Arizer Solo

ru_frothi

Portable Vaporist
steiner666 said:
Vaped Ape said:
Hey for you guys with stinky lids.

If you get stoned enough you can actually sit in front of a ballgame and after removing the original finish you can polish the lid so it is free of any coating and have a nice shiny polished alum lid. Not so stealth but-no stink either.

I'm curious if the original Solo coating is powder coated or just a baked enamel paint.

Da Ape

So is the general consensus that its the paint or whatever the solo is coated with that puts off the smell ppl have mentioned? If so, is it present on the silver ones? I can't tell if they're just bare aluminum or coated with something too.

Because if the silver ones stink less i'll totally get one of those instead.

Silver ones still stink. I baked mine this afternoon but havedn't had a chance to take it for a drive yet.

ru_frothi,

ru_frothi

Portable Vaporist
OK baking did help the odor. 12 minutes at 400F in a toaster oven with indirect heat helped a lot.

ru_frothi,

vaplexus

Im surprised no one thought my temperature measurements were worth talking about. humph. well anyway, i also think this makes the solo more of a convection vaporizer than conduction.

vaplexus,

shane15

Really wanting this vape. Has anyone bought the solo from arizersolovaporizer.org. I am looking for the cheapest price living in Canada

Thanks.

shane15,
vaplexus said:
I have exciting news! I have a logging 2 channel digital thermometer. I used it to measure the bowl surface temp and the temp of the material simultaneously. from what I know the best vaporization temp for THC is 350F / 176.6C. I have real time charts I plotted and all the data which I will post later because I want to annotate it showing the various temps and inhaling I did.

I used 0.2g of ground material in a bent 2 hole pipe.

The result was this. in order to keep the material above 180C when inhaling you have to:

- set it to 5- wait until the heat light stops blinking- inhale medium-strong (such as on a normal milkshake) for 15 seconds- wait 5 seconds- inhale for how ever long- exhale for the same time as you inhaled (keep it 5- 15 seconds, inhale or exhale)- if you stop, let the unit settle back (no heat light) then repeat from the 15 sec inhale

A good product idea: a device that can hook onto a vaporizer and/or mouthpiece that places a thermistor in the material bowl and give a digital display of temp. this way you can monitor in real-time the temp of the material and adjust your inhaling to keep it where you want it....

I first tried setting 3. you can see in the red line where i inhale and stop. the idea is that you want to get the material at 350F or about 180C. that should be the minimum temp. so with setting 3 i can't get the material to be at least 180..
I then tried 4 but again was not able to get the material temp over 180. you can see where the solo shut off and i turned it back on just before going to 4. then i tried 5. with 5 i could get over 180 (the horizontal green line)...
http://theplexus.com/Stuff/Solo-test-graph-annotated.png

The following graph shows that at setting 4 it was not possible to get the material temp above 180C. Setting 5 required a minimum 5 seconds inhale, 5 seconds exhale in order to keep the material above 180C. If this sequence is broken then the solo needs to stabilize at 5 (heat light stops flashing) then inhale 15 seconds, then go into exhale 5, inhale 5...
http://theplexus.com/Stuff/Solo-setting5-graph-annotated.png

It really was an awesome post and I'll quote it abridged because it does deserve attention! It'd be nice to get some larger versions of those graphs, too. - edit, clicking the link in my post does.

charliedontsurf,

vaplexus

shane15 said:
Really wanting this vape. Has anyone bought the solo from arizersolovaporizer.org. I am looking for the cheapest price living in Canada

Thanks.

Im in Toronto. got mine through ebay for $155US. with shipping and duty it came to $210 CAD total

I don't remember the seller. just look for the cheapest one that will ship to canada.

shipping was also priority and took 5 business days.

vaplexus,

vaplexus

charliedontsurf said:
It really was an awesome post and I'll quote it abridged because it does deserve attention! It'd be nice to get some larger versions of those graphs, too. - edit, clicking the link in my post does.

yes, if you right-click the graphics or the links in your post just above, it will open the graphs full size.

i have been using the solo at 5 using 10 second inhale, 10 second to exhale, repeat and it works great. i think i am getting good extraction.

vaplexus,
lowfront said:
this stinky puss is a really big turn off for me

Spend four or five battery charges just setting it at 7 and letting heat up. This has helped mine very much.

