Aromazap/Myrtlezap/CeramicRockZap

the ob

all good in the hood.
hello everyone! Its been a while since I had the ability to spend any real time here. I have spent a little time catching up on what all of you have been doing and it is good to be back. Rick, it is good to see that everything is going well in zapland and I hope you are well. I am going to try to be around more often again giving my :2c: when applicable.

I like the idea of a transformer repair kit. sounds good. RIck, maybe you could take pre-orders for bubblers if people really wanted them. It still may be too big a hassle for you. I understand.

good to see you are all well and good to be back. work has a way of interfering with my free/fun time.

p.s. I have a bunch of the muslin bags and they work exceptionally well.....

rick, I am selling these things like crazy. I might have to become a reseller at some point!!!!

the ob,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Hey ob, welcome back!! :D We've been missing you and your :2c: around here. :lol:

I also like the idea of a repair kit, although I have never had any problems with any of my wall transformers. But, it would be a good thing to have around, just in case. Nothing worse than a cold Zap! Nice that Rick is addressing a problem that many log vape owners have had.

momofthegoons,
Reactions: mvapes

wehttam

Thank you so much Rick, I love this thing! I got it around 4 yesterday, plugged it in before work, and tried it out when I got back around 10. I'll admit that there was a bit of a learning curve, but I think a lot of my difficulties came from the unit just not being broken in. This morning I tried a couple more stems, and I've been baked since. The difficult thing to get used to was the hard draw, coming from a DBV, but now I kind of like working for my hits. I'll definitely have to take some pictures for you guys when I'm more sober later. It's very simple looking, with very little of the patterning that you guys seem to like so much, but i like it this way better. Myrtle has a very simple beauty to it, very hard but gentle looking.

wehttam,

the ob

all good in the hood.
wehttam,
the draw should not be THAT difficult. you should play around with the grind and how much you pack in there.

the ob,

musicislife

Got my walnut zap yesterday in the mail and have been having a lot of fun. It looks awesome, functions well, and has met all my expectations. Now that I have a zap, I have a couple questions:

What are some tips for taking pulls from the tooty? I've been able to get pretty decent draws but think I can do better once I figure out the technique.

Suggestions for best way to use the zap with a bong? I tried it once and figured out the stems it comes with fit into a 14 mm down stem so I just slid one in with the bowl packed and just held on the zap when taking pulls.

Also, I am trying an experiment and only vaping for a while. I'm a fairly heavy smoker and have been for a while so we'll see if I can stick to it (might miss cannabinoids too much) but I'll let you know how it goes.

musicislife,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
wehttam, rather than the Zap not being broken in yet, I would concur with the ob about your draw technique needing some practice. Try packing less into your stem in the beginning. If your stem is packed too full/tight the draw will be like trying to drink a milkshake that is too thick. Your herb should be dry (although some would argue this) and your grind should be like coarse ground pepper. Try puffing, rather than a constant draw. And remember, practice makes perfect. And hey.....nothing wrong with a Zap that isn't highly figured! Even the more "plain" myrtle has a beauty in the way the light plays with it. There is no such thing as an undesirable Zap, IMO. :lol: My walnut Zap is a plain gal, but gives hits that will knock your socks off.

musicislife, I would give you the same advice regarding your draw technique with your Tooty. I can't give advice regarding a bong since I don't use one, but it sounds as if you've got the right idea. And tr to hang in there with the vaping. I was a heavy smoker too before I switched over. It took a couple of weeks before I was used to the difference in high, but the aversion to the taste of smoking happened pretty quickly. I no longer miss that "couch lock" feeling at all.

I don't know if you guys missed it when Rick posted, but he has been vaping exclusively for the last couple of weeks. He has caught some flack in the past from a few who have had issue with the fact that he still would combust. Congrats on your "switch over" Rick!!!! :D Watch out world, Zapman's got more energy!! :lol:

momofthegoons,

Gunky

momofthegoons said:
snip Your herb should be dry (although some would argue this) and your grind should be like coarse ground pepper. snip

Actually there isn't all that much debate about dry herb. There was one guy who lives in low-humidity L.A. who refuses to dry his stuff. Naturally: in that climate it doesn't need to be dried any more.

