Arizer Solo

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
The GonG stems I'm having made have had some problems that have delayed their delivery. I should have at least one of them to test out next week and I will promptly report on it when it arrives.

:peace:

Stu,

Papa Woody

"The vapor is strong with this one"-Obi Onda Woody
I just bought a Solo from Puffitup for $189. I assumed it would be a SS but was not assured it would be a SS because I did not ask for a SS. I got a ceramic and not getting the SS was not a deal breaker for me. The Solo that was sent was a smelly one. I called Puffitup and Randy sent a replacement immediately that arrived two days later. The second Solo had a smell, not as bad as the first, but I baked it as I've stated in prior posts and now I have a stink free unit that works perfectly and I'm happy with it. Puffitup is not responsible for the smell but they took care of the issue and communicated with me along the way. Would I do business again with Puffitup? Absolutely! Will I do business again with Puffitup? Yes I will. I do not consider them "shady".

Papa Woody,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
vape4health said:
So I ordered one em Ehle 100ml from EDIT that everyone seems to have, I see lots of them in peoples sig's and for the price I understand why now. I had to order one after I tried using my Solo with a cheap no name tiny bubbler I had packed away, it was too small but gave me a good look into what vaporbonging with the solo is like. I've had it for one week now and cant really see me vaping without water again. It is on the small side but a new baby has changed my vape'n habits, now I keep everything put away and very clean, iso after every use so the 100ml is about perfect for that, easy to clean and hide.

I have read people saying that the solo stem will fit into a 14.5 but I have a few stems and they all slide past the GonG and into the ball between GonG's on the downstem, a small piece a silicon tubing around the stem makes a perfect seal but I would like a glass only vapor path. Someone had a few 14.5 stems made, anyone care to say how well or not they worked.

I would like to get a diffused downstem, if anyone has one that fits perfect and could post a link that would really help. I've looked but I'm kinda new to high end glass, I know I need 14.5 joint and EDIT says a length of 10cm but would 11cm work.

Another thing about the Ehle 100ml, the bowl that I received is close to useless for combustion, the hole in the bottom is huge allowing stuff to fall through, I see now people recommend gauze or them spike balls, what a hassle.

Interesting, I've never heard anyone report that the Solo stems were to thin for a 14,4mm GG joint. I am at least one of them that promotes use without any added tubing. Do you have a ceramic Solo or one of the newer SS ones with more then two holes in the stem?

A 11cm downstem will fit a 100ml Ehle, although barely and the area where the bubbles will appear will be less in the center of the bong but a little more towards the back end.

You can get a 10cm Ehle diffused dowstems here: H&N if you're in Europe, but they won't ship to the USA or Canada. If you're not from Europe I wouldn't mind ordering one for you and send it to you if you feel comfortable paypalling me the cash first.

I think all standard bowls require some sort of screen, unless you get one with one build in to it.

OhTheAgony,

vape4health

Thanks Stu.

OTA I have both ceramic and ss, I have tried 2 different 2 hole bent and one 3 hole straight, they all fit both solos and the downstem just about the same, they will fall out of the solo and slide past the GonG. Ill have a look at the H&N, thanks for the offer Agony I may take you up if I cant find one.

vape4health,

headdoctor

Here's a question for any audiologists out there: can a high frequency sound that is *not* heard cause headaches? This is really just a question from curiosity; I don't mean to suggest that the high frequency noise that some can hear on the Solo is causing any headaches, etc etc etc. I'm really just interested in whether an inaudible sound can, in theory, cause headaches.

headdoctor,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
vape4health said:
Thanks Stu.

OTA I have both ceramic and ss, I have tried 2 different 2 hole bent and one 3 hole straight, they all fit both solos and the downstem just about the same, they will fall out of the solo and slide past the GonG. Ill have a look at the H&N, thanks for the offer Agony I may take you up if I cant find one.

No problem, just send me an email if you want me to help you out.

I've only tried 4 two hole stems so far, two tight ones and two loose ones, and they all rest about 2mm above the end off the GG joint with both my Ehle dowstems. Is it a real Ehle downstem you're testing this on? I've got a few cheaper ones and those are a little wider than the GG joint of my Ehle downstems for some reason.

