Arizer Solo

spgphan

Hey, one more question, I haven't seen this answered specifically because I havent read all 88 pages, but...

Is it better to charge the battery after it is fully depleted? Or should I recharge it after every few sessions, like every night or every other night? I want to keep my battery for as long as possible and would like to know how to care for it.

Thanks.

spgphan,

thecragus

Don't let the battery run all the way down. This unit will not "over-charge" so leaving it charging is not a problem (according to Arizer). I charge mine once a day but do not leave it charging......already too much phantom load around my house....

thecragus,

vaplexus

Here is my take. My answers in cyan

spgphan said:
Hey I have been scouring this thread for a while now, and after watching many youtube videos, I had some questions.

How much does gravity affect the fact that the herb is upside-down without a bottom for it to rest on? I would not want the herb to fall down into the heating element if the unit got bumped or started to lose its consistency.

I am the person who posted the temperature charts back some posts ago. I can tell you it won't matter. The heating element is not visible and heats the crucible which is the ceramic coated thing some people have flaking issues with. that is a metal cylinder that heats up. my charts show the temp of it directly. so the herb will never get to a temp to combust. once you start inhaling, the herb will come close to the temp of the crucible. forget about consistency with this and any other vaporizer: because the temp of the herb relies on conduction and convection, you will never be able to hold the herb at a regulated temp. nor do you have to for good vaporization results.

How much will fit into the bowl packing area? How much is needed for it to stay in the bowl so it doesn't fall out?

i was able to pack in such a small amount it would not read on my 0.01g scale. max you can pack in about 0.3g of pre-ground herb. i don't pack. i found packing to constrict airflow too much. also you don't have to worry about the herb touching the crucible as per above. I now use screens. one on top and on the bottom of the herb which i put in loosely packed. i find for me this works best.

What is the difference between the Stainless Steel model and the original?

The original has what i think is an aluminium crucible that is coated with a ceramic material intended to provide a pure a heating solution as possible without imparting odours or taste. the SS model has a crucible made of stainless steel and is bare inside.

What are the reasons not to buy vaporizers on Ebay? Are they still the same exact products? Are the warranties void? Do you have to buy through a store or online dealer to keep the warranty?

I purchased my solo on ebay from a non-authorized reseller. it appears to authentic and i am sure i will have no issues with warranty from arizer. other's have not had any problems from what i understand.

I am seriously considering this vape, and would like to make the right decision. I am also interested in the Herbalaire H2.1, and possibly the Whispr. Any advice between these models would be greatly appreciated also! I know the HA is a completely different style, but I did not want to knock it because I like the design.
Thanks!

I have an HA 2.1 which I have been using for a couple years. its my main vape. i also have a MFLB (magic flight launch box) which I had had for about a year. I have had the solo for a couple weeks. the HA is good because it just works and take a larger load of herb than the solo. no batteries means you aren't having to charge it all the time. it will fill bags for party use. in general I like the HA very much and continue to use it. the solo i find is good for portability around the house and doing a smaller amount. the MFLB is great for camping or where size and inconspicuousness are important. the solo is too large to hide while using it where-as the MFLB you can hide in your hand. so i feel all three compliment each other.

vaplexus,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
fuckin a vaplexus...you sure know how to make sure I won't read something! That color text is hard on these old eyeballs.

stickstones,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
It maybe a bit easier to read if you turn down your screen brightness. No idea why, but everyone always seems to put it at full blast.

OhTheAgony,

goody8504

Or the quicker solution is to just highlight what you want to read while you're trying to read it. Then you won't have to mess with any of your settings if everything's already set the way you like it

goody8504,

Lefthook

VapoMiner
Hey Cyan

I have recently moved from smoking countless joints a day to vaping and i had been worried about selecting the right vape. Heard about the solo and then read this entire thread and asked the amazing FC community some advice before deciding this is the right vape and never looked back.

I too bought my vape of ebay and had the ceramic flaking issue, i contacted arizer and sent my ebay receipt and receievd my replacement very quickly so to answer the question of should i get one off ebay-----it worked out well for me due to Arizer so i wouldnt worry.

I cant compare this to other vapes as like i said im very new to vaping but i love my solo and i dont combust anymore so ticks all the boxes for me .

On a side note i will be saving up for an MFLB for my days out as the glass stem is not to portable in my own opinion and i have heard there is a learning curve with other vapes.

Happy Vaping
:)

Lefthook,

zombonaut

I would like to add another endorsement of the Magic Flight Water Pipe Adapter for use with the solo.

