Ascent Vaporizer by DaVinci

sickmanfraud

@OF Still no word from the US side on the unit you sent in, but that definitely is a curious case.. However, we have discovered a fake Ascent. We will be posting pictures on the major and obvious differences after the holiday weekend for you guys. But as @cornwalis said one of the biggest giveaways is in the fake there is no bump where the temperature sensor goes inside the bowl. We have photos of the PCB and our engineer here in the factory said its not safe, especially without knowing how the temperature control system works in this clone.

If you want real product and a solid warranty, please avoid 3rd party sellers completely.

I'll make sure you get a 14mm straight tool ASAP.

Considering the sale you guys have now why would anyone take a chance for what turns out to be a few dollars?

OF

Considering the sale you guys have now why would anyone take a chance for what turns out to be a few dollars?

Good point, provided it's the end user making the purchase? I fear some profit happy LHS owner or dealer will see this as a way of making even more money by representing it as genuine to unsuspecting customers? Such people are likely to buy a larger number and everyone of those is destined for the hands of some innocent sucker. Bad karma.

OF

BreeJay

Mind you, I never had any issues with the vapor production of the Ascent, but I decided it might be worth checking out some glass flowers as they are so often recommended. Have to say I was taken aback at how much more vapor is produced with using the flowers. The difference is significant.

So, thanks to those who continually recommend the flowers. It changed the Ascent from a vape I like, to a vape I love.

OF

So, thanks to those who continually recommend the flowers. It changed the Ascent from a vape I like, to a vape I love.

You're welcome, glad you 'took the plunge'. FWIW I don't recall a single 'I tried it and got no useful improvement' post? Now too can be a happy user encouraging the next owners?

IMO the glass spacers are easier, and a useful improvement, but the flowers offer more control and range (at an increase of 'fiddling' in loading of course). Nice to have such choices.

Thanks for the feedback.

OF

Hubs88

Feeling The Buzz
The difference is significant.
With the flowers is the ABV any darker than before? Where is the extra vapor coming from?

I use an Ascent and like the large oven it has. I keep filling it without emptying the ABV several times a night and get tasty hits with vapor and effect. The ABV is very dark when I'm done but I can still eat it and get a buzz. As an experiment I was going to break up one of the oil jars and use the pieces like flowers to see if there is any difference. I do try to keep my vaping as simple as possible but if this makes more/better vapor I may add it to my sessions. I just don't understand how it can make it better. Could be just "stoner logic", we'll see.

BreeJay

You're welcome, glad you 'took the plunge'. FWIW I don't recall a single 'I tried it and got no useful improvement' post? Now too can be a happy user encouraging the next owners?

IMO the glass spacers are easier, and a useful improvement, but the flowers offer more control and range (at an increase of 'fiddling' in loading of course). Nice to have such choices.

Thanks for the feedback.

OF
I've never had a problem recommending the Ascent in the past............though I did get downvoted to hell on reddit when I once made the 'mistake' of standing up for the Ascent. Never understood the flack it takes from some. But then again, every vaporizer I own has been trashed at some point. Save for the Aromed.............not enough folks know about it for that it seems.

At some point, I'll likely get the spacers.

I lurk lots, post little. FC is a gold mine of information. Frequent contributors such as yourself have gone along way in expanding my knowledge. Even if this is the first time I have acknowledged, I've certainly always appreciated it. :)

With the flowers is the ABV any darker than before? Where is the extra vapor coming from?

I use an Ascent and like the large oven it has. I keep filling it without emptying the ABV several times a night and get tasty hits with vapor and effect. The ABV is very dark when I'm done but I can still eat it and get a buzz. As an experiment I was going to break up one of the oil jars and use the pieces like flowers to see if there is any difference. I do try to keep my vaping as simple as possible but if this makes more/better vapor I may add it to my sessions. I just don't understand how it can make it better. Could be just "stoner logic", we'll see.
As I understand it, it better distributes the heat, resulting in more and thicker vapor.

My ABV was always dark before..............but I had to stir the bowl several times in order to get everything out of it. With the flowers, I find no need for stirring at all.

