Ascent Vaporizer by DaVinci

Is the glass screen absolutely necessary? Can I take it out and put a metal screen in its place? Will that negatively affect the vape process?

ScarletSpeedster,

cbaty08

This is happening to my unit as well, on top of it being put together by a 2yo.

I'll be sending my unit back for a refund; one would have thought Davinci had enough time to iron things out.

Seriously bummed.

Recieved my 2nd ascent from customer service on Monday.auto shut off does not work ,set temp to 375 up it to 385 temp will not increase only if I turn it off and back on.

cbaty08,

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Is the glass screen absolutely necessary? Can I take it out and put a metal screen in its place? Will that negatively affect the vape process?
Are you talking about the glass pipe screens folks are using for heat and space inside the bowl? If you have vapor production and it medicates to your satisfaction without any enhancements such as glass beads or the glass flowers, do what works for you.

Are you talking about the glass mouthpiece with the built in screen?

A metal screen on the bottom or the top wont hurt vapor production.

Last edited:
CarolKing,

CarolKing

I suggest some reading through Of and Nigel's posts. Its talked about over and over again that this unit has a learning curve. We are using the tobacco glass pipe screens inside with the herb. You can order them on Amazon.

CarolKing,
Reactions: bassman

FrogDR

Yes, you get two oil jars with the Ascent. At the moment my camera is acting up so I can't do pictures. It shouldn't matter, since @Quetzalcoatl described it accurately. Pictures wouldn't add much.

Ok guys, You have convinced me :> I ordered Ascent from http://www.vapefiend.co.uk/ Anyone knows this shop ? I hope is trustworthy. They have lowest price.
Can you tell me what is yours best temperature to take bigest,tastiest vapore from dry herbs ? 375 ?

bassman

Like Pinnacle said,it is definitely a learning curve. I got my first Ascent in November and I was never unhappy with the unit because even if i wasn't getting great clouds,I was getting well medicated. I started reading this forum more and got a pretty good draw technique which is very slow and long and deep. I was starting to get good clouds. I was getting good clouds and a good buzz without using any glass or cotton but would have to push the puck back down after a few drags. Well i broke down and ordered the glass flowers and it made a huge difference. I don't have to be as slow on the draw but slow is still the best. I don't have to show my friends how to do it as much because with the filler the puck does not move and I can use as little or as much herb as I want and still get terrific hits. I am not looking for the biggest clouds because I hold it until there is not much cloud left and if there is not a big cloud,that means less odor and more stealthiness. I also went to the square glass beads because there is not any stems to break like on the flowers and I like to cook with the ABV so I don't have to worry about broken glass stems in the mix. Technique,technique,technique and you will love this unit. Next thing you need to look at is the vape temp chart which is in this forum and you will save even more herb.

Ok guys, You have convinced me :> I ordered Ascent from http://www.vapefiend.co.uk/ Anyone knows this shop ? I hope is trustworthy. They have lowest price.
Can you tell me what is yours best temperature to take bigest,tastiest vapore from dry herbs ? 375 ?
Make sure they are an authorized dealer because if not, there is no warranty. Order straight from Davinci and be safe. Also there is a vape temp chart on this forum. Low temps for taste and high temps for major buzz.

Last edited by a moderator:

FrogDR

@bassman i`m from EU. Ordering straight from Da Vinci would cost me very much because of Tax and duty... Now i look at the page davinci and they aren`t Authorized reseller :( So in case of problems does it all with them (vapefiend) i guess...
Vape Temp Chart - you mean this "CBD 206.3C, CBN 212.7C, THC 149.3C" ?

Last edited:

bassman

@bassman i`m from EU. Ordering straight from Da Vinci would cost me very much because of Tax and duty... Now i look at the page davinci and they aren`t Authorized reseller :( So in case of problems does it all with them (vapefiend) i guess...
Their warranty states coverage from authorized dealers only. If they are not on the list, they probably aren't authorized.Try contacting Davinci to be sure. If they are not,I would wait until I had the money to order from Davinci. I love my Ascent but I have had to send back two for heat issues. I would not take the chance. This after all is a new product and there are some problems with them as in most newly released products.

CarolKing

It's risky buying a unit like the Ascent with no authorized warranty, $200+ is a lot of money to possibly lose. I don't know what the faulty unit rate is with this vape? So Bassman is absolutely right on. Ascent is a great unit if you get the right one.

Unless Vapefiend guarantees the refund on their own. I don't know their reputation. Maybe some other FCers would like to chime in on this.

Last edited:
Unit number 2 having same problem. Burns up all of the product but produces NO vapor! I have been packing the bowl tight, loose, full, half, glass flower, oil jar, metal screen annnnnd a half O later I am still having problems! I'll inhale soft and long and still no vapor! I emailed Da Vinci requesting my money back.