Lexus, I think the conduction element is larger than some would consider - the Solo is very similar to the HA to me, in that the material sits in a very hot, highly conductive metal bowl area while air is, or is not, passing over it. This helps contribute to both vaporizers' excellent efficiency, but can also lead to waste if you allow an active vape to sit for long periods without drawing from it.

charliedontsurf,

vapeguy

I had broken a glass tube a few months ago by knocking it against my glass ABV jar to empty it, I used to empty it by gently knocking it inside the glass jar but I guess even if you knock it gently after hundreds of knocks it looks like it eventually breaks, I now keep a "de-headed" wooden match stick to empty it that way.

However, today I took my Solo to the kitchen and put it on the counter and accidentally knocked it over and it fell on the hard tile floor. The glass tube broke but the Solo doesn't have a scratch and works like nothing ever happened (I'm using my spare tube now and ordering a new spare or maybe 2).

I'm glad to see the Solo easily survives even high falls onto the hardest of floors (ceramic tile directly on a concrete foundation), but I wasn't very worried, I know it's built like a tank and can take that sort of abuse, but still be very careful with yours just in case, but rest assured it will almost surely survive all falls other than falling a few stories out the window of course lol.

vapeguy,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
The brush that comes with the MFLB is perfect for cleaning out bowls from the solo stem. I have also dropped my solo and one time even accidentally flung it across the room because I overestimated the weight of the device haha so now I have two very tiny silver marks on the solo but no dents or anything.

The solo itself does seem very durable.

aesthyrian,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
vaplexus said:
Im surprised no one thought my temperature measurements were worth talking about. humph. well anyway, i also think this makes the solo more of a convection vaporizer than conduction.

thanks for the charts. i was going to say something but got distracted. Anyway, your results match what i found when i measured my heater temperature and also put a probe into the middle of the herb in my glass vial. That is, the herb is about 30F lower than the heater, until doing an inhale -- then the temperature of the herb will rise and match the heater temp. The geometry of my vape is very similar to the Solo.

To answer your speculation about a new vape that has a temperature probe that measures the herb, that doesn't appeal to me, because it violates my first principle of glass and only glass in the vapor air path.

Hippie Dickie,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I'm sorry I hadn't mentioned it but I had a long look at your charts as well Vapelexus, thanks for taking the trouble to make them and for sharing them.

I wasn't sure what to do with the info to be honest, because I wasn't sure how accurate your readings could be. I'd also like to see your test method repeated on at least a few Solo's to see how constant they are temperature wise. You definitely measure a more interesting temp range than Arizer advertises for the Solo, but it would make sense if those are true since there is a clearly noticeable difference between each heat setting when vaping.

OhTheAgony,
aab1 said:
I had broken a glass tube a few months ago by knocking it against my glass ABV jar to empty it, I used to empty it by gently knocking it inside the glass jar but I guess even if you knock it gently after hundreds of knocks it looks like it eventually breaks, I now keep a "de-headed" wooden match stick to empty it that way.

However, today I took my Solo to the kitchen and put it on the counter and accidentally knocked it over and it fell on the hard tile floor. The glass tube broke but the Solo doesn't have a scratch and works like nothing ever happened (I'm using my spare tube now and ordering a new spare or maybe 2).

I'm glad to see the Solo easily survives even high falls onto the hardest of floors (ceramic tile directly on a concrete foundation), but I wasn't very worried, I know it's built like a tank and can take that sort of abuse, but still be very careful with yours just in case, but rest assured it will almost surely survive all falls other than falling a few stories out the window of course lol.
lol its funny that you say that. Because I dropped mine the other night as well. Well I didn't drop it as I was dropped and it was in my pocket lol. I was drunk as hell after the packers, brewers games and when I went home with my buddies I guess I blacked out and fell down the stairs(oops!). My stairs to my basement are metal and my solo and my grinder were in my pocket at the time of the fall. I didn't remember a thing and then woke up with my arm, leg, and middle finger in serious pain. I asked my buddy what happened and he told me. I guess no more 12+ hours of hard liquor drinking again.

VapeNStone,

PlanetHaze

Don't Vaporize The Planet !, Vaporize Yourself
Retailer
shane15 said:

Thanks.

