Ascent Vaporizer by DaVinci

Davinci_vaporizer

Clean First Technology
Manufacturer
Thanks, OF.

As a caveat I should be clear that when I ask about the "ideal/proper/best" way to use a technique, I understand that I am soliciting opinions and am not expecting a definitive, one-size-fits-all answer. I am very interested in learning what other Vapers have tried, enjoyed or hated; at the very least, this will provide some deeper context for future discussion.

I will continue to experiment on my own, and will be sure to post any relevant insights that arise during this process.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, and please pardon my initial exuberance- these experiences/experiments may be old hat to those of you who have been around for awhile, but it is a new and exciting arena for this guy!
I prefer filling the chamber just over half way, perhaps even three quarters full, then putting a spacer in holes side down and packing it really tight. Great vapor production and just the right size load for me.

sickmanfraud

I have a suggestion for @DAVINCI.

Since at this time there seems to be more issues with Shipping and customer service than with manufacturing perhaps DV has someone from Nevada on this thread too.

sickmanfraud,
Reactions: OF

OF

I have a suggestion for @DAVINCI.

Since at this time there seems to be more issues with Shipping and customer service than with manufacturing perhaps DV has someone from Nevada on this thread too.

I disagree. This Forum is not intended to resolve such things, there are other/better venues for that. We, as a group, have a very sad history of being very very rude to such folks which is why so very few makers are willing to take the time/expense/exposure? We have run many very helpful (from a technical POV) representatives off. In the case of one (Iolite) we've done this several times. You can count on a few fingers the number that have anyone here to help us in any measure.

Not pointing fingers at anyone, of course, but that's the history and my 'take' on it. As so often happens while most would not abuse it some can't resist the urge to use the 'bully pulpit' I think?

I, myself, am very glad DV has a presence here, wish more makers did, and think such problems should be worked out offline.....that's not the sort of things this Forum is intended to discuss?

OF

Amargi

Doin' shit, keepin' fit, and too legit to quit.
I can see it being difficult for a manufacturer to take part in a forum discussion.. when customers are feeling jilted or frustrated, the temptation to air a grievance is quite high. A helpful manufacturer could spend a lot of time deflecting criticism and re-dressing concerns, rather than fielding technical questions or participating in broader discussion. From time to time this is clearly best practice, but I would hate to see them leave due to the forum becoming an extension of a Customer Service program.

In my experience it is uncommon to have such candid access to a company representative, and I appreciate the opportunity- especially given that our resident rep is from the manufacturing side of things! These folks are usually several people removed from interacting with the public.

OF

In my experience it is uncommon to have such candid access to a company representative, and I appreciate the opportunity- especially given that our resident rep is from the manufacturing side of things! These folks are usually several people removed from interacting with the public.

Amen on that. All too likely to kill the proverbial gold egg laying goose?

I also agree, we're blessed by a real live 'shirt sleeves rolled up' kinda guy. More so one that has proven to be quite candid with us from time to time, well past what many/most 'suits' would tolerate. Nice to have the boss 8 or more time zones away......

OF

Davinci_vaporizer

Clean First Technology
Manufacturer
If anyone has any issues, it's best to just private message me some contact information and customer service definitely takes things more seriously when issues are passed on from FC. If we had a customer service representative running the FC account, I feel that the extra attention and immediacy would be lost. That being said, we do have someone in the Vegas office that gets the email notifications while I actually have to check FC to see what's going on. If there are pressing issues, it goes to customer service often times before I even see it.

This Forum is not intended to resolve such things, there are other/better venues for that. We, as a group, have a very sad history of being very very rude to such folks which is why so very few makers are willing to take the time/expense/exposure?
I agree. People generally don't come here for customer service issues and unfortunately if they have a bad experience it ends up here anyways. Lately though it seems people have been saying great things about the team and have just been upset about the timeliness in which their issues were resolved. We're all here to listen to the customers venting and believe me when I say the guys back home take things personally when mentioned on FC. If we can maintain a happy medium where people can come here to talk about vaporizing and experiences with our service than in my opinion we are doing a good job. Customer service issues should be kept private though, and not on the forum.

I can see it being difficult for a manufacturer to take part in a forum discussion.. when customers are feeling jilted or frustrated, the temptation to air a grievance is quite high.
It's not as difficult as you would think, thanks to the awesome group of people in this thread. I can't tell you how many times I've been reading through the thread and prepared answers for people and as I continue reading, I see that our loyal vapers here have already answered the questions. This allows me to just focus on the important things like technical questions and relaying the issues that need to be sent over to the US team. I think we have a pretty good balance here these days!

sickmanfraud

I disagree. This Forum is not intended to resolve such things, there are other/better venues for that. We, as a group, have a very sad history of being very very rude to such folks which is why so very few makers are willing to take the time/expense/exposure? We have run many very helpful (from a technical POV) representatives off. In the case of one (Iolite) we've done this several times. You can count on a few fingers the number that have anyone here to help us in any measure.

Not pointing fingers at anyone, of course, but that's the history and my 'take' on it. As so often happens while most would not abuse it some can't resist the urge to use the 'bully pulpit' I think?

I, myself, am very glad DV has a presence here, wish more makers did, and think such problems should be worked out offline.....that's not the sort of things this Forum is intended to discuss?

OF

Sorry, was just trying to help out, but I see your point.

OF

We're all here to listen to the customers venting and believe me when I say the guys back home take things personally when mentioned on FC. If we can maintain a happy medium where people can come here to talk about vaporizing and experiences with our service than in my opinion we are doing a good job. Customer service issues should be kept private though, and not on the forum.

While I agree for the most part, I take exception to "We're all here to listen to the customers venting" depending on who "we" are? If "we" is the DV Team, that's interesting and gratifying to some extent. The idea that 'everyone' is reading FC to get the real story on customer feedback first hand' is cool for sure. Given that most of us don't use our real name here, it's not logical to think 'they' are trying to match up fake names here with hardware needing service or questions that need answering. There are better ways for that.

If, OTOH, "we" are the Forum Members, and "here" is this very Forum, I disagree. IMO very very few Members come to our Forum come to hear others "vent". Perspective in such cases is very difficult?

We definitely agree that CS issues belong in more effective (off line) channels, but as long as some see negative posts here to be to their advantage it's likely to keep happening. Tough nut. Understandable, but not desirable?

In the bigger picture, youse guys are doin' fine......keep up the good work! A good product keeps getting better, sadly not so common.

OF

Davinci_vaporizer

Clean First Technology
Manufacturer
I would not reccomend to pack the bowl down tightly with a spacer or one of the glass oil containers because the ceramic bowl will begin to move inside the housing after some time!
I have yet to experience this but have heard of some people experiencing these issues. If you're packing the bowl so tightly that you're moving the insulation, then that is waaaayyy too much pressure. Be gentle, these are glass parts. We actually have ~6mm of insulation wrapped around the bowl packed down into a ~4mm cavity so its super compressed. Shouldn't move at all without a great amount of force.

If, OTOH, "we" are the Forum Members, and "here" is this very Forum, I disagree. IMO very very few Members come to our Forum come to hear others "vent". Perspective in such cases is very difficult?

I just meant that all of us here in this thread empathize with those who come with issues either with faulty units or service issues. You can always find a shoulder to cry on here, if not from the community then I'm here for that and also to help resolve it.

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
I must say every time I re-configure the way I use my Ascent, I am mightily impressed.

I just used 4 of my newly purchased glass pipe flowers with an official glass spacer and wow, what a difference.

Thanks to those who recommended these, they are a must have to really get the best out of the Ascent with a small amount of herb. :tup:

OF

I must say every time I re-configure the way I use my Ascent, I am mightily impressed.

I just used 4 of my newly purchased glass pipe flowers with an official glass spacer and wow, what a difference.

Thanks to those who recommended these, they are a must have to really get the best out of the Ascent with a small amount of herb. :tup:

Yup, while some techniques are better than others, none are really bad? And what is best is pretty personal/subjective.

I think the flowers have the edge on flat out performance, but the spacers are sure easier to use.

My personal favorite load, although kind of 'fiddly', is two flowers on their sides in the bottom, a layer of herb with 3 more on their sides above that covered by the final layer of herb. Then two more flowers (now 7 total) 'thumbtack style'. That is stems poked down into the load between the other flowers (takes a bit of a wiggle sometimes to get past glass). You need fine grind to fill all the small spaces between the flowers, but that's pretty easy to do. A 'club sandwich' of a sort, with glass flowers instead of toast. This puts the modest load of herb in as intimate contact with glass as practical and the 'heads' of the top two tend to keep the four holes in the stem from fouling as fast.

I dump the spent load and flowers into a mint tin while still hot then shake/poke them around in the tin with the toothpick I keep in the tin while still warm so nothing much sticks. By then they've cooled enough to reload.

The key is to experiment with techniques to find what best 'fits your pistol'.

OF

Hubs88

Feeling The Buzz
This is the latest installment of my ongoing quest to make the Ascent more user friendly. In post #8429 I showed how removing the ends of the glass screen will improve air flow and reduce maintenance. Not satisfied with leaving well enough alone I did away entirely with the glass screen and replaced it with a Haze V3 ss mp. If you don't want to modify your glass this is a great way to make your Ascent easier to use. I could have used the Haze glass mp to keep the all glass pathway but thought the unbreakable ss mp a better choice. The first photo shows how the Haze stem compares in size to the Ascent glass and the others are the mp and the ss flange seated in place. It's a perfect fit and this is a plug & play mod.

4CIcv8A.jpg

mkas7Tn.jpg

OdWGTuR.jpg

No, it's very real. I did experiments demonstrating as much and LOTS of your fellow Members have reported positive results. No mass hysteria or delusions here. It costs under five bucks to try and see for yourself......

Just got the flowers yesterday and only one session so "stoner logic" is still a wild card. Can't say I'm getting more vapor but I'm using less bud so that's good. :)

Davinci_vaporizer

Clean First Technology
Manufacturer
This is the latest installment of my ongoing quest to make the Ascent more user friendly. In post #8429 I showed how removing the ends of the glass screen will improve air flow and reduce maintenance. Not satisfied with leaving well enough alone I did away entirely with the glass screen and replaced it with a Haze V3 ss mp. If you don't want to modify your glass this is a great way to make your Ascent easier to use. I could have used the Haze glass mp to keep the all glass pathway but thought the unbreakable ss mp a better choice. The first photo shows how the Haze stem compares in size to the Ascent glass and the others are the mp and the ss flange seated in place. It's a perfect fit and this is a plug & play mod.

4CIcv8A.jpg

mkas7Tn.jpg

OdWGTuR.jpg

Just got the flowers yesterday and only one session so "stoner logic" is still a wild card. Can't say I'm getting more vapor but I'm using less bud so that's good. :)
That's awesome! Do you have any idea what the inner diameter of that stem is? Do you not find any problems with particulates coming up the air path? Also, what about heat transfer differences? Finally, you mentioned you just received the flowers, but are you using a spacer?

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
@OF I have done that also, layering herb and flowers, but I find I'm not really getting a longer session and seem to be simply using more herb.

As @Hubs88 says, it can seem like you aren't getting that much more vapour either, especially if you are comparing it to a Solo.

However,for me I have found if you stick a glass spacer in the bottom (hole side up) to take up half the oven space, then layer herb, flowers, herb, flowers, I have found you get an OK amount of vapour, but more importantly use bugger all herb and get a full on hit.

I filled using the spacer & flowers method when I went to see Ed Byrne on Friday. I popped outside during the mid session interval, hit the Ascent for @ 5 mins while blowing satisfying clouds into the moonlight.

It was when I got back to my seat, after about 3 minutes, I could feel the grin spreading across my face, a very intense hit from such a tiny pinch of herb.

OK, like you say it's a faff to load, but definitely worth it.

OF

@OF I have done that also, layering herb and flowers, but I find I'm not really getting a longer session and seem to be simply using more herb.

I'm sorry, seems I left you with the wrong impression somehow. For sure not longer sessions, in fact shorter but more intense ones is what I should have conveyed. No magic, can't get more out than you put in, but the heat reservoir in the glass distributed through the load supports 'thicker' hits.

If you want longer sessions, try a bit of bubble hash in the center of the load. Fasten your seat belt first, of course.

OF

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
No need to apologise, I can often get the wrong end of the stick.

Unfortunately so far I have not enjoyed hash in my vape :(

I used to love a good bit of hash when I combusted, I'd take a quality bit of hash over weed any day of the week.

It just doesn't taste the same in a vape and to me is like vaping sand / dirt?

So it's good I have found a way to make the Ascent affordable for me to run, because its oven is huge when you have to fill it with UK street price skunk!

When I use the additional glass paraphernalia, I can get a good session with a mate outside the pub and warm our hands to boot, great little device!

OF

It just doesn't taste the same in a vape and to me is like vaping sand / dirt?

So it's good I have found a way to make the Ascent affordable for me to run, because its oven is huge when you have to fill it with UK street price skunk!

I get that for sure. We're blessed with excellent, legal concentrates, but I do know 'traditional hashes' from the old days here where the black market was it. Please note I said 'bubble hash', the stuff that is sieved from wash water. Nearly pure trichomes.......'the best of the plant' if you will. I've had bubble and the same top shelf herb, it's the real deal if you can get it.....and it was 'done right'.

But if the guy on the corner doesn't have it, that ends that idea.

OF

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
Pure trichomes, bubble hash, shatter, BHO, concentrates... you people make me sick :rant:... with ENVY!

Bah bloody humbug! Oh well, until our country gets with the 21st century and offers the wonderful array of products you guys seem to have, simple flower will have to suffice.

The Ascent does a decent job with pure flower once you get to grips with it and find your perfect way to load it. :rockon:

Hubs88

Feeling The Buzz
That's awesome! Do you have any idea what the inner diameter of that stem is? Do you not find any problems with particulates coming up the air path? Also, what about heat transfer differences? Finally, you mentioned you just received the flowers, but are you using a spacer?
I didn't measure the inside bore but it's very close to the Ascent glass. Maybe just a little smaller but nothing to restrict air flow. It's a fairly hefty piece of ss and I thought maybe I'd get cooler hits but so far it seems to be the same. In post #8429 there is a photo of the ss screen I press fit into the chamber to keep the load in place and particulates out of the air path. The glass flowers are a bit disappointing. Smaller than I expected and fragile enough to make me look through the abv for broken pieces. I understand what @OF is saying about heat retention and surface area so I'll keep experimenting. No I'm not using spacers but if you want to send me some I'll gladly test them out. I'm always up for using less weed.

Love my Ascent... Up, Up, And Away.

Davinci_vaporizer

Clean First Technology
Manufacturer
I didn't measure the inside bore but it's very close to the Ascent glass. Maybe just a little smaller but nothing to restrict air flow. It's a fairly hefty piece of ss and I thought maybe I'd get cooler hits but so far it seems to be the same. In post #8429 there is a photo of the ss screen I press fit into the chamber to keep the load in place and particulates out of the air path. The glass flowers are a bit disappointing. Smaller than I expected and fragile enough to make me look through the abv for broken pieces. I understand what @OF is saying about heat retention and surface area so I'll keep experimenting. No I'm not using spacers but if you want to send me some I'll gladly test them out. I'm always up for using less weed.

Love my Ascent... Up, Up, And Away.
OK so you are using a screen of some sorts. I was wondering how you were using that wide open air path and not getting any particulates in your mouth.

Lutin malin

Sup guys!
Got a parcel from DaVinci today, so I'm giving the promised update regarding the Ascent purchased off DHGate that was kinda DOA (page 344 OTT), suspected counterfeit.
The CSR didn't tell me anything regarding the authenticity of my unit.
I'm overall satisfied but there are pros and cons, as you'll see:
- Didn't get my unit back, got a new unit.
- Got a new model (serial number starts with 3).
It's nothing like my previous unit which was full of defects. I'm thinking my unit was either a counterfeit, either an "illegal" assembled from defect parts (misprinted Ascent logo at the back, ceramic bowl without glass, black panels too small...)
I assume they kept my unit to track down its origin, authentic or not.
I notice that the bowl swivelling has two "notches", maybe that's a difference between 2nd and 3rd series...
- Sent my unit on Nov. 12th, got it back on Dec. 15th, when the CSR said I should wait 5-10 business days after they receive it to get it back, repaired or replaced. Didn't get a word from the CSR until the tracking number came in on Friday.
- Didn't get any free accs... not very cool for a month-long DOA, but I still got new default glassware and accessories.
- I need to press + and - keys twice most of the time :\ I just pressed [-] 18 times to lower 10 degrees. Not enough for me to send it back for service...just enough to be annoying and make me want to disassemble it myself. :science: I love disassembling stuff, don't pay attention. :p
Also a minor cosmetic defect, but so minor compared to what I've seen before :rolleyes: Very slight misalignment of the metal frame around the mouthpiece.
So I won't say, like most of you, that DaVinci's customer service is great... I've seen much much better, but I still got an Ascent for about half the price, so I can't complain.
And now, time for some floral experimentation :sherlock::lol:

For those who would be tempted to purchase it off DHGate, I can't recommend it. Authentic or not, the unit was crap, unusable, and DHGate is not an "authorized seller" so the warranty is not included. I just happened to be lucky (noisy?) enough to get the warranty.
I've read a few negative reviews about this dishonest seller in the meantime also, saying he asks you to ship back the unit and says the package got lost, or sends another DOA, etc.

Cheers!

Davinci_vaporizer

Clean First Technology
Manufacturer
Top Bottom