Arizer Solo

Errl

Happy Solo user here, just checking in! I am consistently amazed by how conservative this thing is with herbs while at the same time providing big milks clouds!

I am actually not kidding here, my friends ask me all the time if I loaded another bowl because they can't believe it's still going. It's seriously awesome, I just put a little rubber grommet meant for holding glass slider stems in bongs over the mouthpiece and it easily makes an airtight seal on my 14mm downstem.

Off a normal bowl (no grind, just lightly ripped apart by hand and lightly packed not heaping) I am getting about 10-15 rips out of my 20" straight tube. I am a heavy daily user of herbs and oils so I would say my tolerance is quite high, yet I still set the Solo down before a session is over because I'm simply too ripped.

Using the Solo with oils is a sheer joy. Load half a load, drip some errl on that bad boy and load up the rest. Errl loads last about 15-25 full bong tokes and can get pretty much as many people as I'm with sufficiently stoned.

Errl,

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
BossBrew said:
Let us know how that 4 hole curved stem works!

The 4-hole curved stem is the same (to me)..... less milky vapor (visually) yet produces the same overall medicated effect (again, to me), as my previous 2-hole stems.

Both 4-hole stems appear to have thicker glass than the initial 2-hole stems, and provide a tighter fit in my unit (M102 ceramic), but seems to give me only a slightly tighter draw. So 'maybe' its the reduced airflow playing a role in less visual vapor, idk honestly, but I'll live with it for the option alone of having a straight stem.

** regarding my previous question about the stem bowl seating area wearing out the ceramic in a ring shape that now shows steel in the receiver..... has anyone had their unit replaced because of it ? and/or has it led to further deterioration/chipping ?

I ask only because although I cannot confirm the cause explicitly, I have recently began having migraine like headaches following whenever I use my Solo, and have not changed my mj strain or batch.

smokum,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Sounds like the same kind of flacking Wat described to me Smokum, he got his replaced for that I believe. I do think you're the first to report the flacking in combination with head aches though, could that be a coincident perhaps?

OhTheAgony,

smokum

It very well may be OTA, and I'm hoping it is because I don't have the odor/taste or sound/noise issue with mine that appears to hint towards being the issue others have described.

I just don't want to become disheartened with my Solo, as it has been (for me) the best device to date for my purposes & enjoyment.

I'll have to shoot my supplier an email about the ceramic wearing off and see what they say. I'm not just looking for a free-be, but at the same time I shouldn't be expected to have a not cheaply priced product with an issue in only 4 months time. Heck, I don't even have an issue returning mine but only after receiving the replacement because A) its my only vape type device that actually works for me, and B) I don't want to receive a replacement only to find it is one of the plagued ones with the aforementioned issues.

smokum,

psyshaman

Vapor Viking
Contact Arizer directly, I had the same issue and they replaced my solo with the latest stainless bowl version instead of the ceramic lined bowl.
This is not a new issue for them and a painless process, I was very impressed with Arizers service!

psyshaman,

smokum

Hmmm, good idea but.........

Went to Arizer.com and the site doesn't even mention the Solo !??

I know an email addy to use was mentioned before in this thread to contact Arizer directly, but for the life of me I can't find the darn thing (even with search). Do I just use the sales@ ? or was there a specific one to use.

thks,
smokum

smokum,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
smokum said:
It very well may be OTA, and I'm hoping it is because I don't have the odor/taste or sound/noise issue with mine that appears to hint towards being the issue others have described.

I just don't want to become disheartened with my Solo, as it has been (for me) the best device to date for my purposes & enjoyment.

I'll have to shoot my supplier an email about the ceramic wearing off and see what they say. I'm not just looking for a free-be, but at the same time I shouldn't be expected to have a not cheaply priced product with an issue in only 4 months time. Heck, I don't even have an issue returning mine but only after receiving the replacement because A) its my only vape type device that actually works for me, and B) I don't want to receive a replacement only to find it is one of the plagued ones with the aforementioned issues.

