Ascent Vaporizer by DaVinci

DopeyJ

Ok in everyones mho ascent or solo

I own both, the Solo having been my primary for a long time, even over my Volcano. I have to say, after dealing with a ton of issues and messed up units/chargers, I've finally gotten it all working right, sort of. While I LOVE the Ascent, with it's portability, stealthiness, and most of all battery life, I still believe the Solo is a far more efficient vape. But take into account I may not have perfected my method yet, and it may prove to be better.

I think the Solo is far easier to load and use, since you don't have to worry about vapor escaping through the bottom. But the battery life of the Ascent is amAAAAAAAzing. At half battery, I'd have already vaped twice what a full charge would have gotten me from the Solo.

I'd say it like this:

If you want a super efficient vape that's easy to load, and you don't mind having to vape for 20-25 minutes, and you tend to primarily be a "solo" toker, get the Solo (along with a PVHES Turbo stem from PlanetVape.com, approx. $25).

If you want a super stealthy vape with no extra parts you need to carry around, gets the job done in 5-10 minutes, has a crazy good battery life (still don't know how they managed this one), and can take a load for multiple people to share, get the Ascent.

Or... if you're like me, get both, along with other vapes that spark your interest, and figure out which is best for different situations!

edit: Also have to mention, I haven't had any issues with my Solo, so I can't speak to their customer service record. But DaVinci's customer service is really quite good, possibly best in the business. If you do end up having any problems, they will fix it for you guaranteed. Especially their rep. here on the forums. That individual has changed my view of the Ascent and the DaVinci company from something very poor to something very, very good. They are a company that truly cares for their customers, end of story.

First post got ignored so i'll re-post this here....help would be greatly appreciated!
''
I'm new to vaping. I've tried packing chamomile, cats claw, peppermint, spearmint and none of them seem to produce any vapor clouds at all. Would packing weed make a huge difference on that?

I've tried lightly packing it, I've tried packing it down strongly with the glass canister as some have suggested. I've tried all different temps, higher ones just make smoke/ash. I tried with the screen in the bottom and without, same with the rubber cap on top. The only 'vapor' i get from this product at all taste like ash and smells like something is burning. (hint: i'm pretty damn sure it's not vapor) :bang:

Is there something I am missing? Is my product defective? :shrug: Can anyone link me to a source that actually shows how someone is packing their chamber or describes in extreme detail?

I've seen some videos where people get consistently visible vapor clouds, is that actually what people are getting?

I answered your first post. Someone else even liked it.

I recommended you examine your technique. Based on some of the other posts here, I put a pinch of herb on the bottom (I'd say .05 if I had to guess). I put the jar on it...not a flower or other device. I started it at 360 and got a small cloud. Bumped it to 370 for the second hit. 375 for the third, 380 for the fourth.

I examined the ABV and it was toffee brown. Based on some posts, I knew I could hit it again until it was "coffee" brown...not black, just very dark brown.

I hit it again at 385 and 390. I didn't get much, but low and behold, I got enough to feel.

Since a good deal of my medicating is insomnia related, this pleases me. I haven't tried less.

I waited at least a minute between draws. I let it wait for 20 or 30 seconds at 360 when I was starting.

I drew long and sloooooow.

It was a working dose...I would have felt very comfortable doing things other than sofalock.

If you're taking long, slow hits, you shouldn't need to burn your herbs. I usually don't pack the shit out of it. I will occasionally put a dab of wax in the middle of my load. Hits like a truck at lower temps, so I know the vape is working there too. If you have to cook them, something is wrong. Obviously the vape is heating, so I don't know what else that would be.

Last edited:
YesIt'sLoaded,

100n3y

Pre-cursor - I've been reading this since post 1 (as much as possible. Y'all are super chatty :) ) so if this info exists forgive me. I must've missed it.

I requested by email, from Davinci, about where I was on the wait list and never received a response back. Today I received the email saying "Hey!...buy one now or no freebies for joo!" Curious I roll over to the site and am able to order one as a guest, or by signing in to my account. My questions are these:

What did I miss?

Can anyone order, or do they reference by email upon ordering and send them out that way, or what?

Since I've ordered, is it going to be shipped or does THIS place me on the waiting list? I signed up for the pre-reg. on their site maaaaaaaaany moons ago (bout half a year) so I been waiting on a "It's your turn" email this whole time.

I realize this is tip-toe'ing around the shipping thread so if you gotta boot me over there that's cool. Wasn't sure.

100n3y,
Reactions: Snappo

cawshook

Solod out.
I own both, the Solo having been my primary for a long time, even over my Volcano. I have to say, after dealing with a ton of issues and messed up units/chargers, I've finally gotten it all working right, sort of. While I LOVE the Ascent, with it's portability, stealthiness, and most of all battery life, I still believe the Solo is a far more efficient vape. But take into account I may not have perfected my method yet, and it may prove to be better.

