Arizer Solo II

AJS

Calm Consistency
Super impressed with the battery life, especially coming from an Air. Took the Solo II on a week long camping trip and still had some charge left after I got back. Heat up time is also a huge deal. Only thing I really find myself wishing for was a bit less draw resistance.

Also might need to get a coarser grinder because sometimes little bits make it through the stems. Does anyone find inserting screens into the stems negatively affects their experiences? (more draw resistance? worse flavour?) I hear temperature needs to be stepped up slightly to compensate.
I use screens every time. I like em.

OF

I also ordered another car charger for the Solo OG. I tried the one I have and it died.

You killed a car cord? That takes some doing, as I said it's a pretty simple thing. While I don't have one, often there's a fuse in the car connector end. The metal band around the spring loaded 'plunger' contact unscrews and there's a fuse (typically two Amps or so) under it on top of the spring. You might check for that before pitching the dead one out?

On connectors like the vape end of this guy where the contacts aren't well protected it's common for the loose end to find some conductor to short it out and blow the fuse when not in actual use.

OF

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
@OF I actually have fuses for the car charger because early on it wouldn't work. You suggested a fuse. I was lucky enough to find some at radio shack. That did the trick. This time I think it's different. I tried changing the fuse. Tried twice just in case it was up side down. It must be the wiring. I see radio shack doesn't exist anymore. I thought they were so helpful but there wasn't anybody in the store anymore the last few times I was there.

I've been thinking about ordering another anyway. I will see if it works with my Solo 2. If not that's OK I still can use it with the OG. It works well in a power outage. Be prepared the Girl Scout motto.

My order from @PuffItUp has already been shipped.

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
Mine too, isn't the service at PIU fantastic?

I bet I get mine first, it's only about 250 miles.....'downhill all the way'..... Then again, the PO can always foul it up, they have proven abilities in that area.

OF
I ordered a couple of things from @PuffItUp on Friday at 7pm EST and it was in my hands Monday afternoon! I wasn't expecting to see it until the end of the week -- happy Monday to me!

steamfunk

Adding some jet fuel to the fire, I recently ordered and received a PVHES Shorty stem. Immediately noticed that it was a much tighter fit than the standard stem, but was able to insert it after warm up without too much difficulty. I did two 15 minute sessions that night with the PVHES stem.

The next day, I went back to the arizer stem and was surprised to find it much looser fitting than before. It seems that just two sessions with the ever so slightly larger PVHES stem was enough to noticeably stretch out the seal.

From the time I first received the solo2 and used it multiple times daily over a couple weeks, the fit has been tight enough that there was no wiggle, and I was able to pick the unit up by the stem with confidence that the solo2 wouldn't fall off. (Not that I regularly do that or anything, just using it as a test for tight fitting seal.) Now, after getting stretched out by the PVHES stem, my standard arizer stems have a slight wiggle, and loose enough that a fully hot solo2 will fall off if lifted up by the stem.

It's all still perfectly useable, and the fit right now is more ideal than before. This slightly looser fit allows me to more easily remove the stem between hits if I'm being leisurely and don't want to keep cooking it, which is my preferred style. But I'm kind of disappointed that only two sessions with a slightly larger stem was enough to so noticeably, permanently alter the seal. I certainly don't want it to get any looser than it is at this moment, which is making me afraid to use the PVHES stem again.

Separate note, I'm also kind of disappointed in the PVHES Shorty stem altogether. The thing was expensive, but I picked one up anyway as soon as it was in stock, just to sate my curiosity if I'd like it better. The shorty stem is supposed to be a smaller bowl. However, the bowl is merely 30% shallower while maintaining the same diameter. Thus the minimum quantity I can pack into it is exactly the same as the minimum I can pack into the arizer stem, so I really fail to see any advantage to the shorty over the regular bowl. Yes, the herb sits a little deeper in the oven with the shorty, but there's no advantage to that I'm able to detect.

