Arizer Solo

X24

Larger than normal, to hold a larger '1-hitter' that fits in the Solo, looks to me.

Going to attribute that one to a stressful week. :S And no vaping to relieve said stress...

Did the Solo dugout run a similar price to Ed's regular dugouts? Looks pretty handy for traveling.

X24,

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
Well, I knew something was up, aside from stock being sold out, when all of the solo's even the ones way at the end of the search page were gone. Now it's just cases, stems and plugs. I went ahead and re-ordered another M107 from the site I linked a few posts back. Hoping for the best. I want to be able to run a Solo for years to come, so it will be nice to have back up!

Thanks for the info.
The M107 works like a champ!

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
Very cool indeed... However, it doesn't show on the website to order... ? ? Or is it listed not under Solo?

I have the wooden mouth piece and it ruins the taste.
The glass mouth piece on the SOLO delivers the best flavor.
The glass is less durable however the benefits are worth it.

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
Yeah that is a solo dugout and only made a few of them. I am having a hard time finding a spring to work. Seems this size is tough to find with the right spring rate. They are not available on my site. Have a couple spoken for and only a couple left after that. I may make more in the future. If anyones interested do let me know.

Thanks for posting pics Stu!

Ed's TnT,
Reactions: al bundy

happyTrails

phishpanicjam
I have the wooden mouth piece and it ruins the taste.
The glass mouth piece on the SOLO delivers the best flavor.
The glass is less durable however the benefits are worth it.

I have heard that it may change the taste, but ruin is kind of a strong opinion and certainly not the case for all users as some users prefer it. I like the idea of glass at home and wood on the go. I think that glass will taste cleaner, but in certain situations, they can limit portability. With a battery cap on a packed stem you can throw the Solo in one pocket, the stem in another pocket and not have to worry about breakage or a bulky case.

happyTrails,
Reactions: Ed's TnT

elmomuzz

That just happened...
I've had my m104 for a while and the battery doesn't last as long as it used to. Plus I can't leave well enough alone so I ordered a set of these from dealextreme.

http://dx.com/p/genuine-panasonic-18650-3100mah-rechargeable-battery-grey-pair-121452

New batteries next to the old pack.
battery1.jpg

The stock pack contains a thermal protection device. I skipped adding this to my pack as I've never had a problem with the solo overheating and it would have been a pain. lol
battery2.jpg

I used a 50 watt iron with large chisel tip. Sand the surface first and use flux. Don't use leaded solder. Clean thoroughly with alcohol when done.
battery3.jpg

battery4.jpg

The finished pack.
battery5.jpg

It fit back into the solo better then the original and fired right back up. I anticipate a longer battery life but will have to do some real word testing to be sure. :D

jambandphan03

in flavor country
whoever can come up with those battery packs, for sale, is going to do really well. Nice job elmomuzz

jambandphan03,

X24

I'm glad the battery is so easily replaced. Makes me feel a little safer about my purchase :). Between this, the MFLB and, perhaps I'll end up keeping DBV, I'll be set for life.

X24,

Lukevh

Could the better power of this battery unit be an issue with it lasting? Could it overheat easier?

Lukevh,

m0sh

Singer Song Writer Stoner
I'm glad the battery is so easily replaced. Makes me feel a little safer about my purchase :). Between this, the MFLB and, perhaps I'll end up keeping DBV, I'll be set for life.

I think that Arizer products are easily disassembled which is awesome, it shouldn't be a problem to open or fix...unlike other companies who don't let you touch anything...Arizer is IMO great for that only...not to mention that I think the solo is one of the best vaporizers...the fact that you never need to stir is just amazing...

Anyway, I super glued my broken 18mm-14mm, figured since its not close to the heating element there's no problem gluing it ... but I'm sick of the glass part breaking up on me...I'm going to send this reducer to Ed so there's a wood 18mm-14mm finally!

m0sh,

elmomuzz

That just happened...
Could the better power of this battery unit be an issue with it lasting? Could it overheat easier?

The voltage is the same as the old pack. It just has more capacity. Think of it like a larger fuel tank for your car. It still provides the same gas there is just more of it before you need to refuel.

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
Hey Elomuzz; good to see someone else addressing Arizer's battery policy of "Buy a new one"

I've been working on reliable packs so that owners can breathe some new life into their unit as well. I've been experimenting with cells and found that those panasonic cells are quite good; you've made a good choice. Now, I am assuming that these cells are individually protected (if they aren't; they are not genuine Panasonic). When I was working with individually protected cells in my Solo's I observed some very strange and worrying behaviour.

Basically, when the cells are individually protected; one usually ends up reaching the cut off voltages before the other one does. So when that happens and the (one) cell shuts off to protect itself, the entirety of the current goes into the other cell and trips the overvolt protection. This quick shot of higher voltage power damages the battery though and it is apparent through further charge/discharge cycles that the capacity has changed. I've started working with protection PCB's to make sure that the batteries last as long as possible and I haven't settled on one yet.

As well, I worry about the safety of removing the temperature regulator. It may seem like something which you never used but it's there for a reason for sure. It's up to you but I would do some torture tests to make sure it dosen't blow up with a glass tube in your mouth.

elmomuzz

That just happened...
They are genuine unprotected panasonic cells. The same that are used in quality laptop battery packs. I've run a discharge test and their stated capacity is accurate.

The thermal protection is in place for charging protection and not discharge. The danger is if the cells become unbalanced where one achieves a level of charge greater then the other. This can lead to overcharging of that cell. Using quality cells that are prebalanced mitigates this danger. The thermal protector in the stock pack may or my not actually prevent an incident. It's no guarantee. I never like to charge lithium batteries unattended and recommend you don't either. Regardless I am considering the thermal protection but I want to keep these things inexpensive and again that little circuit won't save you from a serious battery malfunction.

Edit: I've sourced the necessary part and will add thermal protection.

Unfortunately all of this stuff comes direct from China so it will be a few weeks before I have parts/batteries in hand.

Data sheet on the cell I am using.
http://industrial.panasonic.com/www-cgi/jvcr13pz.cgi?E+BA+3+ACA4001+NCR18650A+7+WW

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
Elomuzz, I do not want to seem like I am disagreeing for disagreements sake but I honestly do not believe that you have genuine NCR18650A cells if you purchased them unprotected. I am quoting this directly from the NCR18650A data sheet you referenced:

"To ensure safety, the referenced Li-ion cell is not sold as a bare cell.
Li-ion cells must be integrated with the appropriate safety circuitry via an
authorized Panasonic Li-ion pack assembler. "

I have been in contact with both Panasonic and AW (an authorized panasonic assembler well known for high quality packs) to try to get ahold of certified genuine NCR18650A's without the protection PCB on it. I have been completely unsuccessful. Panasonic flat out refuses to even consider selling them unprotected and AW refuses to for fear of loosing his licence. DealExtreme claims they are genuine but does not provide any proof or even link a datasheet for them, and they have been known for such activity in the past.

As well I have to take disagreement with your statement of "that little circuit won't save you from a serious battery malfunction" because that is exactly what they do. Those two pieces of circuitry effectively eliminate all issues that could be brought up by a malfunctioning or improperly charged cells. I recommend you do not use that pack in your solo until you add protection circuitry to it because you truly are running with scissors in both hands until you do.

I know that it is tempting to forgo protections in the pursuit of savings but you have to understand that we are using these packs in an extremely high drain, high temperature application and it simply is irresponsible to use cells without protection in any device that does not have a protection circuit integrated into the electronics of the device itself.

CentiZen,

elmomuzz

That just happened...
A discharge test indicates it has the rated capacity. That goes a long way towards authenticating them. My research indicates Panasonic only sells unprotected cells to licensed pack assemblers who would then add the protection. Don't ask me how dealextreme has them but a lot of shady stuff goes on in China.

I am adding thermal protection to the packs. It costs about $1 so is worth it.

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I'm glad both of you guys are on this quest for replacement packs. Thanks for working together about it too. Nice to see people being helpful towards each other, even when heading towards the same interest of making packs to sell later. I have been in contact with both of you, about a pack, and guess what< I am about to have 2 solo's again, so maybe I can support you both when the time is right to get one. Thanks for all the work, research, and for sharing this with us!

jambandphan03,

Zipsort

Sup fellas, long time vape bonger but recently moved to a place where I cant freely chief inside. So my buddy was always talking up his solo (never did try it) but I decided to order one last night.

Got the black M-108.. Should be here monday/tuesday

Anyways, can someone point me to some info on getting the most out of this guy? I have read the first few and last few pages of this thread, I noticed the wood tips and stuff.

Any must have accessories?

Also, what is THE best option for using it with a GonG tube? Thats a must for me.

Zipsort,

tepictoton

best option I guess is to check out the solo page on Vaporpedia.

What you need is a GonG stem from planet-vape;)

I only use my solo with a water pipe, otherwise after a few bowls i start coughing from a dry troath.

I use one very fine screen in the top of the stem (both regular and GonG) to keep small pieces from comming up into the tube. That way you can harvest some nice gold from the inside of the stem in a little while:science:

the thread is huge, but I think worth the read. Lots of nice goodies hidden and some good tips tht might work for ou, yet they might not...

tepictoton,

Zipsort

best option I guess is to check out the solo page on Vaporpedia.

What you need is a GonG stem from planet-vape;)

Will do. And yes.. that sounds like something I need :)

Also thinking about getting a nice carrying case, but I think its stealth enough to throw it in my toolbag and it will blend in with all my tools.

Zipsort,

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
They are a godsend to those who want to pair their solo with some glass. I was using the good old rubber grommet method with a straight stem before but they were always imperfect solutions. PlanetVape's accessories take the solo to a whole new level and I can't wait until they drop the f-bomb on me.

And you won't have any issues with people identifying it for what it is, especially in a toolbox. Once, only once have I been asked what my device is while I was not puffing on it, and I simply replied that it was a portable high capacity battery pack and no more was said about it.

CentiZen,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I have used the Thermovape glass adapter, I also found this works pretty good, for a straight stem, I would just be concerned about all stems fitting it, since they all seem to be slightly different in sizing. So far it has fit in all the stems I have.

**Also looks like I'm getting that $136 m107 today!! So super fast shipping! I'll tester out ASAP and report back how it goes.

MgTkx.jpg

FDTxy.jpg

jambandphan03,

Zipsort

I have used the Thermovape glass adapter, I also found this works pretty good, for a straight stem, I would just be concerned about all stems fitting it, since they all seem to be slightly different in sizing. So far it has fit in all the stems I have.

**Also looks like I'm getting that $136 m107 today!! So super fast shipping! I'll tester out ASAP and report back how it goes.

MgTkx.jpg

FDTxy.jpg

Damn, I just paid $155 for mine.. but from authorized dealer and 2 day shipping. Not too worried about it.

So what is that? The regular straight stem with some sort of rubber grommet? Where did you get that?

I have the thermovape revo but never used it with a tube, I actually never use it at all anymore.

Zipsort,
Reactions: GSDlife
Top Bottom