1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

Any serious beer drinkers in forum?

Discussion in 'The Vapor Lounge' started by charliedontsurf, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Shannock

Shannock Well-Known Member

Can't believe I haven't seen this thread before!

[​IMG]

Nice Belgium Triple to start things off.

:peace:

Kozzmozz, GetLeft, VegNVape and 5 others like this.
  2. OldNewbie

OldNewbie Well-Known Member

I know little of beer, but have a question. What is a "Triple"? I remember going to a smoker once where great food, great beer and cigars was on the menu. One of the "beers" was called a triple bock. That thing tasted more like a liqueur than anything resembling beer whereas your picture has nowhere near the viscosity.

So, again, what makes it "triple"?

3. Shannock

Shannock Well-Known Member

Belgium beers tend to start Blonde with a single fermentation, then change darker in a 2nd (dubble) fermentation and lighten up again on the 3rd (Tríple).
    They also get stronger each time so the Triples are the head-knockers!:ko:

GetLeft, VegNVape, BD9 and 2 others like this.
  4. Vicki

Vicki Herbal Alchemist

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
    OldNewbie, GetLeft, VegNVape and 2 others like this.
  5. Vicki

Vicki Herbal Alchemist

please delete

6. Gettinbetter

Gettinbetter Well-Known Member

Had a couple of fun ones last night
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bizkat, OldNewbie, GetLeft and 3 others like this.
  7. BD9

BD9 Well-Known Member

8. XiolaOne

XiolaOne Firewood 4

Not very serious about my beer but I enjoy them. Picked up a six pack of Tiny Bomb, Shiner Bock white ale, Yazoo heffe and Yazoo Porter for the holidays

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
    GetLeft, BD9 and Philreal187 like this.
  9. BD9

BD9 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
  10. FlyingLow

FlyingLow Team NO SLEEP!

My favorite time of beer year...

Anderson valley winter solstice
    Sweetwater Feative Ale, this one ages beautifully and gets more complex each year aged.

11. BD9

BD9 Well-Known Member

@yogoshio, where you at?! :lol:

Brought home a six pack of 3 Floyds Zombie Dust brewed in Western Indiana. I have had it a few times before and thought it was good. Not sure it lives up to the hype, but it's pretty good.

6.2% ABV. Easy to drink and flavorful. Grapefruit, citrus and pine on the nose and palate. Bitterness is kept in check.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/26/64228/

[​IMG]

12. GetLeft

GetLeft Well-Known Member

You all are legitimate explorers and my hat's off to you. I'm more of stay at home type with my IPAs and Pale Ales (two strains that provide me with a pretty wide range of options on their own). I few years ago an acquaintance shared a growler of Otto's Double D IPA and I loved it but never bothered to drag my butt down the road to get my own growler full. A couple of months ago I picked up a case (24 12 oz. bottles) at my distributor and man I am I glad I did. I'm thinking that it's finding its way into the rotation. Smooth malt sided double; just enough hops to take you back for your second. Haven't made it to three yet. Not 'cause it's not delicious.

[​IMG]
    ABV 9.2%
    A big Imperial IPA packed with Columbus and Simcoe hops.
    Available in 12 oz six packs, 22 oz bottles, cases and kegs!

13. yogoshio

yogoshio Annoying Libertarian

Oh I'm around @BD9 lol

We were supposed to get dinner Friday at Three Floyds but something work related came up with the wifey. We will be going there hopefully this week or next, and I'll share with you all the wonders I will imbibe.

Bdubbdiblets, Philreal187 and BD9 like this.
  14. Mr Mellish

Mr Mellish Well-Known Member

Wait a minute... so you have occasional access to Dark Lord? I still dream of getting my hands on one.

Bdubbdiblets, BD9 and Philreal187 like this.
  15. BD9

BD9 Well-Known Member

Lagunitas Night Time Ale. A black IPA

Piney, malty, hints of spice. Very flavorful.

[​IMG]

16. BD9

BD9 Well-Known Member

Sorry for the bad pics. Not sure if it's me or the camera in my phone.

2 Pliny The Elder, 1 Avery Brewing Tweak, 1 Prairie Artisan Ales Christmas Bomb, 2 Hair Of The Dog Blue Dot, 1 Hair Of The Dog Fred, and finally, 1 Hair Of The Dog Putin.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Mr Mellish

Mr Mellish Well-Known Member

Pliny the Elder? I am not worthy.

Philreal187, BD9 and Bdubbdiblets like this.
  18. GetLeft

[​IMG]
    I love the southern tier ipa, kind of my go to at the moment. Tried their session ipa variety pack over the summer and wasn't knocked off my socks. Session and ipa just don't go together in my world. So I just picked this baby up a couple of hours ago. Giving them a little chill before I start the sampling. I'm excited. Hoping to expand my high abv options. Cause once in a while a high abv brew is called for.

19. Bdubbdiblets

Bdubbdiblets Well-Known Member

I'm stoopid for Hop Stoopid!!! Happy new year FC!!

:rockon::rockon::rockon:

BD9, Bizkat and Philreal187 like this.
  20. Philreal187

Philreal187 Well-Known Member

Been a bit busy lately and haven't posted in a while... but haven't stopped drinking great beer!!

Here is some awesome brews of the past few months.

The Alchemist Brewery petit mutant cherry sour
    [​IMG]

Saugatuck brewing co Blueberry maple stout
    [​IMG]

Dogfish head palo santo marron
    [​IMG]

Voodoo brewery rye ipa
    [​IMG]

Deschutes Brewery Fresh squeezed ipa
    [​IMG]

Draai laag brewing co extra special critters (esc) wild ale!
    [​IMG]

Voodoo brewery Vic secret pale ale Australian single hop pale ale
    [​IMG]

2016 super sours
    [​IMG]

Southern Tier 2x oak'd dipa with maple and oak chips
    [​IMG]

Speaking of Stbc two days before Christmas I got a call saying I was hired as a server for the southern tier brew pub in Pittsburgh! This is the company's first brew pub and also the first step of abv which is now the mother company that owns southern tier and victory brewing. Next week we open to the public and continue writing history for this growing brewery! I am truly blessed to have a chance to work there and expand my craft beer experience!

Before the chaos starts gotta take a second to enjoy this small victory!!

2014 Victory Brewing Old Horizontal barley wine
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
    duff, Bdubbdiblets, flotntoke and 6 others like this.
  21. GetLeft

Serious props @Philreal187 ! That must be some exciting work you're involved in. Love seeing posts of your adventurous exploits. Even more thrilled to see your association with Southern Tier. After the above referenced stbc variety pack I'm a confirmed full fledged fan. I've got the last unearthly waiting for me patiently. Flat out loved that variety pack and stbc is now one of my top two go-to breweries. The kind where you know that if you take a chance on a new beer it's going to be a winner so no risk. The other is Victory. I have a limited palate but I know good ipa when I taste it. And pale ale. And a few others. My sense with stbc is that it doesn't matter which direction you head in, you're headed in the right direction. Same with victory.

I didn't know these places sold out to bigger corporations (much less to the same one). I thought Victory was its own deal. Their setup in Downingtown was originally an in-house operation. And now has marketing all over the place and at least one other place in Parkesburg (probably more, too). Does the fact that they sell out to an 'overlord' type of thing mean they lose domain over their beer?

22. TwistedGray

TwistedGray Well-Known Member

Roughly 85% of the beer I drink I make myself with the exception being sours and ciders. I have tried ciders with no luck (not good), and I know a kettle sour is beyond my current set-up.

The first beer I made other than the cider was this Imperial Stout from last summer. It's now at the point where you can drink it...stouts take a long time for their flavors to transition.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

And after that I made a batch of several different IPAs: raspberry, hibiscus, cantaloupe, mango, and regular.
    [​IMG]

23. BD9

BD9 Well-Known Member

Bell's Hop Slam. A double IPA brewed with honey. Delicious!

[​IMG]

24. flotntoke

flotntoke thoroughly vaped

Victory, very fortunately for us beer lovers, didn't "sell out" to a larger corporation. My understanding is that they almost did, but developed a better plan. Victory and Southern Tier are now held under a company called Artisanal Brewing Ventures (ABV - cool, huh?). It's more of a collaboration of the two breweries with ABV providing capital that was much needed for Victory (not sure about STBC). ABV is actually held by a larger investment firm. Notice this is an investment firm, not a large brewing or alcohol company. They're in it to provide capital and collect profits - not to interfere with the very profitable brewing businesses VBC & STBC already have become. At least that's the plan, and so far it seems to be going well like this.

I think ABV is hoping to add other successful craft brewers in the future, but that only VBC & STBC are currently under them. Part of the deal is that both VBC & STBC maintain total control of their individual companies, with their own staffing from top to bottom - including all things related to brewing.

Much more good info about the whole thing here.

25. Bdubbdiblets

Bdubbdiblets Well-Known Member

damn near 10%, crazy world, love it with MJ, love period.

[​IMG]

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors