Arizer Solo

Zookeeper

hello all...
my o rings came and i was about to get it goin on using the method i initially saw here earlier.....

any way the 2 slotted ring drops out...and its flimsy bendy plastic......that....and that alone are the only way my method works.....
put the o ring in the OUTER slot....put the ring back in the hub and screw it up....
...make sure the 2 clips lock back in....heavy hands need nimbleness here....

Does the O-ring you used come in contact with the metal bowl? With the grooved black ring theres a tiny gap. If your not using that flimsy grooved ring, mind sending it to me? Its a high temp teflon and works great with my stem. But I may try your method while replacing my dried up teflon ring!

Zookeeper,

OF

Hello, does anyone have a source for a replacement teflon ring?

AFAIK none has ever been posted. In fact, I recall guys failing to get them from the maker (the only source since it seems to be a custom part).

This is, in fact, the problem that led to the search for the o-ring mod. If we could simply buy new (tighter) seals and install them instead we'd be Jake and not need the #113 ring.

The maker doesn't support guys taking the heaters apart, and IMO rightly so.

While mine may 'charge' for a moment after sitting and being plugged back in, the 3rd time you plug in the green always goes solid after a single blink, and . (I'm OCD and do this every time to make sure its completely topped off before putting it up). His battery life was shortened after about 6months, but I attribute that to always being on low charge and drained every single time.

You're welcome to use whatever routine you want of course, but if you really want to fly your OCD flag here I'd suggest you rethink it. Specifically, compulsively charging 'to the very top' is probably the worst thing you can do to the battery. Seriously, look it up. You get maybe 300 cycles. Back it off .1 Volt or so and you double the lifespan of the battery. Your buddy has better practice here actually. It's not good to fully drain them either, but really not as bad.....and Solo keeps you from really hammering them with the cutoff.

Check out:
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Especially around chart 4, interesting stuff.

In honor of this, many Military applications limit charging to 4.0 or even a bit under to limit/remove having batteries fail in the field. They live with lower operating time per charge.

IMO if you want to get maximum useful life out of your Solo battery always check battery level when you start a session. It's OK to finish a session that shows no battery left (current production, early 'meters' were different) since there's a fair size safety margin there, but charge after that (that is never go more than one session past 'no battery left' on the meter). Then, when you charge go to the top LED lit (changes between 4.0 and 4.1 Volts per cell) but before the charging light stops flashing (4.2 Volts) stop the charge. Don't let it go solid. This will, 'by the books' take you from 300 cycles to over 1000.

Your call, of course, but that's my advice if you want other OCD guys to stand aside and tip their hats as you walk by.

i unscrewed the lid and instead of pushing the ring on the stem and tightening the cap back on i decided to remove the 4 screwed hub holding the ss heat bowl......
underneath/inside the hub is a removeable double slotted disc/ring of sorts...
.....its my honest opinion that these slots around the inside/outside were both or one designed specifically for o rings to bi in place....maybe they realized w/ any air constriction the users gotta draw a little harder....and scrapped it...

Interesting idea, but I'm not so sure they first designed in an industry standard o-ring then changed their mind without changing the cover. Rather, I think the seal was a key design point from the start. I don't think it's an accident the way it works. I think it was a custom part from the very start, like (nearly) everything else in the heater is. Not, I guess, that that really matters?

What I do advise against is average guys messing with those four screws. Many guys have broken the heater leads this way. I'm one of them. You can't even see the danger from the top, let alone deal with it if you don't fully understand the assembly. The clips hold the two halves together until the screws are in (so it's a secure sub assembly), once the screws are in there's no need for the clips (indeed probably half the ones I've seen are unlatched and doing just fine). However, the four frail wires you can't see coming out the bottom of the center section solder to a PCB attached elsewhere. The four screws are keeping the wires safe by keeping the heater body firmly down on the four support posts, remove the screws, the heater moves (and the PCB does not) and you've got a dead Solo that IMO should not be covered under warranty (tampering by user).

Adding the ring on top (and removing it any time) without disturbing the internals further violate the warranty, removing those screws does even if you 'get away with it'. My advice is to use the ring as the rest of us are and not mess with those screws unless you really know what you're doing and can repair it yourself if you screw up like I did?