I think the Solo is far easier to load and use, since you don't have to worry about vapor escaping through the bottom. But the battery life of the Ascent is amAAAAAAAzing. At half battery, I'd have already vaped twice what a full charge would have gotten me from the Solo.

I'd say it like this:

If you want a super efficient vape that's easy to load, and you don't mind having to vape for 20-25 minutes, and you tend to primarily be a "solo" toker, get the Solo (along with a PVHES Turbo stem from PlanetVape.com, approx. $25).

If you want a super stealthy vape with no extra parts you need to carry around, gets the job done in 5-10 minutes, has a crazy good battery life (still don't know how they managed this one), and can take a load for multiple people to share, get the Ascent.

Or... if you're like me, get both, along with other vapes that spark your interest, and figure out which is best for different situations!

edit: Also have to mention, I haven't had any issues with my Solo, so I can't speak to their customer service record. But DaVinci's customer service is really quite good, possibly best in the business. If you do end up having any problems, they will fix it for you guaranteed. Especially their rep. here on the forums. That individual has changed my view of the Ascent and the DaVinci company from something very poor to something very, very good. They are a company that truly cares for their customers, end of story.
ya im going for an ascent and solo as my two devices.

The first was a generic wooden box with whip, then... vapolution, herborizer, iolite and mflb. The best of those was the herborizer other than it's fragility and non-portability. Worst was the iolite! The MFLB was ok when using the adaptor rather than batteries, except it always made me cough. As of yet I can't think of a single thing I dislike about the Ascent.
i have the same problem with the MFLB. I cant wait to get smooth hits with the Ascent.

Last edited by a moderator:
cawshook,

BBB

Just received my new Ascent today. I plugged it in....no action. I'm starting to get a little concerned. I don't see any charge indicator. No response from the unit at all. I've tried multiple different outlets that I know work. I know the manual says it should be charged for 10 hours...it has only been about 2 1/2 now...but shouldn't I be seeing some sort of charge indicator light? It seems like that is what was described earlier in this thread. I hope this unit isn't defective...it looks awesome.

BBB,

RD

"Hawaii Home Grown"
DOA was a problem with some of the earlier batch. I had one. This is the first report of this that I can remember being reported here in the most recent release. Did you get it from DV? If so, I would go to there site and contact them. They should be all over you trying to get it right.

That being said, I have been waiting for 4 days to get an RMA to return a car charger I decided I didn't want.
Good Luck

RD,

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
I wonder why they're DOA if they get QC'd (even moreso now)? Could it be an actual charger cable issue?

Quetzalcoatl,

RD

"Hawaii Home Grown"
I am assuming he has tried to power it on and got nothing. Most of them now seem to be delivered with about 3/4 charge.

If he is getting power on but no charging indicator, then yes it would be the charger.

RD,
Reactions: OF

BBB

I'm getting no action whatsoever. No power up, no charging indicator light, nothing. I'm about 3 1/2 hours in now since I plugged it in, and it won't do anything but look good right now.

BBB,

RD

"Hawaii Home Grown"
I'm getting no action whatsoever. No power up, no charging indicator light, nothing. I'm about 3 1/2 hours in now since I plugged it in, and it won't do anything but look good right now.

Bummer! __it happens. Like I said this is a "one of" that they will exchange with hopefully little hassle.

RD,

Smknbud

Pre-cursor - I've been reading this since post 1 (as much as possible. Y'all are super chatty :) ) so if this info exists forgive me. I must've missed it.

I requested by email, from Davinci, about where I was on the wait list and never received a response back. Today I received the email saying "Hey!...buy one now or no freebies for joo!" Curious I roll over to the site and am able to order one as a guest, or by signing in to my account. My questions are these:

What did I miss?

Can anyone order, or do they reference by email upon ordering and send them out that way, or what?

Since I've ordered, is it going to be shipped or does THIS place me on the waiting list? I signed up for the pre-reg. on their site maaaaaaaaany moons ago (bout half a year) so I been waiting on a "It's your turn" email this whole time.

I realize this is tip-toe'ing around the shipping thread so if you gotta boot me over there that's cool. Wasn't sure.
I won't be chatty ;)......but if you were able to place the order, your golden.

stickstones

Vapor concierge
@DopeyJ

nice comparison!

I will say two things...I can get a Solo session done in 6-8 minutes if need be. And I wonder if your battery is going bad after all that use. I have a replacement batt for my Solo on order that I expect to make it like new again. But the batts in the Ascent are definitely a plus!

stickstones,

vapecapz

So I finally got my glass flowers and am FINALLY seeing some decent sessions out of the ascent dropping 2 or 3 flowers on the top. Has anyone managed to source a bigger, less fiddly glass spacer yet?

