Arizer Solo

Zangano Cruel

IG zan.cru (code) zancru (5% NV checkout discount)
I have rethought my position on the Solo.
A local head shop owner tried this and did not like it, so he sold it to me for $50.
I decided to give the Solo a second chance.
While previously I did not like it in the least.. I have developed a liking for it... just not as a patient/handicapped person friendly portable.
I discovered that I love it as a small home vape, for a short session by the TV.
What has made it tolerable is two discoveries (*note.. one main reason I did not like the solo, is because I hate "workarounds").
I still dislike this as a portable, but here is what has made it seem better for me.
Below, you can see that I added a screen. I find that now, no matter how fine the herb, it does not get past those two holes... and also the added restriction, gives me thicker hits, with darker resultant ABV
DSC01460.jpg

I also then used the stopper for the heat port to stabilize the stem to reduce the wobble a bit, and provide some feeling of security.
DSC01461.jpg

I still do not like that the stem can pull out and drop in your lap if you are not careful...
I also don't like when herb falls into the heat port.... I can suck it out, but there are always more crumbs.
BUT at least I am having an open mind about the Solo, in that I will likely keep this one!
There are cheap mods available that will give your Solo an extra edge in performance and no loose stems issues, not even fall when upside down. I made myself those mods. Try them and told me.

Zangano Cruel,
Reactions: Vitolo

natural farmer

hey guys! that's my first try to make a vape video. I just wanted to show how you can hold the solo so that loose stems and herb in the SS bowl is a non issue... I am ripping a bowl with the last hints of some white widow and a drop of some reclaimed oil from ISO washes. The taste of the oil is not so great but during dry times it's just fine. It gave a good 15 or more big hits (never ending bowl?) and it was almost finished when I shot the vid but still got some vapor. Cloud was bigger than it shows so I guess next vid will be during daytime with more light coming from the sides... :p

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
So glad I'm not the only slow toker anymore :lol:

A full Solo bowl usually takes me about 1,5 to 2 12 minute sessions.

I've always held my Solo like that too Ili. Except I stick mine in a waterpipe, I only hit it dry on the go(which doesn't happen often). I do put it down in between hits though, and yet I have never had any weed in my chamber ever. I think the people who have this problem must blow in it or something, I can't imagine how it would happen otherwise.

OhTheAgony,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
I usually hold it right-side up, and rest my index finger on the stem. (about where the bend is)
No stems ever fall out, and I haven't burnt my finger doing it...
TBH, I've never understood why everyone finds whether the stems are loose or tight to be such a major issue...
I wouldn't trust a tight stem to hold itself in if I was holding the solo upside down anyways...
(EDIT: That's not to say that users with mobility problems can't have problems with it's general use, but I can't talk from that position.)

A stem usually lasts me somewhere between 8-16 minutes, as oftentimes my lungs need a few minutes break in between hits... (I almost exclusively hit it [and all my vapes] through a water piece, which I find helps to go through a stem a bit quicker, but not massively so)

stickstones

Vapor concierge
vitolo...sorry to hear about your Arizer experience...so not what I have experienced. I second the post about Steve being the guy to get a hold of. I have never dealt with kevin directly, but my understanding is that he is a rep of sorts for the US. Steve has always handled things well, I think. If you are up to it, send an email to arizertech@gmail.com and ask that it get forwarded to Steve. He can be quick or slow in getting back to me, but this is how I try to get things done with Arizer.

I don't think this vape was put through the same thought process you use. Thermovape was designed for medical users specifically, but I think the Solo was not. I thoroughly enjoy my solo, loose stems and all, but I haven't even considered the struggles you and yours go through to use a vape.

tintest

Same here, tight at first but eventually loose.

Anyone listen to the Dopefiend's podcast on the Solo? He said that ONE bowl lasted him 3 full 12 min. cycles? I don't understand that, even simply based just on conduction alone. I know he didn't grind (btw dope, i find you get much better results by grinding well, but not too fine) but even still.

It has to do with the grade of the smoke. when i mix in kief with my smoke and run my unit at level 5, I too get 3 full cycles.

tintest,

Zangano Cruel

IG zan.cru (code) zancru (5% NV checkout discount)
-New M107 runs really well. With all my mods and the battery bypass adapter I finish a bowl in number 4 or 5, depending on the strain or curing.
-I always try to grind medium to fine coarse, kind of fluffy, I love when is so sticky and fluffy, like green sugar candy :)
-I always use a home made water pipe, I find an optimum level of water now, finally... It kind of burbujea very nice, even for a standard non-diff cheap stem, but soon you'll have news...
-I hardly believe in the more amount of glass path the better. Solo is almost there , someday I'll afford VXCloud...
-New Solo, IMO heats faster and runs higher temps, I can't prove it physically in the temp but as the results on my eyes and the remains of vaping I can tell... or maybe I'm too vaped :)
-So far very happy for my 106&7, and when the new mods in the mail arrive, party will finally start :)

Zangano Cruel,

Vitolo

Vaporist
I will share the customer service adventure with the public now.
Kevin and I are now in communication over this.
I am not asking for a replacement.
I am not complaining about the black flakes.
I wish to get a better tube.
Here is how the conversations have progressed;
Hello Vito,
Thank you for your email. Regarding the Solo glass mouthpieces, looser is better than tighter and the reason is airflow. There's an objective behind the dish design and the mouthpieces; easy to draw on, smooth, not too hot vapor. The glass pieces will all fit differently into each Solo unit’s hole as the glass is hand-made. The difference in fit is very slight - some a little looser and some a slight tighter - you cannot see it with your eyes only in the fit into the unit - as they are hand-made.
There is nothing wrong with them if the glass fits loose or tight, loose fit is preferred for airflow for sure, for example if you turn it upside down the mouthpiece should fall right out.

Kevin's dismissive attitude has brought more interest from the Vaporist community.
Check http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/arizer-solo.3833/page-252#post-219084 and the post surrounding it on that page.
This afternoon I bring this matter before 11 other MMJ forums, that I am moderator or Administrator for.

Hello Vitolo,
Thank you for your emails. Your multiple emails and threats are unnecessary, as I will gladly assist you with troubleshooting any issues you have. My response to your first email was not dismissive, and I do understand that you are unhappy with your Solo Mouthpiece wobbling. The fact is, all glass for our products is hand made and will vary in size slightly -- it is simply not possible for us to guarantee that all Solo Aroma Tubes will fit perfectly snug or a bit loose. To be completely honest, I have personally been using the Solo units since before they were released to the market, and with every Solo I have used, I have found the experience to be much more enjoyable with looser fitting Aroma Tubes. I know that people have different needs as well as different personal preferences, and as you have now explained to me that you have a disability, I understand your need for more snug Aroma Tubes.

I did not intend for you to perceive my emails as threatening.. and the reason for multiple emails, was because various witnesses, MMJ Patients and vaporizer users, had given me new input to send back to you.

I had two tubes, but only have one now. It is the looser of the two I had, but ironically it was the other one that my wife dropped and broke.
It stuck to her lips as she finished inhaling vapor, and as she lowered the unit away from her mouth, the stem then fell to the ground and broke.
To avoid this we use two hands when removing the Solo from the mouth, which is not always convenient for a man with limited dexterity.
a more snug tube would be a blessing.

Hello Vitolo,

Thank you for your email. Please provide me with the following information:
  • your full name and shipping address
  • the model number on the bottom of your unit
  • a copy of your sales receipt
Once I receive this information I can process your claim and advise you further.
Kevin...
I understand your desire to help, but company policy demands that you make an old disabled guy "jump through hoops" to help with a flawed tube that has come with this product. As I already told you, I bought this unit from the owner of a head shop who after using it for a week decided that the unit was no good due to the loose stems yes stems.. there were two, but one fell out of the unit and broke.
Here are the hoops:

Vitolo XXXXXXX
PO Box XXXXX
Tucson, AZ 857XX
The model is M104-84496

Image of Receipt Removed for privacy
Now we will see if I am ignored because I paid less for this unit, or if they will offer some type of solution.
So far tintest has offered a solution that sounds good... and ALL of you have been of more support than Arizer. Fact is I get the feeling the only reason Kevin is even talking to me is because I have a big mouth, and am making this public!
All good.
I bought a Solo I will keep, and am going to try to get some customer support!

Last edited:

turk

turk
...good luck vito, hope it works out...please keep us informed....have not experienced this problem with a 106...

turk,

natural farmer

What I understand with my limited knowledge is that arizer for some reason don't want any relation with MJ. They might have troubles with law or something and it's a pity. They must be the only vape company from what I 've seen, that uses the terms heater and diffuser for their products instead of vaporizer... I don't care really as the product I am using works fine by my standards but this might be one of the reasons their communication with the MJ community is non-existent.

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
Vito, I don't know if this will be viable for yourself/your wife, but I place my index finger on the stem as I hold the unit upright in my hand.
That is more than enough to keep it from sticking to my lips when hitting it natively, and let's me easily hold the stem in if I'm holding it upside down.
I've always had pretty good dexterity in my hands though.

I'm sad to hear that The solo hasn't been working out for you.
Tbh I'm confused by arizers whole treatment of the solo, but it's still one of my top choices for a portable vape.
(to each his own and all that :lol:)

Frederick McGuire,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
I am mostly using mine connected to a water pipe. I hold it the way poeple are describing but it gets quite hot. Does it get that hot if you are doing a direct draw from the tube itself?

Slightly Medicated,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
I've never felt that the glass was uncomfortably hot except for the few times I accidentally touched the glass that's been in the heater as I'm emptying a spent stem...

