degrees in Fahrenheit, even when displaying temperature in Celsius.
That's why it takes (almost always) two presses to change 1 degree C.
Not so great eh?:\

The minus key tends to get stuck but I'm hoping it will break in as you say.

Cheers.

OF

Well, I'll teach you something about your own product then! ;-)

Sounds more like you're describing a failure to me.....unless you think this is common to all copies?

Such keys can (and do) 'act up' until junk trapped inside in making them gets moved out of the way but it sounds like this might not be the case here? Perhaps it's time for a trip to the shop?

In any event it has to work for you to enjoy it, sounds like that's happening, just in an annoying way?

Good luck with it.

OF

Amargi

Doin' shit, keepin' fit, and too legit to quit.
Awhile back, several folks here were discussing strategies to maximize battery life and performance.. it was a very informative conversation, and a couple of comments have been nagging at me, particularly over the last few days.

I have recently migrated back to a place that offers a climate markedly different than the Left Coast, and am curious as to how I ought to treat my Ascent in this frosty environment. I was unable to track down the quote I had in mind, but I believe it was @OF who stated something along the lines of "your battery doesn't like being charged while cold, and absolutely hates being charged while hot". Excuse my ignorance, but do the same principles apply to the actual operation of the device? I will be spending my time outdoors in a sub-0 climate and am concerned that firing up a frigid Ascent will- aside from taking more juice to warm up and operate- damage/diminish the unit's battery. Am I right to be concerned?

I will do some research at Batt-U, but if anyone here with knowledge on the subject feels like weighing in, I'd love to hear some of your musings.

Amargi,
Reactions: OF

OF

I was unable to track down the quote I had in mind, but I believe it was @OF who stated something along the lines of "your battery doesn't like being charged while cold, and absolutely hates being charged while hot".

I will do some research at Batt-U, but if anyone here with knowledge on the subject feels like weighing in, I'd love to hear some of your musings.

I don't recall saying that, low temperature doesn't come up often here, but I'll take the blame if it makes it easier.....

I'd go to Battery U just as you are, let us/me know if you strike out?

OF

OF,

OF

By the way if the device can do +/-1°F increment it should be more precise in °F than in °C as the range is larger... Not that it matters anyway... :)

Inside, where it actually counts, it's done in counts. Not degrees. That is the precision of the measurement scheme in binary. It just expresses it to us in terms we can understand. The range can be compressed so say it only senses 200F to 450 to save 'counts' in 1024 steps (a common binary number for such schemes). Or it can do it in 256 steps (also a common number) and either lie to you a bit or average several readings on a running basis to get a better number.

It's just a machine, programed to tell us what we want to see. A display function. In it's control function it's not working in C or F really. Just counts.

OF

Davinci_vaporizer

Clean First Technology
Manufacturer
Turns out the keys are working fine in Fahrenheit mode. The Ascent keeps counting degrees in Fahrenheit, even when displaying temperature in Celsius.
That's why it takes (almost always) two presses to change 1 degree C

No I think he's right. Been using mine in Celsius mode and indeed I thought it was using sub 1°C units internally.. which it is if it's counting in °F
Nice try boys, but the up and down buttons are programmed to go up and down one degree with each press. It has nothing to do with it raising degrees Fahrenheit until it reaches the appropriate Celsius temp. The button corresponds with the digit you see on the display and tells the heater what to do. What good would a button be if you had to press it several times for it to work out? Unfortunately, the silicone buttons stick and miss sometimes. Try a solid audible press and it should respond as expected.

Amargi

I don't recall saying that, low temperature doesn't come up often here, but I'll take the blame if it makes it easier.....

I'd go to Battery U just as you are, let us/me know if you strike out?

OF

I absolutely hate a misquote. My fault for being lazy.. After doing some serious digging through the thread to track it down, I came up empty. Thanks for taking it on the chin! I found the info I was looking for here: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_at_high_and_low_temperatures .

Basically, Li-ion batteries are capable of operating properly between -20°C and 60°C (-4 to 140°F), and can be charged in the temperature range of 0°C and 45°C (32° to 113°F).

As far as I understand, the Ascent should be able to operate below freezing without issue, but it is both ineffective and detrimental to charge it below 0°C/32°F.

@OF- apologies for the mis-attribution earlier; considering the "advice" was correct, take it as a compliment. I'll look into getting you an honorary degree from Battery University for all your hard work on the FC forums!

Last edited:

OF

I absolutely hate a misquote. My fault for being lazy.. After doing some serious digging through the thread to track it down, I came up empty. Thanks for taking it on the chin! I found the info I was looking for here: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_at_high_and_low_temperatures .

@OF- apologies for the mis-attribution earlier; considering the "advice" was correct, consider it a compliment. I'll look into getting you an honorary degree from Battery University for all your hard work on the FC forums!

Thanks for the reference, sounds familiar, I probably read it in a former life.

Not to worry, it was a guess on your part and I wasn't sure you weren't right.....might still be. Since I'm so often guilty of such stuff, it's a logical and easily defended estimate.....

Thanks again, hopefully if being out in weather sane men avoid comes up I'll at least remember where the information is.

Merry Christmas to us all, and those we choose to share life with.

OF

Lutin malin

Try a solid audible press and it should respond as expected.
Experiment protocol:
Start temp: 125deg C. / 258deg F
50 presses on (+) in Celsius mode. Temp: 153 deg C / 308deg F
Start temp: 125deg C. / 258deg F
50 presses on (+) in Fahrenheit mode. Temp: 153 deg C / 308 deg F.

50 presses, 50 degrees. Twice.
Responds exactly as expected... in Fahrenheit degrees.

Time to have a chat with your programmer? :lol:

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I'm not sure if Puffitup is selling the Ascent. I haven't been able to find it on their website. They are selling the original Davinci portable vaporizer. I checked a few weeks ago and just checked now. I didn't try to order just was looking to see if they carried it currently.

KidFated.

Unknown Member
I'm not sure if Puffitup is selling the Ascent. I haven't been able to find it on their website. They are selling the original Davinci portable vaporizer. I checked a few weeks ago and just checked now. I didn't try to order just was looking to see if they carried it currently.
It's still there :tup:

KidFated.,
Reactions: CarolKing

Hjalmark

Oldest boy alive
Anyone here know if people have modded the Ascent to be able to replace battery on the go ?

just wanna here some experience stories as I am about to take my ascent inner workings and move them over to a wooden body, just wanted to see if anyone else here had modded theirs

I got two broken one and Davinci cheated me out of the warrant for the second one, then I ended up taking one apart to look at design and learn the inner workings, the other one was just taken apart enough to fix the problem but then got told by Davinci that I had totally lost any change of getting the 3 replacement because I tinkered with their device (fucking venture capital inspired bullshit thinking)

funny enough one was early model and my replacement model with newer with swing stop nob on the side and "redesign" power jack so I just re-soldered and used epoxy to create an ACTUAL SUPPORT for the power jack so I am able to charge again an keep batteries good until the oven, battery and electronics get a new home in something less ... plastic

when I say davinci cheated me out of the warrant is because I told them I was not very comfortable mailing the vape to USA because customs and it been heavily used, they told me I could just trade in my warrant for a new vape after sending various videos of me using it with different chargers, I had no other option then saying yes because if I send it back for "money back" then I would already loss half of the money in shipping and customs, after the replacement model died 6 months later I just took it apart to fix because that is what I do, after seeing how insultingly bad the power jack fix had been I tried requested my money back from the Davinci/organicix but got told A) send back vape b) not have tried to fix it

Sorry about the warm shit in the end but I had to explain why I said what I said ... now back to the point, has anyone here modded their ascents in anyway ?

OF

Anyone here know if people have modded the Ascent to be able to replace battery on the go ?

As far as I know, no, nobody has posted about it on this thread (and I've read all the posts). If you search on "battery replacement" for this thread there are only 12 such posts out of 8700 and IMO only 3 of those really relate IMO:
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/ascent-vaporizer-by-davinci.9885/page-76#post-446013

links to some other forum about simple replacement (not a modification) and warns messing with it will blow your warranty and suggests sending it in or abandoning it if the costs are higher than replacement.

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/ascent-vaporizer-by-davinci.9885/page-309#post-742150

Says 'the assembled experts say it's a bad idea and will void the warranty.

The very next post, from the maker,:
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/ascent-vaporizer-by-davinci.9885/page-309#post-742199

says the idea was considered and abandoned as not being possible due to the unique nature of the battery configuration. He didn't say it'd blow the warranty by opening up the case but basically said 'it's a bad idea'. Instead they later offered a very attractive 'fixed cost' replacement. I get it that in your case that means extra shipping costs and all but don't think they're responsible for where you took it to. If it shows up at their shop I'm sure it gets treated like any other. A very common policy across many products in many industries I think. If I choose to own a British car (and I have owned at least one for many years) I expect it to cost me more to buy parts for and get serviced. I'm sure in the UK that would be less costly.

Good luck with your project, but it seems you're very much on your own.

OF

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
I'm in the process of mod'ing my two FM8's because of... too much plastic and smelly things. We can exchange ideas and tips via PM if you want, as it's basically the same vape concept down to the telescoping stems and swiveling lid.

Hjalmark

Oldest boy alive
I'm in the process of mod'ing my two FM8's because of... too much plastic and smelly things. We can exchange ideas and tips via PM if you want, as it's basically the same vape concept down to the telescoping stems and swiveling lid.

yeah totally !

my plan was using a stainless steel pipe to house the stem instead of the plastic path way in the body, use natural clay for housing the oven inside its wooden swing part + the insulation that came with, I am keeping the silicon fittings because they are perfect to cut down to size to fit my design.

I can post pictures when I am done but I got .. 2 project I am half way through and going to finish first, I am also thinking about adding a little glass tube to extant the "convection" part of the vaporizer from 1 cm to maybe 3 cm so it has an easier time of pre heating the air

right now I cant go camping and I just bought a Epic vape - Enano so I been very happy with my first "plug in vape" so I am just going to this one slow and steady because the modded ascent might become an actual portable vaporizer that I can take camping for a long time instead of just day trips

but judging how the components are laid out in the Ascent it seams like people would just need some basic tooling experience, wood working and be able to solder if they wanna move it into a new body but be aware this is not designed to be taken apart

Last edited:

Davinci_vaporizer

Clean First Technology
Manufacturer
Time to have a chat with your programmer? :lol:
Yeah definitely, I'm on it. :goon:

The Ascent was designed to never be able to replace the batteries. The reason for this is because there are two batteries and if the customer doesn't charge them outside the unit properly (always die and charge together at the same voltages) then they could damage their batteries. There are also some amp limits needed to be hit in order to safely power the bowl.

You can probably pull of taking the internals out and putting it in a wood shell. I wold love to see photos and the process of that when you're finished.

says the idea was considered and abandoned as not being possible due to the unique nature of the battery configuration.
The batteries have power cables soldered to them, not an electrode and spring set up so on the go replacement without a complete self redesign is indeed not possible.

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
We managed to resolder the cell of one of my Herbstick Deluxe samples a couple weeks ago with a friend. It's do-able but considering the risks involved I wouldn't dare to recommend it to anyone not 100% sure about what they are doing and their soldering skills. Not only can you easily damage the cell, but you could also blow your hand and set your house on fire!

KeroZen,
Reactions: OF

Hjalmark

Oldest boy alive
Don’t attack products or companies. You can post your opinion, and you can criticize, but posts written to offend are not allowed. Warning point issued.
Yeah definitely, I'm on it. :goon:

The Ascent was designed to never be able to replace the batteries. The reason for this is because there are two batteries and if the customer doesn't charge them outside the unit properly (always die and charge together at the same voltages) then they could damage their batteries. There are also some amp limits needed to be hit in order to safely power the bowl.

You can probably pull of taking the internals out and putting it in a wood shell. I wold love to see photos and the process of that when you're finished.

The batteries have power cables soldered to them, not an electrode and spring set up so on the go replacement without a complete self redesign is indeed not possible.

I have an electric engineer that is helping me but my post of the modification would be mostly hateful towards Davinci design

BUY A FLOWERMATE ! same fucking plastic quality

(I re worded some stuff because I was in a hurry this morning, I was just warning the Davinci shill that I would not be saying anything positive about the design and I got flagged for that)

I switch "will" for "would" and added "design" behind Davinci :p

Last edited:
Hjalmark,

Hjalmark

Oldest boy alive
Public discussions of staff decisions are not permitted on the site. If you have any concerns or queries relating to a staff decision please take it up in private with a staff member. If you don’t like the rules or the moderation, feel free not to visi
"Hi Hjalmark,

Your message (Ascent Vaporizer by DaVinci) is in disagreement with the forum rules, specifically:

• Don’t attack products or companies. You can post your opinion, and you can criticize, but posts written to offend are not allowed.

A warning point has been automatically added to your account in accordance with our warning system. Please take a moment to review the forum rules and be careful to abide by them in the future. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns.

Thank you for your cooperation from the FC forum staff."

Is there anywhere I can complain about COMPANIES being abusive towards their customers or is this just a one big corporation dick tugging contest ?

Remind me not to complain about a product again on this forum or I will get "exterminated"

FASCISTS !

Hjalmark,

WakeAndVape

VapeLife X
58195632.jpg

Davinci_vaporizer

Clean First Technology
Manufacturer
We managed to resolder the cell of one of my Herbstick Deluxe samples a couple weeks ago with a friend. It's do-able but considering the risks involved I wouldn't dare to recommend it to anyone not 100% sure about what they are doing and their soldering skills.

I agree. The question was whether or not the batteries could be replaced on the go though, and without significant design changes that can't be done. Soldering two batteries into a new shell is easy for someone with the skill set but to redesign everything in order to have two replaceable batteries using our board would be difficult.

I have an electric engineer that is helping me but my post of the modification would be mostly hateful towards Davinci design
You can post the modifications. I would actually love to see it, especially if it's hateful towards our design. If you have ideas to improve it then why not share?

Amargi

I agree. The question was whether or not the batteries could be replaced on the go though, and without significant design changes that can't be done. Soldering two batteries into a new shell is easy for someone with the skill set but to redesign everything in order to have two replaceable batteries using our board would be difficult.

You can post the modifications. I would actually love to see it, especially if it's hateful towards our design. If you have ideas to improve it then why not share?

Agreed. Critiquing a design and then being inspired to improve on it is how innovation is driven. I would love to see some modifications posted, even if they were purely academic.

Honestly though, given the tone surrounding the announcement of these supposed modifications, I'm not expecting much. However, as is often the case I look forward to being proven wrong!

@Hjalmark - I am intrigued by your wood/clay proposal, and your hopes to make the modded unit more conducive for multi-day camping trips.. Please keep us posted! Keep in mind that in a battle of ideas, there is no room for ad hominem attacks; the ideas speak for themselves based on their own merit, and it sounds like you have some solid plans underway. Good luck!

Last edited:
Top Bottom