Aromazap/Myrtlezap/CeramicRockZap

thedeserttortoise

Rick... I just have to add that this zap is heating at a perfect temp. I get great full vapor hits and the herb is turning a dark golden brown. I also have to mention that my night time temps in the house are about 58 to 64 degrees depending on my mood. Gets cold here in the desert... and this seems to have zero impact on my zap. I pretty much go at it all day and my first hit this morning (burr cold) was consistent with all the hits yesterday.. when it was warm inside the house's (mine and my friends) where the unit got a lot of use. I have to add.. I almost blinded myself last night.... I mean this was funny as hell... I had just finished a stem and was looking for a container to blow the wad out. I keep all my ABV for cooking... well, I took a small (to small) prescription bottle and pointed the stem into it and gave it a blow...... damn. That really seems like such a small amount but when it blew back out the bottle it got me square in the eyes.... besides feeling like a dumb-ass I blinded myself too... I had a good buz on so I about choked while laughing so hard and trying to lay the stem and bottle down by braille..... I'll tell you.. life is a journey that should never be missed out on..... gotta love it. Tortoise

thedeserttortoise,

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
thedeserttortoise said:
I have to add.. I almost blinded myself last night.... I mean this was funny as hell... I had just finished a stem and was looking for a container to blow the wad out. I keep all my ABV for cooking... well, I took a small (to small) prescription bottle and pointed the stem into it and gave it a blow...... damn. That really seems like such a small amount but when it blew back out the bottle it got me square in the eyes.... besides feeling like a dumb-ass I blinded myself too... I had a good buz on so I about choked while laughing so hard and trying to lay the stem and bottle down by braille..... I'll tell you.. life is a journey that should never be missed out on..... gotta love it. Tortoise

You gotta love that humor, hahahahahaa!

Ed's TnT,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Ed, I've sent you two emails. One was returned, but the other seems like it went through. I'll try again.

tortoise, you've been baptized! :lol: Just make sure you keep that stem supported when in use or you'll get branded too, like I did. :o :lol:

momofthegoons,
Reactions: mvapes

lwien

Baptized. Perfect description. I remember the first time that happened to me. I was like >> :o

lwien,

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
momofthegoons said:
Just make sure you keep that stem supported when in use or you'll get branded too, like I did. :o :lol:

Oh yeah I forgot about that too, the inserts can get quite hot and will damn sure brand ya, I have grabbed one in a hurry myself and felt the heat on a # of occasions.

Ed's TnT,

Nycdeisel

hahaha I love to use the marble pick that came with my DBV! I have to be gentle of course of the itty bitty screens but they work the best to clear the stem IME. I have not used the blow technique because my ABV goes into a jar, not a bag. However, I blow out the small remnants after I have emptied most of the AVB.

In the absence of my marble pick I use a small screwdriver(also must be gentle)

Nycdeisel,

SmokingElectricity

Nycdeisel said:
hahaha I love to use the marble pick that came with my DBV! I have to be gentle of course of the itty bitty screens but they work the best to clear the stem IME. I have not used the blow technique because my ABV goes into a jar, not a bag. However, I blow out the small remnants after I have emptied most of the AVB.

In the absence of my marble pick I use a small screwdriver(also must be gentle)

Kim_Fields_One_to_Grow_On.png

SmokingElectricity,

collegerower

Well its been over 10 months with my zap and I still love it. I use it all the time and just love it. I am starting to think I am missing something by not having a glass our wood stem.

Those of you who have both which do you like/use more? I am on a budget and don't think I can swing both...

Also I am still using the older style heat port and wondering if I am missing out by not having the new style. Anyone who haso tried both really noticed a difference?

Also has anyone gotten a response from the glass guy about getting some nice worked stems that look more like the stems CD makes for the PD? Also I know there talk about a bubbler stem a long time ago. Did that prove too hard for the mz?

Also thinking about a stem holder. Do they work with the glass stems? I wonder if Ed could make one out of his crazy wood selection?

Thanks everyone. I love this site, and this vape. Thanks Rick for your hard work and updates. Love reading them!

collegerower,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
collegerower, I think I meet all of your criteria to answer your questions. :)

Let me start with the original heatport. My first Zap is one of the originals. I think it works just as well as the other 3 that I have purchased that have the new design. No worries there, IMO.

Now the tubes are more subjective. I definitely think you are missing something by not having either the glass or the wood (or both ;) ) They sort of fit different needs or aesthetics. I think you will eventually want to get them both. I understand being on a budget though, so I will try to differentiate between them. The glass stems are nice for cooling the hits. They are easier to clean (and reclaim) since you can immerse them. They come with a carb. Ed's wood tubes are made of beautiful woods. They have a wider inside diameter, so the draw is easier, especially if your herb is powdery. This is not to say that the glass doesn't have a good draw....quite the opposite. The draw on the glass tubes is better than the stock tubes. The wood tubes cannot, however, be immersed for cleaning. You use a special pipe cleaner, if necessary (I haven't found the need to clean mine). Both come with removable tips for cleaning. So, it's really a matter of whether you would prefer glass or wood as they are both really nice. I'd say start saving your pennies for when you want to buy the one you don't buy now. :p To be honest, I really can't say that I like one over the other, Zap wise or tube wise. :lol:

momofthegoons,
Reactions: mvapes

oscardog

I just ordered my first zap on Thursday morning. I used to vape a few years ago out my box style vape, but it was so ineffecient i went back to smoking. Lately ive been smoking alot and pulled out my vape again. I loved vaping and it made me realize that the only reason i stopped and went back to smoking, was because my vape used too much herbs with such a big bowl piece. But from what ive been reading about these log vapes my troubles are over. I want to use small amounts, throughout the day, and maybe attach to my water pipe. So yea i cant wait until my zap comes, cuz right now its either keep smoking which im already not liking since vaping the past few days, or use this ineffecient vaporizer for a few more days until i get my zap and can start conserving again. I think the zap will be perfect for me!

oscardog,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
I think Im going to have to agree with you on this one.

Very versatile is the Zap, and very efficient as well. Out of all my toys I own, I still rank my Zap as my #1 flavor maker. :ko:

AGBeer,

Lycanthrope

King Of The Loons
Oscardog, first welcome to the forum and Zap land. I've found that when I load my Zap only half a stem or so that it usually vapes better than when I load it full. I load a half and use a light pack, and get easier pulls and a lot of nice vapor for 3-5 tokes. This technique saves even more herb making the already efficient Zap even better. Experiment with different load amounts, but don't pack too tight. You'll also find that different sizes of grind will also produce different results as well as different strains of herb. A while back I had some chronic (skunk) that was providing me with 6 - 8 tokes per stem load. No sense in loading a full stem if a half will do Ya. The herb (mid) that I have now is only giving me about 4- 5 tokes, but gets the job done quite nicely. The consensus here in Zap land is that your ground herb should be about the size of coarse ground pepper and dry as well. Try different techniques to perfect your style that works best for you. I know that you'll find that you've made a wise choice.

Happy Zapping!!

Lycanthrope,

oscardog

lycanthrope thanks for the heads up. i feel exactly the same way about just using enough to get you there without extra, you can always come back later and vape more if needed. I like to cut up my herb using scissors, should i definetely be using my grinder for the zap? That is so inspirational to hear you are only using a half a stem and getting 3-5 good tokes. Whats that like .012? Talk about conservation!

oscardog,

momatik

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I love my Zap :D. Had it for a week now it's been nothing but good to me.

What kind of bag do people use to blow out the duff? I've been using a sandwich ziplock but sometimes a bit of abv will fly out.

momatik,

Nycdeisel

with the cloth bag(picture posted by Lwien above me^) you can put the end of the stem right up to the fabric and blow so none of the bud flies out but the air will go right past the fabric and by then it should be loose enough to just fall out into the bag, hopefully you understand what Im getting at, even though I didnt describe it in the most clear way.

I use a jar, though, and a tool to empty the stems.

Nycdeisel,

Rick

Zapman
We use a long neck glass bottle about 4 oz size. The neck is just big enough to get the tip end of the stem in. We make a seal with fingers around stem when blowing tip contents into the bottle. No spray back and ABV is in glass for easy dumping for cooking or whatever.

You should never have to do anything but blow on the stem to remove spent tip contents. If the ABV plug does not want to blow out, pull on it again a couple times. We get more than 5-6 pulls from each tip load and we never fill the tip full. Tip contents always blow out leaving a nice clean empty tip. Our goodies are plenty top shelf too but we only vape bone dry material still with lots of flavor.
I think too many folks stop pulling too early, leaving the stem tip gooier than is ideal.

Rick,

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
My guy uses a McDonald's cup that he left the plastic lid on, works great just poke the tip in the straw hole and blow, no blow back, no mess, no fuss!

Ed's TnT,

Lycanthrope

King Of The Loons
Oscardog, i use a grinder on mine. It provides consistent grind size as this eliminates just one more variable in your vapeing technique. A scissors can also get the job done but may not provide that consistent grind size and takes a bit more effort than a good grinder. I used a scissors before, putting my herb in a shot glass then chopping up with the scissors. I have two very good grinders one very nice wood one from Ed's TnT. The wood is beautiful and compliments the wood Zap. This grinder is about 3 inches and I use it for grinding larger amounts. My other grinder is a 2-1/4 inch Mendo Mulcher that I use on smaller amounts. Both grinders are quality construction, the Mendo Mulcher being built like a brick shithouse as I could probably drive my F-150 pickup over it without any damage. I get consistent grind every time with little effort. They are both very affordable and I think well worth it. The drier the herb the easier it will grind.

Lycanthrope,

collegerower

Thanks for the advice mom. I will have to give it some thought!

Also, did anyone ever find out if the glass guy will do more worked stems? I was looking around on his site and he has some amazing work. Also I know there was talk about a bubler. Is that still possible Rick?

collegerower,

Rick

Zapman
Tim is not really into trying bubblers or fancy stuff for us. Or maybe it is he and I decided that. We are keeping with the plain Tooty glass stem with or without a carb as the only blown glass offering for now. They are simple and effective and come with two removable tips. This has to do with money. I buy everything up front with him. Experimental stuff is a maybe sell, maybe not. So for now we keep it basic and cheap. We are hitting his shop almost every week just on the Tootys, a dozen or two at a time.
Speaking of basic and cheap (and green), we did our first beta testing of our transformer repair kit tonight and we are good to go with the exception of one tool on order that should be here by weeks end.
Log vape owners with "bad" transformers will now have another option besides buying another transformer or soldering on a new plug. Our repair kit will fit even the most un-mechanical customers with nary a tool in the house/apt. Complete, simple instructions will be included.
More tomorrow after I make another call or two.
collegerower
Shoot me an Email. I lost all our old Email contacts when we moved up in the world with a new PC around Christmas. I don't think I have you in our new store info either as that only started in mid-July.

Rick,
Top Bottom