Frederick McGuire,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
I think I just have a really good seal on my water pipe and if I draw long and hard it can heat up the pipe. It gets quite warm all the way down to the bend. I am getting pretty thick long milks from them. I am also using 5-6-7 mostly.

steiner666

Serial vapist

Fact is I get the feeling the only reason Kevin is even talking to me is because I have a big mouth, and am making this public!
All good.
I bought a Solo I will keep, and am going to try to get some customer support!

Unfortunately, its the same way with so many manufacturers, and not just vapes. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

TBH tho i kinda understand what Kevin's saying. IIRC, the the glass isn't covered under warranty and never in the instructions or description is it said that it should fit in the unit tightly, so technically I don't think they're obligated to help with this particular issue. Besides, stems fit loose in most zaps and other log vapes too IME (hot or cold).. I can understand why a tight fighting stem would be desirable, but I also understand that it's not a flaw for it not to be. I had that very same thing happen to me that happened to your wife tho, back when i first got my solo, except i managed to catch the stem before it fell out of my mouth.

Frederick is right, if you can just put a little pressure on one side of the stem with a finger as you finish your hit it will help ensure that it stays in there. This works even inverted, i do it all the time with my gong stem:
2012-04-29%2019.27.29.jpg

tho i have large hands that have played guitar for many years lol, I can understand how its not as easy for someone with arthritis or other physical conditions to do this. Maybe that o-ring thing would be the best bet for your case..

Another note on the gong stem, for anyone who hasnt bought one yet, even tho the stem is much shorter than a standard stem, the actual honey-like buildup doesnt seem to ever get past the end of the narrow part, right before the GG itself. I was concerned that maybe the airpath before the GG connection wouldnt be long enough so it might get gumme dup with honey or something. This is how mine looks after a month or two without cleaning:
2012-04-26%2018.44.25.jpg

multiple layers of honey-drips in the middle but nothin has really made it past that, and my downstem is clean. Bout to soak this so i can herbscreen some good tomorrow (which is whhere the black stuff around the tip of the bowl came from)

and about the stems getting hot: the glass close to the "screen" part does get very hot, if you use the finger trick to keep the stem in there you gotta be careful not to put it too close the bowl end of the stem. You can see in that pic of the gong stem where the temp drops enough that the vapor starts to condense, thats also roughly where it gets cool enough to touch

u bwade wunner

happy to see things are moving in the right direction for you Vito.I wish for you the recent solo issues will soon be a distant memory.Pls keep us informed.11 forums eh!!.I have seen you out there but never realised. Kudos to you:).the road is a long one.if you get time and are interested,Have a look at the australian situation atm .Theres a new major report for ending prohibition.http://www.australia21.org.au//publ...es/Australia21_Illicit_Drug_Policy_Report.pdf

Steiner I am one of those peeps that have been waiting to purchase the gong stem.I m waiting to get it delivered with the Fbomb when its released.Just seemed the right thing to do for me:)

just so I have some kind of idea.would you recommend the the gong stem with/without the carb hole?.
For anyone that owns the gong with the carb,does the carb hole function well?

Re the Fbomb if your e interested.I had an update from planetvape a week or so ago.Punctual & on the ball with their response they said that all focus at that time was going into releasing the new aroma turbo style tubes for the Solo.Its nice to see a retailer putting so much effort into releasing nice additions for the Solo.I ve been waiting for this one and can only imagine what it will look like.i hope its portable and like the aquavape can be stored on its side holding water..I always wonder why the aqua vape wasn t released as a gong with a short detachable mouthpiece wand on the other end:cool:.Its maybe not designed for hydratube style use but I m sure it would work sweet

steiner666

Serial vapist
I only have a non-carbed one. I like using it because i've become accustomed to using a "pull" method of carbing over the years, been a while since i covered a hole with my thumb lol. But i could see if being easier to use possibly, at least for some ppl. Some of my friends seem to have more of a problem with pulling the solo+stem out at the end of their hits, uncovering a carb would be much easier for them i'd imagine.

I imagine it works well enough, just not as drastic of an airflow difference when you clear the tube vs the other style, in the end..

..hell now i think i'm going to order a carbed one too, been meaning to get a second one just for backup anyway.

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
I had to buy the carb version because they were out of the non-carb version on their site. I would have preferred the non-carb myself. I guess I can just have a friend fill in the hole with some scrap clear glass he has laying around. I will probably order a non-carbbed version once they get more in.

u bwade wunner

thanks guys.I think, like sm says you can fill in the holes yourself if you have a decent enough turbo torch.This is what i ve been using from my everyday toolbox to heat my gnome and make/repair solo/Hi stems.
pic4783549324800.jpg

its something I use a lot in work too so its paid for itself already.

its a beast.you should be able to get cheaper branded torches that will work with mapp gas. Mapp Gas is key to achieve welding heat.Its awesome with my gnome or to reclaim from solo tube too.whole new ballgame:)it will melt my glass too if left on there too long. thats the learning curve.:spidey:

Top Bottom