ScarletSpeedster,

Osn Dosn

Vapefiend quotes on their main page to be an authorized DaVinci dealer. It's one of or the biggest shop in the UK and I'd say they have quite some reputation.. And anyway: if a product is sold in the EU then there's European rights which do not allow to preclude the minimum warranty and any GTC saying otherwise is not valid.

Norcalsun

Just a quick report: I've been getting extremely good results ( big clouds, very medicated) using a couple glass flowers on the bottom, a layer of bud, a flower in the middle, fill the rest of the bowl, and two flowers on top. I set temp to 396F, it's produces great flavor and isn't hot or harsh. I really getting this dialed in and I'm enjoying it more and more. I only have been using it once a day, taking 3 or 4 hits at a time and have had it for about 4wks. Hopefully Davinci can get the defective units to a minimum, this is a great portable vape in my opinion.

hwl83

I'm on my 3rd unit. The 1st two died because it stopped heating and charging.

I had gotten a pretty good method of vaping with my 1st 2 units. Tight but not super tight pack around 0.3-0.5 gs depending on party size with some cotton on top.

My 3rd unit can't produce anywhere near the same amount of vapor as my 1st two. This new one is a carbon fiber model.

I used a laser thermometer to measure the bowl temp since it didn't seem to produce vapor. When I use read the temp in the bowl, I only get it up to 180 F. This is with it set to 430 max temp and leaving it on for 10 minutes or so. Does anyone else have an idea of what the inner wall surface of the chamber should be at temp wise when it's at max temp? I'm starting to think I have my 3rd busted unit. The 1st 2 died and this one doesn't seem to heat up to temp.

I know there would be some heat loss going from the heater element to the bowl but 200 degrees F? That doesn't seem right. Can anyone else confirm the actual temp of their bowl in a working Ascent?

I'm sick and tired of dealing with their slow ass customer service. Yea they may service you, but they take forever to do anything and I have to bug them to get any sort of timely response from them and I feel like a jerk doing it but they don't give me any choices. I spent 250 on the unit, 35 bucks to get it overnighted to me and now an extra 20 to ship 2 defective units back and they have never bothered to reimburse any of my shipping or try to make my experience any better.

OF

I used a laser thermometer to measure the bowl temp since it didn't seem to produce vapor. When I use read the temp in the bowl, I only get it up to 180 F. This is with it set to 430 max temp and leaving it on for 10 minutes or so. Does anyone else have an idea of what the inner wall surface of the chamber should be at temp wise when it's at max temp?

We've been through this a number of times here, and more times on other vapes.

First off it's not a laser anything, at most the laser is a pointing aid and has nothing more to do with the function. In fact only two of my Infrared Pyrometers (the proper name) have lasers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrared_thermometer
http://www.lumasenseinc.com/EN/products/infrared-thermometers-and-switches/

These guys are basically light meters for Infrared (not visible) light. They are not cameras, they don't find the hottest part of the field of view nor do they take into account emissivity (how brightly a given material 'shines' at a given temperature.....which varies widely as you've discovered).

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/ascent-vaporizer-by-davinci.9885/page-100#post-450872

It's like trying to tell how bright the lights are in a room by looking at the window from down the street and not knowing if the curtains are drawn.

When I put an actual thermocouple into the load and measured the real temperature I found it within a single degree, IMO a pretty amazing match. You might want to check the link in the above link to see how that happened in Solo (with dramatically different results) and here where I describe my tests with Ascent in more detail (including a photo or two for those who like pictures):
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/ascent-vaporizer-by-davinci.9885/page-111#post-459922

Don't trust that reading, it's way off unless you've manually set the emissivity (generally about .95 by default) to the material specific value (whatever it is) on your Pyrometer......and even then I wouldn't trust it. This is just not the sort of application such devices are designed for.

Good luck.

OF

hwl83

Even if the ir thermometer is wrong it shouldn't be over 200 degrees off.

We use it to measure surface temps of our molds and it is much more accurate than that. In fact my forehead measures 95 degrees so its within its specified accuracy.

I only did this because my 3rd ascent produces minimal vapor using the same techniques as my other 2 ascents which is why I feel like I got a 3rd defective unit.

hwl83,
Reactions: Snappo

bassman

We use it to measure surface temps of our molds and it is much more accurate than that. In fact my forehead measures 95 degrees so its within its specified accuracy.

I only did this because my 3rd ascent produces minimal vapor using the same techniques as my other 2 ascents which is why I feel like I got a 3rd defective unit.
Call Davinci tell them your problem.

hwl83

Call Davinci tell them your problem.
I probably will. I just wanted to know what others bowl temp readings were before I did.

Its just so frustrating. I've only had this since the beginning of November. If i have to send this one back I'll be waiting for my fourth one. I will have had 3 months of owning this thing but 4 weeks of downtime. I find this completely unacceptable. They just tell me the same bs every time. "Ive never had people have to deal with multiple exchanges". I would much rather they be honest with their deficiencies than feed me bullshit.

bassman

I probably will. I just wanted to know what others bowl temp readings were before I did.

Its just so frustrating. I've only had this since the beginning of November. If i have to send this one back I'll be waiting for my fourth one. I will have had 3 months of owning this thing but 4 weeks of downtime. I find this completely unacceptable. They just tell me the same bs every time. "Ive never had people have to deal with multiple exchanges". I would much rather they be honest with their deficiencies than feed me bullshit.
I understand. I am on my 3rd one . Had I

Its just so frustrating. I've only had this since the beginning of November. If i have to send this one back I'll be waiting for my fourth one. I will have had 3 months of owning this thing but 4 weeks of downtime. I find this completely unacceptable. They just tell me the same bs every time. "Ive never had people have to deal

bassman,

OF

I'm sorry, you're wrong, it absolutely can be.......in fact is in this case. You're not the first guy to fall into this trap, we've been through it several times. It might be time to "believe your own lying eyes....."

It's all about Emissivity. Enter as smaller number in your Pyrometer and the temperature reading for exactly the same hot thing goes up. Check it out. It's an often overlooked part of calibration.

http://www.raytek.com/Raytek/en-r0/IREducation/AccurateMeasurement.htm
http://www.raytek.com/Raytek/en-r0/IREducation/EmissivityTableMetals.htm

Note the end of the first reference? Very important detail there. Note in the table (second link) how wide the variation is? Cut it in half, the "temperature" displayed doubles. Notice how not only the material, but the surface finish matters a lot?

This is why heat sinks are black (they radiate away the heat better that way) and smart dressers wear white in summer (white doesn't absorb heat, the converse of radiation, as much.....).

Believe what you want, but that's what I think the facts of the matter are. Or just have a little faith that I might be right here and try changing the e value in your Pyrometer (probably about .95 right now) and see what happens? You can always change it back.

OF

Edit: For some reason I can't find the link I really wanted here, but this one kind of spells it out (emphasis is mine):

"Knowledge of surface emissivity is important both for accurate non-contact temperature measurement and for heat transfer calculations. Radiation thermometers detect the thermal radiation emitted by a surface. They are generally calibrated using blackbody reference sources that have an emissivity as close to 1 as makes no practical difference. When viewing 'real' more reflective surfaces, with a lower emissivity, less radiation will be received by the thermometer than from a blackbody at the same temperature and so the surface will appear colder than it is unless the thermometer reading is adjusted to take into account the material surface emissivity. Unfortunately, because the emissivity of a material surface depends on many chemical and physical properties it is often difficult to estimate. It must either be measured or modified in some way, for example by coating the surface with high emissivity black paint, to provide a known emissivity value. The NPL provides a service for measuring the emissivity of samples which is used by customers when they need valid surface temperature measurements or heat transfer calculations."

http://www.npl.co.uk/reference/faqs/what-is-emissivity-and-why-is-it-important-(faq-thermal)

CarolKing

I'm hoping someone else has a laser thermometer (I borrowed one from work) and can take a quick measurement and post their results.
It's a risk when buying a new on the market portable vape. You can see others have had problems with theirs, it's very frustrating. This is my second unit, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this one will hold up.

There is a 1 year warranty on the Ascent, send it back.

OF

I just wanted to know what others bowl temp readings were before I did.

I've already told you that many guys have reported seeing this. All 'read low'. It's the reason I abandoned my Pyrometers and went to the extra trouble of T/C gauges. I know that's not the answer you wanted, but it's the truth. That's how science works here I think.

As long as we're on sore subjects, in a "population" (I think the correct statistical term) where most of the customers are happy with their initial unit, what are the chances of one guy getting 3 defective ones in a row in a random draw? Very small. If say one it 10 is bad, the chance of 3 in a row is 1 in a thousand. Statistics says to look elsewhere......unless someone doesn't like you and is picking out 'special ' ones?

Anyway, perhaps a more enlightening question to ask might be "has anyone ever got what they think is an accurate reading on a vape with their IR thermometer?" So, let me ask it, has anyone? Any vape? Under what conditions.

I honestly think low temperature is not your problem, for sure no way 3 times in a row. I has to be somewhere else.

Good luck with it, but as the saying goes, "I think you're barking up the wrong tree" here.

OF

Top Bottom