Mind you, I'm not the best person to ask about this. My experience with the flowers is negligible in comparison with other here.

Last edited by a moderator:

OF

No darker, that's mostly determined by heat setting, but it gets darker faster (less hits) and more uniformly. That means fewer but 'thicker' hits. Some folks like denser clouds it seems? The vapor comes of course from THC in the load (which is now smaller in fact since the glass flowers take up 'weed space') but it happens because extra heat stored the added mass of the glass contributes. Tests I posted a while back confirm that after the hit starts heat in the load very rapidly drops, as much as 100F, the glass flowers forestall that.

As an experiment I was going to break up one of the oil jars and use the pieces like flowers to see if there is any difference.

Try broken glass if you wish, but remember glass shards are EXTREMELY DANGEROUS to inhale. And, since the mass is low so will the effect be. The flowers, in addition to being solid and tough (hey, they're designed for just this use.....) also have lots of surface area to transfer the heat through. That's very important since it's a conduction vape.

Could be just "stoner logic", we'll see.

No, it's very real. I did experiments demonstrating as much and LOTS of your fellow Members have reported positive results. No mass hysteria or delusions here. It costs under five bucks to try and see for yourself.......

http://www.amazon.com/Glass-Screen-Daisy-Assorted-Colors/dp/B008Y9PNAQ/ref=pd_sim_236_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=31ZmQQZcwyL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=0H6KTMR7VJYPAFPAMXQ6

I've never had a problem recommending the Ascent in the past............though I did get downvoted to hell on reddit when I once made the 'mistake' of standing up for the Ascent. Never understood the flack it takes from some. :)

Yep, that's the sort of stuff I've heard about them and 'lesser forums' all right. FC is 'a cut above' in many ways. Experience in other forums has prevented me from venturing there, I know what sort of silliness to expect woven through what useful information might be there.

In a way I think saying something positive about your vape is like kicking the other fellows dog. He has to slam your opinions to justify/recover? Whatever drives it, I'm happy it's there and not here.

Glad you got through it and grabbed the brass ring......or in this case, Ascent.

OF

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
@Treeburner your asking this question really should have been done via pm. But since DV responded to you in this thread, I can see where you might think otherwise.

That said, your tone borders on bashing..... And we will not be having any more of that in this thread.

Treeburner

@Treeburner your asking this question really should have been done via pm. But since DV responded to you in this thread, I can see where you might think otherwise.

That said, your tone borders on bashing..... And we will not be having any more of that in this thread.

The Davinci rep said in this thread for all to see that they would get the straight adapter to me quickly - don't see how it's bashing to point out to the same people that they are still not following through on their promises. It's not like I just randomly posted again that they still hadn't delivered, it was in response to their PUBLIC comment. If you censor all negative comments no one will trust the remainder as they'd be obviously censored/biased.

-Treeburner

Treeburner,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
@Treeburner we have a rule here:

• Public discussions of staff decisions are not permitted on the site. If you have any concerns or queries relating to a staff decision please take it up in private with a staff member.
I'm feeling particularly generous today so I wont issue you a point. Please take any further comments about this to pm.

So I was going to wait until after I recieved my rma ascent to write a company review but seeing as I have been repeatedly told that my vaporizer would be shipped yet Im still sitting here burning joints, coughing up the nasty I feel that now is a good a time as any. Ill keep it short and to the point.

All in all talking and chatting with the customer service persons was a pleasant experience. They are nice people. Simple as that.

Here is where the high fives stop.

I have been told both on the phone and online repeatedly that my vaporizer would be shipped first thing tomorrow but as it turns out there are an infinite number of tomorrow's for which I had not before taken into consideration.

Oh wait they did ship it out, except they shiped it to the wrong address in the wrong state.

So, again well ship your vaporizer well not yours it will be somebody elses vaporizer that has been dropped and drooled into. For the record I took meticulous care of my ascent but whatever I can feel my body rejecting the smoke from these joints just get me a vape asap.