That is one of the scam sites noted in the red warning at the top of this page.

PlanetHaze,

Vaped Ape

MMJ Therapist specializing in gynecology~wannabe
@vaplexus

I have moved from a 3-4 temp rage to temp 5 now based on your postings. Thanks for you time and effort.

Da Ape

Vaped Ape,
When dialing in the solo I found 5 to be my most favorable setting anyways. So that is what I have been using. I usually hold my hit in just a bit longer then it took to draw it so it should be heating back up just fine.

VapeNStone,

ru_frothi

Portable Vaporist
Question for the group:

so I turn on the unit and let warm up for a minute or two and then I insert the glass and start hitting.

it seems to work better for me (based on experience with the Q) to let the herb and stem heat up. is anyone else doing this?

are you guys removing the stem between hits on letting keep the glass and herb warm?

Any tips would be appreciated.

ru_frothi,

vape4life

Banned for life
Yes, I put the stem on and leave it for about 10-20 seconds and then hit it. You'll find if you don't you won't get very much if any vapor on the first or maybe sometimes second pull. I leave it on during the sesh cuz I spend it pretty quick (veteran vaper here lol). It is a combination convection/conduction vape so if you leave it just sitting in there it will get brown on its own FAST.

My tiny spot flaking has now grown to over 1/4"... warranty time. Still no odour although i'm a bit weary of the replacement having it.

rufrothy said:
Question for the group:

so I turn on the unit and let warm up for a minute or two and then I insert the glass and start hitting.

it seems to work better for me (based on experience with the Q) to let the herb and stem heat up. is anyone else doing this?

are you guys removing the stem between hits on letting keep the glass and herb warm?

Any tips would be appreciated.

vape4life,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I always turn it on after I insert the stem and let it heat up together, I never take it out between hits unless I'm ending the sesh for the time being or when it's time to flip the bud (I don't grind my weed for the Solo).

OhTheAgony,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
I usually turn on the unit, then pack the stem, then insert the stem while the unit finishes heating up. (sometimes the unit is preheated by the time I've packed the stem)

I generally don't give the stem/herb any specific heat up time, as the first hit or two bring them up to temp pretty quickly, and IMO the flavor is quite nice on those warm up hit(s).

I also never remove the stem until a load is complete.

I'm currently using the uber done screen method, so my bowl only holds about 0.085g per load, compared to the 0.2g-ish I can pack with a non-screened stem.

Also, a word of warning: don't leave your solo stem to support the weight of the solo if you are putting the stem directly into a 14mm downstem, I made that mistake the other night, the solo moved a bit, and swiveled about 180 degrees.
Now I have 1 solo stem with a nice jagged glass mouth end :(

What I have been normally doing, is I have a 3-4 inch length of 7th floor tubing, with a 14mm 7th floor water pipe adapter, and the other end over my solo stem. (if you cut the tubing to the right length, you could get an effectively all-glass vapor path, with the tubing just holding the stem & WPA together.

It's a bit difficult ro get the tubing around the stem, but once it's on, it stays on.

On the plus side, I now have a spare stem to try that ground glass mod from a few pages back.

(fun fact, as I wrote this, vape4life & OhTheAgony both posted their replies.)

Frederick McGuire,

ru_frothi

Portable Vaporist
THanks for the tips guys and YES baking the lid dramatically cut down on the smell even after 10 cycles on power level 7.

ru_frothi,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I'm having some GonG stems commissioned. The standard angled stem will be cut before the bend, and a 14.4mm male GonG joint will be mated to it. Hopefully I'll have them soon and report back. I'll probably sell the extras that I'm ordering, or just give them to fellow FC members to try out. Would anyone here consider an angled stem with the GonG attachment? The only use I could see for this would be so better vaporbong with a 45% downstem. Should I have one of those made, too? Or just make them all straight?

Thoughts?

Stu,
Stu, I for one would love one, and I also see no reason for an angled stem. I've used the straight stem solo with a 45 degree stem and don't find it uncomfortable at all. I think you'd want the whole thing to be as short as possible, too.

I'm going to bake a few solo caps in a few hours... I'm thinking 375 for 10 minutes. Arf reported some discoloration at 475 for 10.

charliedontsurf,
Top Bottom