Arizer Solo

steven22

pretty set on a solo, just a matter of finding the best price... Arizer seems to do a good job with warranty directly. So I dont think i it is necessary to buy from an authorized seller. right?

If anything happens, I dont mind waiting for replacements, I have other vapes for backup

---

And the next thing is deciding on ceramic or SS. and If it is ceramic, then snatching one up before it sells out.

sounds like the ceramic performs better as far as heat goes, I like the idea of having the device not be set at max (7) for normal operation . With the ceramic, normal operation is 5-6 which gives you that extra if you ever wanted it.

should I even care about this point?... is it something that will never be a regret if I buy the newer SS?

this was the case with the Extreme v3 vs Q had both and liked the v3 better even though it was louder.

are there any differences between the colors?...

steven22,
No worries Papa Woody, I can't take any real credit, I wasn't the first to think of baking the tops.

Don't be all that paranoid about new posters positive reviews guys. The Solo is being sold aggressively in alot of headshops, and that's not all that bad a thing since they often discount it quite a bit and it's a very forgiving vaporizer, with almost no learning curve and big clouds for a portable. I probably would have given a pretty gushing review if it were my first vape, even if I thought the taste was a bit off.

I really haven't noticed the ceramic running hotter than the SS. I don't find that heat retention is ever an issue in a personal session. The heat should go higher in both models for concentrates. And yes, it's obviously a bit absurd to have to throw vaporizer components into ovens and washing machines and alcohol baths just to get the manufacturing stench off them - but it's what we deal with in a few given models, and you can't deny it's a pain that shouldn't occur in the first place.

charliedontsurf,

MadWhack

Hey guys I just ordered a SS solo with case from an eBay seller. Price was right and it comes with the new straight tip as well. Anyone know if all straight tips are 4 holes or is it possible I'll get a straight tip with 2 holes?

This is probably a step up from my only previous vape (MFLB). Pretty psyched despite all of the reported issues.

Cheers

MadWhack,

Papa Woody

"The vapor is strong with this one"-Obi Onda Woody
Thanks CDS, I know I've read many posts on cap baking many pages ago but yours was the right post at the right time when I'm thinking of sending both units back because of the odor. Now I've got a Solo I can use that doesn't stink and I'm happy with that. When I removed the cap and sniffed the inside of the cap, I smelled the same odor that was pretty obvious when I fired it up and ran it through 20 full blast burn-offs with no improvement. After baking the cap with the plastic plug removed, I could not detect the smell in the cap or when I fired it up and puffed off it. It is pathetic to require a "Take N Bake Vape" approach to clear the smell. That's why I also said that Arizer needs to make a version with no paint and no plastic in the airpath. Seems simple but thats my simple mind wishing for simple things.

Papa Woody,

MG23

Relaxin'
charliedontsurf said:
I really haven't noticed the ceramic running hotter than the SS. I don't find that heat retention is ever an issue in a personal session.

You can't tell the 5c difference in between the settings of the SS and the ceramic? Seems like the vaping difference between 356-365f at setting 2 would be a big enough temperature difference to notice in flavor alone.

Also, subjective judgments of hit thickness aside, it seems like the biggest "issue" of heat retention is the battery life. Ceramic Solos are giving around an hour longer battery life than SS Solos, and I assume its due to better heat retention.

MG23,

vape4life

Banned for life
+1 Matty

The temp differences between the 2 are quite evident, and yes I just realized that my ceramic has much better battery life too! The SS heats up faster, but the ceramic is where it's at.

Sooooooooo, for those of you that have the ceramic and have put MANY miles on it (daily driver) and have NO flaking issues, smell, etc. consider yourselves VERY fucking lucky!

It really is funny how WE the members here are finding all these issues that Arizer probably didn't even know about. ARIZER SHOULD BE GIVING FC MEMBERS DISCOUNTS for being their free beta testers and going through all this BS. But then again, i'm pretty fucking happy with a free solo replacement, although that did not happen with my first warranty exchange, but that was because I think I was the first ever person to warranty a Solo.

Just wondering how long before v.3 comes out? lol

MattyGTwenty3 said:
charliedontsurf said:
I really haven't noticed the ceramic running hotter than the SS. I don't find that heat retention is ever an issue in a personal session.

You can't tell the 5c difference in between the settings of the SS and the ceramic? Seems like the vaping difference between 356-365f at setting 2 would be a big enough temperature difference to notice in flavor alone.

Also, subjective judgments of hit thickness aside, it seems like the biggest "issue" of heat retention is the battery life. Ceramic Solos are giving around an hour longer battery life than SS Solos, and I assume its due to better heat retention.

vape4life,

vape4life

Banned for life
More than likely will be 4 holes, although earlier reports said a 3 hole existed. I doubt it will be 2 hole, but if it is, I WANT ONE! lol The airflow is a bit better with more holes, but vapor density/quality is reduced.

MadWhack said:
Hey guys I just ordered a SS solo with case from an eBay seller. Price was right and it comes with the new straight tip as well. Anyone know if all straight tips are 4 holes or is it possible I'll get a straight tip with 2 holes?

This is probably a step up from my only previous vape (MFLB). Pretty psyched despite all of the reported issues.

Cheers

vape4life,

vape4life

Banned for life
Authorized, not authorized, who fucking knows. Pretty sure as long as you have a RECEIPT, Arizer will not leave you in the dark.

Yes, the ceramic is hotter and you probably will find you will not go past 4-5 for herbs. If I was to buy again, it would be ceramic flaking or not. Actually, my flaking has NOT got any worse after it started.

Can I ask why you liked the Extreme v.3 better than the E-Q. It wasn't just the fan noise that changed, there were lotsa updates and I don't know how it could be worse than v.3? What were the issues?

steven22 said:
pretty set on a solo, just a matter of finding the best price... Arizer seems to do a good job with warranty directly. So I dont think i it is necessary to buy from an authorized seller. right?

If anything happens, I dont mind waiting for replacements, I have other vapes for backup

---

And the next thing is deciding on ceramic or SS. and If it is ceramic, then snatching one up before it sells out.

sounds like the ceramic performs better as far as heat goes, I like the idea of having the device not be set at max (7) for normal operation . With the ceramic, normal operation is 5-6 which gives you that extra if you ever wanted it.

should I even care about this point?... is it something that will never be a regret if I buy the newer SS?

this was the case with the Extreme v3 vs Q had both and liked the v3 better even though it was louder.

vape4life,

MG23

Relaxin'
vape4life said:
The SS heats up faster

Judging by the video on the last page of a ceramic and SS heating up at full charge side by side, I'd have to say the SS only seems to heat up faster because of each temp setting being 5c lower than it's ceramic counterpart. It seems more likely that they heat up (hit the same temperatures, not settings) at nearly the exact same pace.

MG23,

steven22

I think i have made up my mind on ceramic or SS. what about the stems, straight vs bent, 3 hole 4 hole etc... are they really that different?..

About the v3 vs extreme, nothing in particular, my v3 ran at a lower displayed temp than Q. 185C-v3 = about 200C- Q. the v3 is old, 2 + years daily used, never broke. felt more reliable. I had a more solid feel by the heater when putting and removing the cyclone. the Q i had more recently, used it for a little, then decided to sell it to a friend.

another friend who replaced a stolen v3 with a Q had his heater cover break on him multiple times, fan failed once. things that never happened on his v3 in the 2 years he owned it.

its nothing conclusive at all.... all in my head.

vape4life said:
Authorized, not authorized, who fucking knows. Pretty sure as long as you have a RECEIPT, Arizer will not leave you in the dark.

Yes, the ceramic is hotter and you probably will find you will not go past 4-5 for herbs. If I was to buy again, it would be ceramic flaking or not. Actually, my flaking has NOT got any worse after it started.

Can I ask why you liked the Extreme v.3 better than the E-Q. It wasn't just the fan noise that changed, there were lotsa updates and I don't know how it could be worse than v.3? What were the issues?

steven22 said:

---

steven22,

guitarscreamngrowler

so should i buy the solo or not cause i was gonna buy one next saturday at a headshop. should i get the ceramic one an hope doesnt flake or smell an if it does just use warranty an get a ss one?

guitarscreamngrowler,
guitarscreamngrowler said:
so should i buy the solo or not cause i was gonna buy one next saturday at a headshop. should i get the ceramic one an hope doesnt flake or smell an if it does just use warranty an get a ss one?
yes get the ceramic one. Then just hope it doesn't smell lol. Because if it flakes you can contact Arizer and they will take care of you 100%.

VapeNStone,

guitarscreamngrowler

VapeNStone said:
guitarscreamngrowler said:
yes get the ceramic one. Then just hope it doesn't smell lol. Because if it flakes you can contact Arizer and they will take care of you 100%.

what do u do if it smells, if they have the ss isnt it almost as good as ceramic i know ceramic is better at retaining heat.

guitarscreamngrowler,

PlanetHaze

Don't Vaporize The Planet !, Vaporize Yourself
Retailer
vape4life said:
More than likely will be 4 holes, although earlier reports said a 3 hole existed. I doubt it will be 2 hole, but if it is, I WANT ONE! lol The airflow is a bit better with more holes, but vapor density/quality is reduced.

MadWhack said:
Cheers

Hi MadWhack and vape4life
According to Arizer, the only aroma tubes now being produced are either bent 4 holes or straight 4 holes. The straight tubes were never produced with 2 holes, only 4 as they are a recent addition, but you can still find bent 2 hole stems around, at least until they all sell out.
P.V.

PlanetHaze,

vaplexus

Wow a lot of haters on here. I'm not a noob and will vouch for the Solo. Yes there was some odor with the first one I got but it pretty much went away after some use. I never expected raiser to burn-in their products and so using it to get rid of the smell was fine with me. I am not an organic chemist but I do have some cursory knowledge and I personally am 100% comfortable with the smell and not in any fear that it's going to cause a health issue. Frankly I think there is more unhealthy crap in vape than in the odor off the solo. Vape is better for you than combusted but it's still got health implications let alone the long term effects of cannabinoids.