Now two days later and nothing, nadda, zilch, zero. When I spend over $500 on a company over a multi year period I expect some follow through. Particulary when I went out on a limb taking a risk purchasing their obviously shotty craftsmanship seeing all the rmas that have occurred.

Now I know its the holidays yadda yadda excuses. They've used that line everytime. So have I in the past.

Im a nice person, really I am. I used to be the person that had no anger control. Ive worked very hard at being cool and collected but these joints and the pain they are causing my whole mouth nose and throat is reversing positive gains.

Maybe some positive vibes my way will make it all work out?

I just dont know. The end.

DisgruntledSmoker,
Reactions: vapen00b

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Hey @DisgruntledSmoker welcome to the forum. Sorry that your first post is a negative one. We did see a lot of Ascents early on that needed to be sent back to the company.

Give @Davinci_vaporizer a PM a personal conversation. Maybe he can get them on track with your unit. I understand I wouldn't want somebody else's unit if I was expecting to get mine back.

Good luck this is a great unit but sometimes shit happens. If you are a heavy cannabis consumer I would use more than one vaporizer if I were you. The portables aren't really intended to be a daily driver unless you consume less cannabis.

I would suggest at least 2 vaporizers to get you by. Maybe a log vape or a plug in type for home. A portable for on the go.

Last edited:
Hey @DisgruntledSmoker welcome to the forum. Sorry that your first post is a negative one. We did see a lot of Ascents early on that needed to be sent back to the company.

Give @Davinci_vaporizer a PM a personal conversation. Maybe he can get them on track with your unit. I understand I wouldn't want somebody else's unit if I was expecting to get mine back.

Good luck this is a great unit but sometimes shit happens. If you are a heavy cannabis consumer I would use more than one vaporizer if I were you. The portables aren't really intended to be a daily driver unless you consume less cannabis.

I would suggest at least 2 vaporizers to get you by. Maybe a log vape or a plug in type for home. A portable for on the go.

Thank you for the time and response. I have been a regular visitor to this site since its inception and I will admit that I did not think it would last being that you have to tell people to go to a website that starts with the word *fuck* to learn something. That being said I have learned a lot. A whole lot. You are a great positive contributer to this site as well.

However I will make the point that nowhere does Organicix state that their devices are meant for occasional use. They are sold as an alternative to the combustion of tobacco amongst other things. Thats it as far as I've seen and I have watched all the videos, read most of the blog and read all applicable literature.

Your sugggestion that I purchase another vaporizer is valid however my life dictates that I have a discrete portable vaporizer and at this point I have no desire for another round of electronical woes nor the financial investment, so I will be looking at something that uses tried and true open flame. I haven't researched much into these types of vaporizers but thankfully I am where I am so I'm certain Ill find something worth my money in short time.

DisgruntledSmoker,
Reactions: vapen00b

Amargi

Doin' shit, keepin' fit, and too legit to quit.
Hello, fellow Ascentians!

After many months of research, consideration and delays, I bit the bullet and purchased a new Ascent. I have been using the OG DaVinci portable for several years and decided it was time for an upgrade.

I have been lurking on these forums for awhile now, and sincerely appreciate the ongoing conversation that has taken place around the wide variety of usage techniques, maintenance tips, modifications and instructions for caring for the Ascent. My one issue (the "double edge" of this convesational sword), is the sheer volume of this thread; it makes for some daunting reading to find specific information.

I noticed that there is a growing "Best Of" section on the FC forums, and that DaVinci products seem to be absent from this project. I have found several posts of great interest from the Ascent thread, but have been shy in nominating posts due to my lack of hands-on use with the Ascent (I am charging it for the first time as I type).

As a new user who hopes to get the most (vapor and longevity) out of my new Ascent, I am desperate for guidance relating to proper charging, burnoff and vaping technique. To help me in this quest, I throw myself at the feet of the sapient users in this forum. I understand that these are ongoing discussions, and that what is "proper" is often a matter of personal opinion, but there does appear to be some conventional wisdom that has surfaced through the hundreds of pages of discussion and deliberation dedicated to the Ascent. At this point, my suggestion is that some of the veteran users here begin the process of distilling some of this rich dialogue into concise points which can be submitted to the "Best Of" section to assist those of us who wish to learn from your successes, joys, frustrations and failures.

I will contribute as I am able once I have had a bit of time to bond with my Ascent; in the meantime, anyone willing to offer some suggestions as to how a new user should "break in" their device for maximum use and enjoyment... please feel free to take my hand and show me the way. My battery is charging, and my head is spinning from all the pages I've viewed.

OF

Hello, fellow Ascentians!

After many months of research, consideration and delays, I bit the bullet and purchased a new Ascent. I have been using the OG DaVinci portable for several years and decided it was time for an upgrade.

I noticed that there is a growing "Best Of" section on the FC forums, and that DaVinci products seem to be absent from this project. I have found several posts of great interest from the Ascent thread, but have been shy in nominating posts due to my lack of hands-on use with the Ascent (I am charging it for the first time as I type).

Welcome to the Forum, great choice, expect a radical upgrade. Much as I like my original DV, Ascent is so much better.........

By all means nominate posts. Let the Mods decide if it's a good idea or not, that's their job. They need folks to suggest. If you found it useful, chances are very high the next new guy will?

Be sure to 'overcharge' (at least 4 hours) before the first discharge (good technique with this class of battery no matter where you come across them, no downside). First time only, first discharge (even a brief test) negates the advantage, don't cheat. Do burn offs (I did them with the door open) until you're happy. A quick wipe with ISO can often remove contamination and make burn off shorter.

Be sure to order some glass flowers to try. Everyone who has and has reported back had positive things to say and you can get enough to try for a few dollars:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ipe screens&qid=1449346101&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Grind medium/fine, load carefully but snug give plenty of time between hits for it to recover. It's a conduction vape with long 'time constant'.

Experiment around, good times coming.

OF

Amargi

Welcome to the Forum, great choice, expect a radical upgrade. Much as I like my original DV, Ascent is so much better.........

By all means nominate posts. Let the Mods decide if it's a good idea or not, that's their job. They need folks to suggest. If you found it useful, chances are very high the next new guy will?

Be sure to 'overcharge' (at least 4 hours) before the first discharge (good technique with this class of battery no matter where you come across them, no downside). First time only, first discharge (even a brief test) negates the advantage, don't cheat. Do burn offs (I did them with the door open) until you're happy. A quick wipe with ISO can often remove contamination and make burn off shorter.

Be sure to order some glass flowers to try. Everyone who has and has reported back had positive things to say and you can get enough to try for a few dollars:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J1U26AC?keywords=glass pipe screens&qid=1449346101&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Grind medium/fine, load carefully but snug give plenty of time between hits for it to recover. It's a conduction vape with long 'time constant'.

Experiment around, good times coming.

OF

Thanks for the quick reply, and warm welcome to FC!

As I was reading your post, I had just booted up my unit to do an initial burnoff... I had charged it for about 4 hours, so I'm on par thus far.

According to DaVinci, I should heat it to 430° and let it go for ~5min before shutting it down and letting it cool off. Would you advise me to do this for a full charge, or is it likely that things will have "aired out" before then?

As for the glass flowers, I was in contact with the DaVinci customer service team during the ordering process, and they were nice enough to sub some of the glass spacers in place of the U-Tool (more on this later). I have done my reading, and took note that many Ascent users found the spacers/flowers provided a significant boost in efficiency and efficacy.

I'm looking forward to contributing to this discussion and getting to know some fellow Ascent/Vape enthusiasts along the way!

Davinci_vaporizer

Clean First Technology
Manufacturer
The Davinci rep said in this thread for all to see that they would get the straight adapter to me quickly -

Sorry for the delays, I live in China so it's not just as simple as walking across the office to see what's going on. Please PM me your information and I'll do everything I can to get this straightened out for you.

Maybe some positive vibes my way will make it all work out?

I just dont know. The end.

Please PM me your RMA number and I'll get to the bottom of this for you.

We've been really behind in customer service since the Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales. I'm sorry to anyone and everyone for any inconvenience. If you have any issues please PM me so we can keep this thread not a customer service forum but rather a forum about vaporizing.

Thank you guys, and happy holidays.

DaVinci~

Davinci_vaporizer,

Amargi

After exercising patience and self control for far longer than I hoped would be necessary (due to my own circumstances), I finally had the opportunity to test drive my new Ascent last night.

The situation was less than ideal; darkness, rain and wind combined with a hurried departure from home (in the rush I forgot to bring my glass spacers). Nevertheless, I ground up my choice herb (Orange Power- an inbred strain of Agent Orange, notable for its rather extreme bouquet of orange/citrus aroma) and packed the chamber full without packing it too tight or adding any glass. I began at a cozy 370°, then moved up to 385° after a few minutes and a quick stir. After another stir, I finished off my maiden voyage at a balmy 400°. I was not disappointed. In fact, I was very pleased with the results!

Notable noticings:

1) I was concerned about the "new vape" flavour that so many users have complained about- so much so that even after a full charge of burnoffs, I selected a particularly pungent herb for the first run. I was ecstatic to find that there was absolutely no detectable silicone flavour/scent throughout the session. It was tasty, smooth and thoroughly enjoyable. (I own a 3AA1 unit)

2) the vapor density was exactly what I expected. Slow, deliberate draws produced voluminous clouds that weren't at all harsh. Dwindling vapour was solved by giving a couple more seconds between draws, infrequent stirring and stepping up the heat as the session continued. No surprises here; a little attention to detail went a long way in ensuring a steady, productive experience.

3) the unit heated up surprisingly fast. My OG DaVinci was fairly quick out of the gate, but the Ascent hit the ground sprinting!

I was very pleased with my first session using the Ascent. Despite having had a very enjoyable experience, it was quite apparent that there is a lot of room for improvement- and by this I mean in terms of discovering my own preferences, and sweet spots as well as developing my technique. I am a connoisseur and a tinkerer, and am beginning to believe that the Ascent was the perfect choice for me.

Incorporating the glass spacers will be my next project in a session or two, so that I have a solid baseline to compare and contrast sessions without/with the glass.. These are exciting times, friends!

Bravo, @Davinci_vaporizer ..
Bravo.

Last edited:

Davinci_vaporizer

Clean First Technology
Manufacturer
After exercising patience and self control for far longer than I hoped would be necessary (due to my own circumstances), I finally had the opportunity to test drive my new Ascent last night.

The situation was less than ideal; darkness, rain and wind combined with a hurried departure from home (in the rush I forgot to bring my glass spacers). Nevertheless, I ground up my choice herb (Orange Power- an inbred strain of Agent Orange, notable for its rather extreme bouquet of orange/citrus aroma) and packed the chamber full without packing it too tight or adding any glass. I began at a cozy 370°, then moved up to 385° after a few minutes and a quick stir. After another stir, I finished off my maiden voyage at a balmy 400°. I was not disappointed. In fact, I was very pleased with the results!

Notable noticings:

1) I was concerned about the "new vape" flavour that so many users have complained about- so much so that even after a full charge of burnoffs, I selected a particularly pungent herb for the first run. I was ecstatic to find that there was absolutely no detectable silicone flavour/scent throughout the session. It was tasty, smooth and thoroughly enjoyable. (I own a 3AA1 unit)

2) the vapor density was exactly what I expected. Slow, deliberate draws produced voluminous clouds that weren't at all harsh. Dwindling vapour was solved by giving a couple more seconds between draws, infrequent stirring and stepping up the heat as the session continued. No surprises here; a little attention to detail went a long way in ensuring a steady, productive experience.

3) the unit heated up surprisingly fast. My OG DaVinci was fairly quick out of the gate, but the Ascent hit the ground sprinting!

I was very pleased with my first session using the Ascent. Despite having had a very enjoyable experience, it was quite apparent that there is a lot of room for improvement- and by this I mean in terms of discovering my own preferences, and sweet spots as well as developing my technique. I am a connoisseur and a tinkerer, and am beginning to believe that the Ascent was the perfect choice for me.

Incorporating the glass spacers will be my next project in a session or two, so that I have a solid baseline to compare and contrast sessions without/with the glass.. These are exciting times, friends!

Bravo, @Davinci_vaporizer ..
Bravo.
Awesome! Sounds like you had a veteran experience your first run! The Ascent is a great vaporizer for people who know absolutely nothing about vapes, and for people who know it all. It's interface is simple enough for anyone to use, yet sophisticated enough for even the most experienced people to be able to enjoy. Glad to hear you're enjoying it!

Vape On,

DaVinci.

Amargi

Awesome! Sounds like you had a veteran experience your first run! The Ascent is a great vaporizer for people who know absolutely nothing about vapes, and for people who know it all. It's interface is simple enough for anyone to use, yet sophisticated enough for even the most experienced people to be able to enjoy. Glad to hear you're enjoying it!

Vape On,

DaVinci.

I certainly owe a lot of credit to the folks here on FC for the successful first session; its easy to have a "veteran experience" when drawing from such a large volume of information!

Last night I gave it another go, and was once again pleased with the results. Full chamber, no glass (flowers/spacers), relatively low temperature setting (topped out at ~385°). I am happy to report that there was still no silicone taste, so I feel comfortable striking that potential issue off of the list of concerns.

Having been met with success after using the most basic approach (grind, fill chamber full, vape), I am looking to refine my technique over the next few sessions; I want to circle in on the ritual that will deliver the efficiency and effectiveness that the Ascent has become known for in these parts. Incorporating the glass spacers seems to be the next logical step, so a couple of questions immediately pop into mind:

1) Are the spacers best used on top of the ground material? This seems to make sense, but I am interested to hear if anyone has used, or uses a different approach (thermal mass in the middle of the ground material, for instance).

2) If placing the spacers on top of the material, will "holes down" give the best kick to the vapor volume? I am wondering if the contact with the larger glass surface will increase the amount of vapor produced- something that may appear to be obvious given that the Ascent is a conduction unit.

I'm sure I will end up experimenting with the spacers either way, but I am interested in reading people's thoughts and experiences in using the glass spacers (specifically, although feel free to share about glass flowers as well).

OF

I'd say there are nearly as many well held opinions of the best way to use the spacers as there are owners? The only sure advice is to experiment for yourself.

FWIW I think the spacers are easier to use (unless you jam one.....) but the flowers actually produce more vapor from the same amount of herb, that is denser vapor, the total THC delivered would be the same of course. The flowers can be a PITA to load of course, but when I'm in the mood well worth the extra effort/flexibility. Again, personal experimentation is the way forward.

Time to suck it up, boy, and start sucking it up and fine tuning for desired results.

Congrats on a great choice and solid start.

OF

Amargi

I'd say there are nearly as many well held opinions of the best way to use the spacers as there are owners? The only sure advice is to experiment for yourself.

FWIW I think the spacers are easier to use (unless you jam one.....) but the flowers actually produce more vapor from the same amount of herb, that is denser vapor, the total THC delivered would be the same of course. The flowers can be a PITA to load of course, but when I'm in the mood well worth the extra effort/flexibility. Again, personal experimentation is the way forward.

Time to suck it up, boy, and start sucking it up and fine tuning for desired results.

Congrats on a great choice and solid start.

OF

Thanks, OF.

As a caveat I should be clear that when I ask about the "ideal/proper/best" way to use a technique, I understand that I am soliciting opinions and am not expecting a definitive, one-size-fits-all answer. I am very interested in learning what other Vapers have tried, enjoyed or hated; at the very least, this will provide some deeper context for future discussion.

I will continue to experiment on my own, and will be sure to post any relevant insights that arise during this process.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, and please pardon my initial exuberance- these experiences/experiments may be old hat to those of you who have been around for awhile, but it is a new and exciting arena for this guy!

Top Bottom