Ascent Vaporizer by DaVinci

lwien

He's got paragraphs, all he needs to do is add an extra carriage return in between them to alleviate that "wall of text" effect. Jive you made a great point though about convection, it just doesn't happen very effectively with cold air!

Carriage return?? LOL.

I wonder how many people here have absolutely no idea what in hell you're talking about.

jivebuggered

Ok because im a bit of a beginner i have possibly stuck this in the wrong section? . I have/ had MFLB, Extreme Q, Silver Surfer, CERA, Solo and now the Ascent. Have sold MFLB, SS, CERA. I use the EQ only occassionaly these days simply because it is outside in the shed and is more suitable for larger crowds (which i dont get). My main vap has been the Solo mainly due to the great taste and vapor, small amount of material needed and adaptability (re oil or hash). I have never had a problem at airports etc with the solo as opposed to the CERA .I found that the CERA, SS, EQ and the ascent all have high AIR to VAPOR ratios compared to the HIGH VAPOR to AIR ratio that the Solo has and so far is unique in that regard.The only negatives i could say about the Solo is the harder draw (which i am used to now) and having to invert to use, but nothing major and i am on to my second battery the first lasting over a year.
The positives about the Ascent are the looks and the easy draw i have yet to test at airports etc. Mine seemed to arrive ok over a week ago with no major faults as yet. the inside of the screen looks a bit weird like they left some sort of film or something in there but no big deal. The negatives would have to be the high air to vapor ratio and the high amount of material needed to get "average" clouds. The inside glass screen can be a bit of a bastard to clean properly with iso. Like the CERA it still gets you medicated but NOT as MUCH, so yes to a degree the size and thickness of the "cloud" does make a difference in my opinion with the potency of course there are always the variables re heat, drawing rate etc.
I tried useing the oil pot with two holes drilled to match two of the heater bowl holes to try and reduce the amount of material used. Yes it worked but the amount of draws and vapor wasnt that great, also it is a hassle trying to empty it with a red hot glass bowl to repack as would having to hassle with spacers or what not. I would not even consider using the oil bowl for oil far simpler to either mix the oil with the material or drop a bit of oil onto the top of the (Solo) bowl and then sandwich it with more material on top. If i was to take the smaller amount of stuff i used in the Ascent and used it in the Solo bowl i am damn sure i would get a lot more "bang for my buck". I found that loading the Ascent bowl i would have to firmly pack a medium grind to get average vapor clouds.
If you think about the mechanical side of things how the Ascent and the Solo differ you would have to first realize that with the Solo the HEATED air comes down the sides of the stem and through,(to a small degree) the tiny holes at the bottom of the heated bowl hence the higher vapor ratio due to the small amount of air hitting the slightly "baked" material in the glass stem. I rang Arizer years ago asking how to enlarge the bottom holes and was told that if more air was allowed in then the temp could not be maintained because of the cooling effect on the small heater bowl. I gather the hot air is generated from the bottom and sides of the bowl and would hit all of the material mainly from the bottom and then get sucked through with the draw.
With the Ascent you have the material "baking" from the bottom and sides ALL THE TIME and when you try to get the vapor you are drawing COLD air through FOUR LARGE air holes that have to seep through the middle of the material being baked as opposed to hot air being sucked through, this to me is the MAJOR reason why we do not get large clouds. If you are not getting HOT air going through the material you wont vaporize it properly. Apart from the massive amount of air (hence the easy draw) coming though the bottom there might also be air being "leaked" from the sides or anywhere else. It is the HOT AIR we need going through NOT something getting baked mainly from the sides (and a little from the bottom)with COLD air going through!. Even if you seal all the air leaks and restrict the air flow from the bottom it may help BUT the basic design is flawed BECAUSE you are not getting hot air THROUGH the material. That`s my rave anyway.

Ok while im on a roll here!. If you were somehow able to change the Solo glass stem to oval shape and were able to insert into the Ascent heater bowl (would be the same as inserting into the Solo only different shape) i still feel it would not be great BECAUSE OF THE LARGE AIR HOLES and hence not enough HOT air going through= insufficient vaporization!

jivebuggered,

grokit

well-worn member
The IBM Selectric had multiple typefaces fonts!

us__en_us__ibm100__selectric__golf_ball__620x350.jpg

baltik

Baltic - it should operate off of ac power w/ no charge

These issues w/ air leaks are due to the poor fit between the glass stem and glass screen. The straight adaptor fits much tighter to the glass screen and resolves the problem (at the loss of stealthiness). I need to find a grommet that seals the retractable stem to the glass screen. While vapor might have slight contact w/ the grommet, it's better than having total contact w/ everything else.

