Aromazap/Myrtlezap/CeramicRockZap

chib

Kush please
Albert Hofmann said:
chib said:
Got the Red bow Myrtle burl today :)
Thanx chib, I can finally stop lusting over that one.

hehe :)

It was posted a couple weeks ago. And I had just purchased my walnut one a week prior so financially I wasn't able to get her. But It was love at first sight. :brow:

Apparently some guy already tried to buy it via cash, but came up empty on the green so it was reposted.

chib,
I am making progress with my zap but finding the learning curve a little curvier than initially thought. I'm hoping someone can provide some feedback for me.

After Friday's tremendous performance, my zap was a little under-performing last night. I could never really get a solid hit no matter what I tried from grinding new and fine to slow and slower draws, and my herbs were still pretty green when it felt like I could get nothing more out of it. So I figured power supply. I don't have any near outlets for my seating arrangement, and the only available extension cord was a 16ga I had lying around. Maybe couldn't handle power to the transformer and overheated the cord?

Went and got a 14ga heavier cord today, and it is working much, much better. I am averaging about 2 big, 2 good, and 1-2 wispy hits per stem on my tooty. One thing I have noticed is that it seems if I hold the zap in my hand that the heat dissipates faster when I draw on my stem. It seems like I get better hits if I leave the zap alone between hits. Does that sound typical? Do my hands draw the heat out? Or maybe it's all in my head? I do like holding it between draws. It's like a comfortable little personal hand warmer.

TheDudeNextDoor,

Nycdeisel

Look for something that isnt made in China :p

Seriously though, look for a high quality American made piece(anything that looks liek that one you posted or is very cheap will most likely be from china.

An SSFG tube would serve you well with the zap. See ssfgglass.com

Nycdeisel,
Nycdeisel said:
Look for something that isnt made in China :p

Seriously though, look for a high quality American made piece(anything that looks liek that one you posted or is very cheap will most likely be from china.

An SSFG tube would serve you well with the zap. See ssfgglass.com

The "Limmited" time offer should have tipped me off if nothing else. LOL. Any other good glass places the forum can recommend?

TheDudeNextDoor,

Nycdeisel

Aqualabtechnoligies, highpriorityglass,RXindustries, great places to find quality, affordable(not everything on all of these sites will be what youre looking for) glass pieces.

I bought my Headford inline from Aqualab. They had a disk bubbler too which looks real interesting.
the headford inline is the best thing ive used with logs, works amazingly well(if you havent seen my videos)

Nycdeisel,
Nycdeisel said:
Aqualabtechnoligies, highpriorityglass,RXindustries, great places to find quality, affordable(not everything on all of these sites will be what youre looking for) glass pieces.

I bought my Headford inline from Aqualab. They had a disk bubbler too which looks real interesting.
the headford inline is the best thing ive used with logs, works amazingly well(if you havent seen my videos)

Ah hell, man. You've just given me hours of online fun with my laptop on my lap and my zap at my side. Glad tomorrow is a holiday for me. :lol:

TheDudeNextDoor,

cluffy

Vaker
@TheDudeNextDoor, go to the FC chat, or 'live help' as it's called nowadays. Someone there always has good links for glass, I've been schooled plenty there!!

cluffy,

beach bum

Let's see if I can get the image to post (snagged off the website yesterday and can't wait to see her in person! :p)

beach bum,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Dude, NYC has a good point about those pill bottles. If I were you, I would pick up a small plastic bottle (around 4 oz) that they sell in the travel sections of stores like Target. Different plastics react in different ways to ISO. I'm glad the other tips helped. ;) I do not think holding your Zap in your hands is going to lower the heat. I do think that your power was probably the problem. I have often wondered how my Zaps can be cooler sometimes than others when using the same power source. It's all about supply and demand on the grid. Could of also had something to do with your cord.

NYC, the crack in your black locust made me cringe. Ouch! Poor baby.

Some nice new Zaps out there.... I was actually eyeing that Cedar too THC! Beautiful.

And beachbum, that Ambrosia Maple is a good one. There have been a couple that came out after I got mine that made me wonder if I had jumped the gun. This was one of them. But, it just goes to show you that as soon as you think you have the "prettiest" Zap, another one comes along and blows that theory. :lol:

momofthegoons,

beach bum

Good morning, mom. I had to stalk the website to get that one. I thought your birthday CRZ was absolutely lovely (loved NYCD's Ambrosia Maple also!) - so have been watching for an opportunity to get something similar. I was very happy to see Rick post up a few new ones yesterday. They weren't there before walking the dog in the morning, but they were popping up once I came back inside. I didn't waste any time getting the order in! :D

beach bum,

THCMuscle

beach bum said:
Good morning, mom. I had to stalk the website to get that one. I thought your birthday CRZ was absolutely lovely (loved NYCD's Ambrosia Maple also!) - so have been watching for an opportunity to get something similar. I was very happy to see Rick post up a few new ones yesterday. They weren't there before walking the dog in the morning, but they were popping up once I came back inside. I didn't waste any time getting the order in! :D

No kidding! That thing was sold practically the second it went up. I was stalking it too... You're quick! :) Beautiful Ambrosia Maple.