Regards to all,

OF

spoutti

Hello, does anyone have a source for a replacement teflon ring? I attempted to remove mine for cleaning (something I've done in the past) and it was brittle, split in two around the perimeter. I bet kevin can send me one but I wanna make sure I can find one before the holidays.

If you dont get that teflon ring, I would suggest the oring addonn. It will put pressure on the teflon ring and maybe squeeze the rip together.

Jab

@Jab did you miss the part about asking for an fc discount or price match. It may end up a lot closer and worth it. Also import tax and border fees or whatever else crap they pay can outweigh the extra even by that margin [...]
Yeah sorry I pressed "post" and realized I hadn't commented on that. Was editing while more posts were coming in and I didn't want to confuse people. As for the point you made: Yep thank you, if I decide to buy a backup I will definitely ask them about that and should they lower the price, it would indeed change things. I'm not a price nazi, I just thought their listed price was pushing it a tad bit, is all :cheers:

EDIT:

OF said:
And then the bigger question of 'will a new battery fix it?'.......I think not. 3 lights should have supported a session fine and no matter what it should now charge. Which it's not. IMO huge clue, the system isn't trying to charge.......

Hard to troubleshoot these things, might be a charger, this doesn't match the typical charger failure and that doesn't explain the lack of performance in the last session. I fear it might be a hard failure.

If the OP has access to a friend with a DMM and screwdriver we might be able to tie this down better. Normally, the first thing I'd try is PA mode, but that requires a PA......

To follow-up on this, I've since tested the battery with one of those cheap 9V battery testers and the Solo battery is NOT dead. In fact it looks like it's completely full (can't give exact measurement, meter just has red/yellow/green ranges). This would imply the battery has actually been charging during all the reset attempts etc (even though the light shows were going on).

I guess it's still possible that the circuitry on the battery is failing (since the voltage seemed over 7.4V on that 9V scale, but I could be wrong and it could just be "full" as it should be).

Anyway, thanks for help guys/ladies, it looks like I have no other choice than to send it in and be without a portable for New Year's Eve :bang: (I don't think the gf would appreciate me buying another one right now -- what with all the expenses december brings -- while I have a big-ass Volcano sitting here)

Last edited:

olivianewtonjohn

@OF or anyone who knows, is the bowl supported/secure? I started using my new Vapor blunt hydrotube, it's very big think almost a foot and also thick glass. Can this weight pose a problem or is the bowl in place securely? I'm not too worried about my gong just the solo

clouded vision

Nothing to worry about @olivianewtonjohn the weight shouldn't pose any problem but I wouldn't set it down with the hydratube on it. the higher center of gravity can cause it to tip easier which could lead to broken glass. Here is a picture of the heater and you can see the supports in there.
fnHbvFf.jpg

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
To follow-up on this, I've since tested the battery with one of those cheap 9V battery testers and the Solo battery is NOT dead. In fact it looks like it's completely full (can't give exact measurement, meter just has red/yellow/green ranges). This would imply the battery has actually been charging during all the reset attempts etc (even though the light shows were going on).

I don't think that the 9 volt tester you have will give a valid reading on "defective" batteries. You see the testing is looking for voltage "without" load. Many battery failures will measure good until you load them down and then the voltage drops. Causing the Solo to go wacky. Not saying the battery is bad for sure but that is where the odds lay. You would need to measure under load. Perhaps a car light bulb or 2.?

Good luck,

olivianewtonjohn

Nothing to worry about @olivianewtonjohn the weight shouldn't pose any problem but I wouldn't set it down with the hydratube on it. the higher center of gravity can cause it to tip easier which could lead to broken glass. Here is a picture of the heater and you can see the supports in there.
fnHbvFf.jpg
Excellent news great design. I'm hoping Arizer didn't fuck it up, the reports of lower temps/extraction is worry some

Jab

I don't think that the 9 volt tester you have will give a valid reading on "defective" batteries. You see the testing is looking for voltage "without" load. Many battery failures will measure good until you load them down and then the voltage drops. Causing the Solo to go wacky. Not saying the battery is bad for sure but that is where the odds lay. You would need to measure under load. Perhaps a car light bulb or 2.?

Good luck,
Oh.. well um, damn. I don't know the first thing about this electricity stuff, obviously. I will try it with some kind of load later (gotta go now). Thanks a lot @Pipes!

Zookeeper

You're welcome to use whatever routine you want of course, but if you really want to fly your OCD flag here I'd suggest you rethink it. Specifically, compulsively charging 'to the very top' is probably the worst thing you can do to the battery. Seriously, look it up. You get maybe 300 cycles. Back it off .1 Volt or so and you double the lifespan of the battery. Your buddy has better practice here actually. It's not good to fully drain them either, but really not as bad.....and Solo keeps you from really hammering them with the cutoff.

I have an extensive knowledge of other battery types, and cant see why starting at the top would be a bad thing? I have ran my vape all day every day,from wakeup til pass out for about 90% of the last year and a half, battery hasnt lost any noticable life. About 1 bar per 12min session. and through testing I find get 2-3 bowls after zero bars. It never gets below 2 bars usually,as I plug it in even between loading bowls. The only thing that going to kill battery life quicker IMO is full depth of discharge cycles, or a charging circuit that is ill designed. I have trust that the charging system is putting in proper voltage and amperage in. My friends 8 month old solo dies after about 4 bowls, and I can honestly say this is without a doubt from starting at 3-4 charge and getting the red light mid session before putting back on the charger. full discharge from a low starting point...

Zookeeper,
Reactions: Snappo

OF

To follow-up on this, I've since tested the battery with one of those cheap 9V battery testers and the Solo battery is NOT dead. In fact it looks like it's completely full (can't give exact measurement, meter just has red/yellow/green ranges).

Bummer, I was afraid of that. The symptoms around the failure were not good..... Pipes has a good point, in general, about battery testing, but here I think your test was conclusive enough. Most of those testers I've seen have a modest load but even without it Li-ions don't 'sag' nearly as much as other types. The battery read' normal (had plenty of charge) before the failure, and the Solo seems to charge it normally......looks like a hard failure to me, time to send it in?

Good show you've got backup, but that Volcano won't seem quite so portable when you get to the end of the extension cord.......

Best wishes

@OF or anyone who knows, is the bowl supported/secure? I started using my new Vapor blunt hydrotube, it's very big think almost a foot and also thick glass. Can this weight pose a problem or is the bowl in place securely? I'm not too worried about my gong just the solo

As another member showed the cup is secure inside the ribs in the body, but the cup is 'only' glued into place with furnace cement. If it breaks free, the lead wires will break.

It's a bigger risk than with a smaller WT for sure, and remember the maker never intended such loads, Arizer doesn't sell GonG adapters, they don't expect their unit to be 'hung up by the heater' (inverted on a WT), let alone expect someone to use a strengthened stem as a lever. I'd be careful, even more so than using the F Bomb or PNWT. It's duty the Solo wasn't designed for, although most would say it does fine (me included).

Also I think Arizer would have to honor the lifetime warranty on the heater (the part you'd break potentially) since they didn't specifically forbid this use in the pre sale conditions. Not, I think, they would give you any pushback anyway.

So I suggest going for it, just being careful. At some point the Solo is an accessory for the (larger) WT.

Good luck with it.

I have an extensive knowledge of other battery types, and cant see why starting at the top would be a bad thing?

Did you read the reference I suggested? If you had, I suspect you'd know why I said what I did, anecdotal experience not withstanding, the testing data shows what works for longest life.

Specifically what's going on has to do with the plate chemistry I beleive. When you make any battery you have to set it up so the anode or cathode runs out of 'stuff' first. IIRC car batteries are biased to the PbO2 side for instance? When you run out of chemical to convert, so long as the other plate is 'working' (and therefore conducting) further action takes place (often at higher voltage, if even by a bit), this can damage the plate (in our case a bit each time). This is the sort of thing that gives limited lifespan to batteries. It's what 'wears out'.

That reference is far from unique, it's just a lot easier to follow than many.

