Arizer Solo

Gray Area

I'm in general agreement with the discussion I think. I've measured power drawn from the battery in PA mode, it tends to be fairly small in level, depends on the battery charge state and PA Voltage (low battery charge and high PA voltages are lowest). All the power taken from the battery is subtracted from that taken from the PA supply. The total used is the same. Obviously if the Solo battery isn't installed, it's voltage is zero calling for all the power from the PA.

While other schemes could have been used, Solo uses it's processor to control and monitor charging. Or run the heater (in either PA or Battery mode). But it can only do one function at a time, determined by what the voltage coming in is.

Yes, I think there's serious advantage in avoiding both the top and bottom end of charging. Makers like to push it (battery life sells well) but it kills batteries off young. As CZ points out, Solo already tries to help us out by stopping a bit shy of what other makers would charge to and 'hides' the last few steps at the bottom so we'll decide to recharge earlier. I think both are worth expanding on a bit. Well respected testing says dropping the top 10% of the charge can double the number of cycles from the battery. Meaning it could last years longer in normal use?

Check out the stuff around table 4:
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

OF

So (in layman's terms), would you say that:

Not letting the unit fall below two lights on the battery indicator before charging , and...

Letting the unit charge up to seven, but not fully (solid green LED)...

... would be good practice?

TIA

Vaper

Thanks for the praise.
The current stands have the plug which matches my PA or other third party solutions using a 2.1 mm plug.
The Solo's plug is a smaller variety which matches the manufacturers power options. And harder to find components to make a PA relatively cheaply.
In the close future I will have a Solo stand compatible to Solo plugs (1.7 mm) available for the masses.

Thanks for that info, Pipes. I can assure you that I will be purchasing 1.7mm plug stand. :-)

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
OK...I've just run several sessions with the Solo with glass honeycomb screens (3) placed in stem bowl. 1st), I placed a very small pinch of erb against the bowl screen. 2nd), I placed honeycomb screen over layer of erb. 3

1zf71t.jpg
I have use the glass screens for a little over a year now.
What I have found is to insert the glass screen in to the SS bowl when you first start it up.

I reach level 3 dry or 4 wet then insert the bowl with a well loaded stem.

The screen against the stem is just to filter any particles from ruining your vaporizing experience!
Glass Stem Action:

OF

So (in layman's terms), would you say that:

Not letting the unit fall below two lights on the battery indicator before charging , and...

Letting the unit charge up to seven, but not fully (solid green LED)...

... would be good practice?

Yup, that's basically what I do, although I'm OK with letting it go low, as long as there's at least one LED showing since we now know that shows there's still a lot of charge left:

8.3 to 8.0 shows step 7
7.9 step 6
7.8 step 5
7.7 step 4
7.6 step 3
7.5 step 2
7.4 step 1
7.2 and below no lights.
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/arizer-solo.3833/page-735#post-451422

Remember that's total voltage, not for sure 3.6 Volts per (one is sure to be more discharged than the other) but still it should be quite safe WRT battery life.

It won't last forever, but if you can double it's battery lifespan by charging a little more often, why not?

OF

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker
What I have found is to insert the glass screen in to the SS bowl when you first start it up.

The screen against the stem is just to filter any particles from ruining your vaporizing experience!

Right! The primary function of the honeycomb screen is to filter. But in experimenting with glass inserts somewhat similarly to OF's glass daisy screens w/Ascent, I stumbled onto some positive unintended consequences: judging by the color of the AVB, it appears that the number of sessions can be extended beyond the norm; cooler/less irritating; desired effect using less. I will double my efforts and experiment further to rule out subjectivity with more objective certainty.

bussinrounds

Damn, the diffuser in my f-bomb broke.:( I put it in the freezer with water in it and forgot about it like an idiot. When I was putting fresh water in it later on, I heard a rattling.:ugh: It cracked at the bottom and just kinda leans there inside up against the other dome shaped glass piece. It only hold holds water up until just over the top of the little holes and still does work (all the holes still bubble) but it seems to work better when I pull the f-bomb up slightly off the gong now. I'm f-n pissed.

Don't know if I should just use that for dry frozen hits now. Is that deal for the PNWT still $50 from that place ?

bussinrounds,

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
Right! The primary function of the honeycomb screen is to filter. But in experimenting with glass inserts somewhat similarly to OF's glass daisy screens w/Ascent, I stumbled onto some positive unintended consequences: judging by the color of the AVB, it appears that the number of sessions can be extended beyond the norm; cooler/less irritating; desired effect using less. I will double my efforts and experiment further to rule out subjectivity with more objective certainty.
I use two screens:

Glass Honeycomb against the heater
Stainless steel on the draw side

The DAISY screens I use on other devices

I do find I get a cooler vapor & a longer session.

I play around with both the Honeycomb and the Daisey configurations.

Last edited:

Hexi

Try cleaning your stem. I had noticed that my PVHES was hitting shitting. I was getting pissed the solo wasn't performing anymore. But, my stem was filthy so I cleaned and now I can bang huge hits. I think it also has to do with how much you pack it as well? Because before the PVHES I wouldn't pack at all. Now I use a screen just cut for the bottom(no more domed screen because the PVHES has enough flow already lol) and I pack the hell out of the bowl lol. It still hits great and I get huge vapor clouds this way :)

Ultra fine screens also killed the clouds in my SOLO when I tried them. I was getting whispy hits with UFS, swapped back to standard screen and the vapor was much thicker. Airflow is key, when it's good.

e94f.jpg

Damn, the diffuser in my f-bomb broke.:( I put it in the freezer with water in it and forgot about it like an idiot. When I was putting fresh water in it later on, I heard a rattling.:ugh: It cracked at the bottom and just kinda leans there inside up against the other dome shaped glass piece. It only hold holds water up until just over the top of the little holes and still does work (all the holes still bubble) but it seems to work better when I pull the f-bomb up slightly off the gong now. I'm f-n pissed.

Don't know if I should just use that for dry frozen hits now. Is that deal for the PNWT still $50 from that place ?

Sorry man, those f-BOMBS are a little pricey too :( $50 for the PNWT lessons the sting a bit tho, that's a great deal

Last edited:

TheRamblingSoul

Glass Stem Action:

Damn, that set up looks awesome.

Where'd you pick up the J-Hook?

TheRamblingSoul,

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
Damn, that set up looks awesome.

Where'd you pick up the J-Hook?
The SOLO is my daily driver these days while I tune up all my gadgets.
I have two different J-Hooks.
Both of them do a great job.

With a GonG adapter it replaces the stem and hooks up to a ash collectors well.

I know there are many good vaporizers available these day's however I have the SOLO'S so dialed in!

The Sherlock was $10.00 at the local smoke shop.

Last edited:

John Mcauliffe

My solo has been working great for about 6 months. I only use setting 2, the lowest vape temperature.

Recently, the bud has been blacking a bit, and tasting fowl; it is heating beyond temperature 2, in fact as high as temperature 4. But the heat is probably sporadic, and mostly at temperature 2.

I dropped it earlier, but at least 5 sessions before it's been acting up; that could be why.

Is there anything I can do to fix this? Or must I throw it out?

John Mcauliffe,

Caligula

Maximus
Mods, I'm assuming this is the proper place to ask... please move or delete if it's inappropriate.

Anyway, I'm wondering if this is a legitimate place to buy a Solo from?

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=251240093612

Note the seller clearly states they are an authorized reseller and that the warranty will remain intact. They claim it to be the latest model and the price with free shipping make it an amazing deal (am I wrong? I just started pricing these out)...

However I tend to be gun shy about buying from eBay.

Thoughts?

Caligula,

way2

I believe 1 or 2 members here have had problems with that seller.(my rubberneck) others have had no problems. Search this thread only with the sellers name for some opinions. Great price though...:2c:

Last edited:

way2

I edited my last post. Search this thread for some info on the seller. Lots of people report no problems. At that price I'd be tempted to do it. PIU and PV both sell it for $160 last I checked (it's been a while). Good luck with your purchase the solo is a great device!!

Caligula

Maximus
I edited my last post. Search this thread for some info on the seller. Lots of people report no problems. At that price I'd be tempted to do it. PIU and PV both sell it for $160 last I checked (it's been a while). Good luck with your purchase the solo is a great device!!
Great news! I hope they are still on sale when I get paid next week. That specific bid is over in 2 days...

Caligula,

poonman

Mods, I'm assuming this is the proper place to ask... please move or delete if it's inappropriate.

Anyway, I'm wondering if this is a legitimate place to buy a Solo from?

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=251240093612

Note the seller clearly states they are an authorized reseller and that the warranty will remain intact. They claim it to be the latest model and the price with free shipping make it an amazing deal (am I wrong? I just started pricing these out)...

However I tend to be gun shy about buying from eBay.

Thoughts?

I'm pretty sure one of the Mods , posted and advised us NOT to do biz. with ' myrubberneck ' .
There are other vendors on e-bay that caused no problems including authorized warranty .
I think , yoyokid1 is legit , search for him on e-bay .

I bought mine from puffitup.com for $ 160 .
and can vouch for Planetvape for $ 160 also .

Caligula

Maximus
I'm pretty sure one of the Mods , posted and advised us NOT to do biz. with ' myrubberneck ' .
There are other vendors on e-bay that caused no problems including authorized warranty .
I think , yoyokid1 is legit , search for him on e-bay .

I bought mine from puffitup.com for $ 160 .
and can vouch for Planetvape for $ 160 also .
Any specific reason as to why?

Caligula,

VaporsVaporizer

On the Stoop
A few members had trouble with My Rubberneck on Ebay but i did not. I registered my Solo with Arizer without a problem as soon as i received it. Just my experience , not saying others didn't have a problem.

VaporsVaporizer,
Reactions: Caligula

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Oh? Any specific kind of issue? Their feedback score is pretty high (98% with over 7k comments)
I'm not 100% but the main issue is if something heads south. The dealers mentioned offer replacement if defective. Others offer factory warranty which is not bad but takes more time and more complicated.
Your call of course but having a dealer in your corner can pay off big time sometimes.

Top Bottom