Arizer Solo

pain101

i notice the talk of the headaches.

cannabis has things in it which will effect blood pressure.
this is the reason i got my arizer solo, my putting 2 grams a day through my bong was giving me constant daily headaches and i could feel them coming on with every hit. i have high blood pressure and migraines, so i simply MUST smoke indica only. if i smoke a high sativa my headache gets quite intense.

i have found that the 'milkshake' draw is helping to give me a headache because of the way it forces you to suck and the lack of oxygen combined with the effort i find i can feel my heart beat in my ears gaining more pressure as i continue to haul back.

i have found that if i keep it on 7, i will for sure get the heartbeat in my ears effect pretty quickly, which precedes a headache usually, due to the way migraines and blood pressure mess with each other in the brain. i find it best to keep it at 4. right now i have about a quarter of browned nugs in a jar which i will throw into some food soon(CHILLI!!!!!) to see how well it works, from what i have read of other migraine sufferers eating the bud will not produce the headaches due to the way the liver metabolizes a large percentage of the active ingredients before they enter the system. i also will be trying the cotton ball with some oil in it soonish to see how the draw is on that.

gotta say, LOVE my solo. first vaporizer i have ever bought and i had to write up a complicated money plan with my medication money so as to not run out of meds in order to buy it, but its paying for itself in three weeks as predicted, so i am very impressed.

broke my elbow tube within 3 or 4 days though, that really sucked. i dont like how it just sits in there with no friction to hold it in place, so if someone is stoned and puts it down without takin the tube out first, then forgets, picks it up, and away goes the tube to the floor for smashy smashy..... booo urns i say!!! lol, at least i got the straight one, and the elbow tube broke in such a way that i am going to get my dremel out to smooth it down and see if i cant fashion a bong attachement piece for it, as i think having a bong/water pressure do the sucking for you might be nicer....
oh my, i'm going on and on here arent i.

EDIT.... furthermore i am looking into a DIY ATX power supply hack which should yield the exact specifications needed to plug the solo in without any danger to user or device. its all a simple matter of mathematics and having a good multimeter on hand.

(basic outline here http://www.instructables.com/id/ATX-->-Lab-Bench-Power-Supply-Conversion/ to get 9 volts at 5000ma is just a matter of figuring out the math )

pain101,
OhTheAgony said:
Yay, I just got it 3 times in a row, thanks Cragus! I think I was pushing it to soon before.
yea I sometimes do that too. If that happens I just say oops and hold it down again.

VapeNStone,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
:lol: i think it's bho? I've got no idea why it would be called errl, but i think it is.

Someone here has posted about using it with the Solo with fair results- somewhere back in the thread. I dunno who. I haven't tried yet- never seem to have enough weed to make bho. One day soon......

WatTyler,

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
I believe the person who did use some used a double screen towards the heater or sandwiched it between the two screens.

I've only tried a sandwich (ground bud-erl (hehe bho)-ground bud) with a single screen towards the heater. Not bad, good effect with ramping temps, but I really like a straight erl hit taste on its own (and of course the warm ears & melting face effect from it on a Ti plate).

EDIT: forgot to add.......

Update on my headache cause search: Last night I didn't use my Solo and combusted some import Affi hash. Although I didn't get a migraine type headache after partaking, I DID have an episode throughout my sleep overnight.

I'm going to avoid the Solo again one more nite and do what I did again to see if it repeats. If it does, then I guess I'll have to take a break of everything to see what happens.

So at least I'm 'pretty sure' at this point that it isn't the frequency of the Solo or that the ceramic coating has worn off causing it, and that its related to something else (ie: coincidence).

smokum,

Errl

I'm not prone to headaches and I've never got one from the Solo :shrug: But I definitely do have a slight burning ABV smell to mine now. I suspect one of my friends removed the stem while the unit was upright causing some ABV get into the airpath.

I'll have to try that stacking screens idea...

Just contacted a glass blower about a few custom stems. The first one is going to be a regular sized worked piece with some sort of cool mouthpiece encorporated (thinking sherlock style that's balanced so the unit can stand up and not fall over). That would be for just using it as a straight vape. The second one is gonna be a super short and beefy 14mm gong fitting that will be the daily driver for use with my straight tube. Also it sounds like some sort of alternative screen to the 2-4 hole stems is gonna be easiest. I'm thinking something like those new glass screen bowl pieces that are coming out.

Looks like it will be 60 for the heady and 25 for the gong adapter. What do you guys think? Worth it? The artist seems super chill and is only like 20 minutes away from me. He sounded pretty stoked about the idea too.

Errl,

MG23

Relaxin'
Speaking of GonG adapters... Stu, sometime earlier in the thread you mentioned getting GonG stems commisioned, you have any luck?
If so how can I get one. :cool:

MG23,

Pcpvapors

As far as the headaches go, It seems fairly noticeable that people may be jumping the gun and pointing fingers at their shiny new toy. I've experienced headaches from all different vaporizers and never understood why until I hit google. (I've used HA's, solo's, MFLB's, even the "almighty" volcano, to the ROHS compliant PD). Anyway, back to the point, it turns out it was dehydration headaches. Yes, the solo I hit smelled like the mystery scent but after hitting it a couple weeks after the new hydration routine I experienced no headaches. Just saying, that instead of blaming your shiny new toy, you may want to look at your water consumption before starting a mini "violent video games make violent children" campaign against arizer.

Pcpvapors,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
MattyGTwenty3 said:
Speaking of GonG adapters... Stu, sometime earlier in the thread you mentioned getting GonG stems commisioned, you have any luck?

My guy is still working on them. The stems took a while to arrive, but he says he's working on them. However I was concerned by the last email he sent me as he said that he believes there may be a problem because the stems are not borocilicate. I always thought that they were, or am I mistaken? He said he would bring it up with his teacher and get back to me. I'll hopefully know soon. I'm having him make 2 short 14.4 mm and 2 short 18.8 mm stems. I'll probably just give 3 away to whoever want to pay shipping as the cost to me was minimal. Something like $20 ea.

I'll definitely post pics when (if?) they arrive. If it works as I hope, this thing should make my solo really rock with my hydratube that I'll get when my Cloud arrives. :brow:

:peace:

Stu,

MG23

Relaxin'
Stu said:
MattyGTwenty3 said:

My guy is still working on them. The stems took a while to arrive, but he says he's working on them. However I was concerned by the last email he sent me as he said that he believes there may be a problem because the stems are not borocilicate. I always thought that they were, or am I mistaken? He said he would bring it up with his teacher and get back to me. I'll hopefully know soon. I'm having him make 2 short 14.4 mm and 2 short 18.8 mm stems. I'll probably just give 3 away to whoever want to pay shipping as the cost to me was minimal. Something like $20 ea.

I'll definitely post pics when (if?) they arrive. If it works as I hope, this thing should make my solo really rock with my hydratube that I'll get when my Cloud arrives. :brow:

I'm very interested in one of the 14.4's :D
I just got one of the straight stems yesterday that makes glass use a lot easier than the curved stem, but it's kinda long for the job so a shorter GonG stem would be tops.

MG23,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Duly noted. ;)

Frederick, Matty, and CDS will get the 3 extras that I'm having made. Lets just hope that this "is it borosilicate?" issue gets resolved and we'll see how it all comes out.

Stu,
Thanks alot, Stu! Can't wait to try them out.

I just wanted to weigh in that my SS Solo, after having its top baked at 300F for 12 minutes, has become almost scentless. I can detect just a tiny bit of hot-transformer, burning-wire-ness if I put my nose to the actual unit's top at high temp and look for it, but it's pretty much stopped messing with the taste, and I haven't cringed at the smell of it heating up in weeks. I've never had a headache that I could link to the Solo, but am not headache prone with maybe 5-15 throughout the year.

I've also used it as my night-night vape for the last few weeks, at which it excels. It really does have huge cloud production for a portable, or really for most any vape, and it well able to put me into a coughing fit if the conditions are right. I've been starting at 2 so as not to cheat myself out of great flavor and then move up slowly to 4 or 5 before cashing.

I have found the maximum heat setting of 7 to be inadequate to truly be good for vaporizing solid concentrates. Not to say it's bad at it, you just won't be getting completely depleted carbon which turns to black powder like you can get with very hot vapes like the LSV, VM2, any directly butane powered one virtually, or the Vapolution, which is actually amazing for solid concentrates and I've decided not to sell for the time being. I hope the inevitable updated Solo will have higher available temps.

charliedontsurf,

steiner666

Serial vapist
Well, after looking at it since it was announced, and despite the controversial stink, I decided to place an order for a solo via PIU.

As much as i love my zap, i can't ignore my need for a portable any more. And while i've thought about going the safe route and just buying another LB (I sold past ones to friends when my need for a portable vape was nonexistant), I know myself well enough to know that I'd be second-guessing my LB repurchase until i know whether or not the Solo is a better portable for me. So yeah, got a solo coming to satisfy my curiosity.

I will surely post my thoughts on it when it arrives, hopefully by the weekend.

steiner666,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
Awesome, thanks Stu!

I'm a complete noob when it comes to glassblowing, do you know what issues the stem not being borosilicate could cause?

Also,
Has anyone used their solo with the aqua-vape "inline" water filter?

I got one recently, and it is awesomely convenient while vaping in bed at night. The fact that it is effectively spill-proof is very nice, and it stacks bubbles quite well.

I just have a small piece of 7th floor tubing (about 2-3 inches) at the mouth end of my stem to connect it to the aqua vape.

The drag seems to be the same as a 4 hole stem, so I personally don't notice any additional drag over a stem on its own.

Frederick McGuire,

GoGlass

Hello to all,

@Stu : my glassblower is categoric : the Solo's stems are borosilicate, because he has burn one and he had modified one for me.

just a few words for say a big thanks to Arizer who sent me the new SS Solo version at no cost, because my ceramic is chipping. That is great customer service !!!!!

Now i have tested it for a week, i think exactly the same that vape4life 2 pages before :

This new version has a better better airflow, but the vapor is thinner........

First the the four air intake holes at the bottom of the bowl are larger than the ceramic version, so
airflow is better..... but vapor less thick, and plant pieces fallen often in the holes.
After vaping, suck in the 4 holes, and you will eat some pieces.... that don't happen with the ceramic version.

The new 4 holes stems are useless for me, too much airflow, and temps is getting lower, so -> not too much vapor with theses stems...

For having the same clouds (thick) than with my ceramic Solo, i must use 2 holes stems, Temp 7, and a packed tight bowl. Now i have clouds like the Level 5 Setting on my ceramic Solo.

The SS version is also heating less : this is the answer of Kevin at Arizer about my questions :

"I double checked with our engineers and have been informed that the Stainless Steel models are in fact programmed with slightly different temperatures; each temperature setting in the Stainless Steel units is 5 degrees Celsius cooler than the ceramic units.

Best Regards,
Kevin
Arizer Tech"

So now i understand why i use it always at Level 6 or 7. Maybe for concentrates it will be a problem....

Despite all, i think the SS version is not better than the Ceramic bowl, just different.
I think it's always the best portalble vape i have.

And for the statistics : i have never had headaches here, no stink/strange odors, nor with my Cermic, nor with my SS Solo.

GoGlass,
Stu said:
Duly noted. ;)

Frederick, Matty, and CDS will get the 3 extras that I'm having made. Lets just hope that this "is it borosilicate?" issue gets resolved and we'll see how it all comes out.

well I guess I was late to that party :(

VapeNStone,

vape4life

Banned for life
Thanks GoGlass, that confirms my experience too. Try using the 4 hole with the ceramic, it's not bad but I agree the 2 hole and ceramic is the best combo for vapor quality. Too bad that arizer did that with the SS programming, if anything they should have increased the temp to compensate for the reduced temp from increased airflow. but i suppose too high temp is causing some of the smell or problems with the electronics/circuitry.

Upon opening the cap and inspecting, I see red wire, couldn't that maybe get warm and then as we inhale it draws up and into the bowl and as a result affects the taste?

vape4life,
the solo does pull the females though. they are mesmerized by that shit. So the solo stems are def boro glass? hmm that is surprising, I wonder if they all are.

biojuggernaut,

MG23

Relaxin'
Frequency Test

I estimate the sound coming from the Solo is 17khz and very low volume, so those of you that can/can't hear the noise from your Solo see if you can/can't hear the 17khz setting with normal-low volume.

I'm pretty sure all Solos make the noise but most ears (especially more "mature" ears) can't audibly pick it up.

MG23,

max

Out to lunch
MattyGTwenty3 said:
Frequency Test

I estimate the sound coming from the Solo is 17khz (possibly 16) and very low volume, so those of you that can/can't hear the noise from your Solo see if you can/can't hear the 17 or 16khz settings with normal-low volume.

I'm pretty sure all Solos make the noise but most ears (especially more "mature" ears) can't audibly pick it up.
If you're not able to hear the higher frequencies in that test, it may be a limitation of your speakers, rather than your ears. A lot of computer speakers are limited in frequency range.

max,

MG23

Relaxin'
max said:
MattyGTwenty3 said:
Frequency Test

I estimate the sound coming from the Solo is 17khz (possibly 16) and very low volume, so those of you that can/can't hear the noise from your Solo see if you can/can't hear the 17 or 16khz settings with normal-low volume.

If you're not able to hear the higher frequencies in that test, it may be a limitation of your speakers, rather than your ears. A lot of computer speakers are limited in frequency range.

True, good note. I think most speakers, even old ones, can handle the 17khz setting though.

MG23,

steiner666

Serial vapist
MattyGTwenty3 said:
Frequency Test

I estimate the sound coming from the Solo is 17khz and very low volume, so those of you that can/can't hear the noise from your Solo see if you can/can't hear the 17khz setting with normal-low volume.

ugh, hopefully mine doesnt make that noise too much/too loud, cause that feels like it sears straight into my brain via my ears. i can kinda hear 18k too, but its more from noticing a difference in noise when it starts or stops than while its actually going on.

steiner666,

mmenzie

My friends call me "Menz"
Hello everyone, i have been thinking of purchasing one but i have not read all 104 pages (sorry to say). outside this forum i hear nothing but good things about this vape. my question is... while doing a search i came across the solo on amazon for $168.98 and on vaprizesale.org for $199.00. both are by FAR cheaper than the almost $300.00 i see on most sites. i spoke to the people at vaporizesale.org and they say the manufaturere will still honor the 2 year warranty if bought from them (a question i always ask after i was screwed royally when i bought an iolite on ebay and it started acting up 6 months later and found out cause i bought it on ebay O&B will not honor the warranty). so my question to everyone is.... would you trust these places??? i really would love to save $100.00 off the price i see everywhere else.

mmenzie,
Top Bottom