My personal experience is different, I was able to use the Ascent just fine when it was plugged in so long as it had a significant charge already. If the ascent battery is dead it won't work just by plugging it in. My theory is that the ascent is discharging during use at a rate of 70% an hour and charging at a rate f 30% an hour (I pulled these out of my a$$ but seem ballpark based on my observations). Bottom line - if you are completely discharged or significantly discharged plugging it in won't help much. I also believe Davinci confirmed in an earlier thread that there is no pass-through AC mode

My leak was actually at the hinge, I wasn't really able to get any vapor even at a full 430

Last edited:
baltik,

jivebuggered

Jive...

Try for more breaks in your paragraphs to make it a bit easier to read. Volume is great when you have things to say...but it's like eating that Elephant...better in small bites at a time...:)
Yep it`s true my wife keeps reminding me. (wait let me rephrase that)

He's got paragraphs, all he needs to do is add an extra carriage return in between them to alleviate that "wall of text" effect.

Jive you made a great point though about convection, it just doesn't happen very effectively with cold air! So I'm quoting that part for discussion:
Thanks, what a shame DiVinci was sooooooo close to the near perfect vap (there will never be a perfect!) If i were Di Vinci would go back to the drawing board and tweek it a bit more by maybe borrowing some ideas from the Solo because they seem to have it right in lots of ways and if they incorporated some of the Ascents lines we would have a NEAR perfect vap. I gotta get over this addiction of waiting for the next new fangled vap. AAAAHHHHHH!!!!!

mod note: Please avoid back-to-back posts, use Edit instead. Two posts merged.

Last edited by a moderator:
jivebuggered,
Reactions: grokit

OF

inside the Ascent. Non working unit. Friend let me pull out the top, since his unit is totally broken. My unit works if I use his charger.

Cool photo, thanks. From here sure looks like that battery on the right is soldered in? So much for the hopes of user replacement.....

Carriage return?? LOL.

I wonder how many people here have absolutely no idea what in hell you're talking about.

Trivial. How many can ID "CRLF"?

From memory, no cheating with Google now guys......

OF

OF,

grokit

well-worn member
carriage return line feed

I can't believe I actually knew that.

We actually used ibm selectrics for typesetting in hs graphic arts.

grokit,
Reactions: OF

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
Ok so here are my thoughts on the ascent that nigel was nice enough to lend me. I want to start this off by saying I am by no means a reviewer and my needs are different then yours. I will try to separate the subjective from objective from my observations. I am giving the subjective because some of you know how I vape and it may be helpful if not don’t read that part.

I vape at around 375 on all vapes. I like about a 10-12 min session. Just a note would love something like the MFLB in a pen with straight oil no pg or vg. Ok let’s carry on. Most of my portables can do a bowl twice just an FYI.

First observations:
1. It looks nice but old school cell phones are rare so it will bring attention.
2. I didn’t really check for cosmetic issues as that is not my thing. It is like the rest of the plastic vapes I have. If it works cosmetics don’t mean much to me but stealth or feel does.
3. Wow the bowl is big and I like big but even for me it is to big...well I will cover this.
4. Battery wasn’t full when I got it and don’t know if it was fully charged before mailing. I think it took an hour but I forgot.
5. Glass felt fragile to me and was much smaller then I thought in thickness and diameter.
6. It was hard to open but that was because I was scared to break the glass if it was caught. I used a tweezer to pull up the screen from the top to make sure.
7. As most said glass jars are small but I would think for wax or oil you wouldn’t want them big but I dunno.

I think that is it with my impressions if I forgot something I suppose it will be covered in my words somewhere.

I filled the bowl to the top as was suggested to me by a few people. Ok I will buy in and did...packed...loaded...packed blah blah. I used the can as all suggested. I weighted out a gram before I packed it. I had a solo stems worth left so I will guesstimate .8 in the ascent. I could have fit the whole gram with no issue but that would have been to max max max full. I thought it was harsh..............don’t get your panties in a twist as I used it many times many different ways and last night did it just with the stem again and it wasn’t harsh. We blame the harsh on nigel for no other reason then just because. It was more then likely the iso and salt even though I rinsed it. Iso never really bothered me so my guess is the salt but again it doesn’t matter cause it wasn’t the ascents fault.

So my guess which was wrong would be .8 this should last me many sessions and I would be wrong. Oh as of yet I have not used the buddy rim. Back to the story...I got visible vapor at 375 where I had it set but remember the salt and it hurt so I backed off to 360 and still got visible vapor. I hung there till it was gone and worked back up to 375 and walla less then 12 mins and no more vapor. I took out the herb and it was really dark. I should have looked at it under a loop but I didn’t as I wasn’t really a reviewer for this vape.

Next session fuck those who said pack it full. BTW I did get medicated nicely and it lasted a good amount of time. I had no idea at this point why it was harsh so I extended the path with one of my long straws. The session was ok but to much air for my liking...see I said my subjective. I covered the grill to slow the flow and slowed my draw as well. I got vapor but something wasn’t satisfying me. I didn’t enjoy my session again 10 mins this time using the same temps 360-375...towards the end when there was no vapor I bumped it up and got the meds I needed but I am not keen on high temps as it makes me more useless. I still had the long straw on so the vapor was cool and less harsh..I again had almost spent abv according to my eyes.

Moving on, next I said fuck this I need something diff cause this is now about a gram and half and well only two sessions wtf. Just a reminder packing down like you all said and then again cause once is never enough. I now decided to try less herb. Packed a solo stem very full flat screen so it was full and dumped it in my tray. I filled the ascent with that amount and then to solo stem to see my medication level at some point later on and efficiency for my usage YMMV. I again am still having issues with the open flow so I put an omi condom tip on the stem. This improved it greatly...air flow taste even though that was great from the get go and a little easier to make vapor. This was my favorite way to use the ascent although I wasn’t done. Again the session quit on me just under 10 minutes no meds coming in I can feel it. No vapor either so I bumped it up little by little to max and still no vapor left. Now remember I filled the solo with the same amount, same strain, two session all great 24 mins on the same amount of herb and way more medicated again in my usage YMMV.

Next and last test as this is a stupid long post and fairly sure it will end up being back to back as I am not typing this on the site....if I lost it I would be mad so thought better of it.

I left the omi tip on and went for the water using the same solo size amount...nothing just nothing. Starting raising the temp and well just not satisfying. I took it out of my infamous and cranked it up to 430 which is unheard of for me and finished the load off in a few minutes.

I looked at my load through a loop and also did one more session and looked at that as well and there is some green but I don’t see trichs...I put it through the INH once and I got a few more hits but no visible vapor.

Final thoughts...if you love the pax and don’t need to be as stealthy this is the vape for you. I think it uses way more herb then my lineup and it extracts faster maybe but I just don’t get the mileage out of my herb and needed so much herb when I used the ascent to get where I needed to be. The taste is great after I fixed the harshness that was from the salt. I do even think the taste is better then the solo...for me the smoothness not as much but close. I did cough with the ascent and that is a no no for me. I didn’t let it die since it isn’t my vape but I charged it when I got it and it is fairly low now. Well under a quarter of the meter when I just turn it on to check. You can count the sessions and or time from this post for some reason I didn’t.

I have more to say but this post is way to long and I appoligize. I may write more as someone brings something up. Overall this is not a vape for me but some will enjoy it. Cloud chasers will not but like I said it does medicate but it eats herb for breakfast. Battery life is questionable. I didn’t even bother trying wax as I thought it would just be a waste and we know that is big bucks. Not that herb is cheap but I have a stash so I didn’t mind.

I hope this helped some of you make a decision one way or another.

OF

carriage return line feed

I can't believe I actually knew that.

We actually used ibm selectrics for typesetting in hs graphic arts.

Bingo! First time out.....you've evidently still got some functioning memory cells, cherish them.

Yes, CR without LF lets you do overstrikes. Those were the days....waiting at the computer center for your (punch card input) program to come out of the line printer behind the glass.....

Thanks for playing my silly game.

OF

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
I forgot..loading it is bitch for me cause the thing doesn't stand and is off balance even if you prop it up. I rather believe it or not, load the original DV because of the lip which made the herb stay on the vape. I had more herb on my bed then in the vape. Unloading is a pain also even though it is easy it is awkward. I had herb all over the place then too.

When I looked the screen was sticky and gunked up and herb was inside the glass. I was going to try to do a screen mod but I just didn't care enough to try to get it working the way I wanted it to work. All in all to me it left a lot to be desired.

rsqemt911

Ok so here are my thoughts on the ascent that nigel was nice enough to lend me. I want to start this off by saying I am by no means a reviewer and my needs are different then yours. I will try to separate the subjective from objective from my observations. I am giving the subjective because some of you know how I vape and it may be helpful if not don’t read that part.

I vape at around 375 on all vapes. I like about a 10-12 min session. Just a note would love something like the MFLB in a pen with straight oil no pg or vg. Ok let’s carry on. Most of my portables can do a bowl twice just an FYI.

First observations:
1. It looks nice but old school cell phones are rare so it will bring attention.
2. I didn’t really check for cosmetic issues as that is not my thing. It is like the rest of the plastic vapes I have. If it works cosmetics don’t mean much to me but stealth or feel does.
3. Wow the bowl is big and I like big but even for me it is to big...well I will cover this.
4. Battery wasn’t full when I got it and don’t know if it was fully charged before mailing. I think it took an hour but I forgot.
5. Glass felt fragile to me and was much smaller then I thought in thickness and diameter.
6. It was hard to open but that was because I was scared to break the glass if it was caught. I used a tweezer to pull up the screen from the top to make sure.
7. As most said glass jars are small but I would think for wax or oil you wouldn’t want them big but I dunno.

I think that is it with my impressions if I forgot something I suppose it will be covered in my words somewhere.

I filled the bowl to the top as was suggested to me by a few people. Ok I will buy in and did...packed...loaded...packed blah blah. I used the can as all suggested. I weighted out a gram before I packed it. I had a solo stems worth left so I will guesstimate .8 in the ascent. I could have fit the whole gram with no issue but that would have been to max max max full. I thought it was harsh..............don’t get your panties in a twist as I used it many times many different ways and last night did it just with the stem again and it wasn’t harsh. We blame the harsh on nigel for no other reason then just because. It was more then likely the iso and salt even though I rinsed it. Iso never really bothered me so my guess is the salt but again it doesn’t matter cause it wasn’t the ascents fault.

So my guess which was wrong would be .8 this should last me many sessions and I would be wrong. Oh as of yet I have not used the buddy rim. Back to the story...I got visible vapor at 375 where I had it set but remember the salt and it hurt so I backed off to 360 and still got visible vapor. I hung there till it was gone and worked back up to 375 and walla less then 12 mins and no more vapor. I took out the herb and it was really dark. I should have looked at it under a loop but I didn’t as I wasn’t really a reviewer for this vape.

Next session fuck those who said pack it full. BTW I did get medicated nicely and it lasted a good amount of time. I had no idea at this point why it was harsh so I extended the path with one of my long straws. The session was ok but to much air for my liking...see I said my subjective. I covered the grill to slow the flow and slowed my draw as well. I got vapor but something wasn’t satisfying me. I didn’t enjoy my session again 10 mins this time using the same temps 360-375...towards the end when there was no vapor I bumped it up and got the meds I needed but I am not keen on high temps as it makes me more useless. I still had the long straw on so the vapor was cool and less harsh..I again had almost spent abv according to my eyes.

Moving on, next I said fuck this I need something diff cause this is now about a gram and half and well only two sessions wtf. Just a reminder packing down like you all said and then again cause once is never enough. I now decided to try less herb. Packed a solo stem very full flat screen so it was full and dumped it in my tray. I filled the ascent with that amount and then to solo stem to see my medication level at some point later on and efficiency for my usage YMMV. I again am still having issues with the open flow so I put an omi condom tip on the stem. This improved it greatly...air flow taste even though that was great from the get go and a little easier to make vapor. This was my favorite way to use the ascent although I wasn’t done. Again the session quit on me just under 10 minutes no meds coming in I can feel it. No vapor either so I bumped it up little by little to max and still no vapor left. Now remember I filled the solo with the same amount, same strain, two session all great 24 mins on the same amount of herb and way more medicated again in my usage YMMV.

Next and last test as this is a stupid long post and fairly sure it will end up being back to back as I am not typing this on the site....if I lost it I would be mad so thought better of it.

I left the omi tip on and went for the water using the same solo size amount...nothing just nothing. Starting raising the temp and well just not satisfying. I took it out of my infamous and cranked it up to 430 which is unheard of for me and finished the load off in a few minutes.

I looked at my load through a loop and also did one more session and looked at that as well and there is some green but I don’t see trichs...I put it through the INH once and I got a few more hits but no visible vapor.

Final thoughts...if you love the pax and don’t need to be as stealthy this is the vape for you. I think it uses way more herb then my lineup and it extracts faster maybe but I just don’t get the mileage out of my herb and needed so much herb when I used the ascent to get where I needed to be. The taste is great after I fixed the harshness that was from the salt. I do even think the taste is better then the solo...for me the smoothness not as much but close. I did cough with the ascent and that is a no no for me. I didn’t let it die since it isn’t my vape but I charged it when I got it and it is fairly low now. Well under a quarter of the meter when I just turn it on to check. You can count the sessions and or time from this post for some reason I didn’t.

I have more to say but this post is way to long and I appoligize. I may write more as someone brings something up. Overall this is not a vape for me but some will enjoy it. Cloud chasers will not but like I said it does medicate but it eats herb for breakfast. Battery life is questionable. I didn’t even bother trying wax as I thought it would just be a waste and we know that is big bucks. Not that herb is cheap but I have a stash so I didn’t mind.

I hope this helped some of you make a decision one way or another.

It's like your taking about my ascent. I have been trying to remain optimistic, and I do like it as a concept and I have had a few good experiences, but the bad ones have tarnished it for me now. I'm aproaching 4 days of use and I really think I'm done at least until they straighten everything out.

I emailed got vape and they replied back saying its just the rubber curing and keep heating it and it will be fine.

I set the time out timer to 20 mins and ran it at 230 plugged in for the last 4 hours. Stinks worse now than before.

Hope GV doesn't make this difficult for me.

I will NOT pay for return shipping or the 15% restocking fee either.

If they give me crap, it's too late to file a claim with PayPal, isn't it?

rsqemt911,
Reactions: Maine420

OF

I forgot..loading it is bitch for me cause the thing doesn't stand and is off balance even if you prop it up.

I don't have one of course, so it's only a guess, but the top looks pretty heavy. Is it flat enough on the bottom so you can open it up and hang it over the edge of the table? That is put the top of the lower section level with and against the top at the edge and let the body keep it upright while you gently dropped the goods in?

Great review, BTW, so surprise there of course/

OF

Vapnoob

Nubile Vaporist
I got the Ascent to start charging. I had to wrap a rubber band around the charger to keep the cord bent. Hopefully tonight I'll get to see if it gases at all. Looking at my friends, any of you who have the airspace by the stem, try pushing down the rubber top. It might just make the seal a little better. Still don't know if I should send it back even if it does gas. The spots inside the bowl make me worry. Black spots inside bowl, almost looks burnt. Bowl has never been used,packed, or cleaned.
E0ru2tL.jpg

Last edited:

rsqemt911

I got the Ascent to start charging. I had to wrap a rubber band around the charger to keep the cord bent. Hopefully tonight I'll get to see if it gases at all. Looking at my friends, any of you who have the airspace by the stem, try pushing down the rubber top. It might just make the seal a little better. Still don't know if I should send it back even if it does gas. The spots inside the bowl make me worry. Black spots inside bowl, almost looks burnt. Bowl has never been used,packed, or cleaned.
E0ru2tL.jpg
the bowl is glass covered ceramic. Probably a defect from manufacturing of the ceramic (burned in kiln?). Is the spot rough (glass coating missing) or is the defect under the glaze? If its under, your probably fine but I'm sure they would replace that.

That is a Def inacceptable QC error!!!!!

No excuse not to see that.

Reflections

Looks like the 2 holes on the left side have something in the way underneath of it,restricting the air flow.
I dont like the looks of the black spots either!

Reflections,

Vapnoob

Nubile Vaporist
The spots look matte, so I don't think the glaze hit those spots, hence the burn marks. No restriction its just the angle.

Vapnoob,

lwien

Cloud chasers will not but like I said it does medicate but it eats herb for breakfast.

And this statement, in my opinion, is one of the worst things said about the Ascent. Not producing clouds while at the same time, not being efficient, is something that I don't think I've ever seen stated in any review about any vape.

When the very first reviews of this vape came in from the beta testers before any of the production runs were released, I questioned the lack of clouds at mid vapor points (365 to 395) as well as questioned the size of the bowl, and how much bud needed to be put into that bowl to produce vapor. Looks like my concerns are warranted.

Seems to me that the Ascent operates in the same way as the Pax, being that it is always cooking your herb between hits which is a bud-waster, and this, coming from someone who is an efficiency slut, just won't cut it. And when you add to this that you have to fill up a huge bowl for the vape to produce a decent hit, or have to result to some jury-rig like cotton or glass beads and such for the vape to produce a decent hit, well...........now I KNOW this vape isn't for me. Can DV address these issues? Hope so, 'cause I really had high hopes for this puppy.

A non-cloud chaser vape that is not efficient? Wow.....................You should at least be able to get one or the other.

Tweek

E0ru2tL.jpg

Return that shit. For $250 that is unacceptable and if it's missing glaze, probably not that healthy.

Tweek,
Reactions: Maine420
Top Bottom