Here, check out what Wiki has to say:
"Lithium-ion is charged at approximately 4.2 ± 0.05 V/cell except for "military long life" that uses 3.92 V to extend battery life. Most protection circuits cut off if voltage greater than 4.3 V or temperature greater than 90 °C is reached."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-ion_battery

Makers love to push it so you get maximum battery life per charge (sells well) and are often not concerned about selling you replacements soon after the warranty runs out. But note what the 'smart money' in the Military does in cases where they want to depend on the battery for a long time...... I think we too would welcome "extended battery life" if we knew how to get it? 'cept we do, or at least some of us think we do.

OF

OF

As always thanks for the tips @OF

Anyone looking to order a new solo but want M1A instead of M1C or M1D..... I checked probably 20 stores but found it at Ezvaporizers. They price matched eBay

You're very welcome, of course, thank you. Informed choices is the game plan, right?

On that note, first rate tip for those poor souls who are currently Sololess.......I think some will be more comfortable with the proven version?

Thanks for your continued contributions on the Fourm, the 'new guys' need accurate, useful information and this seems to be the place to get it. Lord knows it answered a lot of newbie questions for me when I needed answers.

OF

EVlL 55

AFAIK none has ever been posted. In fact, I recall guys failing to get them from the maker (the only source since it seems to be a custom part).

This is, in fact, the problem that led to the search for the o-ring mod. If we could simply buy new (tighter) seals and install them instead we'd be Jake and not need the #113 ring.

The maker doesn't support guys taking the heaters apart, and IMO rightly so.

Check out:
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Especially around chart 4, interesting stuff.

In honor of this, many Military applications limit charging to 4.0 or even a bit under to limit/remove having batteries fail in the field. They live with lower operating time per charge.

IMO if you want to get maximum useful life out of your Solo battery always check battery level when you start a session. It's OK to finish a session that shows no battery left (current production, early 'meters' were different) since there's a fair size safety margin there, but charge after that (that is never go more than one session past 'no battery left' on the meter). Then, when you charge go to the top LED lit (changes between 4.0 and 4.1 Volts per cell) but before the charging light stops flashing (4.2 Volts) stop the charge. Don't let it go solid. This will, 'by the books' take you from 300 cycles to over 1000.

Your call, of course, but that's my advice if you want other OCD guys to stand aside and tip their hats as you walk by.

Interesting idea, but I'm not so sure they first designed in an industry standard o-ring then changed their mind without changing the cover. Rather, I think the seal was a key design point from the start. I don't think it's an accident the way it works. I think it was a custom part from the very start, like (nearly) everything else in the heater is. Not, I guess, that that really matters?

What I do advise against is average guys messing with those four screws. Many guys have broken the heater leads this way. I'm one of them. You can't even see the danger from the top, let alone deal with it if you don't fully understand the assembly. The clips hold the two halves together until the screws are in (so it's a secure sub assembly), once the screws are in there's no need for the clips (indeed probably half the ones I've seen are unlatched and doing just fine). However, the four frail wires you can't see coming out the bottom of the center section solder to a PCB attached elsewhere. The four screws are keeping the wires safe by keeping the heater body firmly down on the four support posts, remove the screws, the heater moves (and the PCB does not) and you've got a dead Solo that IMO should not be covered under warranty (tampering by user).

Adding the ring on top (and removing it any time) without disturbing the internals further violate the warranty, removing those screws does even if you 'get away with it'. My advice is to use the ring as the rest of us are and not mess with those screws unless you really know what you're doing and can repair it yourself if you screw up like I did?

Regards to all,

OF

...like i said,...once i put driver to screw i knew any thpe of warranty is now void,..

I actually think its a low down dirty shame that any type of mod should be done on the device at all....
The mondy i paid worked fine right out of my pocket,..but the device shure isnt 100% right out of the box.
I just focused and got lucky then i guess....i am not a vaporizer repair man by any means,..
Its just sad that the devices true potential is marred by stupid shit.

Im a cook,..i have to taste everything before it goes to the dining room,...
Its like they never "hands on" worked the solo

Last edited by a moderator:

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
Im a cook,..i have to taste everything before it goes to the dining room,...
Its like they never "hands on" worked the solo
I have a few cars and some are European some American.
I know how to work on them and got them pretty wired I think!