It works really well and though it requires the use of both hands, it's very satisfying and easy to use. With the sealed foam rubber gasket connection my bong milks up nicely! :ko:

The only major downside is that at $30 plus shipping the WPA is an expensive bit of wood and glass, but I'm still glad I bought it.

zombonaut,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Could someone who has one make a photo or perhaps even a short video of how you use a MFLB WPA with the Solo? I'm interested but have a hard time picturing how they'd go together.

OhTheAgony,

zombonaut

I can't take photos of it, at work right now.

It's very simple though. It has a 14.4 fitting for my glass (adapter available for the larger size) then a wood part with an opening that a little foam rubber ring fits into. The foam rubber ring is the same as the battery push back ring from the MFLB.

So you just press your Solo stem into the foam rubber to create a seal, then just pull it away to clear the tube.

zombonaut,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Ah, gotcha, thanks.

I didn't know about the foam rubber seal and that it matches the Solo stems, I can see it now so no more need for pictures (although they do always seem to brighten up the place a bit.. ;) ).

Don't you like how the Solo pairs with 14,4mm GG btw? To be honest it sounds a bit flimsier with an adapter then without one.

OhTheAgony,

zombonaut

You make a good point. The difference is subtle.

The original 2 hole stems (which mated to my downstem fairly well) seem to have a slightly larger diameter than the new 3 hole stems I got. The smaller stems seemed to me to be allowing air to leak in to my downstem causing slightly thinner vapor. I experimented with wrapping a rubber band around my stem to create a better seal and it worked but was a pain in the ass. Also my new 3 hole stems are looser and don't stay put if you don't hold on to them when inverting the unit.

The WPA makes it easier to use. The angle of the opening means you are holding the the Solo sideways instead of inverting it and sticking it into the downstem. This helps my noob friends get it right without stress or dropping my glass stems.

zombonaut,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Ah yes, so far I've only used the old stems, didn't know the newer ones are thinner. Curious about the reason for that btw.. (mumbles something about a possible compensating for the lost in heat retention with the extra holes...)

Anyway, my old 2 hole stems rest about a mm above the end of the sanded connection in my 14mm downstem, so I can see how thinner ones could cause problems when trying to make a good seal. Good to know. I was waiting for the new stems to arrive before buying some back-ups, but knowing this now I'll rush to get the old ones instead. Thanks for the additional info!

OhTheAgony,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
I don't think you need to rush Mr Agony. Mine arrived today, at last, and I find the new stems much better- especially the straight one. My new stems are actually a tighter fit than my old stems, which were both fully loose as could be, and the new straight one is actually uncomfortably tight in the now defunct solo- it only just goes in with some force.

I've no idea why, but my new ones seem to produce slightly better vapor than the old style, although the draw speed feels very similar with the looseness of the old stem maybe compensating for the extra hole :shrug:

One final point is that my replacement Solo smells, although I'm sure it'll dissipate. I've never suffered from a smelly vape before, and it's a bit like ghosts- until you think you've seen one you're never really sure to what extent you believe these things exist. In the past I've put it down to me maybe not having as sensitive a sense of smell as those that do report issues, but it's always in the back of my mind that it could be psychosomatic for those afflicted ;). Not anymore! My new Solo veritably stinks on the inhale, yet my first one didn't at all. So there you go.

WatTyler,

vape4life

Banned for life
I'm waiting by the door for my SS solo warranty replacement and expect an initial smell like this warranty replacement had, and it disapated rather quickly. I think it all has to do with how many cycles they were burned in with.

Thanks for the info about the new glass stems!

WatTyler said:
I don't think you need to rush Mr Agony. Mine arrived today, at last, and I find the new stems much better- especially the straight one. My new stems are actually a tighter fit than my old stems, which were both fully loose as could be, and the new straight one is actually uncomfortably tight in the now defunct solo- it only just goes in with some force.

I've no idea why, but my new ones seem to produce slightly better vapor than the old style, although the draw speed feels very similar with the looseness of the old stem maybe compensating for the extra hole :shrug:

One final point is that my replacement Solo smells, although I'm sure it'll dissipate. I've never suffered from a smelly vape before, and it's a bit like ghosts- until you think you've seen one you're never really sure to what extent you believe these things exist. In the past I've put it down to me maybe not having as sensitive a sense of smell as those that do report issues, but it's always in the back of my mind that it could be psychosomatic for those afflicted ;). Not anymore! My new Solo veritably stinks on the inhale, yet my first one didn't at all. So there you go.

vape4life,

zombonaut

It sounds like the whole loose vs. tight stem thing is still luck of the draw. I am however pleased with the air flow on my loose 3 hole replacement stems.

zombonaut,

mongrel

i love my solo and it's just shit itself. red and green lights flash alternatively and no heat. fuck me dead said foreskin ned.... the bastard from the bush, where the hell is my extreme q tower.

mongrel,

Vaped Ape

MMJ Therapist specializing in gynecology~wannabe
Mongrel

Sorry to hear that. You have only the second one I have heard of quitting prematurely. E-mail Steve over at Arizer Tech and let him know you use this daily for medication and ask him please to rush you a new SS version asap.

Let us know what he says.

Da Ape

Vaped Ape,

Vaped Ape

MMJ Therapist specializing in gynecology~wannabe
I never really notice an order from my Solo but I thought what the hell and decided to bake the cap to my silver Solo. First off it appeared that there was evidence of some of the outside finish on the inside of the cap.

I took 220 wet or dry sandpaper and worked the finish off the outside of the cap. My best guess is this is a powdercoat finish (probably so on black or silver) as it came off harder than expected. Maybe had 30 min in the deal. Then I took 00 steel wool and worked out the scratches from the 220. At that point I could have left it with a brushed alum finish or polish it up. So far I have left it brushed. Lastly you should take a small exact fit drill bit and ream the vents to get rid of any color

Then I put in in the oven on 475* for 15 min. Make sure you let it cool on it's own. Putting a hot cap under cold water may make it cool too soon and warp. Very close tolerances on the cap threads so just a bit of warp would render the cap useless. Now I need to get out a clean stem for the taste test and will report back on that later.

Just a side not on the cap threads. Always be very careful when screwing the cap on and off as the threads can gall. This is not exactly a full cross thread but it is close and common with alum and stainless hardware. Antiseize or a bit of machine oil would work but it will leave an odor so don't do that. Make sure the threads are clean and go slow. Also found out that not all caps will exchange well with another Solo-back to the fine threads.

Da Ape

Vaped Ape,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
mongrel said:
i love my solo and it's just shit itself. red and green lights flash alternatively and no heat. fuck me dead said foreskin ned.... the bastard from the bush, where the hell is my extreme q tower.

:lol: that reminds me!:

May the pangs of windy spasms through your bowels dart,
May you shit your bloody trousers every time you try to fart....

May the itching piles torment you, may corns grow on your feet,
May crabs as big as spiders attack your balls a treat,
Then when you're down and outed, to a hopeless bloody wreck,
May you slip back through your arsehole, and break your fucking neck

beautiful. :cool:

you couldn't insult someone better!

(my aussie ex was a folk singer, this was the end of an old poem/song about foreskin fred the bastard from the bush)

Bad luck with the solo mongrel.

WatTyler,

vape4life

Banned for life
Interesting, where could this ABV come from? I figured if there was nothing in the bowl, there is nothing in the unit?

edit: I've used my solo heavily and took the cap off and shake the unit and noticed no ABV at all. Put a clean stem on and inhaled and got nothing? All I do is use a dry qtip every once in a while.

u bwade wunner said:
The 14mm adapter works well but i crank the solo up to six.nice clouds.

I decided to check if there was any product crumbs inside my solo like people have reported.I sucked on the empty solo bowl and got 2 mouthfuls of air and product from inside the guts of the solo.Not very tasty.I do grind .just prefer it that way in my stem.I hope that it does nt clog up the vapor path and kill the element long term.I guess I ll have to suck and clear the air path daily to keep the ports on the solo bowl clear. Is there anyone out there that has a workable easy to use push in pull out 2 screen set up for the solo maybe using other vape screens that fit perfect.

Vapexus
so if the solo crucible is coated ceramic aluminium,its not gonna be too healthy vaping off aluminium if you ve removed youre coating.Is vaping from an aluminium bowl safe i wonder?
great post by the way!

the solo is a heavy hitter no doubt about that .abuse it and it will smash you. :)

vape4life,

Samsquanch

Vapor Astronaut
So 14mm will work fine , well thats a plus , but , there seem to be some other issues going on here that are of more concern than just glass .

btw - thanks for the heads up charliedontsurf , price is not my reluctance , I think Im gonna wait a bit till all of the bugs are worked out , when Im ready Ill hit up Kevin

Samsquanch,
Top Bottom