Arizer Solo

glaze83

tested it out with a 2amp 9v power adapter and it wasn't function correctly. Measured the amperage as it was operating with the battery and it peaked at 2.5amp or safer a 3.5amp 9v adapter would work.

Also it would appear the heating element using induction to heat instead of ceramics -- its much more efficient and stable (or so the electronics shop says)

Also I was able to extract the model number of the main IC which controls the chip. There are two ics on the board which are sanded -- one is a smaller ic which just controls the battery charging and the other is a programmable ic by Holtek , model number HT86B50.

Now to scour the datasheet for the most user friendly way to turn off the 12 minute shutdown.

glaze83,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
No smell eminating from mine, either. However the vapor has a unique taste. Not terribly bad, just a little different.

:2c:

edit: Glaze, you're my new hero!

Stu,

Vaped Ape

MMJ Therapist specializing in gynecology~wannabe
biojuggernaut said:
how do i take off the cap? nvm I have no fingernails.

Wow what a small unit.

It screws off just like a jar lid. Righty-tighty Lefty-loosey Careful putting it back on because the threads are fine and you won't want to force it and cross thread it.

Da Ape

Vaped Ape,

glaze83

Looked over the datasheet, a 10k resistor from pin17 to pin15 will disable the autoshutoff.

This will however not help many people haha

glaze83,

Vaped Ape

Glaze,

I know already that you have much more on the ball than I do when it comes to small electronics. Maybe you even work in the field. But while we are brainstorming this Solo, ponder this, perhaps the 12 min shut off is necessary for safety reason as the unit may heat up beneath the chamber enough to fowl the electronics if say for instance that someone left it on 7 and forgot about it. Maybe the primary function of the 12 min shut off is not to conserve the battery and preserve the vape capability ( stoner's helper)

There really is no way that I know of to test the heat bounderies of the internal electronics without risking damage.

Bottom line if you can set it on 7 with a full charge and run it down without internal damage then there you go. All this might need to be revisited again when the "hotter" battery pacs are attempted.

Da Ape

Vaped Ape,

glaze83

12 mins is just how they programmed it -- they didn't want people running down their batteries because they forgot to turn the unit off.

glaze83,

Vaped Ape

That was a quick ponder. Lol. Hmm.... stoned or not stoned enough?

Da Ape

Vaped Ape,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
if it is a programmed 12 minute shutoff then i don't think pegging ~RES high (Vdd) will disable it.

for example, there's no way to disable the Bud Toaster 7.5 minute shutoff via any of the io pins -- which is why i added the 3.5 minute extension -- which i use about 25% of the time.

that HT86B50 is a lot more capable than the 12F683 i use ... does the Solo say anything with its 288 seconds of voice capacity?

Hippie Dickie,

glaze83

It just uses tones.

I'm just going by how people have disabled heating pads by putting a resistor from vcc to res

glaze83,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
I tried mine yesterday with an electricaly knowledgeable friend on an adjustable 3.5A dc adaptor set to 9v and it wasn't working correctly. It beeped on and was heating, but then after a minute or so it would beep and turn off again. The suggested reason was maybe something to do with it being a switching transformer and not keeping up with the demands of the Solo- so the impatient Solo turns itself off. In which case it would be a coil transformer we'd need instead of a switching one. We also measured the amps and found it to only be peaking at around 1.5amps (but it was already running when we tested and not from cold)

Can anybody concur with our findings? Or offer any more insight?

I'd really like to be able to run this from home. I'm actually REALLY pissed off with Arizer for not including this information in the instructions. It's a shambles to have to go through this after having invested $$$ in the vape. Are they just in cahoots with Rockwise on this to get lots of early, overpriced sales there ? I'm never going to be a Rockwise customer becuase they charge their customers excessive and exploitative prices, and I don't want US/Canadian plug transformers and to piss about with adaptors- I want UK ones for easier portability. Whatever, it is a foolish approach that has left me really frustrated with the manufacturer. If I blow up my Solo trying to solve this, I will be sending it back to them under warranty. That might get interesting. Let's hope not.

WatTyler,

vape4life

Banned for life
F$&@"! my solo now has a VERY offensive hot transformer smell now too! It's bad, if I turn it on to warm up even without herb it makes my room STINK! Although I love the portability, I am now starting to think this isn't the cats ass like I thought and am starting to regret selling my EQ. I have been a huge arizer fan but after this I'm concerned. Seriously smells bad. Anyone email arizer yet or should I? I feel like I bought this too soon for 299 and now I feel like I've been ripped off!

vape4life,

glaze83

the heater is pretty much self contained so I'm not certain what this smell could be. Unscrew the top, maybe you've been cooking some bugs with it haha

As for the autoshutoff its going to be a little harder to pinpoint the correct pin but I'll figure it out

glaze83,

vape4life

Banned for life
My solo is clean so it's not plant material. The odour is a very distinct electrical burning smell. I'm gonna do an overhaul clean up of it and keep monitoring it but it seems to be getting worse. It's so gross that I'm ready to go back to the EQ which NEVER had an odor. Guess I'll look into the mflb for portability needs as I'm not risking inhaling offgassing nasties!

My new opinion is that this thing was rushed to market

glaze83 said:
the heater is pretty much self contained so I'm not certain what this smell could be. Unscrew the top, maybe you've been cooking some bugs with it haha

As for the autoshutoff its going to be a little harder to pinpoint the correct pin but I'll figure it out

vape4life,

August West

Vape4life I would contact Arizer immediately and see what they say. I've been using mine non stop for at least a month and a half and have never ever smelled any sort of electrical smell with my Solo. Until you contact the company and see what they say I don't see how you can say you've been ripped off. I seem to remember talk of an arizer portable as far back as a couple of years ago....so I don't know that its been rushed to market too soon. Yes we are all early adopters or whatever they call it but I've had nothing but excellent results from my Solo and am very happy it arrived when it did.

If it's as bad as you say I'm pretty sure that they would take of that for you. Another good reason to buy from an authorized dealer but even if you did not, it sounds like you would still be covered it just takes longer? At least you live in Canada and it's a Canadian product.

Charliedon'tsurf has also mentioned an odor problem and was awaiting word back from where he got it....did you contact arizer as well Charlie? I'm curious to know how their customer service is? Rockwise has responded to all emails I've sent about mine. I'm still hoping that a US based dealer get's the accesories for this thing as opposed to that $30 rockwise international shipping charge.

Bottom line contact the company and tell em you've got a problem. If they are straight up about their product they will make it right. You did pay good money for a quality product that should have NO electrical odor that's for sure.

August West,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Arizer has a stellar reputation. You should always go to them first before coming here. Let them make it right like they always do.

stickstones,
I've contacted my retailer, vaporizerforweed.net, who -lied- about being an authorized dealer at first, and then we found out they weren't. They assured me very nicely that they would take care of me if any problems happened, that they would match Arizer's warranty. We're on hour 36ish right now with no answer from them, and something tells me I shouldn't hold my breath.

If you bought from an authorized dealer, Arizer should take care of you. I hear they're very good to the select, minority group of people who bought from their golden distributors, an issue I've bitched about in previous pages. I still may contact Arizer if VFW.net is truly silent on honoring their products, and we'll see if a 30 dollar discount over an authorized dealer is a big enough reason to tell me to go F*** myself.

I've also carefully unscrewed the top of my Solo, and can't see anything amiss. I wish those threads were a little better made.

Long, shitty day, sorry for the tone.

charliedontsurf,

August West

I understand the situation with warranty and authorized dealers.....had the same problem with Iolite when they refused to honor their warranty but have since changed their policy and will now honor it. Has Arizer refused to help you?? That's where I would start. Email Arizer and tell them of your problem. It's their product not VFW's....I would think they would be interested in one of their brand new units having a problem. They seem like a legitimate company who cares about the quality of their products from what I've read.

Keep us posted what happens. I'm sorry your having problems with your Solo. It's not perfect as no vape is....but it's proven to be a damm good vape so far for me. Definitely contact Arizer.

August West,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
Looks like these things finally hit ebay for $200 shipped. I would doubt any of those sellers are authorized retailers, but then again we have no reference to look at that can tell us who is an authorized dealer. This whole warranty fiasco is kind of silly especially when they don't tell you who you can buy it from and be guaranteed warranty service.

So Arizer, can we get a list of authorized retailers please? Otherwise the consumer has no other alternative than to take a chance and hope they will be covered when the time is right. Not cool.

aesthyrian,

Willeh

The soft heater insulation of the extreme Q makes the same smell as when you run the solo up hot. I replaced my extremes heater cover, and the insulation with it, a few times and it always made a smell when you first started to run it, and if you actually stick your nose up to the stick of an extreme you'll smell it too. My guess is they use this insulation beneath where you see to keep the heat off the battery/electronics to prevent actual harmful offgassing. I do not believe it is any sort of harmful offgassing, it's simply the taste the heat resistant material seems to 'give off'. I personally trust in arizer's research behind their insulation material and don't actually taste the taste in a hit of vapor, on either the extreme or the solo. It's a very minute smell. Who knows?

Willeh,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
charliedontsurf said:
If you bought from an authorized dealer, Arizer should take care of you. I hear they're very good to the select, minority group of people who bought from their golden distributors, an issue I've bitched about in previous pages. I still may contact Arizer if VFW.net is truly silent on honoring their products, and we'll see if a 30 dollar discount over an authorized dealer is a big enough reason to tell me to go F*** myself.

You're a regular here. You might have missed the post explaining Arizer's warranty policy (see post #46 in this thread) but I really don't think so. I think you gambled on saving a few bucks knowing that Arizer is a good company with an excellent reputation for quality, and now you're afraid you lost.

If I were you and I were hoping to get Arizer to help me out, the last thing I'd do is write a post with such a sarcastic tone. If I were Arizer, after that post I'd happily tell you to go fuck yourself.

charliedontsurf said:
Long, shitty day, sorry for the tone.

...wouldn't get you off my hook.

Also:

WatTyler said:
Are they just in cahoots with Rockwise on this to get lots of early, overpriced sales there ? I'm never going to be a Rockwise customer becuase they charge their customers excessive and exploitative prices...

Oh really? Justification, please. Rockwise is a reliable well-respected vendor with lots of happy customers. He offers FC members a discount and as an authorized dealer, complies with Arizer's pricing policy. How is that "excessive and exploitative"? It's your choice not to buy from Rockwise, or for that matter from Arizer if you think they overprice their products, but if you make an accusation like that in a public forum then you should back it up with some substance. Let's see it.

Edited to fix a typo...

pakalolo,

dorkus_molorkus

where & how does post 46# explain the policy exactly?

''Arizer is individually serializing every unit, tracking distribution, and clamping down on the minimum advertised pricing so all retailers will service their customers properly. Don't expect to see cheap one's on eBay anytime soon... or at all...''

surely this isnt a crystal clear gem of info?

He didnt buy it off ebay, he paid MAP, but the site was having a storewide discount on ALL of their products.

How is that supposed to be indicative of whether or not they are an authorised retailer, and therefore providing proper warranty support?

Where is the list of authorised dealers? all we have to go off as far as auth retailers is rockwise. So, if you buy your solo from anyone else other than rockwise are you covered with full warranty, regardless whether you pay MAP? How can you, me, anyone find this out?

coming on here saying ''I told you so'', helps or contributes how exactly?

CDS, best of luck. hopefully it will be resolved in a postive & timely fashion.

dorkus_molorkus,
Top Bottom