Gunky,

the ob

all good in the hood.
momofthegoons said:
I don't know if you guys missed it when Rick posted, but he has been vaping exclusively for the last couple of weeks. He has caught some flack in the past from a few who have had issue with the fact that he still would combust. Congrats on your "switch over" Rick!!!! :D Watch out world, Zapman's got more energy!! :lol:

I agree with this. I actually cannot combust anymore as it actually makes me sick to my stomach. congrats rick for the change.

the ob,

lwien

Gunky said:
momofthegoons said:
snip Your herb should be dry (although some would argue this) and your grind should be like coarse ground pepper. snip

There was one guy who lives in low-humidity L.A. who refuses to dry his stuff. Naturally: in that climate it doesn't need to be dried any more.

Am I that one guy?

Average humidity in Los Angeles is 72%. Is that considered low?
http://www.cityrating.com/cityhumidity.asp?City=Los+Angeles

lwien,

Gunky

lwien said:
Gunky said:
momofthegoons said:

There was one guy who lives in low-humidity L.A. who refuses to dry his stuff. Naturally: in that climate it doesn't need to be dried any more.

Am I that one guy?

Aren't you actually in Arcadia, at the base of the San Gabriel Mountains? I looked at your weather on wunderground today and the humidity there was 29. I call that so low you don't need to do any drying if the material has ever been out in the air. :D

Gunky,

lwien

Gunky said:
lwien said:
Gunky said:

Am I that one guy?

Aren't you actually in Arcadia, at the base of the San Gabriel Mountains? I looked at your weather on wunderground today and the humidity there was 29. I call that so low you don't need to do any drying if the material has ever been out in the air. :D

Ok, let's put this to rest. The reason that I don't like drying out my bud has absolutely NOTHING to do with the relative humidity where I live. It has everything to do with a desire to get the full flavor out of my bud. By the second hit, it is as dry as it's going to get anyway and the vapor than comes on thick. I just enjoy the taste at the beginning of the session.

Also, to suggest that the humidity on any given day or week is consistent with the average annual humidity here is ludicrous.

I keep my bud in airtight containers and store those containers in the bottom of my fridge, so I doubt very much if relative humidity as to where I live, be it high or low, has anything to do with this.

lwien,

Gunky

Hey Lwien, I don't have any opinion about what you do with your stuff. How dry/wet the material you purchase is (a lot of clinics purposely keep it moist for obvious reasons), the local humidity, blah-di-blah all affect what it's like when you put it in your PD and vape it, right? So whatever I say about my particular situation is not guaranteed to have much relevance to you, and vice-versa. Nevertheless, most vapers seem to find drying valuable, hence my comment: there isn't really any controversy about it and Lwien's wrong! Kidding.

Gunky,

lost492

Just wondering... I've been thinking about this for a while just never got motivated enough to ask...

Anyway, after those first thick vapor hits where it tickles your throat a bit and after you can see the vapor when you exhale... Is there anything left? I usually continue to hit it but sometimes I wonder if I am just wasting my breath and time? Also, how brown does your bud typically get with the zap? Mine typically is brown, but still a little bit of dark green left... sound about right?

Thanks again guys!

lost492,

reece

Hi, I'm Reece and I vape undried herb...

I believe lwien is far from the only person that doesn't dry their herb. I don't, and when I first heard about it, it was from a discussion with (if memory serves) 2 or three people other than lwien.

From the beginning of my vaping era, I dried the herbs. It's what I learned was best. This is why I was resistant to using undried. The first time I tried I noticed no difference but upon reflection I remembered it was pretty dry to begin with.

Months later I tried again and I was wowed by the difference in flavor. I thought it was flavorful before. And it was, but it was a generic vapor flavor no matter the strain. Now I can taste the difference between strains.

I keep my herb in an airtight container in the freezer.

reece,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
I've been thinking of storing some but in the freezer. what's the best way to do this? Do you have to thaw the herb out? I'm clueless as where to start.

aesthyrian,

Rick

Zapman
Reese, I'm so glad you cleared that up. Good to know we are all a bit different and have different ways of doing things. One reason we like dry is because we can get the grind/consistency of the herb just the way we like it with little effort. Flavor is still fantastic too.
Yes, I am 99% vapor now and have been for over three weeks, a complete turn around from the last few years. Just happened when Zaplady was diagnosed with a sinus infection and given antibiotics.(she has been 100% vapor for ten years now). It was like wow, I need to kick my natural antibiotics in gear because I was coughing alot and phlegmy and just dragging more than usual.
The change in health and alertness and energy and voice was/is dramatic. The word is clean. Way cleaner respiratory system. Cleaner mind(haha, sorry AG), less sleep needed and everything I always knew as we all do but I just bull-headed through a smokey cloud for what? Nostalgia? I dunno but I do know I am here now sucking on a glass stem with only vapor.
BTW, anybody like to push that baby back in the throat aways once the vapor starts really rolling? Works only for straight lung pulls which I do anyway but wow! Like a direct shot. I can feel a body wave as I slowly shoot 'er down the big tube. Cannot do it with a regular stem as they are too short. The Deep Throat thing. Whaaaa? Thought he said a cleaner mind?
I have no regrets or apologies for all the smoke these last few years. I am very happy that I am not there anymore.
musiclife
Keep those bowls only half full til you get it down good. Keep pulling gently. Often the first pull will have little vapor. You have to get the flow going which often will take an extra initial chug or two. Once the vapor starts, keep the slow, steady pull. Do not try to pull hard. I always test the pull before inserting the tip in the heatport. Sometimes it is not packed enough, sometimes too much so a little test before the hot air helps get the pack right. I like to keep my ground mix in a small container with a rolled bottom edge. I just poke the tip in the mix a time or two which will partially pack it. If you poke it to much, it will pack it more. Poke the pile.

OK, now for some more fun. I should have the long awaited transformer repair kit up by Friday. In a real way it is no big deal and in a real way it IS a big deal because it has taken so long for such a simple solution to a problem plaguing log vape owners for years. We have always replaced transformers since we started in 2001. Not often but more than was to be expected. There IS a problem with the output wire from the wall transformer breaking, albeit slowly, right next to the plug that goes in the Zap. It happens for various reasons, some related to quick, cheap manufacture and others like users twisting the wire sub-consciously and just moving the vape from here to there and using it normally. We would replace the transformer in the past because I was paying $2-4 bucks each for them. About the best we can do now is well over $8 and that is buying them by the hundred.
Anyway, long story short, we now have the proper replacement plug(5.5 x 2.1 mm) that installs with a small phillips screwdriver and does not require soldering. We will offer the "kit" with a plug and the proper sized phillips screwdriver, which is a small little guy and complete instructions. The wire can be cut with scissors or a knife as it is very light gauge wire. This will be a permanent fix for the broken wire problem as these plugs can be used again and again. I have very rarely encountered a "bad" transformer. Almost all the time they are good but the power does not make it to the plug.
We will have the option of adding more than one plug to the kit of course. We will also be adding the "kit" to one of our Zap offerings so users can "be prepared" like good boy and girl scouts if their Zap/log vape starts acting up. In ten years I can say almost all malfunctioning Zaps had only the broken transformer wire problem. Always an exception to that general rule but very rare. These new plugs are also clearly marked for + and - for those of you using a DC wall transformer and have a Zap with a led "on" light. Polarity does not matter if there is no led "on" light.
We have tried the solder type plugs which are the main ones available and were not happy with them mainly because the general pubic does not solder and does not want to learn to solder. They are also difficult to re-use properly when the wire breaks again, which it will. They also are a bit cheezy quality.
I realize there are folks out there without the broken wire problem but this problem also does affect many users and is very frustrating because the vapes are usually just fine.
We hope this simple little thing will make life easier for all log vape owners. Based on our experience, I could also call this a "Log Vape Repair Kit" and it would fit the bill 99 times out of 100.
lost492
Keep pulling and pulling as you are still getting vapor. Stir the tip contents a bit, gently pack and re-pull as lwein and others do in their own way.
Oh yes, I forgot the one other biggee about vaping. My stash has instantly grown exponentially since there is so very little coming out every day. A one months smoking stash could easily be a years stash vaping with a Zap. How nice!

Rick,

lost492

Thats typically what I do. I found a new utencil that I suspect may be the best invention for stirring stems. I use one of those dental picks that they sell to scrape plaque off of you're teeth. I had one sitting in my
bathroom drawer for years, and finally thought of using it to stir my stems. I guess I have been
getting the most of my herb, which I suspected. Just wanted to be sure.

Thanks again.

lost492,

wehttam

I definitely don't dry my herb, but I'm not the most careful with how I store it, so it dries out usually within a couple of days of picking up. I personally prefer it more fresh. It slows the start of the bowl, but in the long run it doesn't really make a difference. I figure I spend a lot of time and money finding the right product, why not enjoy the results? Dry herb just doesn't taste as good.

wehttam,

reece

aesthyrian said:
I've been thinking of storing some but in the freezer. what's the best way to do this? Do you have to thaw the herb out? I'm clueless as where to start.

I keep it in an airtight container. I don't know if that is necessary, it's the only way I've done it since I began keeping it in the freezer. No thawing, I take it right out of the freezer, it goes into the grinder, then a little shaking for kief (the reason I freeze it) and into the stem for vaping.

Rick said:
Reese, I'm so glad you cleared that up. Good to know we are all a bit different and have different ways of doing things. One reason we like dry is because we can get the grind/consistency of the herb just the way we like it with little effort. Flavor is still fantastic too.

Yeah you right, Rick. There's more than one right way. Reminds me of a song.

I got a thing
You got a thing
Everybody's got a thing
When we get together, doin' our thing
In order to help each other
In order to help your brother
(x2)

You don't drink what I drink
You don't smoke what I smoke
You don't think like I think
You don't joke like I joke

I got a thing
You got a thing
Everybody's got a thing
When we get together, doin' our thing
In order to help each other
In order to help your brother

reece,

OyVape

Rick, you da man! This is my first post after lurking for months & I just wanna chime in to say Rick definitely does first-class customer service. I'm one of those with the broken wire problem & am truly overjoyed to learn that my beloved cherry Zap will now be able to live a perfectly normal life, even if mine isn't.:D

OyVape,

Nycdeisel

aesthyrian said:

I wouldnt, I have read that storage in the fridge OR freezer can help mold develope because somehow water does seep in. Stick to a cool, dry, dark place in a mason jar. :)

Nycdeisel,

lwien

Nycdeisel said:
aesthyrian said:

I wouldnt, I have read that storage in the fridge OR freezer can help mold develope because somehow water does seep in. Stick to a cool, dry, dark place in a mason jar. :)

Actually, freezers and fridge would tend to dry things out rather than add moisture. Where moisture "can" occur, however, is when you take a container out from the fridge or freezer, and you open it to access your bud. Here is where the difference in relative temperature can cause moisture condensation to occur inside the container, so what I do to combat this, is that when I take containers out of the fridge and open them, I leave them open for about 10 minutes or so for things to kind of even out.

While air and light are the enemies and can cause degradation, so can temperature, even at 70 degrees F, so it is advisable to store your meds at about 45 to 50 degrees F. The main advantage of putting it into the freezer is the ability to collect more keif, but if that's not a concern, the fridge works just as well. I can dig up that article on the temp degradation if you wish. Might take a bit.

I, like you, just kept my bud in a mason jar in the bottom of my sweater drawer. Did it that way for years until I found out what I mentioned above. Since then, it seems my bud stays fresher for longer in the fridge. What's also key though, is to store your bud in containers that are not too big but rather just big enough to hold what you are putting into them.

lwien,

Nycdeisel

Thanks for adding on, and for telling me some new information as to why that can happen.

Good point, I always try to look for small airtight containers and jars rather then just large mason jars.

Nycdeisel,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
reece, you are just a Funkadelic freak!!! :lol: :D

I buy blue glass jars and tins for my fresh herb through this site:

http://www.specialtybottle.com/index.asp

I usually store them at room temp in a drawer or box. But lwien's post about room temp having an effect has got me thinking. We don't have air conditioning at our house and it gets mighty steamy in the summer. I should probably think about keeping it in the fridge during the summer months.

The only time I really have a hard time during the summer is when it is hot, but also very humid. It's almost impossible to dry herb that isn't already dry. I started running a nug through my whip vape, just one light hit, before crumbling it for my Zap.

momofthegoons,

lwien

Here is an excerpt from where I got this info:

THC is found on raw cannabis flowers in the form of THC-A, an acid. That acid is converted to the neutral active form by heat, which is called decarboxylation. Room temperature does this slowly to cannabis. It's likely that proper curing benefits potency because this slow decarboxylation makes the cannabis seem more potent over time. When cured flowers are smoked, its heat quickly decarboxylates any THC-A in its path. When smoking, the coal vaporizes some the THC-A without decarboxylating it. This is a much less active form of THC, though CBN does produce some effects. BUT, well cured flowers have less THC-A, so everything that's vaporized is active THC. So, smoking decarboxylated cannabis results in more THC delivery.

At 75 F degrees, THC in cannabis can lose as much as 7% of its active THC per month, as active THC oxidizes into CBN, another cannabinoid that is less psychoactive.

So, a 20.0 THC med could be an 18.6% med after a month or just under 14% in six months when kept at 75 F degrees.

Lower temperature slows this process down. Cooling the cannabis in a wine cooler or the vegetable bin of a refrigerator to 38-48 F degrees can slow this process down to under 2% per month.

Cool with humidity between 60 & 65 percent seems to protect and cure. But you have to start out with well-cured meds.

lwien,
Top Bottom