Aromazap/Myrtlezap/CeramicRockZap

Vitolo

Vaporist
6z9frp.jpg

:lol:

Vitolo,

cluffy

Vaker
Nice pic Vito. Ya know, if you buy a whole bunch of those little 3-prong to 2-prong adapters you can plug a wall wart into each spot on a power strip. It looks like a flight of stairs when you're done!! :-P

Rick, please don't forget to get the mail today!!! ;-)

cluffy,
I received a beautiful little wooden device from some cat named Rick in Idaho today. :D

I will post some pics soon, haven't even had a chance to try it yet. It's warming up for its initial run as we speak. One quick question, though. I know it depends on use, but how often in general will I need to clean the screen on the stem and how exactly do I go about doing that? It looks like it could be a major process. I should have gotten this screen kit I've been hearing about, shouldn't I?

TheDudeNextDoor,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Dude, first, I would keep on it. The more you let it get gunked up, the harder it is to clean. First, make sure your stem full is really cashed. If it isn't, some debris can stay on the screen, especially around the little retaining ring. I would use either ISO or something like 151 or Everclear. I use a small travel bottle with a cap and let the stem soak, tip down for a while (how long depends on how dirty). Sometimes, I'll shake the bottle, but if there is a lot of debris in the ISO from previous cleanings, it can lodge in the screen. You may need to use something like a Q-tip to gently dislodge any stubborn debris, both in the stem and the tip. Just be real careful around the screen area, you don't want to remove the screen or dislodge it. You should not have to replace the screen for a long time if you keep up with your cleaning and are careful not to poke it out. However, if you should poke it out, it is pretty easy to put back in.

The screen replacement kit is a nice thing to have, but not necessary. It includes some tools that make it much easier when putting in the screens and clips.

momofthegoons,

Magic9

Plant Enthusiast
Dude, congrats and enjoy. I usually clean stems once a week. Put the stems in a baggie with ISO and soak and shake for a few hours.

The screen kit came in handy for me. I used a toothpick to try to do a quick clean, but I poked the screen out and lost it. Cutting one to size is a pain in the ass so it's good to have some on hand. For me anyway. The tool is just a wooden dowel (perfect size), but having the screens and clips helps me rest a little easier.

I wasn't going to mention it yet since I'm still testing, but my black locust is considerably hotter. Even on the 12v ac, it is hotter than the ambrosia maple on 12v dc. Not sure if something is wrong or not, still trying different configuarations (different times and outlets). Should know more in few days.

Magic9,
Great explanation, mom. That sounds much easier than I feared it would be. Thank you!

I notice in Rick's literature that he suggests using Everclear instead of ISO and then to drink the alcohol after several stem cleanings. That sounds like an interesting idea. Anybody tried it? What did you use, and what did you think?

I seem to remember reading about a break-in period for my zap. Am I remembering that correctly? I've had her plugged in now for about three hours, and I'm not sure she is running quite hot enough. I'm getting some decent vapor, and I am definitely getting high, but I'm not getting super hits yet, and I'm not getting that intense taste on the first draw that I'm used to with my friend's Life Saber. It seems a little better now than an hour ago, but I'm not sure if that's just in my head.

Usage question, last one I swear, for now :) : do you leave the stem in the port between draws or remove and replace when ready to draw again?

TheDudeNextDoor,
Magic9 said:
Dude, congrats and enjoy. I usually clean stems once a week. Put the stems in a baggie with ISO and soak and shake for a few hours.

The screen kit came in handy for me. I used a toothpick to try to do a quick clean, but I poked the screen out and lost it. Cutting one to size is a pain in the ass so it's good to have some on hand. For me anyway. The tool is just a wooden dowel (perfect size), but having the screens and clips helps me rest a little easier.

I wasn't going to mention it yet since I'm still testing, but my black locust is considerably hotter. Even on the 12v ac, it is hotter than the ambrosia maple on 12v dc. Not sure if something is wrong or not, still trying different configuarations (different times and outlets). Should know more in few days.

Thanks man! I love the shape and size of this little zap. Once I figure out how to best use it, it's going to be a beautiful thing.

Good point about the screens. I will place a follow-up order. Oh, and I really dig the little carbed tooty (tootie?) Nice little piece.

TheDudeNextDoor,

Nycdeisel

I have never had to replace a screen. I just soak in ISO alcohol, wipe inside both ends with a q tip and rinse throughly through bothe ends to get all the residue and bits out.

Then you are all done! easiest cleanup of ANY thing i have used before for vaporizing or even smoking(not that i ever smoke anymore).

You dont want to leave the stem in between hits unless you are just going to exhale and then take another hit just a few seconds later. Dont leave it sitting.

It will get slightly warmer the more time it is on.

You will have to experiment a lot with the preparation of your herbs and the way you load up the stem. You would ideally like the material very dry, pretty fine and even.(not too fine or it will clog easier and you wont be able to get good hits). Be sure to load it up veeeery loosely. It should be just secure enough to handle being put into the heat port and after the first hit its kindof glued into the metal tip. Your draw technique has a lot to do with it as well. This will take time and testing, but you should get the hang of it quite quickly! Most of us did :)

Nycdeisel,
I can totally see what you mean, deisel. There is a definite learning curve. I just took a nice draw off my tooty and got that sweet taste I was expecting.

TheDudeNextDoor,

Magic9

Plant Enthusiast
Solid advice from Deez. Where I fucked up at, was I didn't grind fine enough at first. Now I go about as fine as the 2pc SC can get it. I was getting some particulate past the screen, so I added a second screen to a stem to see if that helped.. So far so good. Remember not to draw tooooo hard, as that can compact it and restrict airflow. Once you find what suits you, it's like you've been doing it forever.

Magic9,

Gobrian

I found that it was best not to grind it TOO FINE (like you would for an MFLB, for example). This would give me little airflow. After a while, I found the perfect grind (again, you want it fine, but not TOO fine) that would give me delicious lung-fulls without having to use a lot of effort to draw it, and which would also take way less time to get a full proper hit.

Gobrian,

Albert Hofmann

Convicted vapist
Quick update: I spent a goodly portion of my day comparing and contrasting the functionality of these two zaps. One being my brass myrtle, the other being my Beautiful new sumac CRZ.

I was concerned that the new one wasn't running as hot as the old one. But after a long and arduous day of intense scientific testing, I've come to the conclusion that I like, and maybe even prefer the slightly cooler temp. of the CRZ. Even though the ABV is quite a bit darker from old Myrtle. The flavor from the CRZ is far superior, and when I try the lighter ABV from the CRZ in the brass zap, I only get one whispy little pull from it before it is completely depleated and just about blackened throughout.

So I guess my conclusion is that the CRZ gets all the goodies out of my herbs just as well as my hotter running brass zap. It just does it in a smoother, tastier, cleaner way. Oh man....... I just love these things!!!

Albert Hofmann,
Still learning and trying to figure out how to best use my zap, but I will say this...I was flying last night. Wow!

Quick question: What is the average temp that a zap draws? I was reading last night that lower temps for vaping tend to give you more of a head high, which is what I like and definitely what I was experiencing last night (with a sat as well, of course, but could detect a difference between it and my Iolite). Higher temps, especially for adjustable temperature units, give more of the body high? Is that right? Is that because you have vaped through the THC and are now releasing CBDs/CBNs? Of course, I am only speaking theoretically here since I only vape LEGAL herbs. ;)

TheDudeNextDoor,

Nycdeisel

Hello Zap friends, back with another video here. this time showing my new zap :)

^click to watch

hope you guys enjoy watching these, i really make them for you all.

Nycdeisel,
Quick update. I'm still figuring this little gizmo out, but I am making vast progress. Just ground up some herbs nice and fine, did get a few particles on my tongue, but I got three nice, tasty, milky hits with a fourth little bonus hit. Wow! I am liking. And so simple and easy. I am very happy.

So particles on the tongue. Just a bit, not too obnoxious. Is this typical or an indication of overgrind?

TheDudeNextDoor,

Magic9

Plant Enthusiast
Good to hear Dude. I added a second screen to the stem, and it has been working pretty good. I get better results with a fine grind and the second screen keeps it from coming through mostly. As far as different effects from temps, I notice no difference from smoking to vaping (EFFECT wise), with the CHP I have. Of course it's an all indica though, so I hope others with multiple strains through theirs will chime in.

We love the vids Deez. I do anyway. Was that the same stem you milked twice on there?

Magic9,
Holy smokes...er...vapes Deez, that is a sharp bubbler. Where did you get that? I would love to have something like that in my repertoire. And surely that was two separate stems, yes?

TheDudeNextDoor,

Nycdeisel

what? Nope I thought it was pretty obvious that was the same stem. sorry for not specifying :lol: Its just normal to me to get a few nice hits like that out of one stem. Its safe to say i have my technique down ;) but like i say there is always room for improvement! :)

Thanks dudes. This is my all time favorite piece to use with the zaps. I got it from ALT during the black friday sale, got a pretty good deal on it too but i was eyeing this one for a LONG time and would have bought it at full price anyway, especially now that i know its so perfect for the log types vapes.

i use a cloth or t shirt or something when loading the stem with the straw method, just to limit any particulates that could irritate me.

I hope you all have a zappy weekend :wave:

Nycdeisel,
Okay, I know I'm talking to myself at this point, and everybody will show up later and roll their eyes at the zap noob getting giddy over his new toy, but I just got seven hits off one tooty stem, 3 very nice, 2 good, 2 decent. I don't want to gush too early, but I am loving this thing! I think I made the absolute right decision. And I can sit right here in my recliner and empty a spent stem and fill another and roll again without ever even putting my footrest down. It is a sweet gig.

This will probably not be new. I've not been able to read this entire thread, so someone may have already thought of this, but I was having trouble figuring out how to empty a spent stem without making a huge mess and easily catching the abv for cooking. So I took an empty prescription pill bottle and used a screwdriver to open a hole in the lid just bigger than the stem end. Then, for a bit of air flow, I used a mini-screwdriver like you use for eye glasses and poked several holes in the side of the bottle near the lid. Now I just insert the stem into the hole in the lid and blow, and all the abv collects in the bottom of the pill bottle. It works slicker than snot! Perhaps already thought of around here, but I was glad to find any easy solution at any rate.

TheDudeNextDoor,

JESUSgotNAILED

Cool idea for AVB Dude, I use a bag now and just open it slightly enough to fit my stem in there and blow out. It works for me, lot better than tupperware lol.

Magic9 said:
I dipped a qtip in iso (91%), then squeezed the excess off. Then I slid it in the stem. After pulling it out, I took the cotton off while it was still wet. Then I let it dry. I actually got two cotton tips. The one I vaped, had the least amount on it. Got 10 hits and lasted me through the whole night. The first one I hit like a normally would hit a stem and it was a monstrous cloud that had me hacking. So a little caution there. I'm saving the one with the most on it, for this weekends playoff games. I was nervous about trying, because I thought at least something would singe. Nope. Didn't even feel hot when I blew it into my hand.

My usual cleaning involves a baggie with some alcohol, soaking for hours with random shaking throughout. I did this even after qtipping it. I'm definitly going to try the cheesecloth too though. Loving the fact nothing goes to waste.

That sounds real slick, I have to try that one day. I don't know though, if my screen was dirty and I was wiping it with ISO, I perhaps would rather just soak the whole stem and make some QWISO. I suppose the q-tip method would be great if you just want to clean out the SS part of the stem and not the whole stem though... yeah that sounds right.

Also... bad news - I dislodged my screen in my glass tooty :( It's like half bent over in there, I was just using a q-tip with hot water to try to get out this hash my friend had used in there and gotten stuck. I probably should of just used ISO, oh well. I ended up pushing too hard thinking it wouldn't dislodge when poking from that end but it did. It's the glass tooty - think I can somehow use a bent paperclip or something to get it back in there or should I just order the screen kit? Stupid me! :(

One more thing. Thank you BIG time to Rick for sending me a couple more mini gong stems free of charge! I told him that the one I ordered was too short and uncomfortable to take out after just a hit or two and the guy ended up sending me two more in the size I requested. Absolutely class A customer service! This customer is not going ANYWHERE. :)

JESUSgotNAILED,

Rick

Zapman
TheDude, so glad to see you are finding the flow of the CRZ. Like all log vapes, there is a learning curve for the most efficient vaping. Very loose pack as NYC mentioned, slow and steady pull after maybe a couple quick heavier pulls to get the ball rolling will usually do the trick. My comment in general to folks is keep tweaking the process, just a little and one step at a time until you are satisfied you are getting all there is to get. Do not settle for just so-so as there is probable some more tweaking you need to do with the total flow(pack and pull).
On this subject, chibs CRZ from Canada finally made it yesterday. We laughed as soon as we opened it as we did another that arrived the same day. Wispy vapor........duh.....these were back in the day when I thought we could put ANY amount of dense wood around our center SS heat assembly. No way. I'll be getting back to both those customers later today. Both are FC members.
Nice vid again NYC. Thanks again for showing us all how to do it right.
Jesus, we must have spaced sending screens with your Tooty. I will send some out this week. The tip comes out easily, just grab with a pair of pliers and pull out with a slight twist. I know we sent extra silicone tubing for replacing the tip. Your problem will soon be fixed better as I have some custom made screens coming again only this time they will fit the SS stem tip tubing perfectly. Fixed better, take that Mr Ambrosi!

Quick note on our absence from here and the website.
We have been tackling a very big outdoor job over the last several days. We are sawing some trees into boards to add on to our sons house for more grandkid room. These trees were right around his house and were an extreme danger to his house during windstorms. Had they still been up, he would have moved the family out last week during the storm that took out our satellite internet. The logs(6 to a tree) are so big we cannot lift one end with our tractor which will lift 1500 pounds. We are getting well over 1000 board feet of sawed lumber from each tree and there were 5 trees taken. Thanks to a friend, we are using a mill that will lift and turn these logs and cut through over 20" of wood for 16 feet if asked to do so.
This is a big project but we are over the worst(biggest logs). We are getting to do this because of the incredible weather.
We are turning potential house EXPLODING trees into a house. Very fun stuff but is Zapping me for website and other work. We do have all orders caught up and I will get some new Zaps up on the website by late today for sure. When I get in at dark, the Gin flows freely and I fade out quickly. Even though I have the easy job, we are outside in 20 degrees, always moving.
Thanks again for your patience. Seems I say that alot.
No sweat on the trees. We have basically all trees on the place....lots and lots of them everywhere.

Rick,
Top Bottom