Aromazap/Myrtlezap/CeramicRockZap

Q_

My zap arrived yesterday, along with a 13.5 adapter and the usual accessories. I've only vaped one stem so far, and it was a complete success. During the first hit I thought the air was too cold and no vapor was being produced, but then I looked into the stem and could see vapor I hadn't cleared. A couple hits later I knew it was working. The ABV was very evenly brown. With my other vape, the LB, I tend to get some greenish and some blackish -- haven't quite mastered it yet. But with the zap, I had no difficulties packing the stem, drawing air through, or knowing when to stop, in part from reading FC. It was all very intuitive, and it worked perfectly.

Rick was great. We exchanged lots of emails as I changed my mind between light and dark wood, between wanting to wait for the new custom washers and wanting my zap NOW, etc.

I will probably have more to say later, but for now, here some pretty amazing pictures my gf took while I was writing this.

http://picasaweb.google.com/106843201983198135228/ZapPictures#

Thanks Rick, and everyone here who provided info.

Q_,

collegerower

Glad to hear you like it, and thats some pretty cool looking wood. Looks like you got both some light wood and some dark wood in one zap!

collegerower,

the ob

all good in the hood.
I literally want to own a bunch of those. for now I will settle for the one I have ordered.....

the ob,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Congrats on your new Zap Q! It's a beauty. I'm so glad you didn't have any problems with your stem load. That's the hardest part, so you are well on your way. Enjoy!

ob, I can understand wanting more than one. They are each such individual pieces of art. And with light or dark stain, it can change the "personality" of the piece even more.

Since I'm fairly new to vaping (2-3-months) I'm like I used to be when I first started smoking. I can't stop buying new "toys" to use. I can't wait for Rick's glass announcement (woohoo.....more toys!). Glass cools the hit down and, for me, is aesthetically more pleasing. It's getting to the point though, that I have to put things away when people come over, just like I used to have to do when I was younger and had tons of pipes and smoking accessories. Pretty funny when you consider my age. There are only a few people who don't know my "secret" but they are the ones who totally can't handle the knowledge. Oh well, their loss. :brow:

momofthegoons,
Reactions: mvapes

Rick

Zapman
Q_s was tough because he sent me different choices. They were all the old nice ones that are hard to come by these days. His first comment was "light/dark" so that brought me to the one I picked for him. His is from the 30-40 year stashed batch of Myrtle wood we got a couple months ago.
I just ripped up a slab of what my guy had called "curly myrtle". It is mainly light wood but has some unreal grain patterns and ripples everywhere with some splotches of dark. He sent me two slabs and I am going to hold off on the second as I want to wait for the surprise. The first slab blew my mind and I have not even turned one block yet which is when the real art comes out. This is some of that famous "beach wood" we have heard about on this forum. It is very special stuff and really does fit "recycled" as it is literally scrounged from washed up wood on the beach. We love it for many reasons.
On another front, we received an original Eterra in the mail yesterday. I am going to attempt a rework on it. Pretty bad shape with a huge crack directly through the center of the top and the crack goes through the entire top portion. Kind of neat to re-kindle those old memories of almost ten years ago when we started this gig. It was the original and the inspiration for the log type vapes you see here on FC.
Should have some glass news next week. He said "give me two weeks" so we will do that before bugging him. Food grade clear tubing started going out with all orders this last week. Custom washers still not here. They ran a batch but not to my latest specs worked out with the head guy at the place. Missed communication......again, but the correct ones will be here soon. Seems we always learn more about patience the older we get.

Rick,

the ob

all good in the hood.
wow,
the curly myrtle sounds amazing. I cannot wait to see what my piece looks like. I want something really cool and unusual. I am sure whatever I get will be great.

also, as I am sure everyone is, I am excited to see and purchase some of the new glass.

the ob,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Rick, you're making me drool. :lol:

One of the things that really attracts me to the Zap is how Rick uses recycled materials. I read earlier in this thread that the leather is from the thrift shop in town, the wood is beach wood, etc. How cool. I'm an avid thrift shopper and recycler. I love recycling old materials into new things and breathing new life into them. I also like how Rick can see the connection between many of his Zaps and their new owners. It can be the light/darkness of the wood, a figure in the grain, etc. The eye of a true artist. I'm really looking forward to seeing the two coming my way in the near future.

momofthegoons,
Reactions: mvapes

combusche

rick, you really should put a contact email or at least a contact form on your site, i tried to find your email there but couldn't find it - under normal circumstances, if i was a prospective customer and i saw that your site does not have email, i would probably flag it as a scam. just a friendly advice from a customer.

anyway, i love the aromazap but i was wondering if you have whips available to connect to bongs. i really dislike using the stem directly on the bong because the connection always seemed so weak and since i use a 18.8 -> 14.5 adaptor, the combined downstem is kinda long and hence pretty weak. i don't even dare to relax for a second when i put the whole block of wood with the stem unto the downstem.

combusche,

the ob

all good in the hood.
their email is there at the bottom of the "shop" section. It is there to email about stems. It could be easier to find. maybe they do not want anyone emailing them. :brow: kidding of course.....

the ob,

reece

I think I mentioned before that I now pack the stem very loosely. Not only does this give a bit cooler vapor but it also delivers huge clouds more easily. I also pack a very tiny bit. Probably less than half a stem tip. I heat up the stem first. It helps the material stay in the tip. I may have a two or three stem session now but I get the tasty "green hit" more often.

So I recently got two strains and neither gives much vapor. I've been vaping for several years and this happens every now and then. It is very disappointing and dissatisfying. Seriously, I get one alright hit and the bowl is done. And I'm being kind by saying alright. Especially so considering how small I pack my bowls. It's been almost a week now.

But, because my mental acuity is far beyond that of normal human beings, I have found a solution. After all of these years I have found that PACKING MORE IN THE BOWL WILL GIVE MORE VAPOR.

Now take your time to soak that in. I'm sorry that I am not able to explain it in a way you would understand if you are not on my level. It is part of the curse of being much more advanced than my peers. :uhoh:

I don't think Stephen Hawking could have figured this out as quickly as I did.

I think I am almost a super genius.

combusche said:
rick, you really should put a contact email or at least a contact form on your site, i tried to find your email there but couldn't find it - under normal circumstances, if i was a prospective customer and i saw that your site does not have email, i would probably flag it as a scam. just a friendly advice from a customer.
Rick has said the website is being reworked. A contact link on each page would make things easier but, on the left of the home page there is a link that says "shop." On that page are two email links. There is also an email link on the FAQ page under "how do I get a zap."

reece,

Rick

Zapman
Yes, our website is a joke to say the least. We were on a pretty good roll to improve it in many ways, then a family situation forced us to put that on hold. Now we are ready to go again and I cannot get in touch with the person who is/was going to do it. Funny thing as he has been paid some $ and trade. We do learn alot about human nature on the internet.
This ball will roll soon too, whether he gets in touch with me or not.
My apologies on the website. I do not have the time or the inclination to do it myself.

Rick,

the ob

all good in the hood.
the website is fine. when you get the time and have the right person you will deal with it. keep on doing what you are doing.......

the ob,

karazi

Never pay up front Rick! BTW, Kudos on going ROHS compliant. I would like to know however, if you will offer any retrofitting service for currently non-ROHS compliant zaps that you have sold? I don't mean for free, as I would definitely pay up to a certain amount to have my softwood retrofitted so I can put off the purchase of a new zap until this one meets it's natural end. Thanks for the great product as always.

karazi,
karazi said:
Never pay up front Rick! BTW, Kudos on going ROHS compliant. I would like to know however, if you will offer any retrofitting service for currently non-ROHS compliant zaps that you have sold? I don't mean for free, as I would definitely pay up to a certain amount to have my softwood retrofitted so I can put off the purchase of a new zap until this one meets it's natural end. Thanks for the great product as always.
I think this has already been (briefly) discussed and the answer was that it is not really feasible as the "curing" or breaking-in process actually shrinks the wood around the hardware a bit and you could be looking at having to cut some wood to get it all out.

That being said, Rick is more magnanimous than most vendors and often offers to absorb costs in some cases.

I, personally would never impose on him like that as I think the whole low-lead vs. no-lead uproar was ridiculous and unnecessary. What does a tiny amount of lead do to you, kill a few brain cells? Big fucking deal, I killed my share of them growing up doing stupid shit and I still have plenty left! I figure as long as I can feed myself and wipe my own ass, I am good to go. ;)

Howie Feltersnatch,

the ob

all good in the hood.
howie,
what his new ROHS status does is take away any reason someone would have to not buy one of his products. This will allow him to sell goods to people who did have an issue with it. I think there were probably a lot of people who liked the look of the myrtlezap, but were not purchasing it due to the small amount of lead still present. Now it is a moot point.

the ob,

Rick

Zapman
Just picked up a tool that should help with retrofits to the new RoHS heatport. I am also waiting on the final washers I will use and maybe some glass. When we decide what to do, I want to make it fun to go for it, meaning a bonus of some kind. First though, we need to get some prices and see what will be available.
Busy today with another hat on.

Rick,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Howie Feltersnatch said:
I think the whole low-lead vs. no-lead uproar was ridiculous and unnecessary. What does a tiny amount of lead do to you, kill a few brain cells? Big fucking deal, I killed my share of them growing up doing stupid shit and I still have plenty left! I figure as long as I can feed myself and wipe my own ass, I am good to go. ;)
Quote of the month right there. :lol:

Seriously though, it takes only ~0.0006g of inhaled lead to raise the blood lead level to 10 micrograms per deciliter which is considered a cause for concern by international health agencies. Lead exposure is no joke.

Rick, can you share any more info on your upcoming glass offerings? You mentioned that you brought some pictures to your glass man. Were they pictures of CD's work?

vtac,

Rick

Zapman
VTAC
Last question first. The pictures I took were from a friend who purchased a CD whip and sent me personal pictures. I surely did refer my glass guy to FC though to peruse what you have to offer the public.
I do agree with your assessment of Howies post. I also want to remind all that you nor anyone else has ever answered my question about how does any lead in the alloy brass get to a human via our vape. Of course that question is not so important now that our heatport assembly is 100% RoHS lead free brass.
Thanks for the post on this thread. We appreciate your support.

Rick,

combusche

rick, frankly your site is fine. all you need is post an email where people can reach you. you can simply just create a free mail for this purpose also.

anyway, so what about the whip? also, will the whip somehow reduce efficiency of the vaping? currently i use an EHLE 500ml, pack a stem full (level at the opening) and usually i get 2 nice sized hits from the waterpipe, which is ridiculously efficient.

ps: rick, do you ever intend to mass produce and sell the zaps (i mean much more than what you're producing now)? or will it remain as a side thing/ hobby / whatever it is to you right now?

combusche,

collegerower

vtac said:
Rick, can you share any more info on your upcoming glass offerings? You mentioned that you brought some pictures to your glass man. Were they pictures of CD's work?
Is there a problem with sharing photo's of CD's glasswork? What does it matter what he showed?

collegerower,

caseball2051

anyone else expeirment with twisting the stem as you hit it?

I found that I seem to get more vapor when doing dso

caseball2051,
Top Bottom