Gotcha. To be honest I wouldn't have my Solo replaced if it just started chipping, I'd just dremel the remaining ceramic of and leave it at that. If it start smelling and/or cause head aches it would be a different story, but I know what I've got now which is worth more to me than a clean looking bowl.

But it is definitely something to look in to more, your head aches I mean. Have you excluded all other possible causes like dehydration, stress, change of weather (some people are sensitive to this), change of diet, etc, etc.? I'm not saying it can't be your Solo, just that you should look in to all the possibilities first. Head aches can have so many causes unfortunately.

Good luck diagnosing anyways & keep us posted please.

edit, couldn't find the email address either, but my search did come up with this phone number: 888-291-0521. From what I gather it's a free nr, but I can't guaranty that last part.

OhTheAgony,

smokum

Thks for responding again OTA.....

Yes, I will have to further investigate these headaches. Just found it strange that they coincide within minutes after medicating with the Solo is all. For all I know, it could be me possibly stressing over the thought of the ceramic wearing out....... the human mind can play the strangest of tricks on oneself, although this migraine type is nothing like a stress headache as it turns one eye blood red, congests the sinuses, and is so painful it ends up causing vomiting (from 'quick' online research it appears to resemble what is called a cluster headache)..... so I've got a lot more reading to do, lol.

btw, I did manage to find that contact info after doing a page by page search: "Steve at : Arizertech@gmail.com or 1-888-292-0521"

Again, thk-u for your responses and insight.

smokum,

CaptainQ

smokum said:
Yes, I will have to further investigate these headaches. Just found it strange that they coincide within minutes after medicating with the Solo is all. For all I know, it could be me possibly stressing over the thought of the ceramic wearing out....... the human mind can play the strangest of tricks on oneself, although this migraine type is nothing like a stress headache as it turns one eye blood red, congests the sinuses, and is so painful it ends up causing vomiting (from 'quick' online research it appears to resemble what is called a cluster headache)..... so I've got a lot more reading to do, lol.

Have been thinking about this myself lately, Smokum have you got any other vapes which have similar restricted draw? I know I cant drink McDonalds thickshakes because the constant need to draw harder than a bears tits gives me the worst headaches in the world (practically fainting). Have ordered some of the new 4 hole stems, apparently the airflow is significantly improved.... Regardless congratulations to Arizer, I can see that the vape may have been rushed to the market but those who think the risk of use may be fatal honestly need to lay off the green for a few days and come back to earth with the rest of us :)

CaptainQ,

max

Out to lunch
I've been using a PD for years-definitely a restricted air flow-no headaches. Then again, I'm not fighting it, as you would in trying to suck a too thick milkshake through a straw.

max,

smokum

CaptainQ said:
Have been thinking about this myself lately, Smokum have you got any other vapes which have similar restricted draw? I know I cant drink McDonalds thickshakes because the constant need to draw harder than a bears tits gives me the worst headaches in the world (practically fainting). Have ordered some of the new 4 hole stems, apparently the airflow is significantly improved.... Regardless congratulations to Arizer, I can see that the vape may have been rushed to the market but those who think the risk of use may be fatal honestly need to lay off the green for a few days and come back to earth with the rest of us :)

Thanks for your input.....

I don't believe that is my issue in this case, as I also now have the 4-hole stems and find them a much lighter draw. I've never had that problem with restrictive draws before, but I know that I consider my inhaling technique as 'sipping' rather than direct lung hits (which I can't handle due to compromised lungs and bronch's).

Anyways, I've emailed (at length with details and my concerns of the ceramic debonding/wearing off considering my ailments and lack of scientific documentation in regards to direct inhaling off ceramic coatings that have broken down), Steve at Arizer and await his response.

Will have to see what happens, but I suppose its always possible to request my exact unit be upfitted with a stainless chamber as opposed to receiving a replacement unit that 'may' have further issues as noted previously. I just hate the thought of going back to combusting instead of vaping, and I certainly can't be without my meds.

Time will tell..........

smokum,

MG23

Relaxin'
Just keep testing it, if you continue to get a headache after each use it has to be something to do with using the Solo. If not it's likely just coincidence. If it is in fact coming from the Solo I would try using it without the flashing heat light facing you the entire time, as this is approximately where the sound during heat up seems to be coming from and if the Solo is in fact causing anyone a headache I think it would be from the frequency personally, even if you can't hear it.

Edit: The "thinner" vapor from the 4-hole stems is a result of the improved airflow, more airflow means more airy hits as the vapor to air ratio goes down. Not a bad thing at all really, to me it just means a huge hit is less likely to make me cough.

MG23,

Papa Woody

"The vapor is strong with this one"-Obi Onda Woody
Smokum, Do you get a headache if you hit off the Solo with nothing in the bowl but with the Solo turned on to the heat level you normally hit it at? Try that for the amount of hits you would normally do with herb in the bowl where you've gotten headaches before and see if it happens then. Also, when you do this experiment, see if you taste anything abnormal with the empty bowl hits.

Papa Woody,

tees

Smokum, I'm getting the same exact stress headache symptoms and bloodred eyes, happens to me approximately 30 minutes after my Solo session. i have an M103 which I received last week, went through all the burn in steps, and even keep it at just the 2nd setting since if it's happening at the lowest level, there's no need to increase the setting. i'm not really sure if mine smells or not, but i do hear the irritating high frequency sound. i'm considering trying it with ear plugs to see if that's the issue causing the headaches but i'm pretty scared to give it another session, as i've been completely burned out all day for the first time ever and haven never even been burned out from combustion. do any of you satisfied owners have the frequency issue too? its disappointing because this device is awesome and i feel fantastic until the headache comes over me, i have to literally convince myself like a dumb dog to not keep trying it.

tees,

smokum

Papa Woody said:
Smokum, Do you get a headache if you hit off the Solo with nothing in the bowl but with the Solo turned on to the heat level you normally hit it at? Try that for the amount of hits you would normally do with herb in the bowl where you've gotten headaches before and see if it happens then. Also, when you do this experiment, see if you taste anything abnormal with the empty bowl hits.

I have not tried Papa Woody, and at this point (starting this eve) I'm going back to combustion in attempts to avoid getting one for at least ONE night (I'm just so worn out with them).

Steve from Arizer has responded to my email regarding the ceramic wearing off and is ensuring that a new SS bowl unit is being expedited immediately to replace my unit. So, with any luck, I'm hopeful that the replacement will deter a further episode. That is.... 'if' its the cause of 'my' painful headaches over the last week, since noticing the ceramic wearing off, in the first place. But regardless, I'm very pleased with Arizer's attempt to appease my concerns of the ceramic coming off.

My fingers are crossed either way.

tees said:
Smokum, I'm getting the same exact stress headache symptoms and bloodred eyes, happens to me approximately 30 minutes after my Solo session. i have an M103 which I received last week, went through all the burn in steps, and even keep it at just the 2nd setting since if it's happening at the lowest level, there's no need to increase the setting. i'm not really sure if mine smells or not, but i do hear the irritating high frequency sound. i'm considering trying it with ear plugs to see if that's the issue causing the headaches but i'm pretty scared to give it another session, as i've been completely burned out all day for the first time ever and haven never even been burned out from combustion. do any of you satisfied owners have the frequency issue too? its disappointing because this device is awesome and i feel fantastic until the headache comes over me, i have to literally convince myself like a dumb dog to not keep trying it.

I'm not physically hearing the frequency pitch myself yet not saying its not there and may be playing a role, but since I've only recently started experiencing the headaches I'm not sure if thats the cause.

