Any serious beer drinkers in forum?

Shannock

Can't believe I haven't seen this thread before!

X0M3VCj.jpg

Nice Belgium Triple to start things off.

:peace:

Tranquility

Nice Belgium Triple to start things off.

I know little of beer, but have a question. What is a "Triple"? I remember going to a smoker once where great food, great beer and cigars was on the menu. One of the "beers" was called a triple bock. That thing tasted more like a liqueur than anything resembling beer whereas your picture has nowhere near the viscosity.

So, again, what makes it "triple"?

Shannock

Belgium beers tend to start Blonde with a single fermentation, then change darker in a 2nd (dubble) fermentation and lighten up again on the 3rd (Tríple).
They also get stronger each time so the Triples are the head-knockers!:ko:

BD9

@yogoshio, where you at?! :lol:

Brought home a six pack of 3 Floyds Zombie Dust brewed in Western Indiana. I have had it a few times before and thought it was good. Not sure it lives up to the hype, but it's pretty good.

6.2% ABV. Easy to drink and flavorful. Grapefruit, citrus and pine on the nose and palate. Bitterness is kept in check.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/26/64228/

uie0hbSl.jpg

GetLeft

You all are legitimate explorers and my hat's off to you. I'm more of stay at home type with my IPAs and Pale Ales (two strains that provide me with a pretty wide range of options on their own). I few years ago an acquaintance shared a growler of Otto's Double D IPA and I loved it but never bothered to drag my butt down the road to get my own growler full. A couple of months ago I picked up a case (24 12 oz. bottles) at my distributor and man I am I glad I did. I'm thinking that it's finding its way into the rotation. Smooth malt sided double; just enough hops to take you back for your second. Haven't made it to three yet. Not 'cause it's not delicious.

Ottos_DoubleD_22oz_sm.png

ABV 9.2%
A big Imperial IPA packed with Columbus and Simcoe hops.
Available in 12 oz six packs, 22 oz bottles, cases and kegs!

yogoshio

Annoying Libertarian
Oh I'm around @BD9 lol

We were supposed to get dinner Friday at Three Floyds but something work related came up with the wifey. We will be going there hopefully this week or next, and I'll share with you all the wonders I will imbibe.

GetLeft

2014-STBC-superpack.png

I love the southern tier ipa, kind of my go to at the moment. Tried their session ipa variety pack over the summer and wasn't knocked off my socks. Session and ipa just don't go together in my world. So I just picked this baby up a couple of hours ago. Giving them a little chill before I start the sampling. I'm excited. Hoping to expand my high abv options. Cause once in a while a high abv brew is called for.

Philreal187

Been a bit busy lately and haven't posted in a while... but haven't stopped drinking great beer!!

Here is some awesome brews of the past few months.

The Alchemist Brewery petit mutant cherry sour
ZpHTc4m.jpg

Saugatuck brewing co Blueberry maple stout

Dogfish head palo santo marron
s3VUO3k.jpg

Voodoo brewery rye ipa
pTjGRZP.jpg

Deschutes Brewery Fresh squeezed ipa
ZnYKuNA.jpg

Draai laag brewing co extra special critters (esc) wild ale!
Av8p0yP.jpg

Voodoo brewery Vic secret pale ale Australian single hop pale ale
rdh6Iiv.jpg

2016 super sours
HK8Mytj.jpg

Southern Tier 2x oak'd dipa with maple and oak chips
0hOomBZ.jpg

Speaking of Stbc two days before Christmas I got a call saying I was hired as a server for the southern tier brew pub in Pittsburgh! This is the company's first brew pub and also the first step of abv which is now the mother company that owns southern tier and victory brewing. Next week we open to the public and continue writing history for this growing brewery! I am truly blessed to have a chance to work there and expand my craft beer experience!

Before the chaos starts gotta take a second to enjoy this small victory!!

2014 Victory Brewing Old Horizontal barley wine
d80hRzS.jpg

Last edited:

GetLeft

Serious props @Philreal187 ! That must be some exciting work you're involved in. Love seeing posts of your adventurous exploits. Even more thrilled to see your association with Southern Tier. After the above referenced stbc variety pack I'm a confirmed full fledged fan. I've got the last unearthly waiting for me patiently. Flat out loved that variety pack and stbc is now one of my top two go-to breweries. The kind where you know that if you take a chance on a new beer it's going to be a winner so no risk. The other is Victory. I have a limited palate but I know good ipa when I taste it. And pale ale. And a few others. My sense with stbc is that it doesn't matter which direction you head in, you're headed in the right direction. Same with victory.

I didn't know these places sold out to bigger corporations (much less to the same one). I thought Victory was its own deal. Their setup in Downingtown was originally an in-house operation. And now has marketing all over the place and at least one other place in Parkesburg (probably more, too). Does the fact that they sell out to an 'overlord' type of thing mean they lose domain over their beer?

TwistedGray

Roughly 85% of the beer I drink I make myself with the exception being sours and ciders. I have tried ciders with no luck (not good), and I know a kettle sour is beyond my current set-up.

The first beer I made other than the cider was this Imperial Stout from last summer. It's now at the point where you can drink it...stouts take a long time for their flavors to transition.
i-QWns2xr.jpg
i-m4V925P.jpg

And after that I made a batch of several different IPAs: raspberry, hibiscus, cantaloupe, mango, and regular.
i-pbC5t9t.jpg

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
Serious props @Philreal187 ! That must be some exciting work you're involved in. Love seeing posts of your adventurous exploits. Even more thrilled to see your association with Southern Tier. After the above referenced stbc variety pack I'm a confirmed full fledged fan. I've got the last unearthly waiting for me patiently. Flat out loved that variety pack and stbc is now one of my top two go-to breweries. The kind where you know that if you take a chance on a new beer it's going to be a winner so no risk. The other is Victory. I have a limited palate but I know good ipa when I taste it. And pale ale. And a few others. My sense with stbc is that it doesn't matter which direction you head in, you're headed in the right direction. Same with victory.

I didn't know these places sold out to bigger corporations (much less to the same one). I thought Victory was its own deal. Their setup in Downingtown was originally an in-house operation. And now has marketing all over the place and at least one other place in Parkesburg (probably more, too). Does the fact that they sell out to an 'overlord' type of thing mean they lose domain over their beer?

Victory, very fortunately for us beer lovers, didn't "sell out" to a larger corporation. My understanding is that they almost did, but developed a better plan. Victory and Southern Tier are now held under a company called Artisanal Brewing Ventures (ABV - cool, huh?). It's more of a collaboration of the two breweries with ABV providing capital that was much needed for Victory (not sure about STBC). ABV is actually held by a larger investment firm. Notice this is an investment firm, not a large brewing or alcohol company. They're in it to provide capital and collect profits - not to interfere with the very profitable brewing businesses VBC & STBC already have become. At least that's the plan, and so far it seems to be going well like this.

I think ABV is hoping to add other successful craft brewers in the future, but that only VBC & STBC are currently under them. Part of the deal is that both VBC & STBC maintain total control of their individual companies, with their own staffing from top to bottom - including all things related to brewing.

Much more good info about the whole thing here.

Top Bottom