Arizer Solo

McNerdius

god of nerds
Likely scam site.

Just to throw it out there to any readers:

www dot arizer solo vaporizer dot org site appears to be a scam site, much like the one that was pointed out regarding the Cloud not to long ago. It states a "full one year" warranty, whereas the warranty is in actuality 2 years, as well as linking to a site claiming to sell the Cloud, which clearly isn't legit.

This link takes you to the beginning of the cloud-scam sites. The site i *didnt* link you to above seems as if it is made by the same folks.

McNerdius,

Vaped Ape

MMJ Therapist specializing in gynecology~wannabe
wake n blake said:
I got it!
I ordered what... Monday? Amazon Prime is awesome. Got it for $160. It's not the stainless steel, but oh well. I'll take all the flakes in the world haha... I wanted one when they were $300 but didn't have the cash... ah, can't wait to play... but that charging light is still blinking...

Both of my stems are loose-fitting, which seems to be preferred. Can't wait to test this out.

How many 'burn-in' cycles do you usually use to get rid of the weird plastic smell you guys/gals talk about?

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa341/weed_nerdkc/2011-10-12142813.jpg

and is this the right way to dome the screen? used a sharpie...
http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa341/weed_nerdkc/2011-10-12143310.jpg

@ Tracy Lee

Check out this guys photos on how to dome a screen for your Solo. Shape the screen over the blunt end of a Sharpie. Try not to consume all of you bowl volume though. Keep it clean. I clean/scrape mine quickly with a pic after each bowl and after 10 bowls then I will remove the screen and clean it thoroughly with isopropyl alcohol or while holding the screen in a tweesers I Bic blaze it.

Da Ape

Vaped Ape,

CaptainQ

steven22 said:
Im considering picking up a solo for myself... I already own an extreme and a magic flight.

can the members who own a magic flight and a desktop vape chime in and tell me how the solo has changed their day to day vaping operations ?

Hi Steven,

Having first owned the MFLB I was severely disappointed. I just couldnt get it to hit properly (ended up being a battery issue), so brought the Extreme Q. Became my nightly vape with bags in the begining but had switched to whips. Having stalking this thread for weeks and weeks, I finally brought a Solo for bedroom use. IMO the best purchase I have ever made. I have only used the Extreme Q once since I got the Solo (and that was while it was charging!). Honestly just buy it now. Yes the smell is an issue, Yes there is some small flaking, Yes you will get tiny bits of weed in your mouth without a screen, and Yes you should still buy it now. Even given all these issues, it's still the best going around.

CaptainQ,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Arf777, you still have the Arizer warranty. But most likely you won't get any service from the people that sold it to you so you'll have to contact Arizer directly when you have a warranty issue.

OhTheAgony,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
aesthyrian said:
stickstones said:
I keep coming to this thread because I know I will eventually get one. But I think I'm gonna wait a little while. I was an early adopter on the E and watched Arizer go through four revision over four years (I needed two replacement units) before they got it down pat. It wasn't until the third revision that they thought they finally hit it.

I just have to say that I have had my solo for two months now and it has no chipping, flaking, smells, or problems. Its the only vape I ever care to vape out of now and it's getting to the point that it's the only vape I care to own anymore.

I fucking love this thing and was hesitant to buy, and fortunately have no regrets.

Thanks...that's good to hear.

stickstones,

arf777

No longer dogless
On the 'domed screen' thing - other than getting it to fit, is there a reason for it to be domed instead of flat? I have a couple of screens that fit perfectly without bending them, though I cannot remember where I got them or what they were originally for. They were just loose in a tin of screens I have.

The smell on mine stopped after a couple of hours. And though I only played with it a little, so far I am seriously impressed. Massive clouds, both with a tube and on its own. And more efficient than I expected - felt comparable to a PD or CRZ. IMO, the other battery-powered portables I've tried don't compare. Though I admit I'm someone who has had problems with the MFLB. I think my unit may be the issue there, I should probably replace it some day and give it another try, since so many people I usually agree with love it. But the Solo is definitely my new portable favorite. Seriously stealthy, too.

arf777,
Alright guys and gals here are the pics of the 4 hole stems.

6d05d458.jpg

f861c1c3.jpg

UPDATE: Here is a pic of what my domed screen is. I like the one dudes but I still think its just a little bit to much.

ca84d787.jpg

VapeNStone,

vape4life

Banned for life
Enjoy your perfect fit flat screens. I tested both domed vs flat and saw no difference in airflow or vapor.

arf777 said:
On the 'domed screen' thing - other than getting it to fit, is there a reason for it to be domed instead of flat? I have a couple of screens that fit perfectly without bending them, though I cannot remember where I got them or what they were originally for. They were just loose in a tin of screens I have.

The smell on mine stopped after a couple of hours. And though I only played with it a little, so far I am seriously impressed. Massive clouds, both with a tube and on its own. And more efficient than I expected - felt comparable to a PD or CRZ. IMO, the other battery-powered portables I've tried don't compare. Though I admit I'm someone who has had problems with the MFLB. I think my unit may be the issue there, I should probably replace it some day and give it another try, since so many people I usually agree with love it. But the Solo is definitely my new portable favorite. Seriously stealthy, too.

vape4life,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
^ I too have given up on screens. I was convinced at first with the 'dome', but that was coming from a using convex screen. I was away on business at the beginning of this week and didn't have any screens, so went back to just the glass bowl- I actually found it better and haven't reinstalled my screens.

WatTyler,

vape4life

Banned for life
i still use screens, just flat ones. No matter how course the grind, or even nugs, at some point without a screen i'd get weed in my mouth and that feeling I find offensive.

vape4life,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I'm back to flat ones as well, but still put the domed one in sometimes when I feel like having a quick bowl (or two).

My Solo doesn't get that much use anymore though, I should change my sign, again *sigh* :p

OhTheAgony,

Sinclue

OK disagree with me, I can't force you to be right
I tried both ways with the screens and did feel the domed helped a little with the two hole stems. But with the four hole stems I haven't used a screen...on the bowl side.

I'm currently trying using a screen I put in from the mouthpiece end. Stops any stray material, doesn't make any difference which way it goes in, doesn't reduce bowl volume, and is easy to pop in and out to clean when needed.

Sinclue,
You'll need something to soak the oil into. Maybe get a Volcano concentrate pad (10ish bucks for 2) and cut it down to size. I have an old MFLB screen ripped out of a returned model which is great for the task actually, its superfine mesh holds the liquid, I just wish i Had regular access to these kind of concentrates.

You basically need a porous substance. A frit glass pad, a tangle of stainless steel wire, even a bunch of stainless steel screens stack into the stem would probably work. The Solo instruction card actually recommends using a ball of cotton, but I'm not too keen on that.

charliedontsurf,

ru_frothi

Portable Vaporist
wake n blake said:
I got it!
I ordered what... Monday? Amazon Prime is awesome. Got it for $160. It's not the stainless steel, but oh well. I'll take all the flakes in the world haha... I wanted one when they were $300 but didn't have the cash... ah, can't wait to play... but that charging light is still blinking...

Both of my stems are loose-fitting, which seems to be preferred. Can't wait to test this out.

How many 'burn-in' cycles do you usually use to get rid of the weird plastic smell you guys/gals talk about?

Hey new owner here.... I own Q and thought I would try this....

definetely getting a plasticy taste starting out. charged and went through 1 burn in cycle and took it for a drive. seems to work well.

Question from the noob:

Whats the purpose of the dome screen in the bowl? (OK found answer on page 8 or 9)

trying load smaller amount and like elbow pack on the Q.

upto 3rd burn in cycle now. will keep it up. Its it possible to overheat this thing and hurt by running it wide open?

ran about 5 cycles. smell appears weaker but still quite strong. more burn in needed.

This thing works. I have had 2 MFLB's and the 1st was too cool and replaced under warranty. 2nd unit was much better but it just didn't work for me the way I wanted. I read the extensive Vaporpedia info and have spents 10's of hours playing with it with little success other than feeling like I spent 10 minutes sucking on a straw for minimal results. The Solo I got vaked on the 1st bowl, and the 2nd bowl. The only issue right now is the taste from the out gassings etc. That and I didn't know what the heck I was doing till I watched a youtube video and saw how to load it. I had left the glass in it on high for 10 minutes and was a dork and burned my finger like a noob. won't do that again.