I do hope you find and are able to correct your issue tees !! Its very frustrating to not know the exact cause.

smokum,

shane15

I too hear a high frequency sounds. Is this common with the M103 models? Maybe it is just me but i feel that due to the restricted airflow of the two hole steam that I get a headache. Should I possibly ask for a warranty model?

shane15,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I have a M103 and have never heard any high-frequency sounds. I just got a 4-hole stem today and it does offer better airflow, so you may want to try that first. Personally for me I'd never had any problems with the 2-hole stem and I can't imagine someone sucking hard enough on a solo so as to cause a headache.
:2c:

Stu,

vaplexus

Stu said:
... I can't imagine someone sucking hard enough on a solo so as to cause a headache.
:2c:

Well they obviously suck more than you do! :lol::brow::peace:

So far the solo is fantastic. tonight i purposely used the herbal aire because i was using the solo instead and wanted to give the HA a chance. its good too of course but a different kind of experience (i use a whip). i used the solo on a hike too and it worked out great. gave ample time for some enjoyment. at first i was annoyed by the 12 min timer but then i realized its a really good thing because you can rely on it turning off so you don't have to worry about it. the herbal aire does this too. if it didn't auto off it would be a real risk. and 12 mins is enough to keep you on your toes if you are a slow sucker. lol

Im going to order some 4 hole wands. a little more airflow would be nice.

vaplexus,
how are you guys getting thru your entire 12 minute cycles? I must take huge hits because I don't think I have ever had it last that long even while sharing with up to two different people? I just packed some hash in mine and I still couldn't do the whole 12 before I cashed the bowl? Am I not packing as much? I don't ever push mine in I just lightly fluff it in there? I would guess I vape around .08 on average in the solo, but I have never weighed it.

EDIT: Oh and just now while hitting the solo I noticed some chipping :( so I emailed Kevin at Arizer with a nice long email with some pictures of the damage.

VapeNStone,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I like to take my time. Usually I'll be done within a few minutes and I shut it off myself. But there are times that I like to take a few minutes between giant bongrips to "catch my breath". The 12 minute shutoff has made me use the Lord's name in vain more than once, I'm afraid. :uhoh:

Stu,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
12 minutes is to short for me period. I always have to turn it on again halfway to two third of my session, really loath the automatic shut off timer. What makes it worse for me is that I can't get the function to work which puts it back on the heat setting you were at last, so after turning it on I always have to press the up button 5 or 6 times before I can continue. I know the function works because I managed to use it just once, but I don't know when exactly to press the up button to do this and the window for it seems so small that I've have failed so many times I've given up trying. It's kind of annoying, but what's worse is that it makes me worry I'll wear out the up button eventually because of this.

I've never heard any strange noises from my M102 btw. I took a hearing test for work just two years ago and same as always the results show I have an extremely sensitive hearing, I can hear sounds most humans can't according to the medic that took the test. I'm not entirely sure anymore, but I think it went up in the 24K range. So I just have to be skeptical about the assumption that all Solo's make a high pitch noise.

edit: I just remembered the exact nr, it was 22.700Hz for the upper range.

OhTheAgony,

thecragus

OhTheAgony said:
What makes it worse for me is that I can't get the function to work which puts it back on the heat setting you were at last, so after turning it on I always have to press the up button 5 or 6 times before I can continue. I know the function works because I managed to use it just once, but I don't know when exactly to press the up button to do this and the window for it seems so small that I've have failed so many times I've given up trying. It's kind of annoying, but what's worse is that it makes me worry I'll wear out the up button eventually because of this.

OhTheAgony, try turning it on by pressing both buttons (blue light at bottom flashes twice), wait for the yellow lights to zip up to the top (or as high as they'll get), and then press the DOWN button to restore your last temperature setting. This will stop the wear & tear on your UP button :) Hope this works for you....

thecragus,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Yay, I just got it 3 times in a row, thanks Cragus! I think I was pushing it to soon before.

OhTheAgony,
Top Bottom