What's more, the 'micro-channel' grooves that supposedly allow for less draw resistance are pretty dumb. The design allows outside air to enter from above the unit, into the oven cup, and then back up through the bowl and stem. Since that additional air is coming from outside, it's significantly cooler than the air that travels the intended path, from the intake vent, past the heater, and up through the oven. So while yes, I can inhale more air with less resistance, the real result is that the cooler outside air mixes with the hot oven air, and requires running the solo2 at a 10-20 degree hotter temp to achieve the same vaping effect. So not only are the microchannels pointless, they actually seem to decrease efficiency. I know that these things have been around for years and these observations are super late to the party, and I probably should have done deeper reading before wasting $25 on a stem that permanently altered the stem seal fit of my unit, and that I'll likely never use again unless all the others are broken and it's the last option I have.

Last edited:

Pappy

shmaporist
Only a measly single dozen? @ataxian can do that on a 3 day weekend....without help.

Still, it's a credible effort viewed on it's own. Easily in contention for second runner up? We need a plan in case Ataxian can't, for whatever reason, fulfill his duties (like opening a new Head Shop or something) you can cover for him?

Sorry to be harsh, but the very admission that you still have original stems unbroken doesn't speak well of your dedication now does it?

Regards,

OF
LOL! I once was a PV snob. If I had $24.95 for each Turbo Shorty or Vortex I've broken I could've bought Arizer. ;)

OF

Thus the minimum quantity I can pack into it is exactly the same as the minimum I can pack into the arizer stem, so I really fail to see any advantage to the shorty over the regular bowl.

What's more, the 'micro-channel' grooves that supposedly allow for less draw resistance are pretty dumb. The design allows outside air to enter from above the unit, into the oven cup, and then back up through the bowl and stem. Since that additional air is coming from outside, it's significantly cooler than the air that travels the intended path, from the intake vent, past the heater, and up through the oven.

I'm sorry you're not happy with your PVHES some/many of us share that and prefer factory stems, but it's a personal thing I think?

It's unfortunate you bought the stem under false understanding. There very definitely is a use for the shorty (which is why they sell, some folks like them?), they are intended for folks that don't finish a normal bowl. They are not intended for 'micro dosing' as the volume is too large as you point out. Arizer doesn't describe or advise this (partial filling) AFAIK? I don't think it's intended. I suggest, instead, you get one of the domed screens and install it 'dome up' this cuts the stock stem to about 1/2 normal and the shorty to about 1/4 of normal. More over it has the advantage of holding a larger percentage against the walls for better heating/vapor production with the reduced load. FWIW my standard load is about .125 grams (1/8) using this screen in stock bowls. You really don't want smaller diameter if you think about it, it's going to slow the heat transfer down........

The grooves also have a history. The theory with Solo I is just the opposite of what you suggest. That is the air drawn down next to the stem gets heated by the walls. Seriously. Just as mistaken, I think, as the idea that air is heated in a 'heater' (doesn't really exist, the cup is heated) or that it gets heated on it's brief trip past hot stuff. Consider that a tiny percentage of the air contacts the walls to start with (less now that the holes are bigger) and that the metal thickness at the ports (time of contact) which was thin before but i even thinner now that the floor is 'hogged out'.

Air can also cross over the top of the oven under the cover in the photos, under the seal and down the sides. With or without grooves. The stem doesn't fit the cup tightly.

Drawing cold air in cools stuff because it's cold, it doesn't matter exactly how it's heated, it does get heated robbing heat from vapor production. All cold air can offer is a larger volume of weaker vapor?

Anyway, give the screens a try it might improve it for you if I understand what you want. And again, I'm sorry it's not what you expected, but I think those of us who know Solo and Air find Solo II 'within range'? That is 'about what was expected'?

Regards to all.

OF

steamfunk

I'm sorry you're not happy with your PVHES some/many of us share that and prefer factory stems, but it's a personal thing I think?

It's unfortunate you bought the stem under false understanding. There very definitely is a use for the shorty (which is why they sell, some folks like them?), they are intended for folks that don't finish a normal bowl. They are not intended for 'micro dosing' as the volume is too large as you point out. Arizer doesn't describe or advise this (partial filling) AFAIK? I don't think it's intended. I suggest, instead, you get one of the domed screens and install it 'dome up' this cuts the stock stem to about 1/2 normal and the shorty to about 1/4 of normal. More over it has the advantage of holding a larger percentage against the walls for better heating/vapor production with the reduced load. FWIW my standard load is about .125 grams (1/8) using this screen in stock bowls. You really don't want smaller diameter if you think about it, it's going to slow the heat transfer down........

The grooves also have a history. The theory with Solo I is just the opposite of what you suggest. That is the air drawn down next to the stem gets heated by the walls. Seriously. Just as mistaken, I think, as the idea that air is heated in a 'heater' (doesn't really exist, the cup is heated) or that it gets heated on it's brief trip past hot stuff. Consider that a tiny percentage of the air contacts the walls to start with (less now that the holes are bigger) and that the metal thickness at the ports (time of contact) which was thin before but i even thinner now that the floor is 'hogged out'.

Air can also cross over the top of the oven under the cover in the photos, under the seal and down the sides. With or without grooves. The stem doesn't fit the cup tightly.

Drawing cold air in cools stuff because it's cold, it doesn't matter exactly how it's heated, it does get heated robbing heat from vapor production. All cold air can offer is a larger volume of weaker vapor?

Anyway, give the screens a try it might improve it for you if I understand what you want. And again, I'm sorry it's not what you expected, but I think those of us who know Solo and Air find Solo II 'within range'? That is 'about what was expected'?

Regards to all.

OF

Oh don't get me wrong on that last part... I'm very satisfied with the solo2 on the whole. It's the shorty stem I'm disappointed with. I already suspected as much before buying it, but I had to know for sure and ordered it anyway. I knew the risk going in, and was not all that surprised. What did surprise me was how quickly the solo2 stem fit was altered after only two sessions with the wider PVHES. Did not expect such a permanent change so quickly.

And yea, I know the screens would pretty much take care of it. I'm just going to always be on the lookout for potential options to achieve that without needing a screen. I said it in my earlier post from last week... the exact thing I want would be a stem bowl with inner dimensions equal to a stock e-nano stem, but with outer dimensions the same as a stock solo stem obviously so it fits in the cup properly. this would be simply achieved with thicker walled glass at the bowl end.

I know narrowing the bowl decreases the surface area exposed, thus slowing the heat transfer. However, I also think there's a sweet spot relative to the size of the load. There can be such a thing as too much surface area, if the goal is getting multiple satisfying hits out of a smaller load. Some airflow restriction through the narrower stem is also good for concentrating the vapor into thicker clouds. I think the e-nano stem gets this perfectly. The e-nano's bowl dimensions are perfect for ≤ 0.1g quantities, while the larger solo stem diameter would be preferable for loads > 0.1g.

I suppose I'm still working under the assumption that the solo2 is primarily convection with some incidental conduction, rather than the reverse. If I'm right, a thicker walled bowl should not impact heating of the material. If conduction, I can def see how the thicker glass would impede heat transfer from the walls of the cup.

The solo2 is still new in my home, and I've been using it heavily to get to know all its intricacies. I realize that it will never match the performance I'm used to from the e-nano, but I would like to find a method of getting it as close to that e-nano ideal as possible, whether it be with different stems or techniques or whatever.

WildChild

Seeking My Shangri-La
Adding some jet fuel to the fire, I recently ordered and received a PVHES Shorty stem. Immediately noticed that it was a much tighter fit than the standard stem, but was able to insert it after warm up without too much difficulty. I did two 15 minute sessions that night with the PVHES stem. Good product.

The next day, I went back to the arizer stem and was surprised to find it much looser fitting than before. It seems that just two sessions with the ever so slightly larger PVHES stem was enough to noticeably stretch out the seal.

From the time I first received the solo2 and used it multiple times daily over a couple weeks, the fit has been tight enough that there was no wiggle, and I was able to pick the unit up by the stem with confidence that the solo2 wouldn't fall off. (Not that I regularly do that or anything, just using it as a test for tight fitting seal.) Now, after getting stretched out by the PVHES stem, my standard arizer stems have a slight wiggle, and loose enough that a fully hot solo2 will fall off if lifted up by the stem.

I had the exact same experience as you, my friend; used my PVHES shorty bent turbo with a slightly wider diameter on my new Solo 2 (before trying the stock stem). When I went to try the stock stem afterward, it seemed a bit loose for my liking. But I will say that the PVHES shorty is still a favorite of mine in the original Solo.

Figured a less-than-tight fit would diminish the effectiveness. Having owned the original Solo (and having worried about the same issue), I realized that it didn't stop my herb from turning an even, dark brown...just the way I like it. I'm no expert, but this unit seems to perform regardless of how tight the seal is. I've heard others here (much more experienced than me) state the same findings about the Solo family. I hope this helps put your mind at ease...at least a little bit.

On another note, I am back enjoying my Solo 2. For a high temperature, get-that-ABV-dark-brown, kind of guy, this little baby performs beautifully. Have to say it's my favorite; so impressed.

EDIT: I don't yet own the E-Nano but hope to soon.

Last edited:

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I think the PVHES mouthpieces work better with the Solo OG IMO. I needed a little extra airflow. The newer Solo 2 doesn't have as much of a draw resistance. There still is a little resistance there. I like a little little bit of a resistance but not too much.

Last edited:

OF

I know narrowing the bowl decreases the surface area exposed, thus slowing the heat transfer.

I suppose I'm still working under the assumption that the solo2 is primarily convection with some incidental conduction, rather than the reverse. If I'm right, a thicker walled bowl should not impact heating of the material. If conduction, I can def see how the thicker glass would impede heat transfer from the walls of the cup.

Yep, it's thicker glass I was referring to WRT slowing the transfer (flow) of the heat. You can test your 'thicker walls' idea with the PV Vortex stems, they have thicker walls and in my (and I think most?) experience it takes 'more heat' for the same production to compensate. Another bit of evidence is Ed's excellent wood stems, which have a SS tube for the bowl section. That part extends up higher (past the screen) and is exposed to the air. Again, you need to 'bump up' the temperature to compensate for the heat that gets conducted up rather than in.

I get it some guys like to think it's convection since they 'know' convection is better I assume, but Solo makes much more sense if you abandon that and consider it from a conduction POV.

There are other arguments (like convection is very inefficient, it would eat up the battery fast). And the thermodynamics involved (the heated air has to be a LOT hotter going in than vaping temperature or it would be too cold before it could contribute any useful heat to making vapor). For instance the source in the Thermovape convection vapes ran around 1300F, glowing hot. Nothing in Solo is anywhere near that hot. Volcano also has a very hot heat source, so it can supply lots of quite hot air, not dribbles of 390F like you find in Solo. And of course there's the issue of a cold stem inserted into a hot Solo, convection would make vapor 'right away', not after a 'heat soak', right?

Glad to hear you're enjoying your Solo on the whole, it's a good machine for sure. A tough tool for making vapor, dependable, easy to use, and flexible. A standout in the field IMO. Not for everyone, but a good attempt at that goal.

