Ascent Vaporizer by DaVinci

Norcalsun

To the people that have had to return their units: How long did you use the Ascent before the problems started?
I've only owned mine for about a month, and only use about once a day. I'm just wondering if these problems/defects arise quickly or if it takes months before they start. Thanks for any feedback.

Norcalsun,
Reactions: OF

bassman

It's a risk when buying a new on the market portable vape. You can see others have had problems with theirs, it's very frustrating. This is my second unit, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this one will hold up.

There is a 1 year warranty on the Ascent, send it back.
There is actually a 2 year warranty on the Ascent.

Last edited by a moderator:

poonman

There is actually a 2 year warranty on the Ascent.

O goody , you have an extra year to rack up more shipping return costs ...
ok , since my 1st post about not paying for ANY shipping returns
I can agree to the 1st return , but any more after that , no way .
Send me a GOOD unit .

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
That's a pretty good warranty, I would assume its limited. I will have to look. Shipping is expensive especially for those of you in Canada and Europe. Folks will have to read up on all the returns and see if its worth it to them.

I agree, after the first time paying for shipping and you need to send it back, it should be on the Company dime after that.

Edit: I checked the warranty, the battery is only guaranteed for 90 days. The warranty starts when purchased, so if you send a unit back it wouldn't be 2 years from then.
From Instructions:
The Lithium ion batteries are subject to degradation and reduced run time over the course of regular use. In the instruction it also says about the battery it is designed for 90 minutes of continuous use at 200 degrees F.
I didn't realize that about the 200 degrees until now. Who's going to have it on 200 degrees F.?

Last edited:
CarolKing,

bassman

O goody , you have an extra year to rack up more shipping return costs ...
ok , since my 1st post about not paying for ANY shipping returns
I can agree to the 1st return , but any more after that , no way .
Send me a GOOD unit .
They will not pay return freight. Unfortunately it is new technology and there will always be bugs in anything new. I am on my third one and considering buying another one for a spare. When it works it works great. I could have waited but didn't, so I am not complaining too much.

OF

I agree, after the first time paying for shipping and you need to send it back, it should be on the Company dime after that.

A quite reasonable idea I think, but it comes with problems as well. I think to be fair it would have to be the same problem again, and it would have to be an actual problem? Sad to say, a fraction of 'defective field returns' aren't really defective. Often a very large fraction. I've worked several different CS functions in electronics over they years, it's a common theme. It seems to be the nature of the beast.

And this here internet isn't helping that. We really have no perspective on quality from our end. Even with full "root cause analysis" statistics on all the returns you often can't get a handle on things until you get enough history going.

Very tough call on the maker's end. If there was a better plan, no doubt many/most would use it. The fact that warranties read pretty much alike I think points to the wisdom of the usual plan.

BTW in some cases there was a 10% service reserve on "Cost of Goods Sold", this stuff can get out of hand on the other end too. Makes you wonder how much folks with very liberal policies like Magic Flight 'retain' (that is overcharge everyone) for that....... No free lunches here, either.

OF

hwl83

I've already told you that many guys have reported seeing this. All 'read low'. It's the reason I abandoned my Pyrometers and went to the extra trouble of T/C gauges. I know that's not the answer you wanted, but it's the truth. That's how science works here I think.

As long as we're on sore subjects, in a "population" (I think the correct statistical term) where most of the customers are happy with their initial unit, what are the chances of one guy getting 3 defective ones in a row in a random draw? Very small. If say one it 10 is bad, the chance of 3 in a row is 1 in a thousand. Statistics says to look elsewhere......unless someone doesn't like you and is picking out 'special ' ones?

Anyway, perhaps a more enlightening question to ask might be "has anyone ever got what they think is an accurate reading on a vape with their IR thermometer?" So, let me ask it, has anyone? Any vape? Under what conditions.

I honestly think low temperature is not your problem, for sure no way 3 times in a row. I has to be somewhere else.

Good luck with it, but as the saying goes, "I think you're barking up the wrong tree" here.

OF

It sounds as if you're calling me a liar. My first 2 units died completely. They stopped heating up and charging after 3 or 4 weeks of usage. But when they did work I was getting awesome vapor production out of them.

My current 3rd unit I've now had for a week. I am getting less than a third of the vapor I had before. This is an estimate as I have no way of measuring how much vapor is coming out but I've been using the same pack and draw method as my 1st two units with much less vapor and medication effect.

I am an engineer by trade. When all my variables are the same (even using the same herbal material) and I'm getting such a drastic change in vapor and effect, the only difference is the unit I'm using. I've had 2 units that produced huge clouds. This current unit produces jack squat. This is why I'm asking about the bowl temp reading.

Good for you being able to wikipedia emissivity. I'm asking for a general sense of ir temp readings from the people. If I have to I can use a thermocouple and take a real measurement but using an ir thermometer is so much faster and easier. I just felt it was odd that I'm not even close to the temp on the screen. I would even accept a 25% variation but a over 130% difference, I'm going to think that my unit is not up to temp.

To the people that have had to return their units: How long did you use the Ascent before the problems started?
I've only owned mine for about a month, and only use about once a day. I'm just wondering if these problems/defects arise quickly or if it takes months before they start. Thanks for any feedback.

My 1st 2 units stopped heating and charging after 3 to 4 weeks. I used mine almost everyday for 2 sessions or so. 30 min a day maybe?

Last edited by a moderator:

OF

It sounds as if you're calling me a liar.

I am an engineer by trade.

Good for you being able to wikipedia emissivity.

No, not a bit of it. I'm just stating the facts here. As as Engineer you should know that. What have I said that was incorrect?

I've worked with this stuff a fair bit, I quoted LOTS of sources to back it up (Wiki was only one of them). The point is not that I know how to look it up, it's that I know what it means and why it's not a reliable technique......from an engineering POV.

You started out by saying 'my laser thermometer proves it's only 180F when I'm set for 430F', I've tried to explain why that assumption (starting with it not involving lasers....) is in error. If you're making any vapor at all (generally considered impossible at 180F you know something's amiss.

Again, has anyone ever got a reliable reading of their Ascent temperature with IR readings? How about any other vapes?

Anyway, FWIW I don't think that a reliable measurement. I've said why. Your call from there.

Good luck with it.

OF

proghead

It's that damn learning curve alright, the Ascent makes learning fun. I've been filling the bowl with about 6 flowers, it fills the bowl by almost 3/4 and then I add the herb. With a little cotton on top.

The taste is wonderful and it's doing the job in the medicating department. Thank you Davinci.

Dear Pinnacle Pro, thanks again for the info on where to get the crystal flowers you kindly provided me in post #4532 and then the info on number of (6) flowers in this post.

Pinnacle Pro and ANYONE in FC:
USPS brought my flowers today, but I need the recommended temperature, please! Input from anyone on temp for use with and without crystal flowers will be much appreciated as I will be giving my Ascent another chance.

As posted in #4531
"My 2 week experience with my new Ascent was a total disappointment as well as for friends, some having already disposed of their units after giving up on ways to get any significant vapor production."

hwl83

No, not a bit of it. I'm just stating the facts here. As as Engineer you should know that. What have I said that was incorrect?

I've worked with this stuff a fair bit, I quoted LOTS of sources to back it up (Wiki was only one of them). The point is not that I know how to look it up, it's that I know what it means and why it's not a reliable technique......from an engineering POV.

You started out by saying 'my laser thermometer proves it's only 180F when I'm set for 430F', I've tried to explain why that assumption (starting with it not involving lasers....) is in error. If you're making any vapor at all (generally considered impossible at 180F you know something's amiss.

Again, has anyone ever got a reliable reading of their Ascent temperature with IR readings? How about any other vapes?

Anyway, FWIW I don't think that a reliable measurement. I've said why. Your call from there.

Good luck with it.

OF

I did not mean for it to sound that way. I was only trying to say that I was getting a 180 degree reading. I knew that couldn't be accurate or right which is why I was soliciting other peoples responses. I understand emissivity. since you're the only other person who has done this before what did you get with your ir thermometer?

hwl83,

OF

USPS brought my flowers today, but I need the recommended temperature, please! Input from anyone on temp for use with and without crystal flowers will be much appreciated as I will be giving my Ascent another chance.

Great! I think you have a right to expect useful improvement from them, AFAIK everyone who's tried them has.

I got great production from the one Nigel so kindly loaned me to try at 392F. No magic about that number, I find staying under 400 more to my liking but it's a personal call. If you're looking for volume (not taste) results no reason not to crank it up I guess.

Good show you're getting back on the horse. I think most of us found the ride worth while. It's not the easiest vape to get going, you need some faith/experience/luck I think. At least most of us do.

