1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

7th Floor SideKick

Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by VAPORIZER22, Oct 14, 2015.

1. ShayWhiteGrow

ShayWhiteGrow vAPEhOPPER

I guess it could be considered a morph of the 2, convection/conduction. Same as the mighty. The ring part heats up the chamber as the air comes under the load and passes threw it. The length on the vapor path then cools it considerably, not to mention the bubbler. Makes for a tasty session.:tup:

Prolusio and mayan like this.
  2. Vitolo

Vitolo Vaporist

There are as I said conductive components... but a purely conductive vaporizer depends on a tight pack, and herb being in tight proximity with itself so it can bake in it's chamber.
    The Sidekick does not perform like that. It does not work well with tightly packed loads, and as does any convection vape... SideKick requires stirring between hits (Like the SSV itself).
    The built in stirring device is there so that hot air can effectively pass through the herb which you are stirring.
    A conductive vape does not do all that well with a tiny load sitting loosely in a chamber.
    I can use a pinch in the sideKick and get great hits.
    I think that was my point.
    I have contacted 7th Floor and they will clarify this here in a short time.
    Meanwhile.... While we wait research has found a couple of online answers:
    Actually (and with all due respect) That is EXACTLY how it was presented.
    The Indica on it's website describes the unit as a conduction vape..... that if filled very loosely with a small amount of herbal matter will provide some convection activity.
    Go to http://www.vaporizerchief.com/sidekick-vaporizer/ and you will find the following:
    The SideKick is very interesting and uses convection heating technology to power the vaporizer to heat at the precise levels it gets to.
    The entire vaporizer is built out of high quality stainless steel, you will notice the difference in durability from all the resistant materials that the SideKick uses like the stainless steel frame, the all glass vaporization path and
    the powerful but precise convection heating system makes the SideKick a great start when buying a portable vaporizer.

Then go to 7th Floor website at
    http://7thfloorvapes.com/index.php/seventhfloorvapes/vaporizers/handheld/sidekick.html and you will find that 7th Floor itself agrees with my analysis (and other members like @ShayWhiteGrow) that the unit is a hybrid. This information is still on the website, and is 7th Floor LLCs current position:
    Stir the bowl with a push of your thumb! The SideKick is a
    conduction/convection hybrid vaporizer

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  3. stickstones

stickstones Vapor concierge

imo, the Sidekick is all or damn near all conduction. I'd love to hear if 7th floor thinks differently and can show us, but while I was doing my testing and was having conversations with them about it it seemed pretty clear that it is conduction. I think they backed off their earlier claims of convection going on.

My conclusion was that it is a conduction vape with a lot of design bells and whistles like the stir took, removable cooling rod and modular design. I love it with whole nuggets and it gets my herbs darker than just about any other vape I have, when used normally.

I don't typically like conduction vapes, but have started to warm up to them for certain situations. The only ones I use are the Sidekick and the Boundless vapes.

DocGonzo, ShayWhiteGrow and KeroZen like this.
  4. YungLeaner

YungLeaner Well-Known Member

I don't think a vaporizer needs a tight pack requirement to be labeled conduction. Conduction means that the heat in the vapor comes from the walls of the oven, not from the hot air moving through the oven upon inhale.

DocGonzo, ShayWhiteGrow and KeroZen like this.
  5. MinnBobber

MinnBobber Well-Known Member

On a conduction vape : without a tight pack, the heat does not transfer properly from the outer herb areas to the inner herb areas (the center of the chamber).
    Outer can be very brown and center ...not.

tubasco, Vitolo and YungLeaner like this.
  6. YungLeaner

I know a tight vape is preferable I was mostly implying that the Sidekick is a conduction, not convection vaporizer

7. Vitolo

Vitolo Vaporist

I messaged back and forth with the owner of 7th Floor LLC... The creator of Da Buddha, Life Saber, SSV, SSSV, and SideKick.
    I told him of our conversation here, and he wrote me his take on the topic, and said that I could quote him.
    For doing dry herbs it is 80% conduction and 20% convection. For concentrates it is 50/50 conduction/convection.

He believes the air is heated by the outside of the heater, then as it passes through the heater it is using some heated air.
    He said:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  8. subway13029

subway13029 Well-Known Member

Alright guys I'm in on the sidekick..got me a handy dandy unit to put through the paces and see how I like this baby..first impressions are it is a solid feeling vape..it has definitely got some weight..might be one of my heaviest portables..it is up there with minivap and battery attached..but it fits in the hand nice with its curves and I really like the accessories and the ability to take it apart to clean..so enough of first impressions..ill be back later to give a review of how I like her..and tips or tricks to this thing?

Vitolo, Philreal187 and MinnBobber like this.
  9. Vitolo

Vitolo Vaporist

A medium grind (like oregano), and do not overpack the unit, so the stir works well.
    The unit is fast to heat up.. so don't go get a drink while waiting for it to arrive at temperature.
    Take note of the flavor!
    The Pax Button (on Pax 1) was a nightmare.
    and you are correct, according to the creator of this vaporizer.
    Those that felt it a convection system are not wrong, however, as some convection goes on.
    Some portables like the Pax have no convection going on at all.
    7th Floor LLC has it going on.

Prolusio and ShayWhiteGrow like this.
  10. YungLeaner

Yeah, I know from my experience w/ Boundless that just a little bit of convection can make a world of difference in a portable. The conduction + convection combo is killer through water pipes and anyone looking for clouds

Prolusio, Vitolo and ShayWhiteGrow like this.
  11. KeroZen

KeroZen Chronic vapaholic

Thank you for the clarification @Vitolo, this is more in line with what I remembered from the beginning of this thread.

Also don't get me wrong, I'm one of those people who actually like conduction vapes. I prefer convection overall but when I'm away from home, say at the office or in transit, I prefer a good "mostly conduction" session, doing the temperature stepping and lasting 15-20 minutes. I think I like the pace, taking a little sip, then getting back to what I'm doing, then another sip etc. It's somewhat akin to smoking a cigarette where you don't usually take large hits (at least I didn't when I used to smoke)

I think the Sidekick is surely great, albeit subjectively highly priced... But the market is distorted with all these cheap asian vapes, it's impossible to beat them on price. I just didn't buy one because I think as I said in the early pages that it doesn't offer anything that I don't already have. But for someone looking for a new "mostly conduction" vape right now, it's is a model I could see myself recommending.

Prolusio, Vitolo and HD Springer like this.
  12. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy FUCK CANCER TOO !

I would add to that salient point that to the extent the word "distorted" implies a temporary condition or state, that such word choice is largely an inaccurate descriptor in this instance and that in reality the economics of "east meets west" in the vaporizer market currently is in actuality a transition moving toward a new equilibrium in the market wherein prices in the west are pulled downward and the Asian prices are pushed upward. I mean, when you think about it, why should the geo-economics of the vaporizer market behave any differently than other electronic, consumer markets?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
    Tommy10 and KeroZen like this.
  13. stickstones

stickstones Vapor concierge

Here's where I think you might be surprised. It has a lot of new things to offer the conduction market, including a wonderfully effective after path that chills the vapor excellently, replaceable batteries, color and glass options and the stir tool. I think the design is fantastic and effective. I just wish it had a convection heater in it. It's not my favorite vapor, but I think it can be called the Mercedes of conduction vapes. It's certainly priced like it.

14. KeroZen

KeroZen Chronic vapaholic

Yes you are right, it appears to have at least two important improvements over your average ceramic oven vape. Let's say it would be an upgrade compared to some stuff I already have, but the price is too high for the perceived gain that it would offer me.

Now if I had not already a shitload of conduction vapes, maybe it would be a different story...

bonez, WakeAndVape, AJS and 4 others like this.
  15. Jack Sprat

Jack Sprat Well-Known Member

The Sidekick is made in China, which seems relevant to this conversation.

Fat Freddy likes this.
  16. Vitolo

Vitolo Vaporist

The body of Da Buddha, the Life Saber, The Silver Surfer, and SideKick are outsourced
    Each unit is assembled and tested by American workers - not in China
    You have already mentioned this in 6 separate posts in this one thread.
    We get it.... you do not like that the parts are built in China.

If you would stop focusing on your one single point, and read the posts between your complaints, you will read the answer, and see why people are so interested in it!
    Parts of the SideKick Housing are made in China.
    No need to repeat or paraphrase this sentiment again.
    (to be fair... I see that you are fast to criticize anything that is made in China)
    The following are all from different Vaporizer threads:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  17. lwien

lwien Well-Known Member

Vitolo likes this.
  18. Vitolo

Vitolo Vaporist

I just tried packing the SK as I would pack a traditional conduction vape.
    I packed it good and tight.
    The first couple of stirs were tight, but to my surprise as the load vaped, it became easier and easier to stir.
    It was a good, and long session.
    The load came out pretty finely powdered (and dark), from the constant stir under heat.
    I prefer the not so tightly packed fine/medium grind, for taste and for ease of use.

19. Vapologist

Vapologist HamsterDAMAGED

I don't see anywhere in this thread that deals with pass-through. Bueller?

20. Vitolo

Vitolo Vaporist

I do not see any pass through potential here, the way things stand.. The batteries remove for charging, and the battery door is the contact as well as the entrance to the removable vortex pathway.
    I imagine you are referring to vaping while plugged in.
    I use the SSV if I want to be "wall bound", and the SideKick for freedom.

IAmKrazy2, Prolusio and mayan like this.
  21. mayan

mayan Well-Known Member

Hi Vitolo, thanks for your posts...as a fellow SideKicker, I find them helpful. I'm curious...what's your go-to temp?

Vitolo likes this.
  22. Vitolo

Vitolo Vaporist

I was going at 7.5 but I found that the flavor at 6 was supreme, and the load lasts a bit longer at 6!

23. mayan

mayan Well-Known Member

Thanks, Vitolo...yep...that just about tracks my experience. Started at the default for a bit and then drifted downwards to 5.5 - 6.5 (and occasionally up to 7). That gives me great gouts of cloud and a whole lot less really baked material at the outset.

ShayWhiteGrow, Prolusio and Vitolo like this.
  24. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy FUCK CANCER TOO !

CalyxSmokr, ShayWhiteGrow and AJS like this.
  25. ShayWhiteGrow

ShayWhiteGrow vAPEhOPPER

Yea my sweet spot with flower has been starting on 5.5 ending on 7. Tastes awesome!!:tup:

mayan likes this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors