Any serious beer drinkers in forum?

Philreal187

Last night a good friend of mine bought me this local gem!

Everything from Draai Laag Brewery is from wild yeast and tends to be more sour with complex Belgium flavors. You honestly never know what to expect when trying there beer!! It's my favorite Pittsburgh Brewery and possibly my over all favorite brewery with Wicked Weed brewery in Asheville NC on a close second.

EXMPLrm.jpg

SfjBAYB.jpg

I love the unique art work this is the newer cleaned up label before they where real classics!!

Pr28ZUw.jpg

For anyone who is a beer nerd like me here is an interview with the owner and founder of Draai Laag!
*Just wait until you see the brewing area:cool:

I feel truly lucky to live just a 30 minute drive away from this brewery and about 15 others!!

:peace:

Mr Mellish

I never remember what the hell I had even though I swear to myself I'll remember. I know I had a Stone IPA recently but can't remember my take on it.

That's why I started using Untappd on my smart phone. It's the only way I can keep track of everything I try. Works quite well when I remember to check that next purchase. But, I'll be damned if I don't tend to forget it when I decide to try that $10 8 oz pour that, as it turns out, I've already tried. Getting old is hell.

Last edited:

Mr Mellish

Thanks for the app suggestion. I just started drinking beers and am enjoying the ability to keep them straight. Some are killer and others I have dumped down the drain!

Is there a certain style you find yourself dumping more than others?

I do my best to finish them all but there have been a small few that have gone to sleep with the fishes.

ETA:
Bell's Oktoberfest is tasty this year.
Stone Citricado is much tastier on tap than in the bottle.
Perrin's Big Griz is a mouthful of interesting on tap.
Deschute's Black Butte 28 is very nice on tap.

Last edited:

Gettinbetter

In general I seem to like dark beers better but it just depends. I've tried a couple of wheat beers and they were terrible to me. I dumped one of those and sheesh, I can't remember. I'll have to look. I think they were both New Belgium beers in a variety pack. I do like the 1554 by them and Slow rider is decent. I like their Ranger IPA too. IPA's are very hit and miss for me. Some are very good and others are aweful. I can't figure out what the difference is. I mostly try to stick to red ales, some porters, and primarily stouts.

Philreal187

Nice glass @BD9 pour this holiday seasonal for you! :cheers:

E791H0B.jpg

This was actually my first pumpkin beer this year, not counting my leftover pumkings from last year.

It's from North Country Brewing Late Night Pumpkin Ale. Definitely liked it, getting a sixer soon!

nsIf8fz.jpg

I picked this one also because it was a PA brewery and canned! Not my favorite Oktoberfest but was drinkable. I think Great Lakes was my favorite last year.

3cI4s7H.jpg

Philreal187

@Mr Mellish I love bells brown ale I'll definitely keep an eye out for the Oktoberfest. Wayerbacher is a PA brewery and I have had the merry monk a few times, I was actually in the store yesterday looking for new seasonals and definitely looked at there imperial pumpkin but wasn't sure about a whole sixer of it. Since your not too into the pumpkins I'll take that as a must try now!! Thanks for the leads to good brews!

I popped a few new ones last night while relaxing around a fire with my girl on a cooler night.

Here is two from long trail we drank, I had the harvest she had the gose. I really liked the harvest it was basically a delicious brown ale but only 4.4 abv. My girl like the cranberry gose and I thought it tasted pretty good as well, not too salty like the other gose I tried before.

GpOR0Wy.jpg

This is a semi local pumpkin ale, it was for my girl, I tried it wasn't impressed kinda an artificial taste. She said it tasted like perfume haha. I liked erie brewing Oktoberfest last year thats why I thought this was going to be better than it was.

nQ04Y51.jpg

This brew was my surprise favorite of the night. Never had anything from this Oregon brewery but they definitely won my respect with the Hopzeit Autumn IPA. I will certainly be looking for more from Deschutes Brewery!

lEvML5P.jpg

Did I ever mention my love for fall and winter brews haha. Honestly though chilly nights warm flavor brews and a vapman on the side that is the life for me!!

:peace:

Last edited:

Mr Mellish

Hey @Philreal187, an interesting thing about the Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin is that there is this late kiss of citrus that gives it a nice balance. However, please note that I had it on draft, so I can't speak to how it is in the bottle.

If you like porters, the Deschutes Black Butte XXVIII is interesting. It's an imperial porter that is bourbon barrel aged. I've had it on draft three different places. In two, you got the bourbon but nice hints of vanilla and orange. In the other, it tasted like bourbon. So, YMMV. (Deschutes Not the Stoic is a very interesting Belgian Quad).

In terms of browns:
- Alesmith Nut Brown Ale is tasty
- Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale is very nice
- Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron is very good
- You probably can't find them but Perrin's Lil' Griz (Brown Ale) and Big Griz (Imperial Brown Ale) are quite good

ETA: just found Avery's Pump[KY]n. This bad boy is a pricey 12 oz bottle and is 18.8%.

Last edited:

GetLeft

hopknife.jpg

6.2% ABV
87 IBU

Malt: Crystal, Pilsner, Vienna
Hops: Cascade, Chinook, El Dorado
Dry Hops: Centennial, Citra, Columbus
Yeast: Ale
Color: Deep Amber

Hop Knife Harvest Ale recognizes the time-honored tradition of hand-harvesting at the peak of maturity. At the end of fermentation, the beer flows through our HopCyclone releasing a bounty of preserved citrus rind, crushed jungle and tropical aromas.

Very nice.
Think I'll have another.

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
hopknife.jpg

6.2% ABV
87 IBU

Malt: Crystal, Pilsner, Vienna
Hops: Cascade, Chinook, El Dorado
Dry Hops: Centennial, Citra, Columbus
Yeast: Ale
Color: Deep Amber

Hop Knife Harvest Ale recognizes the time-honored tradition of hand-harvesting at the peak of maturity. At the end of fermentation, the beer flows through our HopCyclone releasing a bounty of preserved citrus rind, crushed jungle and tropical aromas.

Very nice.
Think I'll have another.

Oh yeah!! That's a nice one. Often found for a nice priced growler fill, too.

Gettinbetter

Hey @Philreal187

If you like porters, the Deschutes Black Butte XXVIII is interesting. It's an imperial porter that is bourbon barrel aged. I've had it on draft three different places. In two, you got the bourbon but nice hints of vanilla and orange. In the other, it tasted like bourbon. So, YMMV. (Deschutes Not the Stoic is a very interesting Belgian Quad).

In terms of browns:
- Alesmith Nut Brown Ale is tasty
- Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale is very nice
- Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron is very good
- You probably can't find them but Perrin's Lil' Griz (Brown Ale) and Big Griz (Imperial Brown Ale) are quite good

ETA: just found Avery's Pump[KY]n. This bad boy is a pricey 12 oz bottle and is 18.8%.
That Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale is really good! I also like Moose Drool.

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
Have been finding and drinking some AMAZING IPAs lately. One definitely worthy of mention is Breaking Bud (how appropriate for FC!). Have had it in the past, but this newest batch on tap is really nice. It really out-tastes its relatively low 50 IBU if you like the hops, and the Mosaics are brimming from the first sip.

Cool pic, too. And, although I love Breaking Bad and figured the connection from the start - the first I've seen the label is going to find it to post here. I've only had it on tap, but will definitely grab a bottle when I see it. Every IPA I've had from Knee Deep is a winner - and this isn't even my favorite from them.

bearpanel_breakingbud_newbarrles.jpg

Still a favorite of all good hop-heads, and amazing how good it is in cans! Grapefruit Sculpin. If you happen to be in Philly and looking for a good quick tailgate setup - or even just a picnic - swing through South Philly near the river and grab some of the best roast pork in the world at John's Roast Pork. A perfect pairing with the Grapefruit Sculpin. Hell, in truth, both are damned near a perfect pairing with anything. Put these two together and you can't miss! Just make sure you have at least a 6 cans for every person, 'cause even at 7%, these babies go down wayyyyy too easy.

sFAhPXP.jpg

DAMN.... My mouth waters just looking at the f'n pic! Sorry if I brought on any unexpected munchies for anyone. :ugh:

Mr Mellish

Ok, we tried the Avery Pump(ky)n and the Rumpkin. Where I live, that's a $14 12 oz bottle.

We were impressed. These are big beers with deep flavors. In both cases, the alcohol barrel was beautifully controlled. It didn't punch you in the face, it sneaks in at the end and gives you this wonderful kiss. Very balanced despite the fact that it isn't my kind of beer.

Philreal187

The seasonal sampling continues!!

I had to pick up the weyerbacher imperial pumpkin, I liked it but seemed really heavy on spices like cinnamon as you finish this was from a bottle. Oddly enough my girl like it a lot and the next day brought home a growler of it that she picked up from mad mex while getting food, ( I love this girl :love: )
I found it to be much more balanced from draft and really liked so thank you @Mr Mellish

z25ci8j.jpg

From boulevard brewing I found this funky pumpkin spice sour ale, it was cheap so I really didn't expect much just had to try it haha. Turned out pretty drinkable nothing crazy in flavor just a bit tart at the end.

TUMPLxq.jpg

Elysian Night Owl is one of my favorites from the years past, I know the are bought out by bud so I just got a bottle to give it a try and see if they started changing. I thought it was what I remember which is a good pumpkin ale.

75DIhot.jpg

This beer really surprised me I got it because Anderson Valley seems to put out pretty good stuff it was cheap I think $3.25 a bottle. It was a very full body beer more of a sipping beer because there was so much flavor not the usual dessert pumpkin beer at all, more like a well spiced brown ale!

d2CY3LY.jpg

Great lakes made my favorite Oktoberfest last year and that holds true for this year too. I loved this beer and even my girl said it was a great beer.

tIG6YM8.jpg

Finally the best for last. Full Pint brewery Night of the Living Stout! This was brewed with dry hops this year and starts off like a black ipa and finishes with everything you love about a stout! Definitely will be getting more of these!!

s2ZgNjZ.jpg

I have been working at a local brewery called Reclamation Brewing for just over a month now and really love it. I spend half my day talking about craft beer! With that said I feel obligated to try more local seasonal stuff to keep up! I actually get to go to a new brewery Dancing Gnome for a soft open with my work and others in the local industry, its like a dream come true!

On top of that the owners of brewery I work for offered their home brew kit to me to practice and make my own beer, so down the rabbit hole I go!! :freak:

Mr Mellish

I have been working at a local brewery called Reclamation Brewing for just over a month now and really love it. I spend half my day talking about craft beer! With that said I feel obligated to try more local seasonal stuff to keep up! I actually get to go to a new brewery Dancing Gnome for a soft open with my work and others in the local industry, its like a dream come true!

On top of that the owners of brewery I work for offered their home brew kit to me to practice and make my own beer, so down the rabbit hole I go!! :freak:

Good luck with the brewing! Syrup or grain?

BD9

@Philreal187, Congratulations on the new gig!

Top Bottom