THCMuscle,

beach bum

Thanks THCM! I kept missing out, so feel very fortunate my timing was right on this occasion. Also saw the cedar one you picked up - that's a beauty!

Anybody know whether I'll need an insert for Ed's tubes? Or can I use 'em "as is"?

beach bum,

treecityrnd

Rick said:
Do not go over 12.5/13 volts
I've got the Jameco 13.5v but you've got me freaked to try it. Does anyone have a link to a 12.5 or 13v transformer. I may try some local places but don't want to fry my babies with bad info. I only trust Zappers for info on Zaps.

Sorry NYC. You pics made me sad :( Glad Rick is taking care of you like he always does. Best customer service in vaping.

treecityrnd,

Rick

Zapman
treecity, sorry I freaked you out. I surely did not mean to do that. I was going to write "don't go over 13.5 volts" but my natural tendency to want to lower that top number got the best of me. You are fine at 13.5 but do not make a habit of it. Do not leave it on 13.5 all the time. Use it intermittently only.
beach bum, you were quick on that Ambrosia purchase. It sold within minutes of getting up there. So glad you found something that made you happy, even BEFORE you see it for real.
chib, that little Myrtle Burl with the redwood burl stitch should make you a happy camper as she will cloud the socks off your fat, dense Walnut Zap. She is also very, very trippy to look at. Good move.
TheDude, could be you got too fine a grind? We do not like a fine grind around here as by the time you get the bowl even half filled, the pull is too restricted with a fine grind.
Imagine you are hot air(here we go, off the Zap train to the Zap transporter). Your job as hot air today is to vaporize herbal extracts from herbs. In order to do that via convection heat, you must travel through the stem tip contents at a reasonable speed. Not too slow and not too fast. You also must try to come in contact with as much herbal surface area as possible. Ultimately, ALL the exposed surface area of the tip contents. Imagine trying to get through just about ANY pack of a finely ground mixture. Very difficult and much of the ground material will clump and have no air passing THROUGH it. We need hot air THROUGH the contents, not just squeaking by. If the stem pack is coarser grind and loosely packed, you as the hot air can get right through it and pick up lots of goodies along the way. You can always consciously slow the draw if the stem pack is on the loose side. A slower draw will make for hotter air. Empathy with the Flow is what we need to work these babies correctly.
NYC, that be a lateral crack that happens very rarely. The harder woods like Black Locust seem more prone to doing that. For what it is worth, we are getting very little serious cracking of our wood. One here and there, considering how many are out there, is not much. Very dry wood to start is the key. Then we do our best to keep them that way by storing our blocks in the house. Nothing like a wood heated house in the winter to keep humidity way down.
Some stock will go back up if the customer orders via MO or check. I notify them of my address for sending payment and if it does not make it in a week, especially with no other communication from the customer, back she goes in stock. I do use Email for communication of our shipping address on those orders.
Vito, Kushin arrived safely. I do believe we will be able to straighten her out without surgery. Vito attempted to tighten the heatport in his old style brass Zap and got her top hole tweaked out of shape. She is one of Vitos favorites as she runs so hot. Yup, a hot blonde.....with her hole tweaked........might know something like that would happen with one of Vitos girls. Maybe it is just jealousy?
Now here we go with the beauty of the language.
jealousy= jee, this is lousy.
Back out of the Transporter and into the station.
Cluffy, can't wait for you to get your special piece of Elm that helps bring back fond memories.
I expect to be getting most orders, etc done today for a Tuesday trip out of Zapville.
Did you all catch the copout word? Always gotta stick that in there with another good weather day due today.

Rick,

cluffy

Vaker
YOU can't wait Rick? Nothing like the feeling of a new vape on the way. I figured I'd do some copy and pasting and share my story about Elm. It's my birthday today so I get a little leeway... :-P Here's what I wrote:

Elm has a special meaning for me because we had a GIANT Elm tree on our farm, it was right next to the sawmill. I had a super rope swing in it, when you started the rope was almost level and at the other end you were a good 40 feet in the air! It was one of the last Elms around till it finally succumbed to the dreaded Dutch Elm Disease in the mid eighties.. My Dad had a unique way of saying Elm, it was more like ELLum. As much as I want to wait and see what else you have up your sleeve, the Elm spoke to me. So Id be very happy to see that one at my doorstep some time next week. Thanks again for your great service, I look forward to reviewing a REAL RockZap!!!

Your FC post brought back memories of tailing on the sawmill, Dad would scream bloody murder when we would hit a nail. SONOFABITCH!!! Those goddamn teeth cost $2.00 a piece!!! He had a big chunk of pine he would hammer the nails into when he pulled them out, it looked like a porcupine. I can hear him telling people when they brought in logs to saw, If I hit any nails youre buying me a new set of teeth!.
Thanks for the memories too.

cluffy,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
I hope you have a very happy birthday Cluffy. Thank you for sharing. :D

I can't wait to hear what you think about your new Zap.

beachbum, yes, you will need an insert for Ed's stem. He has them and includes them with new orders. If it's for one that you've already purchased, maybe shoot him an email. I'm spacing out.... I can't remember if Rick has them too.... I seem to remember that he does.

momofthegoons,

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
beach bum said:
Anybody know whether I'll need an insert for Ed's tubes? Or can I use 'em "as is"?

I do offer a free sleeve/adapter with every sale now of a vapor tube to work with the CRZ, even gonna add a piece of 3/8" ID tubing to make work for other lag style vapes also. Not sure what the lengths should be, hoping someone will come by and let me know the size. I am trying to cover all bases with these so no one is left out!

Ed's TnT,
Rick said:
TheDude, could be you got too fine a grind? We do not like a fine grind around here as by the time you get the bowl even half filled, the pull is too restricted with a fine grind.
Imagine you are hot air(here we go, off the Zap train to the Zap transporter). Your job as hot air today is to vaporize herbal extracts from herbs. In order to do that via convection heat, you must travel through the stem tip contents at a reasonable speed. Not too slow and not too fast. You also must try to come in contact with as much herbal surface area as possible. Ultimately, ALL the exposed surface area of the tip contents. Imagine trying to get through just about ANY pack of a finely ground mixture. Very difficult and much of the ground material will clump and have no air passing THROUGH it. We need hot air THROUGH the contents, not just squeaking by. If the stem pack is coarser grind and loosely packed, you as the hot air can get right through it and pick up lots of goodies along the way. You can always consciously slow the draw if the stem pack is on the loose side. A slower draw will make for hotter air. Empathy with the Flow is what we need to work these babies correctly.

Thanks for the feedback. I very well could have grinded too fine, but I do think I was lacking power also. The first several runs, I was using the same grind from the night before that I had such success with, and I was getting hardly any perceptible vapor, although I was getting something because I was feeling the effects. Plus, I swear it feels warmer to my hand now than it did with the thinner cord. I also notice that the transformer is warm to the touch now whereas it was not when plugged into the thinner cord. I'm assuming, though, that a thinner cord is not necessarily an issue in general? I even wondered if I might be losing some heat by not having the transformer plugged directly into the outlet. Any thoughts on this?

Concerning the grind, your explanation is excellent. I was thinking a finer grind was better for air flow, but it sounds like my thinking may be inaccurate. I currently use one of those decent 4-piece Space Case knockoffs (planning to get a real SC soon), and I felt like it was leaving too much leafy material with a straight grind, so I started turning it upside down to use more like a two-piece and grinding much finer. Sounds like I need to back off a bit. I will try that next time.

TheDudeNextDoor,
Ed's TnT said:
beach bum said:

I do offer a free sleeve/adapter with every sale now of a vapor tube to work with the CRZ, even gonna add a piece of 3/8" ID tubing to make work for other lag style vapes also. Not sure what the lengths should be, hoping someone will come by and let me know the size. I am trying to cover all bases with these so no one is left out!

Hey Ed, I bought a maple burl CRZ. Do you ever have maple stems, or do you think the redwood burl you list on your website would work well with that grain?

TheDudeNextDoor,

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
TheDudeNextDoor said:
Ed's TnT said:
beach bum said:

Hey Ed, I bought a maple burl CRZ. Do you ever have maple stems, or do you think the redwood burl you list on your website would work well with that grain?

I am sorry I dont have any maple stems, have a few chunks of maple wood, just no stems. The redwood burl is the shit though, may make for a great contrast, just depends on what your flavor is. Holla at me if I can be of any help by all means!

Ed's TnT,

Nycdeisel

No Problem, TheDude, I hope you have fun checking out the sites and find something that will pair well with your zap. I am here if you have questions though im sure the chat feature can help you as well!

It is sad. It started as a very small crack, it even almost looked like a scratch at first.... until it started growing longer. I figured this wasnt very common, since i had heard no mention of such a thing, and since its not vertical on the unit, since I have heard Rick mention is not a problem if there is one small short 'crack' that goes up and down on a small section of wood. Its gonna be hard to let er cool down and ship her off. But i know she will end up in good hands in Zapville :D She will go out this week.

Cluffy: zappy burthday!

about the grind. i just want to share my preparation. I use, and have used for a while now, a small 2 piece Space Case grinder. It always does the job i need it to, and as long as the starting herbs are dry enough, it will grind to the perfect consistency. I might grind a little finer then others, but im not sure as we dont see many photos of peoples starting material(after the daily grind... haha daily grind, all i think of is Vitolos video way back) in here. Its really important that the grind is even, having different sized bits here and there sometimes is a burden.

And to be fair, I DID post a sweet photo of my new beauty on that last page, before posting the crack.

Nycdeisel,
Top Bottom