Now the SOLO is not perfect at all.
It has need for improvements as well.
However to take it a part and do my own repairs is not rocket science.
For this reason I don't keep buying portable vaporizes looking for the HOLY GRAIL!
Why their isn't one!
I do not want to learn another device of this kind.
I think the SOLO is like a old FORD PICK UP so simple yet functional!

Can the SOLO be better?
Most likely!

Does ARIZER need to do anything?
Probably not!

oli

just a quickie,

TO ALL NEWBEES USING THE SOLO :myday:

I 've had my SOLO for 1 month now, was very happy with it,

But NOW!

WOW WOW WOW a couple of days ago I forgot to pack my stem the way I've usually done it, fairly tightly packed that is, and what a surpise, a complete revelation as far as vapor goes. So thick, a pure joy

All the while I have been packing my stems way to tight!!! now I simply fill it, press it gently, only to make sure its all in with no spilling, so not hard at all.

just wanted to share :tup:

Caligula

Maximus
The mondy i paid worked fine right out of my pocket,..but the device shure isnt 100% right out of the box.
I just focused and got lucky then i guess....i am not a vaporizer repair man by any means,..
Its just sad that the devices true potential is marred by stupid shit.

A lot of people would argue that the OEM design is actually the best overall configuration for this device. Most of the time modifications are done to adjust the product to personal preference, not to "fix" something that is broken.

OF

WOW WOW WOW a couple of days ago I forgot to pack my stem the way I've usually done it, fairly tightly packed that is, and what a surpise, a complete revelation as far as vapor goes. So thick, a pure joy

All the while I have been packing my stems way to tight!!! now I simply fill it, press it gently, only to make sure its all in with no spilling, so not hard at all.

Great post! I points to a very important idea, experiment with technique. Material, heat, draw, grind and personal preferences make other guys 'best way' perhaps not best for you. Not to mention the odd cloud chaser or flavor freak who might be looking for something very different from you.

Vary the routine and follow the results you like.

A lot of people would argue that the OEM design is actually the best overall configuration for this device. Most of the time modifications are done to adjust the product to personal preference, not to "fix" something that is broken.

Excellent point as well. The mods we do are to customize the Solo for personal reasons I think. Some guys like the restriction of stock stems, others jump from PVHES to PVHES.

I think it's great we have such options......we don't have to 'do it the Army way'.

OF

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
The mods we do are to customize the Solo for personal reasons I think. Some guys like the restriction of stock stems, others jump from PVHES to PVHES.

I think it's great we have such options......we don't have to 'do it the Army way'.

OF

I really like the PHVES however I love the restricted draw of the Stock Stems.

Then I reach for the PHVES and love that as well.

Therefore I must have both types:

PHVES/STOCK

I jump back and forth between the two!

SWISS ARMY KNIFE

Zookeeper

OF, I checked into it, and it appears that you dont want to keep a li-ion battery STORED for an extended duration at 100% charge. I'm glad I know that now, but assuming one is going to be using the Solo the very next morning, I feel topping off is the way to go for a daily user. Again I'm not well versed in lithium technology,but I would assume if 100% charges were somehow detrimental to battery performance in any way, under regular use, that the manufacturers definition of 100% charged would actually be 95-99% of the cells capacity, limited by the charging system. I'm definitely going to leave the Solo half charged during TBs from now on though!

Zookeeper,
Reactions: OF

Hexi

just a quickie,

TO ALL NEWBEES USING THE SOLO :myday:

I 've had my SOLO for 1 month now, was very happy with it,

But NOW!

just wanted to share :tup:

Same thing happened to me the other night.

IMO for the best clouds, don't pack tight, but be prepared for 3 hits and done or 4 hits and done. I get greedy and try and pack tighter for more clouds, and it ends up just slowing everything down. And the clouds get big, then nothing then you need a stir etc...

Of course, not packing tight is in the OEM instruction booklet :clap:

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker
Dear Abby OF or Pipes -
While I don't ever let the battery run down to zero, I do let it charge to 100% only because I leave it and forget it. When I remember to come back to it and pull the plug, it's already been fully charged for quite some time. What's a guilt-ridden forgetful Solo babysitter to do?
:shrug:

Top Bottom