OF

AJS

Calm Consistency
Long day at work, so decided to pack a deep, screenless, Ed Stem. Temp low, mix of herbs, flavor is insane. Taking the screen out every now and then and packing a huge bowl sure is nice. The flaves man. Not a single thing to be tasted except your herb. Plus this stem has insane airflow. So free flowing it's not even fair.

dRLv5Te.jpg

Smokey McVape

Long day at work, so decided to pack a deep, screenless, Ed Stem. Temp low, mix of herbs, flavor is insane. Taking the screen out every now and then and packing a huge bowl sure is nice. The flaves man. Not a single thing to be tasted except your herb. Plus this stem has insane airflow. So free flowing it's not even fair.

dRLv5Te.jpg
@AJS I have the same stem as you and you need to try a whole nug - the flavour lasts even longer. Got to love Ed and his awesome Solo accessories!

tonuzzi

Spoon Dogg
I just purchased this stem from Ed's. Anybody have this stem and does it work well with the Solo OG and/or solo 2? It's the longer stem (Same length as the OG straight solo stem)

Atomic-Arizer-Air-Solo-3D-Flow-Booster-Glass-Vapor-Stem-470x470.png

tonuzzi,
Reactions: Derrrpp

LiquidVape

Also, loving the Solo 2.

as much as it continues the awesomeness of solo OG and Air, i have to say there are a few benifits:
-lcd screen is awesome, with the customization of time settings and being able to see battery level (huge plus!)
-battery is a tank, good stuff.
-startup time is much improved. As much as i praise the church of @OF , i have to say that i get clouds way way faster then my OG, and the first puff is much more cloudy then first puff of an OG. There must be some kind of improvement of the ovens efficiency. i tried to pass it off as just me being excited about the new toy, but going side to side, the difference is noticeable. Although, overall, it makes no difference, and the vaping experience is same as the OG and Air. Which is a great thing.

JCharles

FC 06/06/2017 | ACMPR 26/07/2017
i just received my by mail (exactly that one), and it broke as i put it into the solo 2 to test out the fit. Extremely thin glass, so watch out!

10rmg00.jpg

I feel your pain. I broke several glass pieces trying to get them in the Solo II.

It seems like the middle ring is the tight one. I could generally get the glass partially in before hearing the glass cry.

I believe the bowl is the same diameter but the tension rings are slightly smaller than the OG Solo.

Regarding the LCD and battery display - I really wish they would have opted for a percentage display vs the indicator level.

Last edited:

LiquidVape

I feel your pain. I broke several glass pieces trying to get them in the solo.

It seems like the middle ring is the right one. I could generally get the glass partially in before hearing the glass cry.

I believe the bowl is the same diameter but the tension rings are slightly smaller than the OG Solo.

Regarding the LCD and battery display - I really wish they would have opted for a percentage display vs the indicator level.

my first time braking a stem in this manner. it's also the thinnest glass stem I've had to date (ive purchased over 10x the stock stems, different lengths, and also around 5 PVHE stems, which i thought were too thin, but not compared to the 3d booster stem which is by far thinner, and some custom made stems from JodaGlass)

% indicator would of been nice yea, but this is pretty accurate, coming from the inaccuracy of the OG :D

tonuzzi

Spoon Dogg
i just received my by mail (exactly that one), and it broke as i put it into the solo 2 to test out the fit. Extremely thin glass, so watch out!

10rmg00.jpg

Thanks for the feedback LV, that sucks that it broke so soon. My Solo 2 Is about a month old and the OG stems fit snug with a bit of wobble so Its broken in enough hopefully.

@AJS & @Smokey McVape Did you guys find it difficult to insert this stem into your Solo 2's?

Last edited:

Smokey McVape

I just purchased this stem from Ed's. Anybody have this stem and does it work well with the Solo OG and/or solo 2? It's the longer stem (Same length as the OG straight solo stem)

Atomic-Arizer-Air-Solo-3D-Flow-Booster-Glass-Vapor-Stem-470x470.png
Nice! Gonna order one myself after work

Thanks for the feedback LV, that sucks that it broke so soon. My Solo 2 Is about a month old and the OG stems fit snug with a bit of wobble so Its broken in enough hopefully.

@AJS & @Smokey McVape Did you guys find it difficult to insert this stem into your Solo 2's?
@ tonuzzi I ALWAYS pre heat my Solo/Air before inserting aftermarket stems and have never had one break yet - unlike the numerous original Arizer stems I have dropped!

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom