Arizer Solo

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Hey guys, have a couple updates for your consideration. As I had mentioned before I have had some problems with various supplies and making enough stands has been very time consuming. The latest resin which I have been experimenting with is working out great. Only problem is semi transparent stands are now less translucent and limits the available colours which all look a little dull. So far only orange and green have worked out since this resin is yellow by nature.
However, it is now possible to make real black which is the most requested colour which until now have only been able to get dark grey.
Pic of the true black which is fresh out of the mould.

P1050843_zps8e9d054f.jpg

I am able to avoid using hardening sprays and such so makes much easy to make.
Also, from now on the stands will come with a felt bottom which makes it much more furniture friendly.
Kudos to OF and Dreamer on the suggestion on this. Dreamer was using it to pick up her business cards....

P1050836_zpsbf17f055.jpg

Another item which will be included from here on out is an addition 90 degree pigtail extension. (no charge) The thinking behind this is to allow the cord to swivel into whatever placement is the most comfortable to the user.

90Degree_zpse63ec8de.jpg

I have tested this cable and find it is very nice quality and has a firm feel.

Another option for your consideration is for an extra $5 I will add an LED into any semi-transparent unit. Makes it less dull for sure.

light2_zpsc4428ccf.gif

Kinda a cool option but really not for everyone as it takes away any stealth the unit has. But for some folks, it's just too cool not to have.

To let FC member don't know, I have been taking PMs for the AIO and CARPA and the stand is a $15 upgrade which can be differentiated by plus. AIO+ or CARPA+
If I have no stock I will make as requested the best I can.

I have not changed any pricing as my efforts are to provide these type accessories exclusively to FC members at an affordable price and to provide goodies that would add to our families vaping experiences.

Re-cap of the pricing:
35AIO, + 15ship = $50
25CARPA, + 10ship = $35
50AIO+, +15ship = $65
40CARPA+, +10ship = $50

All adopters get a complimentary O ring and 5/8" screen. Sometimes other things might be added as well pending availability.

LED upgrade add $5.

The smaller plug (OEM) version is getting close too folks. So the current OEM power users can enjoy the stand as well.
The stand by it's lonesome will be 20STAND + 10ship = $30 again LED add $5

All is good.

Last edited:

Anonymouse

Sith I care
Does anyone know any other places where International customers can get the $50 Pinnacle WT deal? There was an EBay store posted earlier, but when i checked it out he wanted US$30 for base-level First Class shipping, which is probably close to double what it'd actually cost. Sorta takes the shine off the deal when the price jumps up to $80, too.

Anonymouse,

ironlungs

The solo has been great. But lately it hasnt produced the vapor clouds like I did when I first got it. I'm vaping at temp 4 -5 too. I get like a few 5 hits with clouds but then it stops producing vapor. And the vaped bud isn't even brown yet. Is my product going bad?

ironlungs,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Does anyone know any other places where International customers can get the $50 Pinnacle WT deal? There was an EBay store posted earlier, but when i checked it out he wanted US$30 for base-level First Class shipping, which is probably close to double what it'd actually cost. Sorta takes the shine off the deal when the price jumps up to $80, too.
IMO, $80 is not all that bad. Shipping a tad high but still.
Did you look into this possibility here? $60 and not a PWT but looks nice. Shipping might be another story too.

Krizzle

Hi Very high

I got my PNWT from the same ebay seller previously mentioned (yoyokid or something like that). He overcharges international shipping. Mine was sent to me here in the UK in just a jiffy envelope and the postage on the front was only $11. I contacted him about the shipping costs but got no reply. Seems he is making a good profit on international postage, overcharging triple is wrong! Personally I would go for the F-bomb from Planetvape but no discount :(

Krizzle,
The solo has been great. But lately it hasnt produced the vapor clouds like I did when I first got it. I'm vaping at temp 4 -5 too. I get like a few 5 hits with clouds but then it stops producing vapor. And the vaped bud isn't even brown yet. Is my product going bad?
Try cleaning your stem. I had noticed that my PVHES was hitting shitting. I was getting pissed the solo wasn't performing anymore. But, my stem was filthy so I cleaned and now I can bang huge hits. I think it also has to do with how much you pack it as well? Because before the PVHES I wouldn't pack at all. Now I use a screen just cut for the bottom(no more domed screen because the PVHES has enough flow already lol) and I pack the hell out of the bowl lol. It still hits great and I get huge vapor clouds this way :)

HSIHP

It could be that you are using different material. I know different strains vape differently in my Solo.

samirfuzzywuzzy

@Pipes Ive been using my stand and its working great.

@ataxian Thank for confirming that you still use and like the seals.

Ive had the situation where my charger was plugged in 24/7 and now make my solo do the light show. The car charger charges my solo perfectly but the wall plug is causing the Non stop beep and light show. Ive done a search and would like to know the most stable charger for the solo. Ive already got a OF PA and Pipes CARPA so just looking for a solid charger since the stock one only lasted 3 months in my hands.

samirfuzzywuzzy

[

I love the black stand! Which do I get if I want to Charge and Vape at the same time in the the house or the car? Will this do that? 50AIO+, +15ship = $65

Ill try help take a load of poor pipes. IIRC The PA's can only charge or heat not both at the same time. You wont need both at the same time since you can vape and then go back to charging while away.

samirfuzzywuzzy,
Reactions: Pipes

OF

actually I'm pretty sure the PA's just bypass the battery so you can use the solo without wasting battery. I don't think they actually charge the unit.

True rumor. No known supply does both. If the output is between 7 and 9 VDC (roughly) you're in PA mode and use mostly power from outside. If it's above 10 by half a Volt or so, you charge. Two different modes for Solo. Since you can't be both above and below at the same time you can do at most one or the other. Between those voltages, say at 9.5 Volts and all you get is a flashing light show, no PA or charging.

Solo uses its processor to charge the battery, it's not built like a cell phone or laptop.

OF

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
Honestly I think the battery just leaks while it's connected to the PA, and that none of the battery power is actually used in the process of heating the device or running it. A solo with no battery in it performs exactly the same as a solo with one connected to the power adapter.

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker
Honestly I think the battery just leaks while it's connected to the PA, and that none of the battery power is actually used in the process of heating the device or running it. A solo with no battery in it performs exactly the same as a solo with one connected to the power adapter.
Hadn't thought of that before. To where can the battery leak go? Can that be monitored or traced somehow? When it is in power mode, isn't there a way to divert some of the current to trickle charge at the same time? Interesting stuff!

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
I'm not entirely sure where it would be going, perhaps OF might have a better idea of what is happening here.

But I'd imagine it's got something to with the power being consumed through unintended passive resistance, like what was happening with the Ascent. One of DaVinci's reps posted a while back that their battery drain issues were being caused by a circuit that was never being disconnected that was consuming around 5 - 6 ohms of power constantly. Could be caused by a lot of things, most often its a mistake in soldering or wiring where an active wire is accidentally connected to a resistor that's connected to ground.

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
I think CentiZen is correct and ideally this should be the case. However the Solo works in mysterious ways.
My findings also indicate that the Solo actually seems to somehow puts the battery and outside power in an either/or electrically connected state.
The intelligence of the Solo seems to only check the input voltage at start up and when heat cycle begins. Once external power in connected and heating starts it will continue until end of that particular cycle. Taking power 100% from battery.
This means the power will come from which ever is available once heating. This will cause the following:

If battery is fully charged it will provide more power then once it gets into lower charge situation and the external power begins to take on more and more of the load until the voltages match which at that point the PA will take over in a bigger role. With the step down the amount of power been used translates into heat on the step down unit. I have noticed as the battery gets lower the unit gets hotter.

Also, makes for possible problems with discharging down the battery if any connections are bad or intermittent. This is because a bad connection will cause the unit to fire up and when the heat comes on the external supply drops from bad connection and the unit just takes from battery instead. Next time it checks the input voltage it will still remain in PA because it seems good. I have hit this a couple times because of some sprays or gunk getting on connections.

Also gets further proven with the LED stands. If power is removed from external plug which in PA heat cycle the stand stays lit even though the power is removed. This proves not only that the Solo is taking power from battery but is actually channelled via the same wire as the input plug.

These finding are in line with what OF had posted a month or so back.

Explains why some including myself have had battery dropping while using PA operation. Not really a bad thing as if battery was not used at all it would be never exercised and considered a battery storage situation. It been used somewhat forcing one to charge once in a while is actually better for the battery.

I know, gets complicated. Bottom line, enjoy it for what it is. Understanding the workings is secondary.

Snappo

Accessory Maker
Explains why some including myself have had battery dropping while using PA operation. Not really a bad thing as if battery was not used at all it would be never exercised and considered a battery storage situation. It been used somewhat forcing one to charge once in a while is actually better for the battery.

Fascinating! In this scenario then, as I understand it, a trickle charge would not work in the best interest of the battery (wouldn't allow for enough flexing). Do we know what are, if any, the upper and lower limits with regard to charge efficiency? I have heard it written here that it is a good idea to charge at 20% remaining and at 80% usage.

Correction: I have heard it written here that it is a good idea to charge at 80% remaining and at 20% remaining.

Last edited:

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Fascinating! In this scenario then, as I understand it, a trickle charge would not work in the best interest of the battery (wouldn't allow for enough flexing). Do we know what are, if any, the upper and lower limits with regard to charge efficiency? I have heard it written here that it is a good idea to charge at 20% remaining and at 80% usage.
This is a very good question. Getting out of my knowledge database though.
Maybe OF or other battery knowledgeable members could chime in on this one?

JoeKickass

Another option for your consideration is for an extra $5 I will add an LED into any semi-transparent unit. Makes it less dull for sure.

light2_zpsc4428ccf.gif

Kinda a cool option but really not for everyone as it takes away any stealth the unit has. But for some folks, it's just too cool not to have.
Ahahaha yes I love it! That makes me want to buy another Solo just to display it on this :D

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
Fascinating! In this scenario then, as I understand it, a trickle charge would not work in the best interest of the battery (wouldn't allow for enough flexing). Do we know what are, if any, the upper and lower limits with regard to charge efficiency? I
I have heard it written here that it is a good idea to charge at 80% remaining and at 20% remaining.

A trickle charge would work just fine for the battery if it was not completely charged, the important thing is when the solo's circuitry is going to shut off that charge to the battery. Li-Ion batteries are considered to be 100% charged when they are at ~4.25 volts. However, it seems that the Solo stops charging the batteries once they are at around 4.10 volts. I think that the designers built in considerations that keep the battery at a slightly lower level than 100% at all times to keep them lasting longer.

Snappo

Accessory Maker
OK...I've just run several sessions with the Solo with glass honeycomb screens (3) placed in stem bowl. 1st), I placed a very small pinch of erb against the bowl screen. 2nd), I placed honeycomb screen over layer of erb. 3rd), another slightly larger pinch. 4th), another honeycomb screen placed on top. 5th), another pinch. 6th), another screen. 7th), pack down keeping glass screen close to flush with the edge of the bowl. 8th), heat & serve.

Observations:
  • At level 3, visible vapor density at or less than visible vapor w/o screens
  • At level 5, good visible vapor density at or less than visible vapor w/o screens
  • At level 6, very good visible vapor density at or less than visible vapor w/o screens
  • At each level, vapor was cooler and less irritating
  • At each level, the desired effect was achieved
  • Amount of erb was reduced to a little less than half bowl w/3 screens in place
  • ABV was relatively light and even throughout, with more sessions available
  • Efficiency seems to be extended while maintaining desired effect
My guess: I think the screens sandwiching the erb serve to stabilize temps at a lower level, as they draw and hold heat that is circulated by convection. This dynamic impedes the normally occurring build and rise in bowl temperature, as OF noted prior.
1zf71t.jpg

Last edited:

OF

I'm in general agreement with the discussion I think. I've measured power drawn from the battery in PA mode, it tends to be fairly small in level, depends on the battery charge state and PA Voltage (low battery charge and high PA voltages are lowest). All the power taken from the battery is subtracted from that taken from the PA supply. The total used is the same. Obviously if the Solo battery isn't installed, it's voltage is zero calling for all the power from the PA.

While other schemes could have been used, Solo uses it's processor to control and monitor charging. Or run the heater (in either PA or Battery mode). But it can only do one function at a time, determined by what the voltage coming in is.

Yes, I think there's serious advantage in avoiding both the top and bottom end of charging. Makers like to push it (battery life sells well) but it kills batteries off young. As CZ points out, Solo already tries to help us out by stopping a bit shy of what other makers would charge to and 'hides' the last few steps at the bottom so we'll decide to recharge earlier. I think both are worth expanding on a bit. Well respected testing says dropping the top 10% of the charge can double the number of cycles from the battery. Meaning it could last years longer in normal use?

Check out the stuff around table 4:
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

OF

Vaper

Hey guys, have a couple updates for your consideration. As I had mentioned before I have had some problems with various supplies and making enough stands has been very time consuming. The latest resin which I have been experimenting with is working out great. Only problem is semi transparent stands are now less translucent and limits the available colours which all look a little dull. So far only orange and green have worked out since this resin is yellow by nature.
However, it is now possible to make real black which is the most requested colour which until now have only been able to get dark grey.
Pic of the true black which is fresh out of the mould.

P1050843_zps8e9d054f.jpg

I am able to avoid using hardening sprays and such so makes much easy to make.
Also, from now on the stands will come with a felt bottom which makes it much more furniture friendly.
Kudos to OF and Dreamer on the suggestion on this. Dreamer was using it to pick up her business cards....

P1050836_zpsbf17f055.jpg

Another item which will be included from here on out is an addition 90 degree pigtail extension. (no charge) The thinking behind this is to allow the cord to swivel into whatever placement is the most comfortable to the user.

90Degree_zpse63ec8de.jpg

I have tested this cable and find it is very nice quality and has a firm feel.

light2_zpsc4428ccf.gif

To let FC member don't know, I have been taking PMs for the AIO and CARPA and the stand is a $15 upgrade which can be differentiated by plus. AIO+ or CARPA+
If I have no stock I will make as requested the best I can.

I have not changed any pricing as my efforts are to provide these type accessories exclusively to FC members at an affordable price and to provide goodies that would add to our families vaping experiences.

Re-cap of the pricing:
35AIO, + 15ship = $50
25CARPA, + 10ship = $35
50AIO+, +15ship = $65
40CARPA+, +10ship = $50

All adopters get a complimentary O ring and 5/8" screen. Sometimes other things might be added as well pending availability.

LED upgrade add $5.

The smaller plug (OEM) version is getting close too folks. So the current OEM power users can enjoy the stand as well.
The stand by it's lonesome will be 20STAND + 10ship = $30 again LED add $5

All is good.

Hey there, Pipes:
Your Solo stand is a brilliant idea. Just to confirm, this stand can be used with the 9 volt power adapter? Thanks for any info you can provide.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vaper,
Reactions: Pipes

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Hey there, Pipes:
Your Solo stand is a brilliant idea. Just to confirm, this stand can be used with the 9 volt power adapter? Thanks for any info you can provide.
Thanks for the praise.
The current stands have the plug which matches my PA or other third party solutions using a 2.1 mm plug.
The Solo's plug is a smaller variety which matches the manufacturers power options. And harder to find components to make a PA relatively cheaply.
In the close future I will have a Solo stand compatible to Solo plugs (1.7 mm) available for the masses.

Top Bottom