Arizer Solo

Vaped Ape

MMJ Therapist specializing in gynecology~wannabe
I have looked my Solo over and I agree that the vent whole at the top only vents the case heat out. I believe the draw comes from around and under the tube. Both of my tubes fit tight and it does seem to draw hard. I am using a screen and even when domed the screen seemed to start to effect the draw in just 2-3 bowls. I experiment with taking a small star washer and with needle nose pliers I was able to dome shape the star washer and it fits neatly above the 2 glass holes in the tube. Then I put my screen in on top of the washer. It makes the bowl about 15-20% smaller but it keeps the screen from falling down over the 2 glass holes.

With regard to the tight tube loose tube discussion I was wondering if a tight tube that had a couple of grooves cut longitudinally with a Dremel would draw nice and still be tight. I don't know enough about this type of glass to try it YET

Vaped Ape,
I and a friend have agreed that the vaguely hot-transformer smell of the Solo, combined with certain herbs, smells almost identical to roasted garlic.
Also, I tried FLskwat's method of putting a screen directly in the bottom of the heating chamber itself. All I can speak on is solid concentrates, but I can say that it gets way more hot than sandwiching screens in the stems, and also massively kicks up the conduction/convection ratio. This means it is much more satisfying for stuff that needs very high temps, but that you'd be a fool to take your bowl in a long, drawn out, leisurely manner - you'll want to keep hitting it till it's done or cooled down. I'll probably use his screen method more often than not for solids.

charliedontsurf,

maxter

After using my Solo for 3 weeks now, I'm very satisfied with it! I had only a Vapir No2 to compare with and the Solo definitely takes it to another level. The Solo gives you thick and clean vapor. Battery-life is enough for my needs (unless I share a lot). It's very easy to keep clean, because the only thing which gets dirty are the stems. I also had no issues with loose or to tight stems. To me, they both fit perfect (alltough one takes a bit more pressure to put into the device than the other), the airflow is just the way I like it.

@glaze83: thx for the pics btw, very interesting! I'm not very familiar with the "inside" of electronic devices. So maybe you or anybody else can help with my issue (I'm sure, i'm not the only one... ):

Is there a way to shut down the sound when turning the unit on or when it shuts down? This is pretty annoying and sometimes suspicious, especially at the movies... :mad:

The other way would be, to disable the automatic-shut-down after 12 minutes.

But after all, the Solo is a great vape and my daily companion...

edit to correct my poor english ;)

maxter,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
To turn off the beeps, turn the unit on and while in idle mode press and hold the left "^" button for a few seconds. This turns off all sounds and will stay that way until you do the same to turn them back on.

@glaze or Hippy... Can you tell if those batteries are lsd or hsd?

Stu,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
i suppose the 3.7v (definitely not the same as A123Systems) could identify the cells and LiIon type, but a quick Google didn't help, so i don't know.

Hippie Dickie,

Vaped Ape

After looking at my Solo further I think I am going to have to recant on my stand as to the vents on top. I had stated that they look to vent the excess case heat and had nothing to do with the vaper draw. First of all I concluded that the tight fit of my two tubes are tight at the case opening point and not down in the heat chamber. In other words when I unscrewed the top and set it aside the tubes fit loose in the chamber. I also notice that there is about .020 difference from the top of the heat chamber to the top of the case lid when fully screwed down tight and that .020 gap would allow air to draw through the vent holes,across the shoulders of the heat chamber and down alongside the loose tube. A better way to explain this might be if members unscrewed the top lid a couple of rounds and see if the tube draws better. Someone mention several pages ago that they felt the draw on the Solo was a product of careful design and not nearly as simple as it looks at a glance.

Da Ape

Vaped Ape,

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
Happy the screen trick was useful Charlie. ;)
You are also the first one talking about the electric transformer smell... which is totally there since day 1 and is one of the reasons I thought the air was travelling through the guts of the solo...
And again what are the 4 tiny holes (like the 4 cardinal points in the bottom of the heating chamber) in the bottom of the bowl chamber for?

FLskwat,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
^ I've got one for my Iolite. I can fit a Solo and one stem in alongside if I remove the pouch, but it's a bit tight.

WatTyler,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Does everyone here have a smelly Solo? Because I have a very sensitive sense of smell, and I can't detect what you guys are describing on mine. It was there the first 2 days but disappeared after that, so I figured that what I read about was just new-vape smell.

6V to charge a 3.7V battery just sounds stupid to me though, especially since most manufacturers strongly advise against charging these kind of batteries with anything over 4.2V because of the risk of damage. That would be likely to give you a bad melting battery smell at least! (pun intended)

OhTheAgony,

maxter

Stu said:
To turn off the beeps, turn the unit on and while in idle mode press and hold the left "^" button for a few seconds. This turns off all sounds and will stay that way until you do the same to turn them back on.

thanks mate!!

maxter,

Vaped Ape

No transformer smell with my Solo.

I have looked at my digital camera case and thought it would be perfect until I considered that the car adapter that I have yet to buy will not fit. I also carry a vile for ABF and of course another vile for my ground herb. So you guys that are out looking at cases might consider that a little extra room might be necessary.

Da Ape

Vaped Ape,

August West

I have never had the transformer smell before and as far as portability issues....I took it to Lollapolooza last sunday in the case from Rockwise and it worked like a dream. I was enjoying big clouds of white kush as I stared at the Chicago skyline and listened to deadmau5. The Solo definitely enhanced that experience and it was easy to pack and enjoy on the go. Battery wasn't an issue either but if I had been with a couple of friends it might have been. I was solo with the solo so it wasn't. :D

It's been interesting to read everyone's experiences with theirs and definitely enjoyed seeing the solo opened up. Thanks Glaze.

I also heard from rockwise that the a/c adaptor will be in next week. That will be a key thing to have with this thing along with a car adaptor too. I know they charge $30 for shipping to US which sucks. Any other options?

August West,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
August West said:
I also heard from rockwise that the a/c adaptor will be in next week. That will be a key thing to have with this thing along with a car adaptor too. I know they charge $30 for shipping to US which sucks. Any other options?

Yeah we need a U.S. supplier to sell the AC adapter. I'm not paying $80 for a fucking AC power adapter. That's a joke.

aesthyrian,

glaze83

heading to the electronics shop today -- expect a way to disable the 12 minute shutoff and the requirements for the 9v ac adapter :)

glaze83,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
Thanks glaze! While you're at it do you think you could find out what type of AC adapter works with the solo? Not the one that charges it, but the one that bypasses the battery so you can power the solo with a dead battery or without draining a full charge. I'm sure we can find an equivalent adapter that wont cost $45 plus $30 shipping.

aesthyrian,
alright let it charge up to 7, unplugged it heated it up to 7, vaped a bowl, plugged it back in and the battery read 5. Is this normal?

Idk guys it seems; glitchy. I should've waited, but I know what I was getting into.

biojuggernaut,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
After just one bowl mine usually still has all 7 lights on when I turn it back on again. Haven't checked to see if the readout is any different when I put it on the charger though.

edit. mine was full and I just had my first bowl today so I was able to check it for you, but 7 lights also came on when I put it back on the charger after my session.

Glaze: Do you think it's just a matter of pluggin in a different charger to use it on wired power, shouldn't there be a switch or something to bypass the batttery to prevent it form charging?

OhTheAgony,
Well, I may have to get my solo replaced if the smell is abnormal.. You guys are putting your noses right up to the top of the unit while it's on, and you get no off scents?

charliedontsurf,
yeah nothing here either. But mine is brand new. Maybe after the heating element breaks in it might heat up some of the chemicals.

biojuggernaut,

jackmormon

No smells here either. I have only had it for two weeks though, used daily of course :D

jackmormon,

Vaped Ape

FLskwat said:
Happy the screen trick was useful Charlie. ;)
You are also the first one talking about the electric transformer smell... which is totally there since day 1 and is one of the reasons I thought the air was travelling through the guts of the solo...
And again what are the 4 tiny holes (like the 4 cardinal points in the bottom of the heating chamber) in the bottom of the bowl chamber for?

The four little holes in the bottom of the chamber seem to go nowhere upon close inspections. My guess is they may have been placed there to let air escape as the chamber is pressed into place during assembly to allow the chamber to seat easier. They really seem to serve no other purpose.

Da Ape

Vaped Ape,
Top Bottom