Get it dry, grind it medium to fine, add lots of glass flowers (at least to start), give it long times to 'soak' between hits (remember, it's hottest just before you hit, the longer and harder you hit the colder it gets in the load) and don't get hung up on seeing vapor at first (be more guided by effect on you than the quality of the clouds?). The worm will turn.

Good luck with it, I think success is at hand.

I understand emissivity. since you're the only other person who has done this before what did you get with your ir thermometer?

Great! They you understand the problem.

As I've said before, I'm far from the only guy to try this without success. Which is why we have no magic model to suggest.

As I said, the Ascent I tested was a loaner. It belongs to Nigel. I didn't record the readings I got, and don't consider memory of such things reliable ("if it's not in your notebook, it never happened" is the school I came from....). However, I just fired up my Solo which I'm quite confident is just under 400F on step 4 where I run it with much success. Using my spot pyrometer the hottest spot in the oven I can find is 223F, the average is about 190 I'd say. If you have access to T/C gauges and small T/Cs it's actually very easy to fish one up the vents from below in Ascent?

Thanks and good luck.

OF

Last edited:
Just got my Ascent in the mail today and I am thoroughly disappointed to the point where I'm returning it as son as possible, for a full refund (I ordered this Thursday from DaVinci BTW, extremely quick shipping but not much else went well unfortunately... I was SO excited for this too...)

Firstly, the replacement stems came broken. Secondly, the unite looked great, but when I checked it all out I noticed the bowl is not even centered with the silicone and it is actually sagging on one side and you can see stretching glue from the silicone piece to the bowl... Then upon turning it on and pulling the mouth piece up, the whole top piece moved up with it like it was some floppy cover that was meant to come off, and even after putting it back down to where it is suppose to be, probably cheaply glued or whatever, you can see clear, wide open exposure to the circuit board, the batteries and wires (at the top) and I did notice that the tube does not have any gaps in it, but it is made out of 4 pieces that do not seem to be connected in any way other than sitting on top of each other(they need to just put ONE silicone piece from the bottom to the top... it's SO simple). I then got curious and sandwiched it all back together and sucked through the glass stem and covered the bottom of it tightly and removed my hand multiple times and noticed that there's actually no difference whatsoever in draw resistance meaning that the air path is no where near enclosed in that glass path that it's supposedly enclosed in, and that it is COMPLETELY open to the circuitry inside no matter how you have it because all I could taste is the foul taste of the circuit boards and wires...

It's so sad because I really feel that they have the potential to be the absolute BEST, ever for portable vaporizers but IMO they are light years away from that and it is almost solely thanks to their horrible manufacturing quality and consistency. After all this time they still have barely ironed this issues out... They need to get smart and start ENSURING that this type of crap CAN'T happen. For example there should be no physically possible way that an all glass vapor path could become contaminated by toxic sealing agents and glues, batteries, wires, solder and circuitry. All they had to do was simply put ONE straight piece of silicone through the whole upper section, simply permanently sealing off and isolating all the things that should not be in the vapor path under any circumstances. And real, quality high temperature silicone does NOT have a plastic/rubbery, new shoe smell, that's not quality materials. Silicone is used because it's suppose to be pure, odorless, tasteless and totally neutral and temperature resistant. Having to "burn off" this smell and taste should be a red flag that something is wrong. It will be a long time before I would ever consider exposing myself to the cheap poorly engineered products that DaVinci has plagued this Earth with. I am thoroughly disappointed.

CarolKing

The Solo is a wonderful vape, it has excellent flavor too, not quite as portable as the Ascent. I've used it on the go, you can buy the wooden stem for it to make it more portable.

Its a very dependable unit and has been in the marketplace for a while now, just an idea.

I'm sorry for your troubles.

Last edited:

OF

The Solo is a wonderful vape, it has excellent flavor too, not quite as portable as the Ascent. I've used it on the go, you can buy the wooden stem for it to make it more portable.

Its a very dependable unit and has been in the marketplace for a while now, just an idea.

I'm sorry for your troubles.

Good suggestion IMO. I think Ascent definitely 'rides in the pocket better'. And it has more 'bling' as well, for those who like that. Pretty display and all, not a few LEDs.

I think a guy is well stocked with either, although the nod for 'easiest to use' out of the box and at this point probably reliability favor Solo. While it'd be great to have both, having 2 Solos already (I experiment a lot and loan gear I like out for guys to try) I haven't jumped on an Ascent of my own.

Yet.

OF

CarolKing

Dear Pinnacle Pro, thanks again for the info on where to get the crystal flowers you kindly provided me in post #4532 and then the info on number of (6) flowers in this post.

Pinnacle Pro and ANYONE in FC:

As posted in #4531
"My 2 week experience with my new Ascent was a total disappointment as well as for friends, some having already disposed of their units after giving up on ways to get any significant vapor production."

I start at 395 degrees then I go up a few degrees after a minute or two, I stay at around 400 then top off at 405 or 408 degrees towards the end of my 10 min. Session. I've been getting big clouds and quite medicated. The abv is dark brown when I remove it. I don't use all that much herb. Sometimes temp. is just a personal preference. You may find different temps work for you.

I use about 6 or 7 flowers then I add the herb, then I use a little organic cotton on top to keep everything clean.

Good Times

Last edited:
CarolKing,
Actually what I did was I bought both the newest Solo and the newest Ascent (from DaVinci, the solo from puffitup -excellent site, excellent service) and I just decided I'd return whichever one didn't satisfy me, I was pretty sure one of them might be excellent while the other might be slacking in a few categories, and unfortunately I was right but it was the opposite of what I expected... So even though I was SO excited about the DaVinci because I think it has SO much potential, I would never want to use a product so carelessly designed and poorly manufactured when it comes to something I would be trusting every single day with my personal health... I sincerely hope @Davinci_vaporizer will read this and my previous post and take this seriously because even though this vaporizer is currently knock off cheap Chinese quality, I still believe they could read into these factors and turn it around eventually if they really cared... But only time will tell I guess... Most likely a very large amount of it.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
...even though this vaporizer is currently knock off cheap Chinese quality...

This is an unfair generalization based on a single unit. My Ascent has none of the flaws that you described, and I'm pretty sure yours was an exception. There have certainly been some quality control issues, particularly with early units, but these have already been largely eliminated. There are lots of posts here from members whose Ascents are well assembled. I particularly take exception to your implication that @Davinci_vaporizer doesn't really care. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Reflections

sorry you had problems with your ascent StraightChill..sounds like you got one of the first batch of units they sent out that alot had same problems...Im on my 2nd ascent and its much better than the first one they sent me...

Reflections,
Reactions: KidFated.

hitmeman

On my 2nd ascent had this one for a week and a halve .Have to send it back , temp will not go past 395.what to do?

Norcalsun

I'm very surprised to hear comments about how the build quality of the Ascent is sub-standard. I personally, think the build quality of my unit is excellent, and I'm pretty picky. All seams are tight and even. Everything is centered and no signs of any excess glue. The was basically extremely little, almost none at all, off gassing. The new smell only lasted the first bowl or two. I can get it heated to 400F within 2min. It tastes great and I can get clouds if I want. I know there have been plenty of problems reported and I feel for all those customers, maybe I've been one of the lucky ones so far. It's strange how people seem to really like the Ascent or absolutely hate it. The good units seem to be very good while the bad units seem to very bad. I don't see alot of middle ground. It's either love it or hate it. Even if my unit breaks down soon I still have to admit the build quality of the Ascent is very good. I would hate to have to pay any charges to send the unit in for repairs. I think Davinci should maybe think about paying for the shipping if the same unit is returned more than once.

thesoloman

This is an unfair generalization based on a single unit. My Ascent has none of the flaws that you described, and I'm pretty sure yours was an exception. There have certainly been some quality control issues, particularly with early units, but these have already been largely eliminated. There are lots of posts here from members whose Ascents are well assembled. I particularly take exception to your implication that @Davinci_vaporizer doesn't really care. Nothing could be further from the truth.
When a Company says that an offgasing is safe to inhale, when in reality they don't eve know the composition of the gas, i would say that is the upmost "fuck you and your health" by @Davinci_vaporizer
I know this is a rather old issue however i thought i would add this in, as it shows their disregard for the consumer.
One thing i have never mentioned before is that, I for one would never trust an E-cig, and to trust the same manufacture ,that makes Blu E-cigs, to properly design an manufacture a safe herbal vaporizer seems a bit off too me. I know in the future i will stick with companys that only design herbal vaporizers, not e-cigs. :2c:

Edit for Mr. @OF , Damnit, i should have kept my unit and had the off-gassing tested by a lab, so i could have had actual evidence. I use the precautionary principal when it comes to vapes, if there is an unknown gas being admitted by a device, I go out on a limb and say that is unsafe, i don't want anything but HOT air and Cannabis vapor entering my lungs when using a vaporizer.
I was one of the first to realize the off-gassing problem, at that point i was told by the company that is was safe to use. To me it seemed really unlikely that OrganicX would have already looked at the offgassing, tested to know it was safe, and then kept selling units that offgased.
further more, even if they tested it, and found it to be safe, why would they continue selling units that are known to have under-cured silicone touching a heater? the under-cured silicone is what DV claimed the problem to be.

Last edited:

OF

I'm very surprised to hear comments about how the build quality of the Ascent is sub-standard. I personally, think the build quality of my unit is excellent, and I'm pretty picky.

Excellent point. "Wisdom" from this (or any other) Forum is at best questionable. The posters are "self selected", a known kiss of death in statistics.

No doubt the posts are honest (at least for the most part), but the experiences aren't standardized so perspective is off. Not that the opinions of brand new vapist (first vape purchase, days old....) are any more or less valuable than anyone else but the context counts.

What we have here is, I think, the cyber version of the parable of the blind men describing the elephant?

When a Company says that an offgasing is safe to inhale, when in reality they don't eve know the composition of the gas, i would say that is the upmost "fuck you and your health" by @Davinci_vaporizer
I think that's only the case if you know that's not the case. Lots of offgassing (in fact most) is harmless you know.

Do you have proof they're lying? How do you know they don't know what's going on?

OF

CarolKing

In a previous post I added that in the instructions I noticed that it states the battery is deigned to run for 200 degrees for 90 min. At the beginning of the Ascent Manual it states 2-3 hours of continuous use.
I'm confused. I get about an hour and about 15 min of use and I have it around 400 degrees give or take a few. I'm happy enough with the battery so far.

Maybe the 200 degrees for 90 min. is a lifetime average of battery usage per unit?

Last edited:
CarolKing,
In a previous post I added that in the instructions I noticed that it states the battery is deigned to run for 200 degrees for 90 min. At the beginning of the Ascent Manual it states 2-3 hours of continuous use.
I'm confused. I get about an hour and about 15 min of use and I have it around 400 give or take a few. I'm happy enough with the battery so far.

Maybe the 200 degrees for 90 min. must be an average per unit?

I think that's just their standard on when they consider a battery in need of replacing. Probably what they mean is, if it withstands that test then they don't have to replace it for you.

sorry you had problems with your ascent StraightChill..sounds like you got one of the first batch of units they sent out that alot had same problems...Im on my 2nd ascent and its much better than the first one they sent me...

But the thing is I just ordered one FROM DaVinci, so it should indeed be the newest ones... What's the newest model number? Mine is "1AA1 016530" Unless they decided to try to get rid of an older unit or something... Either way, I'm not alright with the design of these units from a health standard. That path from the bottom silicone piece to the top piece should not be sectioned off into multiple pieces of different materials, it should be ONE straight shot of silicone, no seams. The problem is if any of those seams are not air tight then 50% of what you get when you take a draw just comes right through the circuit board and the batteries, down to the bottom of the unit through the hinges (You can hear it pulling through it if you plug everything good and listen and feel for it and I don't like this part either, but it comes right through the NON-ISOLATED circuit board that mounts the charging port RIGHT next to the heater... And even that is a poor design in regards to safety and health. This is an AMAZING idea, it's an awesome general design, but not much actual thought was put into ensuring a safe foolproof delivery path for your medicine. They need to get better quality control with their units in general, and they NEED to ENSURE that there cannot be any contamination in the vapor path if any of those 3 different junctions aren't permanently and immaculately sealed... but even then, if it is all sealed, what happens if the glue heats up and it off-gases some of the glue? Or what if the glue comes undone after some time? And I swear to god, if it does in your unit, there is NO difference in draw resistance if you have the main vapor path sealed off or open, you're gonna get 50% vapor and 50% heated circuitry... It's a simple fix! Maybe @Davinci_vaporizer cares to fix this and their other issues (perhaps their STILL sometimes cured, sometimes not properly cured silicone parts) to ensure health and safety in their products .... Maybe they don't care about things to that detail, I don't know. But if you guys did get good units, then I hope they always serve you well and I hope they don't expose you to anything harmful that you would not ever consciously chose to inhale in the first place. But because of their design, for now, I don't plan on getting another unit. I'll be sticking with my Solo and wishing for the best for you all.

StraightChill,
Reactions: Arfsdad
Top Bottom