Teflon (PTFE) melts at 327C and sublimates to some degree at around 250C. However the insulation is no where near the heating element or crucible and the temp that the PTFE experiences will be well below this. I am sure many of you use non-stick kitchenware; they use PTFE on those and your food will be in direct contact with it well above what is going on in the solo.

Don't fear what you don't understand. Endevour to educate yourself.

I am sure the batteries in both units (SS and ceramic) are the same. Battery life is going to vary from cell to cell so it's not going to be dead on. Also every recharge slightly decreases the capacity of the cells so a new unit is going to have more charge than a used one.

I am really liking the solo a lot! I have both units and they are slightly different in terms of vape quality. For me the jury is still out on if one is better than the other. Same goes for 2 hole vs 4 hole. I will keep using both and eventually figure it out.

vaplexus,
Reactions: Kief

MG23

Relaxin'
If the battery comment was in regards to what I posted, just to be clear I don't think the batteries in the ceramic and SS units are any different. That being said the average battery life between the two is very different, likely due to the SS needing to produce more heat more often to keep temperature up due to less overall heat retention.

MG23,

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
Both answers appear to have warrant.....

-Each cell WILL vary slightly. It a fault by design, as any two things created vary in performance unless your buying scientific grades which you'd pay out the wazoo for just to have definitive accuracy.

-It makes intellectual sense that without the retention of heat within the element with the ceramic coating of the bowl, it should/would require more frequent re-heating which obviously would deplete the battery at a faster pace.

smokum,

Adobewan

I've been through the posts a number of times, could someone point me to the list of authorized Solo dealers?
Is there a way to narrow searches to threads?
Thanks.

Adobewan,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
There is no list, you have to e-mail Arizer and ask them specifically. They usually respond within 24 hours.

As for narrowing searches to threads, I use a firefox add-on called re-pagination that will load all 100+ pages of this thread into one page so you can just Ctrl+F and search through the thread that way.

aesthyrian,

vaplexus

Ok peeps, here you go. Temp plot comparison of SS and ceramic. looks like the SS runs 20C cooler.

If you are trying to hit that sweet spot of around 178C/350F looks like you want a setting of 5 on the ceramic which is not quite 6 on the SS. in fact looks like you can't get a ceramic-setting 5 on the SS! you might recall a previous post of mine where i show a setting of 5 on the ceramic gives you a herb temp of 178C/360F which is a good tape temp. its not available with the SS!

I have a realtime video of this plot which I will post you youtube once I have it edited. its 40 mins long so I want to post it sped up so it easier to watch.

Red: ceramic, Green: stainless, Brown: difference

Solo-SS-Cer-comparision.jpg

vaplexus,
Reactions: Kief

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
wow, 10% - that's a huge difference.

Thanks for posting this Vaplexus. I wish I could send you my Solos to add to the comparison to see if there's an outlier here.

WatTyler,

vaplexus

WatTyler said:
wow, 10% - that's a huge difference.

Thanks for posting this Vaplexus. I wish I could send you my Solos to add to the comparison to see if there's an outlier here.

Keep in mind Arizer has told us that they have increased the temp on the SS version. I think I recall reading 5 or 10 degrees but not sure if is C or F. either way, at least with my units its clearly a difference of 20C.

that's fine... its just good to know. I am going to make an educated guess and say that likely across units the temp characteristics are going to be the same. the reason i say that is the temp control is likely digital so the only variance would be in the quality of the thermistor/couple used. those are usually pretty close by like +-5% and +-10% at worse, across units.

vaplexus,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
Yeah, it's fine by me too, happy with performance. But either way, the vaping temp range is sooooo different to what we've been told... 185 - 210 C

WatTyler,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
vaplexus said:
Keep in mind Arizer has told us that they have increased the temp on the SS version. I think I recall reading 5 or 10 degrees but not sure if is C or F. either way, at least with my units its clearly a difference of 20C.

Actually, according to the respond that GoGlass posted from Kevin at Arizer, they made the SS model 5 degree's Celsius cooler, not hotter.

Which is why I find your findings to be so interesting, I wonder what makes the SS perform warmer in your test even though it is programmed cooler?

aesthyrian,

vaplexus

aesthyrian said:
vaplexus said:

Actually, according to the respond that GoGlass posted from Kevin at Arizer, they made the SS model 5 degree's Celsius cooler, not hotter.

Which is why I find your findings to be so interesting, I wonder what makes the SS perform warmer in your test even though it is programmed cooler?

well then that makes no sense. - ok i double checked and i screwed it up!! the red and green are reversed. the SS is running 20C LESS than the ceramic. i will will revise the chart and post.

crap. dont do vape and scientific experiments at the same time!

vaplexus,
Top Bottom