OhTheAgony,

vaplexus

headdoctor said:
Here's a question for any audiologists out there: can a high frequency sound that is *not* heard cause headaches? This is really just a question from curiosity; I don't mean to suggest that the high frequency noise that some can hear on the Solo is causing any headaches, etc etc etc. I'm really just interested in whether an inaudible sound can, in theory, cause headaches.

it is possible. i am not 100% sure of the neurological mechanisms but high pitched sounds and any frequency for that matter can be irritating to certain people to the point of causing blood pressure changes that can cause headaches. the sound is likely caused by a switching power supply in the solo. as an experiment, try wrapping the solo in a towel to see if you can attenuate the sound. first try one layer around it, then two then more. leave the bowl end clear. see if that helps if not try also covering the whole thing with different layers. it shouldn't take much to make the sound go away. if you can attenuate it with one layer then it could be possible to put a layer of cloth on the inside of the solo to attenuate the pitch.

i can't hear these pitches myself.

vaplexus,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
As I stated earlier I seriously doubt all Solo's make that noise. I'd return mine under warranty if it did.

OhTheAgony,

vaplexus

OhTheAgony said:
As I stated earlier I seriously doubt all Solo's make that noise. I'd return mine under warranty if it did.

It's highly likely that the solo uses a switching power supply Internally likely to power the heater. Switchers often make a high pitched sound that people with good hearing can hear. In other words it's likely all solos make a pitch. For example my two solos I can not hear anything but they both create a sound that my studio microphone picks up. When I cut the high end eq the level goes down and off indicating its a high pitch outside my hearing range.

vaplexus,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
A friend of mine has a pretty damn good microphone that I could use to check out this noise issue.

I have a M102 Ceramic and a M105 SS.

I'll report back once I've checked it out.

Can anyone who normally hears a sound from their solo elaborate on when they hear it?
Is it just during heating?
all the time?
intermittent with no sort of pattern/cause?

Frederick McGuire,
hey audio question guy, If it is powerful enough, it can
All "sound" is, is the movement of a pressure wave through a substance The speed of sound varies depending on the substance it travels through.
The speed of sound in
water is 3316mph
Air is 768.1mph
human body is a lot of water.

Willuminati,

headdoctor

Thanks. One of the subtexts for my question was whether the *absence* of sound or smell or chipping could reasonably be taken to imply a (relatively) safe product. I don't mean to suggest that their presence necessarily implies something unhealthy; but, given all the questions raised about the Solo, whether there was good reason to think that the absence of these problems was in itself something of an "all clear."

headdoctor,

vape4life

Banned for life
My first warranty solo had that sound, but it wasn't from when it was new. It developed after a bit of time, maybe a few weeks or a month or so, can't remember if it happened only during heating.

So first headaches, and now tinnitus lol I always have ringing in my ears at night, and even though I do, I still have incredible hearing. I can hear the high pitch whining sound from the EQ transfer, or a CRT tv. I don't think the solo can cause tinnitus.

Frederick McGuire said:
A friend of mine has a pretty damn good microphone that I could use to check out this noise issue.

I have a M102 Ceramic and a M105 SS.

I'll report back once I've checked it out.

Can anyone who normally hears a sound from their solo elaborate on when they hear it?
Is it just during heating?
all the time?
intermittent with no sort of pattern/cause?

vape4life,

MG23

Relaxin'
The sound only occurs when the heating light is flashing, it stops as soon as the unit is idle (on but not actively heating).

Pretty obvious it's from the switching heater, because of that I'm pretty sure they all make the noise.

MG23,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
Has anyone else noticed that their SS model has a louder beep at the start up than the older ceramic did? Mine is at least twice as loud it seems. Not a complaint just something I noticed that I wonder was another intentional change?

aesthyrian,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
vaplexus said:
OhTheAgony said:

It's highly likely that the solo uses a switching power supply Internally likely to power the heater. Switchers often make a high pitched sound that people with good hearing can hear. In other words it's likely all solos make a pitch. For example my two solos I can not hear anything but they both create a sound that my studio microphone picks up. When I cut the high end eq the level goes down and off indicating its a high pitch outside my hearing range.

I know this, but my hearing range goes over 22.000Hz and I can hear absolutely nothing with my Solo. I only can test it with my own though, I don't have aces to any other Solo's. I'm not sure if it's possible but perhaps there is a variation in loudness between one switch and another? If they do infarct all make the sound then that's the only explanation I can think of to be honest. The microphone test is a good one though, I wonder if it's possible to somehow measure a frequency and loudness with one as well?

But just a thought, but isn't it possible that another technique is used that doesn't make a sound at all, and that the people that are hearing a noise just have a faulty condenser in their Solo? That would make a high pitch noise to, and could also explain a funny smell that's causing head aches.

OhTheAgony,

vaplexus

headdoctor said:
Thanks. One of the subtexts for my question was whether the *absence* of sound or smell or chipping could reasonably be taken to imply a (relatively) safe product. I don't mean to suggest that their presence necessarily implies something unhealthy; but, given all the questions raised about the Solo, whether there was good reason to think that the absence of these problems was in itself something of an "all clear."

LOL dude, you smoke vapour. That in itself is very unhealthy (better than combustion yes but not healthy in the least). A little high pitched noise or some inert ceramic in your digestive system is not going to hurt you. Sorry I am just getting a little annoyed with all the apparent sensitivities around these things. It seems nit picky at best. You do vapour for heavens sake. Suck it up, buttercup.

vaplexus,
vaplexus said:
headdoctor said:

LOL dude, you smoke vapor. That in itself is very unhealthy (better than combustion yes but not healthy in the least). A little high pitched noise or some inert ceramic in your digestive system is not going to hurt you. Sorry I am just getting a little annoyed with all the apparent sensitivities around these things. It seems nit picky at best. You do vapor for heavens sake. Suck it up, buttercup.
Actually it was my understanding that THC has anti-canceristic properties and that even combusting for a long time has had no bad side effects? So then with basically pure THC you would think that we would be getting more if not all of those anti-canceristic properties and none of the bad carcinogens?

VapeNStone,

vaplexus

VapeNStone said:
vaplexus said:
headdoctor said:

LOL dude, you smoke vapor. That in itself is very unhealthy (better than combustion yes but not healthy in the least). A little high pitched noise or some inert ceramic in your digestive system is not going to hurt you. Sorry I am just getting a little annoyed with all the apparent sensitivities around these things. It seems nit picky at best. You do vapor for heavens sake. Suck it up, buttercup.
Actually it was my understanding that THC has anti-canceristic properties and that even combusting for a long time has had no bad side effects? So then with basically pure THC you would think that we would be getting more if not all of those anti-canceristic properties and none of the bad carcinogens?

Do you honestly think that inhaling vapour has no detrimental health issues? Look at the reside that builds up in your mouthpiece; that is in spades in your lungs. It's not pure thc. And even if it was THC has a number of unhealthy long term effects. I won't patronize you by googling and posting link but ask they you use common sense and also google for yourself. There are many citations. Sure it all makes us feel good but this vapour practice of ours in not healthy at all. MORE healthy than combustion but less healthy than not doing it at all.

vaplexus,
Reactions: papa

Zed

I am the Dungeon Master of you.
vaplexus said:
Do you honestly think that inhaling vapour has no detrimental health issues?

This isn't the issue. The issue is what (if anything) is burning off and what (if anything) is causing the sound reported. I am making a conscious decision to inhale vaporized THC, does that mean I should also be exposed to unnamed additives from the delivery system?

Feel free to give positive feedback about the solo but from your tone it sounds like you feel vaporists deserve whatever contaminants they get, I do not agree with you.

zed

Zed,
vaplexus said:
VapeNStone said:
vaplexus said:

Do you honestly think that inhaling vapour has no detrimental health issues? Look at the reside that builds up in your mouthpiece; that is in spades in your lungs. It's not pure thc. And even if it was THC has a number of unhealthy long term effects. I won't patronize you by googling and posting link but ask they you use common sense and also google for yourself. There are many citations. Sure it all makes us feel good but this vapour practice of ours in not healthy at all. MORE healthy than combustion but less healthy than not doing it at all.
I'm well aware of the affects of THC. Oh and patronize all you want because I have done my research. I am well aware of good and bad effects. Actually someone did it for me and I just link it ;)
http://www.freedomtoexhale.com/GL.pdf
There you go buddy! Read up

VapeNStone,

guitarscreamngrowler

hey there guys i contacted the headshop they have the ceramic 102m model 250 for it. should i pick this up or get a ss solo off the net. an what websites got the ss.

guitarscreamngrowler,

vaplexus

You can get it cheaper. I paid $155 plus shipping for my ceramic off eBay. Then arizer sent me a SS free and let me keep the ceramic. Two for the price of one.

vaplexus,
wow guys my SS is great. It heats up hella quick and it doesn't have any smell what so ever. I am doing the first 12 min burn in as I type. I'll let you know once I actually hit or a bowl out of it.

VapeNStone,
Top Bottom