Ascent Vaporizer by DaVinci

Chill Dude

I wonder if that has to do with either:
The temps aren't really that high even though the readout says it is...
or
The air to vapor ratio is a lot higher on the Ascent versus other portables ?

IDK, but I'd like to think the temps are pretty accurate. Davinci did say they did a bunch of temp tests and the are confident in the accuracy within a reasonable margin of error.....

Chill Dude,
Reactions: Snappo

toros23

I wonder if that has to do with either:
The temps aren't really that high even though the readout says it is...
or
The air to vapor ratio is a lot higher on the Ascent versus other portables ?

I think having the heat source and bowl on the bottom has a lot to do with it along with the extra air like you mention. So maybe add longer air path to your list?

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
Than it very well could be the latter.....ie, high air to vapor ratios.

It could also be the diffusion effect of the glass screen above the bowl, causing it to mix better. Even hitting my Launch Box rigged up my little oiler dry isn't as harsh as with the stem, although it could also be the longer airpath.

Quetzalcoatl,

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker
Yeah, that would be cool to see a full comparison of the Solo vs the Ascent in regards to cloud production.

I don't like water attachments too much. I like to hit my portables dry. That said, I can only hit the Solo dry on setting 3 or 4, anything above that is too harsh for me. What gets me excited about the Ascent is the ability to vape at higher temps without water. According to Slim, the Ascent is much less harsh at higher temperatures when vaping w/o water than other portables.(tthats not an actual quote, but as I recal he did say something like that a while back). for me that's a great feature.....

I may not want to hit the Ascent dry at 430F, but if I can hit it in the 410 to 415 range w/o coughing up a lung I'd be happy. I defiantly can't hit the Solo dry at those temps ie. level 7...
I'm definitely a fan of my DG Micro Friited Disc Bubbler mated with the Solo...medium to high settings always smoooth. From what your describing, the Ascent should then produce clouds at least equally as well in my DG, while being nicely cooled down and moisturized. Sounds like things are stacking up well for the Ascent in advance of my order. :clap:

Chill Dude

I think having the heat source and bowl on the bottom has a lot to do with it along with the extra air like you mention. So maybe add longer air path to your list?

Yeah, good point. It's appealing to have a portable which is designed for smoother vapor and less throat irritation when hit dry. I know there are a lot of people that use water with their portables, but the whole idea of a portable is to be able to vape anytime anywhere without having to pack up a bunch of accessories IMO...

Chill Dude,

lwien

Yup, that could be it too.

This may have been asked before, but I don't remember seeing it so I'll ask. At a given temp, say 385F, if you keep it at that temp without raising it, will your ABV come out the same color as ABV coming out of other vapes at that same temp?

lwien,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
I think it has to do more with thee mostly glass vapor path. With the glass tube extended the vapor has a really good opportunity to cool down and become smoother.

Slightly Medicated,
Reactions: Chill Dude

Belgianvapor

I too suspect it might be the air/vape ration, or davinci just knows what they are doing and they improved it even more so with the ascent, because at this moment, the original davinci is one of the only vapes I have that don't make me cough, (pinnacle is the opposite, I like it but it makes me cough almost after every hit, someone suggested that it could be because of the very short vapor path?) and I use it at 205°C.
I'm also curious as to how the abv comes out of the ascent, because the original davinci sometimes gives me creepy dark abv even at lower temps. I figure this just means it's extracting at its best?

Belgianvapor,

Snappo

Accessory Maker
Thinking about the design differences in the bowls (conductive heating element) between the Ascent and the Solo: the Solo has a metal bowl that heats herb packed in glass (this glass separates the herb from the heat source). Hence, I would think that temp degradation into the packed herb would be greater than with the Ascent (which is not separated by glass). I wonder what is in fact the temperature differential between the element and the packed herb e.g., if the temp setting is at 410F, what is the internal temp of the packed herb (which is more relevant, I would think). And further, what the temp differential would be in the herb between the two bowl/glass tube designs. Hope this was stated well enough to make some sense.

Snappo,

marduk

daydreamer
Thinking about the design differences in the bowls (conductive heating element) between the Ascent and the Solo: the Solo has a metal bowl that heats herb packed in glass (this glass separates the herb from the heat source). Hence, I would think that temp degradation into the packed herb would be greater than with the Ascent (which is not separated by glass).

The herb IS separated the same way in the Ascent. The ceramic bowl is lined with glass, the herb only comes into contact with the glass.

marduk,

PDwasmy1st

Anyone no how long the battery will last long term? 6 months? a year? and how much a replacement is?
I take it no1 does then , and i am waiting for the makers to answer me?