Fabbed a domed screen and used that for the 2nd bowl. medicine was evenly brown when done.

so far excellent except for the taste which doesn't compare to my EQ.

ru_frothi,

wake n blake

A Weed Nerd
Fear not, other noob... the taste and smell totally gets better... just keep using it.
I have a launch box too... and love it, but I know my friends have had troubles, so it's definitely not for everyone.
The only thing that shocked me was the airflow restriction (on the solo)... I just tell everyone to suck it like it's a really thick milkshake and bam, they usually cough and blow out monster clouds, haha. It's funny.

But yeah, just keep loading up bowls, and that taste/smell will just keep on going away. Every new bowl I load tastes better... kinda like it's daring me to keep going haha.

Waterbonging with it is GREAT. I'm totally digging it. Crank it up to 6 and just stick the tube down into the downstem, and it milks up pretty decently. No hit stuttering/mid-hit shaking like with the launch box (which I still love, and use while this badboy charges--I just like having a few different vapes to play with depending on my mood).

I'd like to see this youtube bowl loading video... I've just been guess-working... still not sure as to what kind of grind vapes the best.

And the dome does help with airflow, but I've cut the screen down and decreased the dome size big time... it makes it so you can pack the tube, but still breathe nicely through it... and you don't get herb in your mouth... which is lame... "offensive," as someone on here said, and I like that... cause it is... and then you get those remnants that cling into your mouth/throat AND cottonmouth... ugh.

ok, back to Thursday comedy and vaping reality haha.

wake n blake,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
charliedontsurf said:
You'll need something to soak the oil into. Maybe get a Volcano concentrate pad (10ish bucks for 2) and cut it down to size. I have an old MFLB screen ripped out of a returned model which is great for the task actually, its superfine mesh holds the liquid, I just wish i Had regular access to these kind of concentrates.

You basically need a porous substance. A frit glass pad, a tangle of stainless steel wire, even a bunch of stainless steel screens stack into the stem would probably work. The Solo instruction card actually recommends using a ball of cotton, but I'm not too keen on that.

I don't have access to any oil either, but I throw in a piece of hash in a stem and torch it every now and then, like you did in that video when you were reclaiming. If I had any oil I would just drop some in the mouthpiece and do the same.

OhTheAgony,

arf777

No longer dogless
So anybody found a vendor who has one of the 4 hole stems, either the straight or the bent one? Looks like Rockwise has the old ones, like everyone else. At least, it doesn't say the stems are 4 hole.

arf777,

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
ditto.... I'd like some straight stems (2,3, or 4 hole) myself.

On the concentrate/oil side... I too just make a sandwich with a single screen at the mouthpiece end.

smokum,
Well everyone the straight stem is by far the best. Seems to have the best flow and that means the end result is a nice light brown color. Also seems to stop any and all little pieces that would have normally made their way out and into your mouth. I actually wasn't going to switch right away but my buddy has some res in his grinder and when we loaded up a bowl it tasted like garbage. Now I need to clean the shit out of that stem because it just tastes like combustion now.

VapeNStone,

arf777

No longer dogless
On the subject of the odor - mine started smelling again a little - I think I was just to ripped to notice it last night. But I THINK I found the source of part of it, at least a theory that matches what I've experienced. I tried heating the Solo up to 7, but with the top off (the whole top you can screw off - not the little lid for the bowl/cup). That reduced the odor from the rest of the unit dramatically. Further, the top itself stank when I sat it on my PD to warm up as a test. Also, when I vaped with the top off it tasted better.

IMO, this seems like a problem similar to the ceramic chipping - they both would seem to be the result of unfinished curing/kilning. On the flaking the ceramic is undercured, on the rest it would have to be the paint (or whatever coating they use to make it black or silver) not having fully cured. Which would also explain why it stops eventually for a lot of people - running the Solo finishes the paint/coating cure, but not the ceramic, which normally takes higher temps. That's a theory that fits my data, at least.

arf777,

Kaptan

arf777 said:
On the subject of the odor - mine started smelling again a little - I think I was just to ripped to notice it last night. But I THINK I found the source of part of it, at least a theory that matches what I've experienced. I tried heating the Solo up to 7, but with the top off (the whole top you can screw off - not the little lid for the bowl/cup). That reduced the odor from the rest of the unit dramatically. Further, the top itself stank when I sat it on my PD to warm up as a test. Also, when I vaped with the top off it tasted better.

IMO, this seems like a problem similar to the ceramic chipping - they both would seem to be the result of unfinished curing/kilning. On the flaking the ceramic is undercured, on the rest it would have to be the paint (or whatever coating they use to make it black or silver) not having fully cured. Which would also explain why it stops eventually for a lot of people - running the Solo finishes the paint/coating cure, but not the ceramic, which normally takes higher temps. That's a theory that fits my data, at least.

It's funny you mention that. I noticed the other day when looking at both my ceramic bowl solo and SS bowl solo side by side that the black paint looks to be a different. The old ceramic bowl black looks slightly more of a shiny black and the SS one is more of a matte black. Has anyone else noticed this difference?

Kaptan,

vaplexus

I have exciting news! I have a logging 2 channel digital thermometer. I used it to measure the bowl surface temp and the temp of the material simultaneously. from what I know the best vaporization temp for THC is 350F / 176.6C. I have real time charts I plotted and all the data which I will post later because I want to annotate it showing the various temps and inhaling I did.

I used 0.2g of ground material in a bent 2 hole pipe.

The result was this. in order to keep the material above 180C when inhaling you have to:

- set it to 5
- wait until the heat light stops blinking
- inhale medium-strong (such as on a normal milkshake) for 15 seconds
- wait 5 seconds
- inhale for how ever long
- exhale for the same time as you inhaled (keep it 5- 15 seconds, inhale or exhale)
- if you stop, let the unit settle back (no heat light) then repeat from the 15 sec inhale

This will keep the material in the 180-200C range while inhaling.

A good product idea: a device that can hook onto a vaporizer and/or mouthpiece that places a thermistor in the material bowl and give a digital display of temp. this way you can monitor in real-time the temp of the material and adjust your inhaling to keep it where you want it.

UPDATE: here is the test graph. red is the temp of the material. green is temp of the heater wall. the brown line is just the difference between the two. the circled parts with numbers correspond to the settings. you can see the waver of the green line once it hits the temp it keeps the average +/- 2.5C or so - not too bad.

I first tried setting 3. you can see in the red line where i inhale and stop. the idea is that you want to get the material at 350F or about 180C. that should be the minimum temp. so with setting 3 i can't get the material to be at least 180.

I then tried 4 but again was not able to get the material temp over 180. you can see where the solo shut off and i turned it back on just before going to 4. then i tried 5. with 5 i could get over 180 (the horizontal green line).

Then, the last part are going up to 7 and then going down 1 by 1. the temps are the average temp at that setting. setting 1 is about 40C and is more of a "keep it warm" setting. it took too long to get 1 to stabilize so i stopped the graph.

the horizontal axis is time and because of the the way the graphing software works, the gradations are about 67.2s each.

I used an Apollo II, 2 channel K-type thermocouple logging temp meter and DS300 software.

As measured:
1 - 40C / 140F
2- 165C / 329F
3- 175C / 347F
4 - 190C / 374F
5- 200C / 392F
6 - 215C / 419F
7 - 225C / 437F

Solo-test-graph-annotated.png

The following graph shows that at setting 4 it was not possible to get the material temp above 180C. Setting 5 required a minimum 5 seconds inhale, 5 seconds exhale in order to keep the material above 180C. If this sequence is broken then the solo needs to stabilize at 5 (heat light stops flashing) then inhale 15 seconds, then go into exhale 5, inhale 5.

I did some other experiments on duty cycle and you can inhale/exhale as much as up to 15 seconds each. so min 5 seconds each up to 15 seconds each and inhale and exhale times have to be the same.

Solo-setting5-graph-annotated.png

Flatland

wake n blake said:
I got it!

What's the benefit of a domed screen?

Flatland,
Top Bottom