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I went to a craft store the other day and bought some small glass beads for a necklace. I can't put more than five in at a time, if that gives you any idea of the size. so far so good. it pack some herb in there, put a couple of beads, more herb, more beads, then go to town.

stickstones,

armin

so not to sound stupid, but I am going to ask anyways. The reason I vape is because i am a 30 year smoker and am looking for some healthier alternatives for my condition than pills. And the bong helps, but vaping is better for you.

So the stupid question is, if we clean the glass thoroughly, is there any negative heath effects or fumes that come with heating up glass beads from a hobby store and inhaling it. My guess is no, but better to ask since i don't know 100%.

OF

So I finally got my glass flowers and am FINALLY seeing some decent sessions out of the ascent dropping 2 or 3 flowers on the top. Has anyone managed to source a bigger, less fiddly glass spacer yet?

Glad you're finding success as well. I believe everyone who has posted about trying the flowers has reported useful improvement?

As far as "bigger, less fiddly glass spacer" goes, sure there are lots of options. However, since they don't have such large increase is surface area they don't work as well as the flowers do. Yes, I tried glass beads but they tend to be spheres.....exactly the wrong shape, in fact the worst possible shape. Which is why I recommended the flowers.

By all means guys should poke at the idea, but IMO the flowers aren't half the hassle in routine use many are reporting. Provided your bud is well cured it doesn't foul the flowers (any more than the walls of the oven), they keep the spent load loose so they're easy to pick out of the ABV when cool and putting them in doesn't call for any precision because of their shape. I only did it for a week or so before I had to return the Ascent I was loaned, but tossing a couple in the empty bowl, putting half the expected load in with a few more in the center dropped on top before adding the last of the load and lightly compressing it with my finger tip before poking the last few 'stem down' (like thumbtacks) into the load before shutting the door adds only a few seconds to the drill and makes it easier to close the door without having the top bit of herb scraped off.

Thanks for the report. I continue to think that owners who haven't invested a few dollars to try this out have missed an opportunity. Even if you don't use them on every load?

So the stupid question is, if we clean the glass thoroughly, is there any negative heath effects or fumes that come with heating up glass beads from a hobby store and inhaling it. My guess is no, but better to ask since i don't know 100%.

Not a stupid question for sure.

In most cases, no problems since the glass was fired to a much higher temperature in manufacture. That said there are some surface treatments (including lead based paints!) sometimes involved in 'craft beads' as well as true antiques. If you want to be 100% sure you can do what I did, put the beads on a brick and torch the little tikes like you know what you're doing. Then wash them and soldier on.

Best wishes.

OF

Czechyourhead

so not to sound stupid, but I am going to ask anyways. The reason I vape is because i am a 30 year smoker and am looking for some healthier alternatives for my condition than pills. And the bong helps, but vaping is better for you.

I looked in a craft store for glass beads and found nothing suitable. I saw a few packages that literally said "Warning may contain lead". Buyer beware.

JohnJacobs

Ok guys so Ive been a "browser" of FC for probably over a year now but never joined because well i was er am still combusting i switched to an ecig about 3 months ago so no more nasty burnt tobacco but im still burning those purple flowers but all that is about to change because as soon as my mail lady gets here(within the hour) i shall have an ascent for my first vape! :D as well as a large 4pc titanium spacecase to go with it....im so excited to say fuck combustion!

DopeyJ

@DopeyJ

nice comparison!

I will say two things...I can get a Solo session done in 6-8 minutes if need be. And I wonder if your battery is going bad after all that use. I have a replacement batt for my Solo on order that I expect to make it like new again. But the batts in the Ascent are definitely a plus!

It's definitely possible the batteries are going. I've been using it 2-4+ times a day for approx. a year, depending on how intense the pain is and how stressed out I am that day, so it's probably aging pretty heavily. My Crohn's disease requires fairly heavy usage to manage the pain, so battery life and reliability are very important to me. Both devices deliver on that need, but the more I use the Ascent, the more I believe it will be my primary vape. I just wish there was a way to pre-load cartridges or something so that it doesn't take 5 minutes to load a bowl. The oil cans just do not help here, as I've found using them to be highly inefficient and do not medicate enough for my needs.

DopeyJ,

Nesta

I was wondering the same thing. In fact, to be safe, I picked out the colored flowers & am only using the clear ones in the Ascent.

How they get the color in, or on the glass flowers?

OF

I will skip the craft store then for sure. Thanks

Sounds like a good call to me. Be ironic indeed to go to all the effort to avoid the health risks of blazing to be done in by a cheap bead from China.......

I was wondering the same thing. In fact, to be safe, I picked out the colored flowers & am only using the clear ones in the Ascent.

How they get the color in, or on the glass flowers?

Not to worry, that's colored glass (like beer and wine bottles....), not some coating put on afterwards. I'm told the ones to watch out for most are the iridescent ones which makes some sense but IMO it's just a good area to avoid as there are alternatives like the flowers that are intended for 'pipe use'. IMO the most scary ones are the ones with lead paint......come on, kids put beads in their mouths.....always have.

OF

Top Bottom