PDwasmy1st,

Snappo

Accessory Maker
The herb IS separated the same way in the Ascent. The ceramic bowl is lined with glass, the herb only comes into contact with the glass.
Yes! You are correct in that the bowl in the Ascent is lined with glass. But, I tend to think that the thickness of that glass is much thinner than that of the Solo stem bowl, and less of a barrier to the heat.

Snappo,

Yoshimattsu

Some people get very finicky about 100% all glass air path claims. I pretty much consider it all glass, but some people might consider the metal grill around the air intake as part of the air path.
Part of the airpath, yes, part of the vaporpath, no. Since no vapor touches the metal grill, the vaporpath is truly all glass, IMO. But I suppose it depends on who you ask.

Yoshimattsu,

lwien

I think it has to do more with thee mostly glass vapor path. With the glass tube extended the vapor has a really good opportunity to cool down and become smoother.

Yeah, but I can hit my LSV through that long-ass wand which has a much longer glass air path than the Ascent and it's harsher than hell unless I puff on it like a cigar, thereby, increasing the air to vapor ratio. Smooth as hell through water though at the same temp.

lwien,
Reactions: OF

Medical Mark

Some people get very finicky about 100% all glass air path claims. I pretty much consider it all glass, but some people might consider the metal grill around the air intake as part of the air path.
Well some people are so fussy and anal about the non- issue stuff.
I think this unit is all glass for sure even the bowl is glass lined the part that is glass is the herb Lol.
You dropped your ascent and cracked the glass straws right? The Toronto vape review dropped his on concrete or asphalt 3 times he shows the markings of it hitting the ground but still worked fine and nothing broke.
I guess its tough enough hey,
I would love to see some more videos of the vapor production.
Either way looks like a quality well built unit with a ton of potential.
Cheers, medical mark

lwien

Well some people are so fussy and anal about the non- issue stuff.

Mark, what may be a non-issue to you very well may be an issue for someone else. Just because someone is concerned about something that you are not concerned about doesn't automatically make it a non-issue.

But for the record, for me, the wide open metal grill does not take away from the concept that the Ascent has an all glass vapor path any more than the metal screen does in the LSV while I would totally understand that others may disagree.

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
I will have more videos of the vapor production soon. I also got some oil blends to try. Been spending allot of time out in the yard getting it ready. Have till august to get the yard/house ready for visitors/wedding. One of those instances of way to much to do and not enough hours in the day to do it. :(

Medical Mark

Mark, what may be a non-issue to you very well may be an issue for someone else. Just because someone is concerned about something that you are not concerned about doesn't automatically make it a non-issue.

But for the record, for me, the wide open metal grill does not take away from the concept that the Ascent has an all glass vapor path any more than the metal screen does in the LSV while I would totally understand that others may disagree.
Well to me the heated chamber is where the air path starts and runs through the glass stems, when you throw the grill into the vapor path it just doesn't make any sense because there no vapor associated with it its just air flow moving from the open grill through the bowl up the stems.
So its a none issue when talking abou the all"glass" air path the grill isn't part of this air path.
Anyway non issue fussy everyone has there ting right its all good.
Cheers, medical mark

Medical Mark,

lwien

So its a none issue when talking abou the all"glass" air path the grill isn't part of this air path.

The grill IS part of the air path being that it's the first thing that the air comes in contact with on the vaporizer, but it is not part of the vapor path. Two different things.

With the LSV, as an example, the first thing that the air comes in contact with is the glass heater cover, but then it hits the ceramic heater, so the LSV as well, may not be considered to have an all glass air path.

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I don't have any 7th floor products I would consider all glass due to the ceramic. the screen is debatable.

I used that micro load today. I have no idea how much it was, but when I packed it down with my pinkie I could still see light coming in through the bottom holes. it really was a small amount. I could taste the hits, but not see much. the effect was there, however. I got better hits before when packing the same amount inside a ball of cotton, so position matters. I was thinking, I don't think the glass beads would be a good idea as they would change the owl characteristics too much. it's gonna take some energy to heat the glass ball all the way through and keep it there.

Medical Mark

Ya I realize that but the vapor runs through the glass path the air that comes in isnt heated its cold and then runs through the heated chamber so in my opinion its none heated cold air not affecting anything and then runs through the heated cmber then the path begins.
Just my opinion, now if the air was enclosed and heated then running through I would say its part of the path.
But i could be wrong I don't own one yet but I will soon, then I can make a proper assessment,. Right.
Just saying, medical Markham

Medical Mark,
Top Bottom